Will AMD ever make a comeback in the cpu world?

Seeing that AMD haven't had any significant releases in CPU landscape made me wonder wether they plan on leaving the CPU business for APUs. This makes me worry that this would effect competition. I have not been that long informed into tech so I never understood why does AMD lags behind intel that much, but I thought that I'd like to see whether AMD may still have a chance to do a comeback (at least in budget CPUs)

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

They were having problems moving down their manufacturing process to smaller sizes.

They partnered with samsung to help them make chips, but im not sure if those are going to be for new CPUs or mobile devices and other stuff.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

AMD’s upcoming Zen platform in 2016 I believe, there are posts about their announcement and plenty of rumors, but they stated their new CPU's are coming.

Always a waiting game... http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/190026-amd-ceo-just-laid-out-companys-two-year-roadmap

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

expect nothing appreciate everything

who knows

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

AMD’s upcoming Zen platform in 2016 I believe, there are posts about their announcement and plenty of rumors, but they stated their new CPU's are coming.

Always a waiting game... http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/190026-amd-ceo-just-laid-out-companys-two-year-roadmap

So, they will be late for 3 years I believe since the last release?

Pascal laptops guide

So, they will be late for 3 years I believe since the last release?

Yeah, they are pretty late to the game with anything new or substantially better.

Comparing the 1100T and the FX6100 when they came out... what a laugh!!!

Their power reductions over time, and engineering, however...is TOP NOTCH and great to see, just a bad egg to start with, but after optimizing and adding new improvements,...they made a nice quiche out of it.

Would have liked to see each Core have its own Singular Integer/Floating point units, one of those two units, is shared among another core.

4 Cores = 2 modules, 2 modules with 2 integer units and 4 floating point (or the other way round, 2FP and 4Int)

I believe if they had 1:1 integer:floating counts, they'd be in a better position down the track (today)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

i would say its time for lazy ass gaming devs, to create better gaming engines, for better cpu utilization.

Next to that, its time that application developers finaly get rid of those fishy intel compilers.

Intel's revenue is about 10 times what AMD's is, that alone is going to allow them to develop better products faster. 

Intel is in a very comfortable position at the moment delivering improving tech at reasonable prices on a consistent basis. I'm not saying AMD cpu's are bad necessarily, but dollar for dollar they can't match Intel. AMD has it's niche of budjet CPU's, but Intel will be the market share king unless AMD can do something that completely shakes things up.

Intel's revenue is about 10 times what AMD's is. 

Intel is in a very comfortable position at the moment delivering improving tech at reasonable prices on a consistent basis. I'm not saying AMD cpu's are bad necessarily, but dollar for dollar they can't match Intel. AMD has it's niche of budjet CPU's, but Intel will be the market share king unless AMD can do something that completely shakes things up.

This is what worries me, I fear that intel might start to abuse its power more if AMD continues being 'late to the game' and lag behind.

Pascal laptops guide

nah don't think so. I'm an intel fanboy and amd is stupid- Will kLENA

CPU: 4770K @4.7Ghz  GPU:  Windforce Gtx 770 Oc  MB: Asus z87-k  RAM: Gskill Ripjaws 8gb- 2 by 4  CPU Cooler: Corsair h90  HDD: Seagate 7200rpm Hybrid 500gb  PSU: Corsair Cx 750  Case: Raidmax Vampire---Hopefully getting the h440 

It may be possible, but will require some serious R&D, which will be costly and expensive, I will say that until AMD completely pulls out of CPUs or goes under there is no reason they couldn't if they are willing to put the effort in, for the sake of advancement I hope AMD development something impressive and competitive in the next few years

Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.2Ghz | Evga GTX 780 Ti SC ACX with backplate | MSI Gaming 9 AC | 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengeance Pro Silver 2400 MHz | Corsair H105 128GB Crucial MX100 | Toshiba 2TB | Evga 750G2 | Corsair Obsidian 750d | Be Quiet Silent Wings 2 PWM (3x140mm & 3x120mm)

I just think AMD needs to ditch the whole APU thing. These aren't consoles we're playing on.

Maybe developments HSA will help, maybe....

Pascal laptops guide

I just think AMD needs to ditch the whole APU thing. These aren't consoles we're playing on.

If they could give me the damn Hybrid-APU Crossfire via the Dual-Socket (2P) Motherboards I've been tweeting them for years about, then that'd make a lot more people happier, maybe just me?

It would be a good move though... sell multiple APU's, put to a dual-socket motherboard, Hybrid-Crossfire /w HSA and all their inbuilt jazz, their pretty good at what their aimed at.

Imagine 4P-Systems!!!!!

Ditching might be too strong, lots of money to be made in the lower sector where AMD's stronger GPU's hold some crown, for now at least.

IPC of the APU's catching up to the FX's, pretty sure IMO this was AMD's original game plan, but didn't pan out to being fast enough nor foreseeable future gains that are 'good enough' to compete , so their milking them, and then we get news of the new ZEN platform in 2016.

That means more APU's regardless until then at least. (Still want my 4xAPU Crossfire)

This is what worries me, I fear that intel might start to abuse its power more if AMD continues being 'late to the game' and lag behind.

Lack of competition is always a concern, but as long as AMD doesn't get out of the CPU market all together it should be OK.

If they could give me the damn Hybrid-APU Crossfire via the Dual-Socket (2P) Motherboards I've been tweeting them for years about, then that'd make a lot more people happier, maybe just me?

