4K or 1440P War

Raikom

Hi,

I'm currently facing a dilemma when it comes to what monitor to purchase.

I know for a fact I want an OLED, but I can't make up my mind about what resolution to pick.

Previously I ran a NeoG7 with 4k resolution, and while the pixel density was eye candy, I couldn't help but to notice how my 7900 XTX struggled to push games like RDR on ultra/high on high FPS natively(had to turn on FSR), even in Apex I had to lower the res to 1440P to get that consistent 160 fps.

Currently on UK Currys, Buy MSI MAG 341CQP QD Ultra Wide Quad HD 34” Curved OLED Gaming Monitor - Black | Currys this bad boy is being on sale, but his older brother the Buy MSI MPG 321URX 4K Ultra HD 32" Quantum Dot QD-OLED Gaming Monitor - Black | Currys really winks at me with the newer tech and I can't make up my mind.

I'm really stuck in between these two and I can't seem to make up my mind on it.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you! :)

SPECS:

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, RX 7900 XTX, 64 GB RAM.

Having to use upscalers for some games is not a bad thing imo. You still get better image quality at 4K using FSR quality (which also renders 1440p btw) compared to just using 1440p natively. On a 4K display, you can also use 1080p with integer scaling for the games that need the extra fps and where the hit to image quality isn't a big deal. However, most competitive games today are either so easy to run that they don't need to be upscaled on most PCs, or they already support FSR/DLSS out of the box. Apex is a rare exception.

Displays are one of the few parts of a PC where future-proofing actually makes sense, so going for 4K is the right choice if you can afford it. A 4K display is simply more versatile than a 1440p display will ever be.

I currently have a 3080 10G and for most of the more demanding newer games I have to use DLSS to get >60fps. But so far I could never tell the difference between DLSS quality and native 4K. I don't have much experience with FSR, but from what I hear it's also pretty good if you're aiming for a 4K output resolution.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Native res will always look noticeably sharper than a lower res.

Id just get a 1440p screen.

Keep in mind that your card right now is performing about as good as it gets in current games.

Newer games get heavier and heavier meaning your gpu will have to work a lot more.

So since 4k is already not going great in a year or 2 thats gonna be even rougher.

Basically the 4k is the next big thing for gaming issue since the gtx680/hd7970 came out.

Top spec can run 4k games quite ok for a year and then sucks at it after 2 years. Rinse and repeat.

The 4090 is THE FIRST card that can do native 100fps high settings for most games and well surprise surprise its already not doing that in some recent releases.

I also DO NOT RECOMMEND AND OLED FOR DESKTOP USE.

They burn in flat out. Dont let anyone tell you they dont. What they do is get REALLY good at hiding it which comea at the cost of contrast, color reproduction and most of all BRIGHTNESS. Take for example a 2 year old lg c2 with regular use vs a new one and side  y side the difference is BIG. If you turn the oled saving settings ans limiters off to get the screen back to original settings HOO BOI does it show.

Shop I work with sometimes has the gigabyte oled big screen in demo mode for 4 hours a day since launch. It is DIMMED in to shit basically displaying mostly dark NON STATIC content. To the point that it looks as if its a lcd with a semi broken backlight.

Dont get me wrong OLED IS FANTASTIC but it is a shorter life span product.

Normally a display is an investment, however in cases of oled it is really a shorter term product.

Couple that with 4k and well if you bought a 4k 60hz screen in 2013 it only took 10 years of getting the next best gpu every release before a cars came out that will do 4k 60fps high settings for more than 2 ish years.

Well one is 4K and you had one, other is ultrawide so do you want uw or not first. Really 4K is great, I have the same card don't want uw. Pixel density is worth it to me. You can always upscale or run native with tweaked settings, not all games are worth it maxed as they don't offer anything extra but tank performance, not optimized well.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I do not mind UW or not, bought the Alienware oled when it first came out but had a miriad of issues with it(got bad luck on the panel) and returned it with the idea to let the tech mature for a bit.

Here I am now, the G7 had warranty issues and I got a voucher to use for it's full price, hence why I need to pick from Curry.

Form for me it's not an issue, it's just more the ideea of loosing FPS over time due to the 4K or getting a 1440p

1440p is the most useless format ever... it doesn't offer much over 1080p and you miss out on integer scaling for tons and tons of games and resolutions (including but not limited to emulators) 

On 5/27/2024 at 3:46 PM, Doobeedoo said:

Well one is 4K and you had one, other is ultrawide so do you want uw or not first. Really 4K is great, I have the same card don't want uw. Pixel density is worth it to me. You can always upscale or run native with tweaked settings, not all games are worth it maxed as they don't offer anything extra but tank performance, not optimized well.

basically.  with 4k you can just run at 1080p when your hardware cant keep up,  it'll still be pretty clean due to 1:1 scaling,  you get none of that with 1440p 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity