The MPAA wants to strike at the connective tissue of the internet!

TechFanboy

^^^^That^^^^

This is wrong. Distributing a copy of copyrighted content without consent from the copyright holder is very illegal no matter if you charge for it or not.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

the uploader had to purchase the rights, from then its legal sharing just like sharing a dvd with your friends, the law cannot say who your friends are and it can't say you aren't allowed to share with a complete stranger either. 1 license was paid for and as long as the 1 same license doesn't get paid for by multiple people then there is no breach in the license. Piracy became a prominent issue when people started SELLING burned dvd and cd copies, you are legally allowed to burn copies for personal use, giving something away is a personal choice of how to use something, selling it is too unless you sell the copies in which case the company owning the rights to your license is not making a profit - THAT is what piracy is. Now its the digital age and sharing is digital, torrent uploaders do it for whatever their reasons but any money they make is in the form of donations to continue purchasing content to upload, NOT the sale of said content, its not illegal to give somebody money regardless of if you know how they'll spend it.

You're still wrong. You don't buy the license to share a DVD, you buy the license to personally enjoy it yourself. You are not allowed to share it with your friends. For personal use means for YOUR personal use. Giving something away is not personal use, that makes it someone else's personal use. It has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not you are paid for it, it's the fact that you are diminishing the revenue an artist can earn from his product that makes it illegal. By your logic only one license needs to be obtained after which it can then be shared freely to every man on earth, which in the end means no more artists, no more music, no more movies and no more games. The copyright infringement laws are in place to protect both the content creator and the consumers.

That still assuming you use unsecure connections without a VPN and ISP DNS servers so good luck: keep pissing in the wind.

that actually makes a very valid point, use google dns and then vpn so that the traffic cant be meddled with and once again you are around censorship

the uploader had to purchase the rights, from then its legal sharing just like sharing a dvd with your friends, the law cannot say who your friends are and it can't say you aren't allowed to share with a complete stranger either. 1 license was paid for and as long as the 1 same license doesn't get paid for by multiple people then there is no breach in the license. Piracy became a prominent issue when people started SELLING burned dvd and cd copies, you are legally allowed to burn copies for personal use, giving something away is a personal choice of how to use something, selling it is too unless you sell the copies in which case the company owning the rights to your license is not making a profit - THAT is what piracy is. Now its the digital age and sharing is digital, torrent uploaders do it for whatever their reasons but any money they make is in the form of donations to continue purchasing content to upload, NOT the sale of said content, its not illegal to give somebody money regardless of if you know how they'll spend it.

Um, I think you need to check the laws.  buying a dvd does not give you the right to share it. You can only make a copy for private use, once you transmit it over the internet or give a copy to someone else you are breaking copyright law.  You are not allowed to share copyright content. 

Some examples:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2012/sep/11/minnesota-woman-songs-illegally-downloaded

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/25/joel-tenenbaum-music-fine-downloading_n_3500076.html

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

This.

Um, I think you need to check the laws.  buying a dvd does not give you the right to share it. You can only make a copy for private use, once you transmit it over the internet or give a copy to someone else you are breaking copyright law.  You are not allowed to share copyright content. 

Some examples:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2012/sep/11/minnesota-woman-songs-illegally-downloaded

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/25/joel-tenenbaum-music-fine-downloading_n_3500076.html

So if i buy a movie dvd i must watch alone cause else its sharing? 

If you listen to the anti torrenting crowd, yes.

Any and all information, entertainment, data, input, stimulus, what ever you want to call it, unless it comes from you, does not belong to you, and you may only enjoy those things if and when you can afford to pay for hem.

