Video Editing Workstation Build

I study film- and tv-production, so I always work with video, graphics and all that good stuff. At the moment I have an older gaming rig I use for all my video editing. Some other editing get's done on my Sony Vaio 13". However, it's time to upgrade.

I can't go all out on this build, but I want a decent upgrade for what I already have. I will not be upgrading the build I have (P8Z68, i5-2500k, 16GB RAM, 570) , but I'm going to use the old build as a dedicated gaming rig, and the new rig as a workstation. Reason for this is that the Z68 is getting old, and if I'm gonna invest in a new MB, CPU and so on I might as well build a whole new rig. Besides, I miss building. The 570 I have will go into the new build, and a new 670 will go into my old gaming rig for an upgrade in gaming performance. 

Components:

- Fractal Design Refine R4

- Asus P9X79 Pro

- Intel i7-3820

- Corsair H100i

- 32GB RAM (alternatives include HyperX Black and Dominator Platnium)

- Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

- Harddrives (WD Blacks or Barracudas)

- Asus GTX 570 2GB (from my old gaming rig)

- Corsair HX 750W

- Filco Tenkeyless MX Blue Switch

- Optical drive, external SATA-dock, USB 3.0 card reader etc.

I am worried that the H100i won't fit in the R4, but I've seen some videos and pictures of rigs that rock the setup. So I guess it'll be ok. I really want the R4 since it looks awesome and it's quiet. 

What I'm debating about is the motherboard. The WS-version of the board is marketed towards workstation builds, but I feel like I don't need the features that cost extra. The Pro looks to me like the perfect board with good overclocking capabilities and overall rock-solid-performance. What do you think?

Overall I think this could be a good setup. If I had the money I'd get the i7-3930k. Six-cores would be epic. But I mostly work with 1080p footage from DSLR's so I don't think I'll notice much in improved editing speed and performance. Anyone have thoughts on investing in the 2011 socket?

RAM is another thing that's impossible to decide on. The HyperX Black CL10 is much cheaper than most of the CL9-RAM in stores here in Norway. At the same time I've heard good things about G.skill, and the Patriots I have in my current build have worked flawlessly. 

Right now I'm at two WD Blacks 1TB, and one bigger storage drive. I don't know how much better the Blacks are compared to Barracudas, that are way cheaper. Please chime in on that I you have any experience with that.

A RAID setup might come in the future. 

As for cooling I'm thinking of sticking with the stock H100i-fans for now, place a AF140 in the rear, and move the stock fan from the R4 to the front. Two front fans pull air in, H100i and AF140 as exhaust.

Give me feedback on what you think about my planned build! The build is due to be in june sometime. Plenty of time to order parts and change the build. 

PS: if anyone know of a good kinda not-so expensive monitor that display colors better than my current BenQ G2420HD, please let me know.

Current build: Antec P180, Asus P8Z68 Pro, Intel i5-2500k, Asus GTX 570 2GB, Patriot 16GB 1600MHz, Corsair HX 650W.

New build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11270-video-editing-workstation-build/

If you use Premiere Pro you should go for 580 in the new rig so you can use the GPU acceleration or even a lower range Quadro card.

Why not wait for the Haswell generation? And as far as I know 3820 is slower than 3770K.

They're sharing a drink they call loneliness, but it's better than drinkin' alone...

BitFenix Prodigy Black / Intel Core i7 3770K / Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI mITX / ASUS GeForce GTX 660Ti DCUII 2GB / Corsair Vengance LP 8GB (2x4096MB) CL9 1600Mhz / Corsair SF600 - 600W  / Corsair H70 Push Pull

^ Yup, if you're going to be using the i7-3820 then it's not for CPU power, but for features of the 2011/X79 platform.  It won't really be any better than a 3770K, and it has a partially locked multiplier.  You could step down to a 650W power supply and probably save on the motherboard maybe enough to squeeze a 3930K in there.  And just remember the R4 only has two 5.25" bays so keep that in consideration with your "card readers etc."

RAID 0 on the SSD is something I want to do in the future. With 2x256 it will be enough space for some small projects.

I already have a 570 for my new rig. Performance wise in Premiere will there be any noticeable difference? 

Would it be more beneficial to just buy the 3930K now? I might squeeze it in there somehow. My thought was to save money on the 3820 and buy an upcoming Ivy Bridge-E processor when it releases later this year.

I really want the ability of the X79 to expand to 64GB in the future without upgrading MB.

I think I'll just get USB 3.0 external card readers. I use SD-cards so speedwise the USB 3.0 reader will be fast enough.

Thanks so much the replies!

Current build: Antec P180, Asus P8Z68 Pro, Intel i5-2500k, Asus GTX 570 2GB, Patriot 16GB 1600MHz, Corsair HX 650W.

New build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11270-video-editing-workstation-build/

Wait, sorry I just saw that 570 has GPU acceleration in Premiere Pro, you should activate it in the software!

They're sharing a drink they call loneliness, but it's better than drinkin' alone...

BitFenix Prodigy Black / Intel Core i7 3770K / Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI mITX / ASUS GeForce GTX 660Ti DCUII 2GB / Corsair Vengance LP 8GB (2x4096MB) CL9 1600Mhz / Corsair SF600 - 600W  / Corsair H70 Push Pull

Yeah, I know. I've seen over at a Premiere benchmarking site that the top builds vary in what GPU they have. One top build (#4 or something) rock the 570. So I don't think a monster GPU will help me with video editing. 

It looks like i might go with the 3930k.

Well #4 Top build is pretty badass anyway!

Soo....you would spend 2000$ on a new Workstation that's maybe 8% faster?

If you dont buy a 3930K there is not really a reason to buy a new system

And if you can't afford a 3930k the 3770k would be faster than a 3820.

YES YES YES YES  

Everything's awesome, perfectly chosen specs for video editing!

You may be able to squeeze some extra performance out of slightly different performance, but this will do just fine..  and 256GB on that ssd (at least for me) is just enough to hold all of my video editing software.  except i only discovered that when it was too late so i have 2 120gb ssds

My Meme Proudly Featured on the Live-Stream: http://prodigydoo.com/ImageStorage/memes/linus-meme-6.jpg
Some Threads You Should Get involved in: Linus and Slick Memes     Youtubers on the LTT Forum      The List of Tech YouTubers (Contribute!)      Disable AdBlock for Linus (Guide)

I think 256GB will be enough. In the future I might get another one and get a Raid 0. Right now it should be able to hold my software and maybe smaller project files as well. 

Decided to go with the 3930k. My wallet will hurt, but I'll manage. Build log will come in june sometime. I'll be moving into a new appartment as well in september so I'll setup a nice workstation.

Anyone any thoughts on the Dell 24" LED UltraSharp U2412M? 

• 2 weeks later...

Some more parts has arrived in the mail. Got an awesome deal og 32GB of Kingston HyperX Predator RAM clocked at 1600MHz. The kit is CL9 so it's a tad "better" than the HyperX Black kit. Payed only 10 USD more for the Preadator kit than I would for the HyperX Blacks.

I had planned to get a sleeved kit for my Corsair HX750, but I'll have to drop it to afford get the 3930k, Filco and the new monitor. Looks like I'm going for the Dell UltraSharp U2412M.