It would be a good move though... sell multiple APU's, put to a dual-socket motherboard, Hybrid-Crossfire /w HSA and all their inbuilt jazz, their pretty good at what their aimed at.

Imagine 4P-Systems!!!!!

Ditching might be too strong, lots of money to be made in the lower sector where AMD's stronger GPU's hold some crown, for now at least.

IPC of the APU's catching up to the FX's, pretty sure IMO this was AMD's original game plan, but didn't pan out to being fast enough nor foreseeable future gains that are 'good enough' to compete , so their milking them, and then we get news of the new ZEN platform in 2016.

That means more APU's regardless until then at least. (Still want my 4xAPU Crossfire)

The problem I see is that the dual graphics/hybrid mode/ whatever you want to call it, can't be done with a high end gpu. So what's the point? Unless it can maintain 144hz at 1080p or great, most people wouldn't care.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

AMD's next architecture has a bit of ARM technology under the hood, and rumours are abounding that AMD have nailed efficiency to the wall with their new yet-to-be-released cpu architecture. AMD stated (iirc) that the FX lineup isn't being abandoned, but its clear that they are up to something off in left field. The processor war is more a game of wack-a-mole than a race around a track. Intel are ahead with the current software demands, but those demands have been shifting for some time toward unified workloads, ever since the common PC moved from DOS to windows, and UI's become more animated and visual.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Seeing that AMD haven't had any significant releases in CPU landscape made me wonder wether they plan on leaving the CPU business for APUs. This makes me worry that this would effect competition. I have not been that long informed into tech so I never understood why does AMD lags behind intel that much, but I thought that I'd like to see whether AMD may still have a chance to do a comeback (at least in budget CPUs)

As others have mentioned, such as @SkilledRebuilds, we have AMD's upcoming Zen platform to look forward to. It's due in Q1 2016, so we have about 13-15 months to wait. They brought back Jim Kellar, who was the lead architect that created their most successful and powerful (by comparison to other technology at the time) CPU ever: The Athlon XP series. Intel was so laughably behind the Athlon XP chip, that it wasn't even funny. Kellar has been working for Apple for the last decade or so, working on their A-series ARM SoC's. He's got a fantastic track record at Apple, and is single handedly responsible for AMD's success in the early 2000's.

I think they've got the team they need to make a great release. The biggest issue has always been money. Intel basically pours more money into R&D then AMD makes, period. AMD however, now has a nice income from the new gen consoles (PS4, XBox One, and Wii), their GPU division has always been really solid, and their current lineup is no different. And their APU's make a decent amount of money in the niche markets that they operate in.

AMD is on-track for success. I don't understand all the nay-sayers lately that keep proclaiming their "sudden-but-inevitable demise". All the evidence actually points to a huge turn around in the company.

Yep, here's another couple links on the subject:

http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/anton-shilov/amds-lisa-su-expects-high-end-zen-x86-cores-set-to-be-available-in-2016/

http://wccftech.com/breaking-amds-gen-x86-high-performance-core-code-named-zen-debut-k12/

I'll wait and see, but AMD's upcoming portfolio, with x86 ZEN, and with the R9 3xx GPU's, looks fantastic. I'll definitely wait until the R9 3xx GPU's come out and then consider upgrading from my HD 7950. I'd go GTX 980 right now, but the 3xx GPU's as supposed to blow Maxwell out of the water. I'd rather wait and see what the reviews say!

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Honestly I don't see AMD being in the processor market for that long there APUs are not anything special and there general cpus are not even close to intel.

They will probably linger around for a while to come as they supplied the processors for the 'next gen' consoles but unless they pull something massive out of the bag then intel are going to rule supreme.

My Rig : Zotac 780 3GB, i5 4670k, H105, M1211 650W, 8GB 2133mhz vengence pro, Mini R2, 144Hz AOC Gsync Monitor

Accessories : K65, Naos 3200, Superlux 681, Chord CCU1

Honestly I don't see AMD being in the processor market for that long there APUs are not anything special and there general cpus are not even close to intel.

They will probably linger around for a while to come as they supplied the processors for the 'next gen' consoles but unless they pull something massive out of the bag then intel are going to rule supreme.

That's exactly what they plan to do with AMD x86 Zen. They are totally redesigning their x86 CPU architecture from the ground up. No more Piledriver or Bulldozer derived CPU's.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Same as the above: they put the enthusiast FX line on the bench for the time being, and meanwhile they are focusing on their APUs, with the budget gamer and mobile market in mind.

Their next move is Q1 2015, with the Carrizo line, with emphasis on HSA and lower power consumption. Rumor has it it will remain on the FM2+ slot, and also speculation on either a DDR3/4 memory controller, maybe integrating both? I'd love to swipe their next Athlon with an unlocked multiplier, pair it with a liquid cooler and OC it to amazing performance. Am I wishing for too much? I hope not.

[witty signature]

AMD has lost major ground man, we used to buy them by the boat load, well systems with AMD and we still have some of those systems as they are rock solid but since 2008 no one new AMD system, its been all Intel.

To get back on the road map to be considered they'll need to blow some doors off Intel, back in the day they had better I/O than Intel and were jumping Intel on the core count as well. These day's the weak core's or not true cores hits them so until they (and Intel) get off their pseudo core crap (hyperthreading) and just deliver true cores that will be something to get them back on track, maybe a true I/O storage bus for storage devices so it can take advantage of SSD tech and speed it up (even more).

As it stands no AMD is to be bought at our place.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.