Except whatever qualifies as public use, I guess.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

You're still wrong. You don't buy the license to share a DVD, you buy the license to personally enjoy it yourself. You are not allowed to share it with your friends. For personal use means for YOUR personal use. Giving something away is not personal use, that makes it someone else's personal use. It has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not you are paid for it, it's the fact that you are diminishing the revenue an artist can earn from his product that makes it illegal. By your logic only one license needs to be obtained after which it can then be shared freely to every man on earth, which in the end means no more artists, no more music, no more movies and no more games. The copyright infringement laws are in place to protect both the content creator and the consumer

I can't even describe how wrong that is. Copies only diminish revenue if they're paid for, and no laws prevent sharing otherwise it would be illegal to watch a movie with people who don't own it. Copy Right laws are in place to protect the PROFIT, and they need to be reformed to address digital sharing, but they not yet so the laws for physical content -which allow copies and sharing if there is no profit- apply to digital as well until they are updated.

I can't even describe how wrong that is. Copies only diminish revenue if they're paid for, and no laws prevent sharing otherwise it would be illegal to watch a movie with people who don't own it. Copy Right laws are in place to protect the PROFIT, and they need to be reformed to address digital sharing, but they not yet so the laws for physical content -which allow copies and sharing if there is no profit- apply to digital as well until they are updated.

The level of stupid in this thread has hit an all time high.

Normally I vie away from insults but the level of ignorance is baffling.  I suggest you find some laws or evidence to support what you are saying before you continue.

Judges have said that consumers have a right to copy a DVD for their own use—say, for backing it up to another disk or perhaps watching it on another device, such as an iPod. That's the same "fair use" rule that made it legal to tape television shows for watching later, perhaps on a different TV

http://money.usnews.com/money/personal-finance/technology/articles/2009/09/30/is-it-legal-to-copy-a-dvd

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

You can only make a copy for private use

Giving somebody the copy of that license is a private choice of how to use it, and that is legal. The thing is that digital copying like torrents are just that but on a massive scale which is why until laws are reformed to properly address digital content the law is the same as with physical copies.

And current copy right laws technically only come into place if profit is made that doesn't go to the company, its the profit that the company loses but only if there is profit, giving away has no profit. 

IIRC, Russia tried this to block anti-government blogs.

The bloggers changed their DNS records to servers of government sites. The government sites were then unreachable. Hilarious, really....

Giving somebody the copy of that license is a private choice of how to use it, and that is legal. The thing is that digital copying like torrents are just that but on a massive scale which is why until laws are reformed to properly address digital content the law is the same as with physical copies.

And current copy right laws technically only come into place if profit is made that doesn't go to the company, its the profit that the company loses but only if there is profit, giving away has no profit. 

I can't even describe how wrong that is. Copies only diminish revenue if they're paid for, and no laws prevent sharing otherwise it would be illegal to watch a movie with people who don't own it. Copy Right laws are in place to protect the PROFIT, and they need to be reformed to address digital sharing, but they not yet so the laws for physical content -which allow copies and sharing if there is no profit- apply to digital as well until they are updated.

Please tell me how this makes any kind of sense in your head at all. 

If you give your friend a copy of a game, DVD or CD you bought he's not going to buy it himself but instead use the one you gave him. This is a lost customer and diminishes the possible revenue.

You're wrong and there are countless of cases to back it up.

The level of stupid in this thread has hit an all time high.

Normally I vie away from insults but the level of ignorance is baffling.  I suggest you find some laws or evidence to support what you are saying before you continue.

http://money.usnews.com/money/personal-finance/technology/articles/2009/09/30/is-it-legal-to-copy-a-dvd

What insult?

"Judges have said that consumers have a right to copy a DVD for their own use—say, for backing it up to another disk or perhaps watching it on another device, such as an iPod. "

those are just examples, giving something to somebody is a private choice on how to use it And torrent are just that on a massive scale- Until copyright law are reformed to properly address digital content then the same laws apply the way they do to the physical versions.

If you give your friend a copy of a game, DVD or CD you bought he's not going to buy it himself but instead use the one you gave him. This is a lost customer and diminishes the possible revenue.

Its only lost revenue If I make a profit on it, and its not potentially lost revenue unless that friend was going to buy the game anyway.

Its only lost revenue If I make a profit on it, and its not potentially lost revenue unless that friend was going to buy the game anyway.

