[Forbes] Microsoft Is Losing Xbox One Momentum Due To 343's 'Halo: Master Chief Collection' Misdeeds

WolfDeville

I would rather just play Halo 1 and 2 on PC now and emulate the others once possible.

I'm holding out on a PC release.

Before launch, I'd say you shouldn't hold your breath.  But if MS needs to recoup and gather themselves after this debacle, there might be hope for an MCC release on PC.  I cite Ryse and Alan Wake as examples of games that were never to be released on PC, and then suddenly a change of course.

For those saying that the title should be on PC.

To me it's like asking Nintendo titles on PC. This is silly. Yes Microsoft has both, but they are trying to push XBox One sales. It just recently passed WiiU sales (although WiiU is expected to increase as it did with Mario Kart 8, due to Smash Brothers, so the WiiU might catch up, we will see).

XBox One needs exclusive titles to push sales. Graphics doesn't mater as we can perfectly see with pretty much all Nintendo consoles. It's all about the games. If the title comes to PC, it simply means that that the XBox team sees that it can't push anymore the XBox One sales, and there is nothing to be done, and are looking for extra money for the title. But i don't think it will ever come, to keep the title XBox only, even if they have done it before. I believe that they have done it before as a strategy to push XBox sales. Basically treating the Halo game on PC as a demo for PC gamers.

can we have at least one game fully functional at launch, please?

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

Before launch, I'd say you shouldn't hold your breath. But if MS needs to recoup and gather themselves after this debacle, there might be hope for an MCC release on PC. I cite Ryse and Alan Wake as examples of games that were never to be released on PC, and then suddenly a change of course.

That's like asking Mario or Uncharted to go to the PC.

They aren't just system sellers, they are gaming division tent poles. In the case of Mario and Halo, they are THE tent poles. Ryse and Alan Wake aren't really getting people into your console. They are fluff games. They aren't the reason someone buys any platform.

MS has no need to release on the PC. Go buy a One. That's their entire game plan for the MCC and nothing else will happen. And here's the thing. Certain Affinity, Saber Interactive and Ruffian are all back to their own projects. 343i was already balls deep into Halo 5 well before MCC was a thing. Now that MCC is out, however buggy, the vast majority of whoever was on MCC has gone back to the vast majority of 343i who was already working on Halo 5.

Now you have to go find another studio to handle the proper port, and at that point the money invested might not be made back so just from a financial standpoint it would be a waste of time and money.

No, how about this though: We stop making fucking excuses for anybody. If Projek Red or the guys on Star Citizens can pull things off, what fucking excuse do major studios have? The answer here should be none.

We probably ought to hold off on comparisons to games that aren't out yet, but otherwise big agree. There aren't a lot of industries where it's acceptable to pay full price for a product that doesn't work as advertised and not have a right to get your money back immediately.

My cousin bought an Xbox one & Halo:MC edition. He literally bought the Xbox one JUST for Halo:MC edition.

He regrets it. a lot.

you also have every major news outlet giving it bad reviewes.. I'd say the title is spot on.

I'm not sure how many consoles sold just because of Halo, but I can tell you, there was a lot of hype.

now it's just a super-flop because it doesn't work online, properly.

BF4 doesn't sell Xbox one's. Imagine BF4 being exclusive to PS4, now add the shitstorm and subtract PS4 sales due to outlets saying "online doesnt work, guys"

That is the only reason I am considering XB1, that Halo 3 in 1080p 60FPS, and Halo 2 with new graphics, mmmmm.

That is the only reason I am considering XB1, that Halo 3 in 1080p 60FPS, and Halo 2 with new graphics, mmmmm.

I'll say this much, my experience on MCC has been pretty awesome. Legendary H2A is a pain in my ass, but its a fun pain in my ass. The graphical overhaul is actually quite nice and still fits the entire art direction of Halo 2. The multiplayer? I get people are having issues, but I'm also not one of them. H2A has some of the best FPS gunplay I've ever had, and I don't mean on consoles. I mean FPSs period. Its really that much fun for me. Outdoes every other shooter for the past few years for me. H2 Classic feels pretty rough and old in comparison. H2A has enough updates to it to make it fresh but also scary familiar to anyone who has played Halo 2 and 3. Its like they took the best parts from the mechanics in those games and shoved them into the Anniversary portion. Its really fun. 

