Coil Whine fixes?

Graviityy

So ive made some other posts about me getting a gtx 970 soon and how i heard that many people were getting coil whine from their 900 series cards. I bought a gtx 970 strix anyways because i sold my 780 about a month ago because it to had coil whine. I figured i could use the money from it to buy the new 970. I dont know if i just have terrible luck with gpus and got 2 in row with coil whine or what. Granted i fixed it with my 780 with v sync. But i plan on getting another 970 for sli and i would like to use the set up to its full potential and not limit the fps anymore than i have to. I heard that some psu's can cause the card to get coil whine. And ive been told i didnt make the best possible psu selection. Other than the coil whine the card is flawless. The only thing i found wierd is that in my very first pc i built my 7950 had 0 coil whine and when i sold that system and built my newest one and switched the psu and gpu is when i first encountered coil whine. Anyways i was just curious about some of your opinions on this matter. Like i said i have it fixed for now with v sync but in the future id rather not have to limit my cards because of a stupid noise.

The best cure for coil whine is an RMA.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I have to use Vsynce to. It's caused by my PSU actually. There really is no fix unless you RMA the card or possibly switch PSUs.

Is the sound loud and noticeable? I'm waiting for my card in the mail so I don't know if it has it or not yet. Is it louder then case fans?

Oh yeah its pretty loud. Unless you turn on v sync its highly annoying.

No real fix its based just on the amount of power being consumed at any one time and the resonant frequency of the metal in the card... that said actually if you were to get rid of the stock cooler and get a aftermarket one that may just do the trick

Please use http://pcpartpicker.com/ for everybodones sake!

and quote me if you want me to see a reply please :)

pewpewpewphysicslazers!!!

I have to use Vsynce to. It's caused by my PSU actually. There really is no fix unless you RMA the card or possibly switch PSUs.

Im already planning on getting a new psu, i have slight feeling that might be whats causing it but i have not way of testing it. If that doesnt fix it then ill for sure RMA it.

Im already planning on getting a new psu, i have slight feeling that might be whats causing it but i have not way of testing it. If that doesnt fix it then ill for sure RMA it.

That sounds like a good plan. Good luck, let us know how it works out.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

No real fix its based just on the amount of power being consumed at any one time and the resonant frequency of the metal in the card... that said actually if you were to get rid of the stock cooler and get a aftermarket one that may just do the trick

This.

Aftermarket cooler MIGHT fix it.

New PSU MIGHT fix it.

RMA MIGHT fix it.

But more than likely it won't.

I have had a HD4850, HD6950, GTX680, R9290x, GTX780ti, With Enermax, multiple corsair, etc PSUs, and all whined in some way or another. Most died down after a few months, and I don't hear it over the speakers or headset anyway. 

Just saying, don't get your hopes up. Until coils are not used... there will be coil wine. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

What I do actually is I use an external program to limit my fps to 120fps-200fps so I don't get the negative effects of vsync. I only get coil whine past about 170ish fps.

Jeeze I must be lucky, I have never had anything coilwhine and I have built many PC's for myself and others.... (or maybe im just deaf haha)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Ultimately it's just something resonating at it's natural frequency. So either you have to move the fucntional frequency away from the natural frequency, like F.E the PWM phase or coreclocks, or change the natural frequency (We) of that element.

The only real way we can do that is by altering it's mass, which boils down to simply smacking some glue on it. The problem is though, you have to find the component which is making the noise and hope it's not already covered up by something.

What I do actually is I use an external program to limit my fps to 120fps-200fps so I don't get the negative effects of vsync. I only get coil whine past about 170ish fps.

Yeah i used the tool from msi afterburner. Unfortunately my cardd starts to whine around 90fps which i guess isnt bad beings that thats obviously a very smooth gaming experience, but i liked it with my 7950 where i didnt have to worry about managing the coil whine. 

Ultimately it's just something resonating at it's natural frequency. So either you have to move the fucntional frequency away from the natural frequency, like F.E the PWM phase or coreclocks, or change the natural frequency (We) of that element.

The only real way we can do that is by altering it's mass, which boils down to simply smacking some glue on it. The problem is though, you have to find the component which is making the noise and hope it's not already covered up by something.

I read somewhere that overclocking my help since it will increase the frequencies and what not to a high enough level where they cant be heard. Not sure on how accurate that is, i havent had a chance to OC my card yet.

Im taking the card over to my friends house to test it in his pc since he has my old one. Ill be using his psu so im hoping that i can fire up a game and there be no whine. Fingers crossed.

i had massive  coil whine on  my msi gtx 970 while playing spellforce 2. according to msi afterburner that game run at 3000-4000fps.with  reivertuner caping every game to  120fps  max i was able to say  bye bye to coil whine

can someone go into a little more detail about the PSU possibly causing the sound please.

I have a Antec High Current Gold Modular thats 3-4 years old. The cable section is split evenly between red and black "plug ins". I still dont know which to use so I went with running everything off the black cables. Should the card be on the red rail? does it even matter red or black?

Turns out i think it might be my psu thats causing it for what ever reason. i tested it on another psu from my older system and it was dead silent. Needless to say i was very excited to know i dont have to send the card back. 

Turns out i think it might be my psu thats causing it for what ever reason. i tested it on another psu from my older system and it was dead silent. Needless to say i was very excited to know i dont have to send the card back. 

Nice man, I'm just lazy and won't return my PSU. I heard alot about that the 900 series whine and I was surprised that it was my PSU aswell. If you have a corsair PSU then it should be easy to get a new one. Good luck my amigo!

:D

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020