Your profit has absolutely nothing to do with the artists potential revenue.

What insult?

those are just examples, giving something to somebody is a private choice on how to use it And torrent are just that on a massive scale- Until copyright law are reformed to properly address digital content then the same laws apply the way they do to the physical versions.

Jesus christ I give up.

Your profit has absolutely nothing to do with the artists potential revenue.

Jesus christ I give up.

If there is profit that doesn't go to the company that is called LOST REVENUE. And it only exists if I sell the copy to said person, that is what companies use to target prosecutions against "piracy" POTENTIAL REVENUE is what they use to make the number of Lost revenue look bigger because they can count all copies as lost sales when many people in possession of the copy would not or could not have purchased a license anyway.

Don't give up, debates are good for the mind, just provide valid counters, here is a free one for you: We live in different countries, maybe our laws are different?

Time to decentralize DNS?

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Giving somebody the copy of that license is a private choice of how to use it, and that is legal.

That is a private choice, but it is not private use under the law.  Private use means you use it, not someone else.  If you chose to give it to a friend you are no longer covered by fair use policy.  As soon as you give a copy of copyrighted material to someone else you are breaking copyright laws, specifically distribution of copyright material.

Whether we like it or not, be it moral or not and be it ethical or not, distributing means making copies available to other people and is against the law.  Making a copy for your own personal use is not.

That is a private choice, but it is not private use under the law.  Private use means you use it, not someone else.  If you chose to give it to a friend you are no longer covered by fair use policy.  As soon as you give a copy of copyrighted material to someone else you are breaking copyright laws, specifically distribution of copyright material.

Whether we like it or not, be it moral or not and be it ethical or not, distributing means making copies available to other people and is against the law.  Making a copy for your own personal use is not.

It is private use by law, giving it to that person IS you use of it, what they do with it is not your responsibility. By your reasoning letting a friend borrow a movie, copy or original, is illegal because they didn't buy it, or even buying the movie for them as a gift.

It is private use by law, giving it to that person IS you use of it, what they do with it is not your responsibility. By your reasoning letting a friend borrow a movie, copy or original, is illegal because they didn't buy it, or even buying the movie for them as a gift.

Not by my reasoning, by reasoning of the LAW.

You can lend your friend your copy to watch, but you cannot give him a copy to keep. 

EDIT: this is covered by the first-sale doctrine, where if you buy the original, you are permitted to lend it to a friend or resell it.  You are not allowed to give away copies or make money from renting it out.

Its not about entitlement, its about whats true. Piracy is illegal but the way torrent sharing works is not, however it doesn't help the cause that the most famous site is named The "Pirate" Bay

the way torrents work is the uploader has to purchase the content, then its just sharing, only illegal if somebody tries to sell the shared copy. Its no different from buying a dvd and letting friends borrow it or burning copies for them, legal to share the copies but only illegal if you try sell the copies. If you buy a game for Wii your friends can play with you, you don't need to buy a license for each person to play.

When a person buys a movie DVD or not you buy a license for you and you only to view that content. Sharing is in a gray area for the fact if you share a DVD you transfer you license to the other person for that period of time. But you can't copy a license.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Not by my reasoning, by reasoning of the LAW.

You can lend your friend your copy to watch, but you cannot give him a copy to keep. 

EDIT: this is covered by the first-sale doctrine, where if you buy the original, you are permitted to lend it to a friend or resell it.  You are not allowed to give away copies or make money from rent it out.

the law isn't written in a way that can truely cover any type of reasoning without another type being invalid, thats why there needs to be reform

the law isn't written in a way that can truely cover any type of reasoning without another type being invalid, thats why there needs to be reform

It might be confusing to some, and there might be a few grey areas where personal opinion or moral and ethical boundaries are crossed, however it is pretty black and white in this case.   if you distribute any copyrighted material without permission, you are breaking the law.  If you know of a law that invalidates this then feel free to post it, however my research indicates there are none.