The MPAA wants to strike at the connective tissue of the internet!

TechFanboy

"A leaked legal memo reveals a plan for blacklisting pirate sites at the ISP level"

Most anti-piracy tools take one of two paths: they either target the server that's sharing the files (pulling videos off YouTube or taking down sites like The Pirate Bay) or they make it harder to find (delisting offshore sites that share infringing content). But leaked documents reveal a frightening line of attack that's currently being considered by the MPAA: What if you simply erased any record that the site was there in the first place?
To do that, the MPAA's lawyers would target the Domain Name System (DNS) that directs traffic across the internet. The tactic was first proposed as part of the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) in 2011, but three years after the law failed in Congress, the MPAA has been looking for legal justification for the practice in existing law and working with ISPs like Comcast to examine how a system might work technically. If the system works, DNS-blocking could be the key to the MPAA's long-standing goal of blocking sites from delivering content to the US. At the same time, it represents a bold challenge to the basic engineering of the internet, threatening to break the very backbone of the web and drawing the industry into an increasingly nasty fight with Google.

The MPAA’s legal argument centers on the claim that DNS records are working as an index or directory rather than simply routing data. If that argument holds, then the DNS links could be vulnerable to the same takedown notices used to strike torrent links from Google searches. The net effect would be similar to site-blocking, making it as easy to unplug a URL as it is to take down a YouTube video. It would also cast DNS providers as legally responsible for all the sites on the web, the same way YouTube is responsible for every video uploaded to its network. For many providers, simply managing the flood of notices might create a logistical nightmare.
There are still serious technical problems with the approach. Determined users would be able to get around the block by typing the IP address directly into their browsers, or by configuring their computers to use a DNS server that's not affected by the block. Standard circumvention tools like VPNs and Tor will also find it easy to get around the block. But the MPAA’s goal is primarily to deter and marginalize file-sharing, so forcing any would-be pirates to reconfigure their DNS setting might be enough. As one technical analysis notes, "notwithstanding the availability of these circumvention techniques, it does not appear that the majority of users are employing them to evade blocks of pirate sites."

Comms Act and DMCA Safe Harbor

https://www.scribd.com/doc/250250989/Comms-Act-and-DMCA-Safe-Harbor

Source://http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/16/7401769/the-mpaa-wants-to-strike-at-dns-records-piracy-sopa-leaked-documents

Whatever, still won't work.

i7-5820k  |  MSI X99S SLI-Plus  |  4x4GB HyperX 2400 DDR4  |  Sapphire Radeon R9 295X2  |  Samsung 840 EVO 1TB x2  |  Corsair AX1200i  |  Corsair H100i  |  NZXT H440 Razer

the MPAA can fuck off, bunch of bastards. Its good that tech giants like Google are starting to say NO to them.

Edit: anyone who wants to pirate still won't be stopped by this, if all it takes is TOR a VPN or another DNS server. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

That still assuming you use unsecure connections without a VPN and ISP DNS servers so good luck: keep pissing in the wind.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I wish the Tech News section could stop using exclamation points in the headlines... Its really sensationalist.

I'm pretty sure they have already been doing DNS blocks for a while. They are also useless because all the DNS does is convert human-friendly names into IP addresses and vice-versa. To get around this block all you have to do is type the website's IP instead.

For example if http://www.google.com was DNS blocked all you have to do is navigate to http://74.125.228.8/ instead and wham bam there you go.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

I wish the Tech News section could stop using exclamation points in the headlines... Its really sensationalist.

I'm pretty sure they have already been doing DNS blocks for a while. They are also useless because all the DNS does is convert human-friendly names into IP addresses and vice-versa. To get around this block all you have to do is type the website's IP instead.

For example if http://www.google.com was DNS blocked all you have to do is navigate to http://74.125.228.8/ instead and wham bam there you go.

Well That's how news is? Right? They make it So SentSational.

Right it's almost like this amateur members of the community that just link to news for fun can never satisfy strict journalistic standards! I mean is like nobody here is getting paid to go out of their way and post and comment on news items, the nerve!

-------

Current Rig

-------

So switch your DNS server and all is well? I mean, its not like the ISP can somehow lock you into using their DNS, correct?

I use Google DNS to get past the blacklist on music streaming sites at work. Was pretty easy to figure out what was going on when a giant OpenDNS logo pops up saying the site was restricted.

If people are so against the MPAA, why not just stop watching movies and bycott them altogether, that means no pirating as well though. That will effectively cripple them within 5 months or so...

PC in Profile

M8 why do you hate night theme users ? set the font color to AUTO AUTO AUTO AUTO.

@TechFanboy

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

it won't work, it never works.

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

Eat me alive but i dont wanna get rid of piracy EVER for a very simple reason,if tomorow lets say all piracy is eliminated,all the content thats unavaible in certain countries we wont even know it ever existed,and all the corporations will make media a luxury, sure its artists who have to gain something,but with easy online digital media distribution they should be cheap,and regulated to each country's specific economy.

