PS4 requires Playstation plus for online

Bhups

It is confirmed that the PS4 will require you to have a Playstation Plus subscription, to play online. 

Although its already great value for money, with all the free stuff you get for the PS Plus sub, I think its a bit of a blow to the console that its now mandatory. 

Although I do feel that all in all they smashed the xbox, and I think its gonna be the console ill buy if any. 

$399!

CM Cosmos 2 - I5 3570k @ 4.4ghz - Corsair H100 - ASUS Maximus V Formula - 16gb Corsair Vengeance Ram - 128GB Intel SSD - 500gb Western Digital HDD - Saphire Radeon HD 6950 2gb (Flashed with HD6970 bios  + Arctic cooling acellero cooler) -  

Maybe the only minus (even though its an amazing price for the service) in a really amazing conference. Sony destroyed Microsoft in almost every area

Didn't they say it'd be free forever?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Didn't they say it'd be free forever?

If you watch the video above, its in the fine print at the bottom in the second half.

Also when they mentioned playstation plus, they said free members (without plus) could play single player and use their media solutions, they deliberately missed out online play.

CM Cosmos 2 - I5 3570k @ 4.4ghz - Corsair H100 - ASUS Maximus V Formula - 16gb Corsair Vengeance Ram - 128GB Intel SSD - 500gb Western Digital HDD - Saphire Radeon HD 6950 2gb (Flashed with HD6970 bios  + Arctic cooling acellero cooler) -  

For me it suits me perfectly fine. I only use my PS3 for single player games like Heavy Rain, Uncharted and so on. Although I will say that if you do play online on Playstation then Plus really is amazing value for money. Free games, awesome features and exclusive content. My friends would rather pay for Plus than for an Xbox subscription. Maybe because we live outside the US and can't take advantage of some of the Xbox features. 

Otherwise Sony really kicked it off great. 399$ is an excellent pricepoint. With the Xbox One with few exclusive features - besides some cool games - there really aren't any incentive to go for the One over the PS4, imo. PS4 also have Quantic Dreams and Naughty Dogs as great studios that continue to make awesome single player experiences that I personally love much more that the exclusives Xbox has to offer. And with the multiplatform games running on my gaming desktop PS4 really seems to be the console I'll be picking up. If I'm going to that is.  

Current build: Antec P180, Asus P8Z68 Pro, Intel i5-2500k, Asus GTX 570 2GB, Patriot 16GB 1600MHz, Corsair HX 650W.

New build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11270-video-editing-workstation-build/

One thing I love about Sony is the way they don't go all out to steal things away from gamers. For example with games like call of duty you will get the expansion a month earlier on the Xbox. This is stupid to me, your not really hurting Sony, your just hurting gamers in general. I don't see that being a reason people would switch to the Xbox. 

If you get a good party system, VOIP and user interface on the PS4 I think the Xbox is really going to struggle with initial sales. Although we will have to see what happens in the long run with exclusive games etc. 

Maybe the online minus (even though its an amazing price for the service) in a really amazing conference. Sony destroyed Microsoft in almost every area

I agree, I'm a PC gamer,not a console gamer, and I see PS$ wining the Console wars now :)

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Holy shit greatest video of all time. In all seriousness they still killed xbox. I agree they only thing that could even hold the xbox up now is the fact that they have a few good console only games and lets be honest, Gears of war judgement was shit, so you can scratch gears off that list.

My rig: Case: Corsair 760T CPU: Intel 4690k MOBO: MSI Z79 Gaming 5 RaM: 16gb HyperX SSD: 256gb Samsung pro HDD: 1tb Toshiba PSU: Thermaltake smart 750 GPU: 1x GTX 1080 Founders edition

considering you have to pay for online i guess it time to jump ship 

here i come pc gaming 

considering you have to pay for online i guess it time to jump ship 

here i come pc gaming 

Even as a payed service (which I dont like...), I would rather pay for PSN than XboxLive

Not a big deal to me.  I'm an old school gamer with consoles and use them for single player experiences only.  PC is where I go for my multiplayer.

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

Tbh with all the free games you get you should be getting playstation plus anyway.

the thing is that i dont play a lot so paying $5 month for like 10 hours of online pay is a rip, but if i did play more i wouldn't care as much

the thing is that i dont play a lot so paying $5 month for like 10 hours of online pay is a rip, but if i did play more i wouldn't care as much

It's compulsory, you don't have to pay $5/Month. It's like pay this month, don't pay next month, don't need it this month, too. Need it this month.

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!
Super Budget Gaming Build: Intel Pentium G1610, Gigabye GA-H61M-DS2 rev. 3, Kingston Value RAM 4GB CL9 1333MHz, Fractal Design Core 1000, Corsair VS 450, WD 1TB, Powercolor Radeon HD 7750 1GB/GDDR5, (Optional: Asus DRW-24B1ST).
 (Total: $340 USD)

Any word on other online features like Netflix? I don't really play online but I have my console in my living room so it sucks to have to have Xbox Live to watch Netflix or Hulu Plus so it was nice that the PS3 could do those for free. Especially since I'm already paying for Netflix and Hulu Plus anyway and it's free on my TV, PC, PS3, tablet and everything else they can play on.

5$ dollar is like maybe 2 hamburgers.....

Mmmm. Hamburgers.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I wonder how long it will take for there to be PS+ online card sales when the PS4 comes out.  I only buy Xbox Live time when it is under $40 and I like getting +1 extra months on cards too ... and even free items.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

does the playstation hacks of last year worry you? the one where they got into peoples financial information etc. or perhaps its a good thing and they upped their security. 

playstation has blizzard and EVE online. its a lock I'm moving away from my xbox

It was an inevitability in all reality, and i have no problems paying for it, as i already pay for PS+.

I'm just a soul who is up to no good.

Been using PS+ since its inception and it really is a great value.  Consider xbox live also has a paid sub model I don't see this hurting Sony.

they could have made it free made fun of xbox one even more doing so.

Sony already kicked Microsoft while they were down XD Twice.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2