White Heaven ~ Enderman's S340 mod/build log ~

Enderman

thanks

I was thinking of having the pump at the bottom where the SSDs are, below the mounting bracket

Then I could use some foam tape and dampen the vibrations of the D5

I cant decide if I want the pump facing the side, facing the front, or back, or vertical xD

Also I kinda have a problem, I asked EK and they're not coming out with a 30mm thick 280mm rad any time soon :( only the 45mm will be available

So since I don't want to cut the white bracket, I need to either use the CE280 45mm thick with no fans (and rely on my external airflow HEPA filter to do all the air moving work)

Or manage to get a black ice nemesis GTS (30mm thick) shipped from the US

Or just buy the huge alphacool monsta and completely remove the bracket, but this would completely remove the room for the pump on the bottom

how's the electricity bill ?

Not bad, electricity is pretty cheap here in vancouver

less than $100/mo if I remember correctly

my PC is on 24/7 but its not folding or anything, so it only uses like 50-100W

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

thanks

I was thinking of having the pump at the bottom where the SSDs are, below the mounting bracket

Then I could use some foam tape and dampen the vibrations of the D5

I cant decide if I want the pump facing the side, facing the front, or back, or vertical xD

Also I kinda have a problem, I asked EK and they're not coming out with a 30mm thick 280mm rad any time soon :( only the 45mm will be available

So since I don't want to cut the white bracket, I need to either use the CE280 45mm thick with no fans (and rely on my external airflow HEPA filter to do all the air moving work)

Or manage to get a black ice nemesis GTS (30mm thick) shipped from the US

Or just buy the huge alphacool monsta and completely remove the bracket, but this would completely remove the room for the pump on the bottom

Not bad, electricity is pretty cheap here in vancouver

less than $100/mo if I remember correctly

my PC is on 24/7 but its not folding or anything, so it only uses like 50-100W

Well Performance-PC is willing to ship to Canada, but I did a very rough calculation on their site, and it will probably cost around 30ish USD from UPS.

Not really worth it...

Is there no other option of 280mm rad in Canada?

Well Performance-PC is willing to ship to Canada, but I did a very rough calculation on their site, and it will probably cost around 30ish USD from UPS.

Not really worth it...

Is there no other option of 280mm rad in Canada?

ncix used to have black ice rads, but now anymore :(

I kinda dont want to use the giant alphacool rad, I saw in these benchmarks that monsta isnt that great with low speed fans http://thermalbench.com/2015/01/05/hardwarelabs-nemesis-480gts/5/

but the benchmark has nothing about the new EK radiators which have just come out recently...

the most common option now is the CE280 available both at NCIX and dazmode

and I really like how you can take off the shroud for painting (or I could even carbon wrap it since its so rectangular!)

but its 45mm thick

the S340 has 55mm of space between the case front and white bracket, thats enough for a 30mm rad+25mm fans

the 45mm EK rad would leave a 10mm gap between it and the bracket with no room for fans

I could use just my air filter to bring air in (it has more than enough airflow and pressure), but if I want to move the PC somewhere I will always need to take the filter with it

I kinda want to have two 140mm fans for backup incase anything happens though...

Maybe I should just cut the bracket and fit the 45mm rad, then that would solve all the problems

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

ncix used to have black ice rads, but now anymore :(

I kinda dont want to use the giant alphacool rad, I saw in these benchmarks that monsta isnt that great with low speed fans http://thermalbench.com/2015/01/05/hardwarelabs-nemesis-480gts/5/

but the benchmark has nothing about the new EK radiators which have just come out recently...

the most common option now is the CE280 available both at NCIX and dazmode

and I really like how you can take off the shroud for painting (or I could even carbon wrap it since its so rectangular!)

but its 45mm thick

the S340 has 55mm of space between the case front and white bracket, thats enough for a 30mm rad+25mm fans

the 45mm EK rad would leave a 10mm gap between it and the bracket with no room for fans

I could use just my air filter to bring air in (it has more than enough airflow and pressure), but if I want to move the PC somewhere I will always need to take the filter with it

I kinda want to have two 140mm fans for backup incase anything happens though...

Maybe I should just cut the bracket and fit the 45mm rad, then that would solve all the problems

If you do cut the bracket, then it would look uneven since there is a slit in the middle of the bracket. If you care for aesthetics.

But while browsing through NCIX, I found a 240mm 30mm thick Alphacool rad. It isn't 280mm but it's something you might want to consider. 

If you do cut the bracket, then it would look uneven since there is a slit in the middle of the bracket. If you care for aesthetics.

