Asus Xonar DX or Onboard Realtek ALC892?

PlayModeOn

Hello,

I am aware that onboard vs discrete audio is a hot topic with people saying discrete is a waste of money and others saying onboard is very basic.

I look around forums and it is always inconclusive.

So I just want a bit of advice and clarification if I should purchase a discrete soundcard to replace my onboard Asrock 970 Extreme4 audio solution (Realtek ALC892).

Don't laugh, I consider my self an audiophile but I never owned any audio equipment over $150. I currently use a pair of Siberia V2 headset, it is designed for gaming but it is not bad for music and production, it cost around $100 Australian dollars. I have tried $100 and $200 headphones and I can pick up both big and subtle improvements of $200 over $100 headphones, I enjoy the subtle background sound and high frequency range of these $200 headphones of which I cannot pick it up with $100 headphones. So while my current headphone is clearly not $200 quality, can a soudncard like a Xonar DX can enhance the sound in both games and music, or I am just wasting money? I welcome any improvement - big and small.

Asus Xonar DX at my local PC shop is $89 Australian dollars, this is also true in other retails in Australia.

http://www.umart.com.au/umart1/pro/Products-details.phtml?id=10&id2=32&bid=9&sid=124952

My SIberia V2 headset:

http://steelseries.com/products/audio/steelseries-siberia-v2

It has a frequency range of 18-28000hz which is superb for crystal clear sound, especially in higher ranges. Bass is good and sharp, but too sharp. I tried to increase bass using Realtek audio manage but it feels like artificial.

Also last thing, Xonar DX has a virtual surround feature, what is this exactly? Does it work with any headphones? Is it good for gaming?

Thanks.

-Paul

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

So, do you feel like you need more volume?

I owned many realtek chips, it really depends on the manufacturer if theres no background noise and good quality sound.

All realtek chips I owned were really good quality. A dedicated soundcard makes only sense if you have background noise and you want low volume sources to play louder. As example: YouTube music.

A external soundcard has most of the time, a better microphone input (lower mic background noise and is louder) and can fire better quality Headphones louder. The difference you hear most of the time is the Equalizer, built in, in the manufacturers software or better response time etc.

If you are "skilled?" enough, you can customize your Realtek Equalizer that your 3$ samsung in ears sound like 200$

So if you need more Volume, want lower background noise and a better microphone input, I would go for a soundcard.

An internal soundcard is still vulnerable to interference and so forth inside your system so even if you needed an upgrade that wouldn't be the way to go. And if you are not currently experiencing audio problems like static, clicks, pops then you probably wouldn't get much out of an external amp/DAC either. Generally if you don't like how a headphone sounds that means that it is time to get a different headphone.

'audiophile' don't really consider/care about soundcards...

If that's true then no one wouldn't even buy those $200 soundcards.

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

My headphone just broke. Great. My priority has changed.

If that's true then no one wouldn't even buy those $200 soundcards.

People who buy those are either:

- gamers who 'desperately' need the brands' virtual surround, such as Dolby Headphone, CMSS, and whatnot

or

- misinformed people, reading the word 'audiophile grade' in the cards' features and spec sheets

Like said above, sound cards (and pretty much everything inside a PC case, actually) are vulnerable to EMI and noises. Not to mention the big output impedance of sound cards that'd potentially make headphones sound bad.

'Audiophiles', which one definition would be 'perfectionists when it comes to sound quality', would go for external devices altogether, even if only for the lower output impedance.

- gamers who 'desperately' need the brands' virtual surround, such as Dolby Headphone, CMSS, and whatnot

or

- misinformed people, reading the word 'audiophile grade' in the cards' features and spec sheets

Like said above, sound cards (and pretty much everything inside a PC case, actually) are vulnerable to EMI and noises. Not to mention the big output impedance of sound cards that'd potentially make headphones sound bad.

'Audiophiles', which one definition would be 'perfectionists when it comes to sound quality', would go for external devices altogether, even if only for the lower output impedance.

Good point.

But now I need a new headphone, my Siberia V2 just broke. There is a mall 5mins from my place so would anyone recommend this headphone?

Sennheiser 439 https://www.jbhifi.com.au/headphones-dj/headphones/sennheiser/sennheiser-hd-439-over-ear-hi-fi-headphones/83465/

I'm sure there are better headphones online but then I have to wait for delivery so using a computer without sound is not ideal :(

Good point.

But now I need a new headphone, my Siberia V2 just broke. There is a mall 5mins from my place so would anyone recommend this headphone?

Sennheiser 439 https://www.jbhifi.com.au/headphones-dj/headphones/sennheiser/sennheiser-hd-439-over-ear-hi-fi-headphones/83465/

I'm sure there are better headphones online but then I have to wait for delivery so using a computer without sound is not ideal :(

They are pretty good for the price and widespread availability. You can even increase bass response with a simple mod if desired.

They are pretty good for the price and widespread availability. You can even increase bass response with a simple mod if desired.

Yes I will pick this one up first thing tomorrow morning unless someone else recommend me a better headphone around the same price.

EDIT: I never mod a headphone before, how do you increase the base response of that?

I think you open them and remove one thin layer of paper that is blocking the speaker backside

Good point.

Are you happy to buy online?  If so when you are at JB try out the hd280pro. if you like then you can get them on ebay (reputable store) for  $129 . Although I believe JB have them on special for $139 at the moment.  Also try the cheaper of the 400 series, I believe they sound very similar just have a cheaper head band and pads.  