I mean lets take as an example anime shows from Japan that are never avaible around Europe,1 season alone costs ~80$(link example),FYI salarys in Romania minimum wage is 180euro and 350 euro average,you want me to pay half salary for 1 season alone?if its affordable in Japan (prolly not either) it doesnt mean it should have even higher prices@Europe, piracy should stay and we should keep it alive as long as possible.

In other words atm entertainment media is overpriced and bad distributed,if piracy wouldnt exist all media would suddenly become even higher priced or luxury,for me media(music,shows,series,films) are like daily food must be affordable,what corporations want by keep trying to control the internet with SOPA/PIPA/ACTA is exactly what my concern is,overpriced media with no way to pirate so you either can afford or F off,they dont give a shit about authors rights,they want a way to stop piracy so they can rip us off.

Did i mention how television is pretty much dead? theres nothing to see no new movies only 5+ year old ones,music same mainstream bs,no anime channels no anything how can they expect a person to not pirate?its almost a year i canceled my TV cable,waste of money.

Why doesnt the movie industry already have a platform like Popcorn Time where you can log in your account pay like 2-3$ and watch a movie subbed full HD on demand ?if you go to cinema and pay 5euro/7$ you are renting a cine spot not just the movie so online should be much cheaper.

Should i even bother mention games? all games just come out 50-60euro regardless of how many hours of gameplay they offer,with no demos or trials,with tons of DLC content that should be ingame in the first place,ruined game ports with issues on pc's etc,i wont support that.

Since digital media doesnt have a per-copy production cost you just send a command to a pc and copy data bit numbers that end up looking like a game or movie on your screen,each copy does involve a worker + raw materials to produce like a car for example.All media should be cheap,much cheaper than it is,until then long live piracy,the artists deserve the income,the corporations and their business practices dont.

Sorry for bad english.

I'm all for getting rid of piracy but this isn't the way.

except the way things are "pirated" isn't actually illegal. 

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

What gives you that idea? That sure as hell isn't the case here. Even if it isn't illegal it still isn't okay.

I'm pretty sure transmitting a copy of anything you don't have the rights to is illegal in most countries.

I'm all for getting rid of piracy but this isn't the way.

Agree, although not too sure if I want piracy gone, or just the excessive self entitlement attitude some people have about it.  I can understand countries where content is prohibited or excessively expensive (china, russia, brazil),  But some of the remarks made by people on this forum are akin to a spoilt child crying because mummy said no more lollies.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

What gives you that idea? That sure as hell isn't the case here. Even if it isn't illegal it still isn't okay.

the way torrents work is the uploader has to purchase the content, then its just sharing, only illegal if somebody tries to sell the shared copy. Its no different from buying a dvd and letting friends borrow it or burning copies for them, legal to share the copies but only illegal if you try sell the copies. If you buy a game for Wii your friends can play with you, you don't need to buy a license for each person to play.

I'm pretty sure transmitting a copy of anything you don't have the rights to is illegal in most countries.

Its not about entitlement, its about whats true. Piracy is illegal but the way torrent sharing works is not, however it doesn't help the cause that the most famous site is named The "Pirate" Bay

the way torrents work is the uploader has to purchase the content, then its just sharing, only illegal if somebody tries to sell the shared copy. Its no different from buying a dvd and letting friends borrow it or burning copies for them, legal to share the copies but only illegal if you try sell the copies. If you buy a game for Wii your friends can play with you, you don't need to buy a license for each person to play.

Its not about entitlement, its about whats true. Piracy is illegal but the way torrent sharing works is not, however it doesn't help the cause that the most famous site is named The "Pirate" Bay

This.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

nope, totally wrong.

It is illegal to transmit a copy of any works you do not have the rights to by any method.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Yes, it's true some people on this forum feel entitled, however regardless of how a torrent works (which is not and has not been in question) transmitting copyright material is illegal regardless of the method.

This is wrong. Distributing a copy of copyrighted content without consent from the copyright holder is very illegal no matter if you charge for it or not.

nope, totally wrong.

It is illegal to transmit a copy of any works you do not have the rights to by any method.

the uploader had to purchase the rights, from then its legal sharing just like sharing a dvd with your friends, the law cannot say who your friends are and it can't say you aren't allowed to share with a complete stranger either. 1 license was paid for and as long as the 1 same license doesn't get paid for by multiple people then there is no breach in the license. Piracy became a prominent issue when people started SELLING burned dvd and cd copies, you are legally allowed to burn copies for personal use, giving something away is a personal choice of how to use something, selling it is too unless you sell the copies in which case the company owning the rights to your license is not making a profit - THAT is what piracy is. Now its the digital age and sharing is digital, torrent uploaders do it for whatever their reasons but any money they make is in the form of donations to continue purchasing content to upload, NOT the sale of said content, its not illegal to give somebody money regardless of if you know how they'll spend it.