Hoping for that PC release that may never happen. Although the more issues they have on the one, the more desperate they may become and might release on another platform.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

What the hell is up with games being broken on release! Is this a new trend or am i missing something

Personal computer master race

Interesting that people think the issue stems from ineptitude when just about every game is coming out with issues.

I must be playing the wrong games because I haven't had any problems playing any new games I've bought.

Must be because I'm staying away from most blockbuster titles.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I must be playing the wrong games because I haven't had any problems playing any new games I've bought.

Must be because I'm staying away from most blockbuster titles.

It might be, every thread/article I read about the latest whatever game contains what appears to be just a list of complaints, it is either nerfed, crashes, needs updates, has a glitch so on and so forth.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

So EA And DICE Arnt that bad?

HOW ABOUT THIS: Games are hard to make now.

How about this: Games are hard to make because consoles don't have enough power. 

How about this: Games are hard to make because consoles don't have enough power. 

Matchmaking Issues =/= Power

ܝܘܚܢܢ ܒܝܬ ܐܦܪܝܡ : Planning Stages.

i7 4790K | MSI Krait | 480 GB SSD | R9 295 x2 | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | Watercooled

i was playing the campain, and it is awesome, but its sad to see that i cant play my all time fav halo 2 without issues

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @4.2ghz MOBO: Asus Maximus VI Hero-RAM:HyperX Fury 8gb PSU: Corsair CX750M-GPU: MSI 390x 8g HDD:WD Green 1TB KEYBOARD: Rosewill RGB8-MOUSE: Corsair Gaming RGB M65

That's like asking Mario or Uncharted to go to the PC.

They aren't just system sellers, they are gaming division tent poles. In the case of Mario and Halo, they are THE tent poles. Ryse and Alan Wake aren't really getting people into your console. They are fluff games. They aren't the reason someone buys any platform.

What you are saying is true.  I suppose it still wouldn't come to PC because it is the only closest reason that I would ever by a One myself.  I would have done it already if the game could be played with a mouse/keyboard, but then I am reminded I have to play a competitive FPS with a gamepad.

-snip-

Dude, I can't breath. Y u do this? I'm in tears man.

On Topic: This game would have been the reason I would have bought an Xbone looks like there is no reason for me to purchase it anymore.

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900X – Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi  – RAM: 4 x 16 GB G. Skill Trident Z @ 3200mhz- GPU: ASUS  Strix Geforce GTX 1080ti– Case: Phankteks Enthoo Pro M – Storage: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo, 1TB Intel 800p, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB & WD Blue 1 TB PSU: EVGA 1000P2– Display(s): ASUS PB238Q, AOC 4k, Korean 1440p 144hz Monitor - Cooling: NH-U12S, 2 gentle typhoons and 3 noiseblocker eloops – Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB Mouse: G502 Rgb & G Pro Wireless– Sound: Logitech z623 & AKG K240

It might be, every thread/article I read about the latest whatever game contains what appears to be just a list of complaints, it is either nerfed, crashes, needs updates, has a glitch so on and so forth.

I also don't read reviews so maybe that is part of it.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

For those saying that the title should be on PC.

To me it's like asking Nintendo titles on PC. This is silly. Yes Microsoft has both, but they are trying to push XBox One sales. It just recently passed WiiU sales (although WiiU is expected to increase as it did with Mario Kart 8, due to Smash Brothers, so the WiiU might catch up, we will see).

XBox One needs exclusive titles to push sales. Graphics doesn't mater as we can perfectly see with pretty much all Nintendo consoles. It's all about the games. If the title comes to PC, it simply means that that the XBox team sees that it can't push anymore the XBox One sales, and there is nothing to be done, and are looking for extra money for the title. But i don't think it will ever come, to keep the title XBox only, even if they have done it before. I believe that they have done it before as a strategy to push XBox sales. Basically treating the Halo game on PC as a demo for PC gamers.

Nintendo creates/home-grows their own exclusives. Comparing them to MS is simply hilarious.

Sony? Same for the most part. Has said exclusivity is dumb and helps no one, but they are forced to do it.