EDIT: also try at jb, but check the price at the goodguys because they can be a bit cheaper on the ticket price.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Are you happy to buy online?  If so when you are at JB try out the hd280pro. if you like then you can get them on ebay (reputable store) for  $129 . Although I believe JB have them on special for $139 at the moment.  Also try the cheaper of the 400 series, I believe they sound very similar just have a cheaper head band and pads.  

EDIT: also try at jb, but check the price at the goodguys because they can be a bit cheaper on the ticket price.

Thanks. But because I need a headphone now or else I'll have to use my computer without sound so buying online is not an option because it can take awhile for it to deliver. I am studying and learning Maya and UDK so I need hear and follow tutorials and playing games for pleasure. I'll check this HD280 out while I am there.

Thanks. But because I need a headphone now or else I'll have to use my computer without sound so buying online is not an option because it can take awhile for it to deliver. I am studying and learning Maya and UDK so I need hear and follow tutorials and playing games for pleasure. I'll check this HD280 out while I am there.

If you like the 280 and the price is $139 at jb then that's not too bad considering you will only save $10 buying online.  But if they have the 400 series on display you have nothing to lose buy listening to them all.  Just be careful with the hd429, they have a mic option (s suffix I believe) and while they do sound good, I don't think they aren't compatible with standard stereo headphones sockets.  I don't know if they come with an adapter so it's worth taking a close look if you decide you like them.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

or

lol desperately

I have an external zxr(3 vid cards), and there is a worlds of difference in gaming and movies with sbx studios in my opinion,

I have compared to o2combo, fiios, onboard, yamaha reciever with silent cinema, monoprice dac/amp, asus cards dx, dxg, titianium, stx there is other stuff/amp too like mixamp, bravo, aliendac, grubdac

I have used majority of them with many of my headphones examples hd650, q701, hd558, hd280, cals, superlux 668b,hd681(owned these 3 times actually), fa-003 fisher clones, m50, xb600, many others too

I found myself always going back to the immersive zxr, its why I made it external

lol desperately

I have an external zxr(3 vid cards), and there is a worlds of difference in gaming and movies with sbx studios in my opinion,

I have compared to o2combo, fiios, onboard, yamaha reciever with silent cinema, monoprice dac/amp, asus cards dx, dxg, titianium, stx there is other stuff/amp too like mixamp, bravo, aliendac, grubdac

I have used majority of them with many of my headphones examples hd650, q701, hd558, hd280, cals, superlux 668b,hd681(owned these 3 times actually), fa-003 fisher clones, m50, xb600, many others too

I found myself always going back to the immersive zxr, its why I made it external

After parking my gold plated Ferrari in the drive of my $2million condo, I like to stare at the wall of headphones custom designed by God himself and handcrafted by virgin slaves who have been reared and taught nothing but how to build headphones since the day they were born.  I know what sounds good because my listening room has a seat that is lined with rare baby dolphin leather and oiled to perfection by the man who invented leather right after he invented the cow to manufacture it.    My collection far exceeds that of any human and so my immense skill in audio must be held in awe by all the filthy peasants and their feeble attempts to be as good as me.

After parking my gold plated Ferrari in the drive of my $2million condo, I like to stare at the wall of headphones custom designed by God himself and handcrafted by virgin slaves who have been reared and taught nothing but how to build headphones since the day they were born.  I know what sounds good because my listening room has a seat that is lined with rare baby dolphin leather and oiled to perfection by the man who invented leather right after he invented the cow to manufacture it.    My collection far exceeds that of any human and so my immense skill in audio must be held in awe by all the filthy peasants and their feeble attempts to be as good as me.

Phh, only 2 million? What a pleb.

Phh, only 2 million? What a pleb.

I know, I feel ashamed sometimes to be so second rate to some of the people on these forums.  I am afraid my imagination is quite as creative as others.

If you like the 280 and the price is $139 at jb then that's not too bad considering you will only save $10 buying online.  But if they have the 400 series on display you have nothing to lose buy listening to them all.  Just be careful with the hd429, they have a mic option (s suffix I believe) and while they do sound good, I don't think they aren't compatible with standard stereo headphones sockets.  I don't know if they come with an adapter so it's worth taking a close look if you decide you like them.

I got the HD 439 (not the 429) today at JB Hifi. It is very good so far and I did the bass mod, only punctuating one hole from each driver to improve bass but retaining the original form. I couldn't get the HD280 simply because I don't have money. Just finished school and have no income. $90 is what I saved during my exams and I actually had to ask $20 more from my parents.

And also a typical  house here in Australia cost ~$800,000 :P

You need a much more expensive condo

And also a typical  house here in Australia cost ~$800,000 :P

You need a much more expensive condo

In Sydney maybe?  My house is only worth $400,000.  I was looking at 2 acres today that was going for $450,000.  But I can't get the bank to cover the difference. :(

In Sydney maybe?  My house is only worth $400,000.  I was looking at 2 acres today that was going for $450,000.  But I can't get the bank to cover the difference. :(

$400K isn't all that bad, houses in Jakarta (Indonesia) are above $600K now probably :P

I read this during my morning coffee, half awake, and I ended up picturing this in my mind.... My coffee tasted different....

I read this during my morning coffee, half awake, and I ended up picturing this in my mind.... My coffee tasted different....

I have this effect on people.

In Sydney maybe? My house is only worth $400,000. I was looking at 2 acres today that was going for $450,000. But I can't get the bank to cover the difference. :(

My current selter is only werf 190k for a three bed two bath house with a pool.... With that said our roof isnt waterproof...but sub two hundred large is pretty average here.