But while browsing through NCIX, I found a 240mm 30mm thick Alphacool rad. It isn't 280mm but it's something you might want to consider. 

yeah, i'm not sure what I think of alphacool rads after looking at those performance benchmarks :/

If I cut the bracket I would probably wrap it in white carbon fibre so you dont see the cut edge or the slit

Spoiler

yeah, i'm not sure what I think of alphacool rads after looking at those performance benchmarks :/

If I cut the bracket I would probably wrap it in white carbon fibre so you dont see the cut edge or the slit

They are no means consider "horrible"

Based on the benchmarks, it is just a few degrees warmer compared to Hardware Labs.

With that said, it is up to you whenever you want to go through the work of cutting the bracket and then wrapping it with Carbon Fiber or suffer with slightly warmer temperatures. 

Someone mentioned it up further, but I'm looking at the pics and seeing the large void between the Rad and the edge of the mobo/gpu and wondering why you don't slap 2 more loops in push/pull (or even Fractal's fans since they are B&W) to fill that void, add more positive pressure and airflow into the case, and increase the cooling potential of the closed loop?

I know you must have a valid reason, but I hope its a good one considering the benefits noted above.

PS. Nice build. ;-)

Someone mentioned it up further, but I'm looking at the pics and seeing the large void between the Rad and the edge of the mono/gpu and wondering why you don't slap 2 more loops in push/pull (or even Fractal's fans since they are B&W) to fill that void, add more positive pressure and airflow into the case, and increase the cooling potential of the closed loop?

I know you must have a valid reason, but I hope its a good one considering the benefits noted above.

PS. Nice build. ;-)

thats actually a pretty good idea, I didn't think of doing push pull

from the benchmarks push pull doesn't really have that big of a benefit over push or pull fans, but maybe it would be more significant for me becaus I run my fans at 400rpm...

I do kinda like seeing the black radiator fins instead of the ugly side of the fans (with the supports and fan hub)

but I will look into it now that the 140mm e-loops have been released :)

Spoiler

I think the biggest thing would be getting more airflow into the case and creating more positive pressure, tho that might be moot if you are running them that slow.

You must REALLY want a silent rig if you are running them at less than 700.

I think the biggest thing would be getting more airflow into the case and creating more positive pressure, tho that might be moot if you are running them that slow.

You must REALLY want a silent rig if you are running them at less than 700.

two 140s blowing in already make more pressure than the 120 blowing out, so pressure is fine

yeah I want a really quiet PC since it runs 24/7 in my room

The only things left creating noise still are my GPU and watercooling loop

a D5 pump and GPU waterblock will solve this problem when I get around to doing that in the near future

(im waiting for the next nvidia GPU generation before upgrading)

Spoiler

Wow this looks really good! I have a very similar setup, except I used a MSI Z97 Krait to match the black and white color scheme. I also used white cold cathode lights to light up the case since I thought they had a softer and more natural spread pattern. Anyways good work! :D

Professional Girl

Wow this looks really good! I have a very similar setup, except I used a MSI Z97 Krait to match the black and white color scheme of the s340. I also used white cold cathode lights to light up the case since I thought they had a softer and more natural spread pattern. Anyways good work! :D

Professional Girl

Wow this looks really good! I have a very similar setup, except I used a MSI Z97 Krait to match the black and white color scheme. I also used white cold cathode lights to light up the case since I thought they had a softer and more natural spread pattern. Anyways good work! :D

not done yet though...

looking to do some watercooling and aesthetic upgrades this winter :D

Spoiler

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update :)

I have made a new air intake design, much improved from my previous one.

post-4438-0-13356400-1449463385_thumb.jp

How it works:

A Blueair 203 air filter exhausts into 3 flexible air ducts, two 3" and one 4".

The two 3" air ducts enter a diagonally-cut box lid attached to the bottom of the PC.

There is stop-draft foam on the remaining 3 sides of the bottom of the case. This keeps all the airflow coming in from the box lid (on the left side panel) from escaping out the other sides.

The 4" air duct is attached to the rear of the case, where the vented PCI slot covers are.

post-4438-0-48918400-1449464612_thumb.jp

The improvements:

On minimum setting the front fans still get all the airflow they need, exhaust air comes out the top-front case opening.

Before there wasn't enough pressure and the front fans pulled unfiltered air from the top.

Rear 4" duct provides cold air directly beneath the GPU for cooler temps, and adds to the case air pressure.

PSU is now so cool the fan doesn't need to turn on

(before it didnt either, but now temps are lower and it can work at full load without turning on, and at idle lower temps increase life span)

Things left to do:

Need to buy a 1+7/8" vacuum tube to attach to the motherboard IO panel.

This will improve the airflow cooling the VRM and MOSFETS, and let me remove the assistant fan in the middle of the board.

top-pic-3.jpg

Spoiler

• 1 month later...

