Anandtech reviews a FANLESS AMD miniPC from Zotac

LukaP

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8744/zotac-zbox-ca320-nano-plus-review-a-fanless-amd-minipc

fin_pic_575px.jpg

Most of the mini-PC / UCFF PCs in the market are based on Intel CPUs. Interestingly, Zotac launched an AMD-based SKU with the C series - the Zotac ZBOX CA320 nano. Based on a Temash APU (originally meant for the tablet market), the product does stand out compared to the other alternatives at a similar price point (based on the Intel Bay Trail SoCs).

k10HJgV.jpg

The unit is quite easy to open up (even without a screwdriver), but it is not necessary to do it unless one wants to replace either the memory or the disk drive.

Power consumption is lower than the competing Intel based ZBOX

pwr_load.png

The chassis temp is also lower than the comparable intel based ZBOX (56C compared to 75)

ZBOX_CA320-Thermals_575px.jpg

One of the aspects we were worried about was thermal throttling, but the ZBOX CA320 nano surpassed our expectations. The chassis never got extremely hot (reaching only around 55 C, even after extended thermal stress with a couple of power viruses).

See, amd isnt that hot

All in all, Zotac manages to deliver a very price-effective passive mini-PC in the ZBOX CA320 nano. Along with the ECS LIVA in the market, the days of users having to spend an arm and leg for passively cooled systems with decent performance are history. Zotac also has a Bay Trail-based ZBOX CI320 nano in the fanless C series, and we will be looking at that system next month.

Personally, I think this is a really nice product, great that system integrators are finally considering AMD, even if they use an older platform (couldve gone with Beema/Mullins here)... Hope it sells and gets both companies some much needed revenue

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

THis is some good shit. Low temps, low power draw. I like it a lot. Perfect for movies at your friend on the TV downstairs or stuff like that

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

It's not an a10,  :( too bad its just another basic pc

It's not an a10,  :( too bad its just another basic pc

1. Its fanless
  2. the barebones costs 180$. the a10 apus cost 150ish

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA

o wait, ur sirius

HAHAHAHASHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm sorry what's so funny? I want something like this but I do not have the money :c

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

I'm sorry what's so funny? I want something like this but I do not have the money :c

IKR its a great 1080p HTPC.... 

AMD and fanless

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

AMD and fanless

umm... its cooler than fanless intel. if you bothered to read atleast what i posted, if not the article

AMD and fanless

Sapphire R7 250 ultimate passive want a word with you.

AMD is not hot by definition -,-. People need to stop thinking this. My 7870xt barely exceeded 60C in BF4. Just the R9 290(x) and higher end FX that get hot

AMD and fanless

Also wasn't there a mini-pc a while back with an 860M (maxwell) that throttled like a maniac?

AMD is not hot by definition -,-. People need to stop thinking this. My 7870xt barely exceeded 60C in BF4. Just the R9 290(x) and higher end FX that get hot

not even that. yeah the FX's do, because of inefficient arch, and a lossy process 

but the Hawaii chip if adequatly cooled, consumes within 10% the same power as GK110 and heats up about the same as it does (within 10ish percebt)

Also wasn't there a mini-pc a while back with an 860M (maxwell) that throttled like a maniac?

naah it was a brix with a desktop 760 :P

naah it was a brix with a desktop 760 :P

Still, the 760 is a pretty cool card (as in not hot :3), also someone already pointed out that was an 860 or 870M that was slightly modified to resemble a 760, not an actual 760.

Point is though, that's an Nvidia card that throttled like a maniac, not AMD

but the Hawaii chip if adequatly cooled, consumes within 10% the same power as GK110 and heats up about the same as it does (within 10ish percebt)

Sapphire Tri-x/Vapor-x spring to mind. Hawaii chip is good it's just really shite with the reference cooler.

Still, the 760 is a pretty cool card (as in not hot :3), also someone already pointed out that was an 860 or 870M that was slightly modified to resemble a 760, not an actual 760.

Point is though, that's an Nvidia card that throttled like a maniac, not AMD

Sapphire Tri-x/Vapor-x spring to mind. Hawaii chip is good it's just really shite with the reference cooler.

yeah, AMD designed that cooler with the 280x in mind i suppose, forgetting that 290 series will be a little bit hotter :P 

This is a perfect pc to get your mom or someone else who doesn't need a high end system for typical internet use.

my 7870xt ran at 87 c all the time

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

my 7870xt ran at 87 c all the time

Then you did something wrong. I had the Sapphire Dual-X (Blue PCB ftw <3) and it ran cool as a cucumber. Maybe your card was buried in dust?

if linus uses this as a server for hosting LTT maybe we wouldnt have issues anymore

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Power draw is lower in P95 and Furmark testing. Not real world testing such as Youtube and Netflix playback.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Then you did something wrong. I had the Sapphire Dual-X (Blue PCB ftw <3) and it ran cool as a cucumber. Maybe your card was buried in dust?

it did from the moment i got it. it was loud as fuck too

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

it did from the moment i got it. it was loud as fuck too

Then you got a bad card O_o straight up.

Tablet chip vs desktop chip doesnt really sound like a fair comparison :S

Is that intel one not an Atom? they said its a comparable device...

Is that intel one not an Atom? they said its a comparable device...

Which model in particular? The one I find most comparable in price is the GB-BXBT-1900, which uses a quad core Intel Celeron CPU.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

AMD? Fanless!?

This must be a miracle!

:P

Still love you AMD <3 No homo

I want one please.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"