MS? Throws money hat and creates "exclusives" out of thin air. Blocks or delays titles from PC, from their own customers. Recently with Tomb Raider which had been previously announced as a multiplat coming to all platforms. In the past with Halo. Paid EA to delay KOTOR and Mass Effect 1 on PC.  Has given us one homegrown title worth a damn (Forza) and doesn't bring it to PC..

Also lol at the idea of me ever buying a console whose only exclusives are bribes to developers to keep a title off my MICROSOFT platform, when that console is just a severely under powered x86 PC. Why would ANYONE buy two PC's if they already have one. If I am building a SFF PC I am sticking a mini itx GTX 970 in that sucker. 

Buy a Xbox One as a PC Gamer? Grats. You are keeping alive a racket that blocks or delays titles that would have been on your platform anyways. You are literally screwing yourself over, while also paying an idiotic monthly fee to play an online game that would be free on the PC. 

Want Halo on PC? Simple. Never buy anything Xbox related again. Don't buy Windows 10. Watch MS kiss your ass to get you on the next OS and DirectX 12.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Want Halo on PC? Simple. Never buy anything Xbox related again. Don't buy Windows 10. Watch MS kiss your ass to get you on the next OS and DirectX 12.

MS are never going to kiss gamer ass, they don't give a rats about us, we're not even a bit cream on top of their profit margins.  IF we boycott all MS related products they will simply write us off as unprofitable and concentrate on the real money, that is, business and cloud computing.  If we do boycott then people may get their wish to be able to game on Linux because without windows or xbox there is no need for dx so we will be at the mercy of mantle or anything they can develop for Linux.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I was going to buy an Xbox one just to play halo and hopefully a new Gears later but I think I will wait until the 2nd revision of the Xbox one to get it, hopefully the game is no longer broken.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

MS are never going to kiss gamer ass, they don't give a rats about us, we're not even a bit cream on top of their profit margins.  IF we boycott all MS related products they will simply write us off as unprofitable and concentrate on the real money, that is, business and cloud computing.  If we do boycott then people may get their wish to be able to game on Linux because without windows or xbox there is no need for dx so we will be at the mercy of mantle or anything they can develop for Linux.

"the mercy of mantle"

You mean a free API with no oversight that is completely public... Yeah what a catastrophe. Much better to pay 100 bucks every couple years to get a with held API, that isn't used by developers due to market share.

Soooooo many DirectX 11.2 games out there and in development. Let's see there is "Never gonna happen". Good game. Also "How to Hold Back PC Gaming". Another classic. One more you might have not heard of. "DirectX 12 will be delayed on adoption, save your money and buy a better video card."

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

"the mercy of mantle"

You mean a free API with no oversight that is completely public... Yeah what a catastrophe. Much better to pay 100 bucks every couple years to get a with held API, that isn't used by developers due to market share.

Soooooo many DirectX 11.2 games out there and in development. Let's see there is "Never gonna happen". Good game. Also "How to Hold Back PC Gaming". Another classic. One more you might have not heard of. "DirectX 12 will be delayed on adoption, save your money and buy a better video card."

IF mantle is the only API option then yes, just like while/when DX is the only option we are at the mercy of it too.  I don't know why you harp on about paying $100 all the time, I have never payed to have DX, I upgrade my OS/PC every 5 years like most enthusiasts and gamers  and I have yet to be held back from playing a game due to compatibility issues be they artificial or not.

IF mantle is the only API option then yes, just like while/when DX is the only option we are at the mercy of it too.  I don't know why you harp on about paying $100 all the time, I have never payed to have DX, I upgrade my OS/PC every 5 years like most enthusiasts and gamers  and I have yet to be held back from playing a game due to compatibility issues be they artificial or not.

You are comparing a public API to a API locked to a OS manufacturer who with holds patches to the API in the form of 100 dollar payments, which holds back adoption of any improvement. Give me a break.

Besides...Mantle was also given to Kronos, and we will probably be on this instead in a couple years. Mantle is more of a bridge gap that showed what a low level API could do for budget CPU's that are not overclocked (which most people own). 

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/khronos-wants-to-make-opengl-a-low-level-api-amd-wants-to-help/

Also an API that is free and public and has libraries and effects used on every device and gaming system not MS. 

You can't be "at the mercy" of things that are free and public. You can however be "at the mercy" of closed API's, and things like Xbox Live, and an early attempt to charge even more for PC Gaming called "Games For Windows Live".