Here is an interesting article I found which I think is worth sharing:

https://martinsliquidlab.wordpress.com/2011/03/10/pump-noise-testing-round-1/

The pumps tested not only show that the D5 vario is the quietest pump (which confirms my assumptions) but also there are huge improvements in noise level from decoupling all pumps

pnr1-b-comparisondecoupled.png?w=614

without decoupling:

pnr1-b-comparisonmetal.png?w=614

So I have learnt my lesson, and I will no longer try to make a super compact "AiO" style loop with the pump on the CPU block

Clearly any pump will create vibration there (unless its something extremely weak like my H100i pump which is virtually silent but has a flow rate of 5 drops per minute :P)

My plan now is to save up for a D5 with a combined pump top+reservoir that is small enough to fit in the bottom right corner of my case

This will make the loop even more complicated, but I think this should give me the perfect silence I'm looking for.

TLDR there is nothing I can do to get a quieter pump/CPU block combo without sacrificing performance, so i'll save up for a D5

Spoiler

My plan now is to save up for a D5 with a combined pump top+reservoir that is small enough to fit in the bottom right corner of my case

Perhaps this top/res. I currently have one in shipping

post-214041-0-80444600-1453043175.jpg

Alphacool D5 Eisdecke pump top and reservoir.

CPU Intel Core i7 4790K Motherboard EVGA Z97 Stinger Core-3D GPU EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+ Storage 128 GB Samsung 850 Pro, 512 GB Samsung 850 EVO, 750GB HDD PSU Silverstone SX600-G Case Dan Cases A4-SFX v1 Cooling Custom Loop Monitor Acer Predator XB271HU (1440p), ASUS 1080p Keyboard TADA68 Mouse Logitech G502 Build Log Link

Perhaps this top/res. I currently have one in shipping

attachicon.gif1011327-2566ec16d9b3c1_600x600.jpg

Alphacool D5 Eisdecke pump top and reservoir.

that one looks pretty compact, lll look into it :)

thank you

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

Because of this thread, I also used the carbon fiber wrap on my S340. It really does look super dope!

Awesome! I love sharing ideas for other people to use :D

Glad you like it

Spoiler

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE!

I'm back! But this time with some stuff OUTSIDE my PC! :D

First upgrade: White cables

I notice something a lot of people neglect when building a fancy aesthetic PC is the peripheral and display and power cables coming out the back.

Sure you can hide them away, but why not make them look good instead?

SO I spent a few hundred bucks on flat white cables from amazon, and this is the start:

009.thumb.JPG.724a8a708efcd2fea1253540d6

008.thumb.JPG.9fbbd5b3ec0969af0f3761023c

56c138adab535_006(2).thumb.JPG.fe7a50574

56c138b5c3eec_003(2).thumb.JPG.7ac2301cd

56c138b902a04_002(2).thumb.JPG.74fa1f2f1

56c138b1f2707_004(2).thumb.JPG.5ea8b2433

As you can see, the power cable isnt white yet, and there is one ethernet cable that is too short and I cant wrap it with the others ('m waiting on a 3ft extension to arrive)

Here is my current list of white cables I have bought:

1x HDMI - 3ft

4x USB A to B - 5ft

2x USB A to B - 10ft

4x USB 3.0 M to F - 3ft

3x CAT7 - 25ft

2x CAT7 - 6ft

1x CAT 7 - 3ft (currently shipping)

2x XLR - 10ft (not flat)

1x extension cord - 25ft (for router outside my room)

3x 2 prong AC power - 8ft

1x AC power - 4ft (not flat + currently shipping)

3x AC power - 8ft (not flat + currently shipping)

2x RCA - 10ft (not flat + currently shipping)

As you can see, some cables such as audio and power dont have flat options, so just white is the best I can do (at least on amazon)

I will post pictures of all the cable management when I receive the final white cables that are currently shipping :)

Thanks for reading!

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, BurnerMC said:

So when are you going to be carbon fibre wrapping the 850 pro?

When I get a change to take it out of my PC :P

I like to keep my servers up as much as possible, and when I need to do maintenance I do it all at once.

I also need to clean install windows 10 some time to be able to use all my 32GB of ram, so I might buy another 850 pro, and I need to put some custom heatsinks on the ram

Currently with school I dont really have time, but in 2 months I'll be done and will have time to mod my SSD, ram, and also switch to windows10 :)

Spoiler

• 1 month later...

Is the carbon fibre wrap just some gift wrap o more legit stuff. And how did you make it stick?

7 minutes ago, DiegoWithLag said:

Is the carbon fibre wrap just some gift wrap o more legit stuff. And how did you make it stick?

its carbon fibre vinyl for cars

it has adhesive on one side, like a sticker

https://www.amazon.ca/s?me=A1ABUKS4N3GS7S

Spoiler