Macs - Overpriced or Not?

Henry

*The following uses information from US, non-education pricing*

Are Macs overpriced? 

Since the latest news is about the iMac 5k and people are just making ignorant comments about Linus's video, let's talk about that first. Being the hardware person I am and most of the LTT forum are, let me just show you a spec chart to convince you with unbiased information.

iMacs

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QT0v7YTa1ugi8W6dzSAbBEw2Uodehp8KHGI_IhuUwDs/edit?usp=sharing

iMac 5K Conclusion: It is overpriced to all hell for bang for buck and the hardware you get...if you compare it to building a desktop yourself. Comparing it to products of its category (other AIOs)? That's a whole other story. (More to be added about R&D and the engineering)
iMac 21.5in Base Model Conclusion: 

iMac 27in

***NOT FINISHED***

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

Counting the price of a 5k monitor is going to be the same price as the new imac. I would say no. 

Overpriced 5k iMac? Not Really

Overkill iMac? Yes

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

the newer imacs, no

the older last year moddels/mobile devices, this question is not up for debate.

but like someone said. the price of a 5k monitor is alone like 60% of the cost of an imac

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

in my opinion , i would say MOST iMacs are not over priced these days especially considering with the 5k iMac you get a free computer with your 5k display lol

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

@Henry

Didnt you make this same thread a few months back? 

Are you insane? (see Einstein's definition) 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

@Henry

Didnt you make this same thread a few months back? 

Are you insane? (see Einstein's definition) 

Uh for macbooks. Im gonna put all that in one thread. 

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

I personally think the mac trash can is awesome of the specs and compact form factor. so as the macbook pro 2012. 

CPU: Intel i5-4670K CPU Cooler: Swiftech H240-X Motherboard: ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mark 1 Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866MHz 16GB Storage:  Samsung 850 evo 250GB ,1TB WD BLUE, Seagate Barracuda 2TB GPU: ASUS STRIX GTX970 4GB Case: Fractal Design Define R5 PSU: Corsair AX760 Full Modular Monitor: Dell 23" S2340L IPS Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Mouse: Logitech G502(w/ Mi Metal Mousepad) Headphone: Audio Technica ATH-M50/MSR-7 Speaker: Edifier Studio 7 R2730DB

The concept of overpricing is rather subjective and to be decided by the purchaser as they are the one to ultimately decide.

Is there better out there for less or the same price of course. 

Personally I like the design of the iMac and wouldn't mind buying one but I'd rather build a hackintosh because it would be like a Mac but it would have a more personal connection to myself.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

For the build quality and reliability, the base model is not overpriced.

Yeah, you're probably right on that part, however, I think Apple could've still put a higher end CPU in it that had the Intel Iris Pro Graphics because, from what I've seen, the Iris Pro Graphics GPU is pretty decent.

All in all, fanboys will be fanboys, and trying to disprove them is like talking to a brick. I don't think it's worth the time and effort IMO, but that's just me.

Agreed! Fanboys use no logic, even if they know another product is better they'll refuse to admit it and argue just how much the company/product is that they're a fanboy of is better and you can't change their thinking on it, despite the fact it's illogical. :rolleyes:

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I don't think Apple PCs are overpriced at all.

You get superb build quality, decent specs, and a totally hit-or-miss-depending-on-the-person OS. Keep in mind that it's a prebuilt PC and like all prebuilt PCs, for the money you can do better.

It just irritated me when people compare a custom PC to a Mac and say LOOK AT ZEH PRFORMANCE I GETS AND YOU DON'T....

Comparing any other prebuilt to an Apple computer is a bit more fair, but they still stand up there with some of the highest build quality.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I would just like to point out that the 5k iMac is the same price as Dell's new normal 5k monitor alone.

but-thats-none-of-my2.jpg

But, unlike Dell's 5K monitor, Apple's iMac has a processor, a GPU, a hard drive, ALL INTEGRATED INTO THE COMPUTER.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

iMac 5K Conclusion: It is overpriced to all hell for bang for buck and the hardware you get...if you compare it to building a desktop yourself. Comparing it to products of its category (other AIOs)? That's a whole other story. (More to be added about R&D and the engineering)

And how did you come to this conclusion? It's simply not true. Finish your post and do some real research before you make a thread.

i don't think iMac 5k is overpriced cause the resolution is 5K You can compare it with a 5K Monitor price

overkill YES!!

Current Build + Setup

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | GIGABYTE B550 Aorus Pro v2 | CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16gb 3600Mhz | GIGABYTE RTX 3070 AORUS MASTER OC 8 GB | NZXT H510 Elite | 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM | ADATA XPG GAMMIX S7 512GB M.2-2280 NVME | Corsair RM850 80+ Gold Modular PSU | NZXT Kraken X63 | Harman Kardon Soundstick 4 | Koorui 27E1Q

were Macs ever not overpriced? they charge a premium because it means more profit for less units sold, and it makes buyers feel like they bought something of quality. the day Macs are no longer overpriced is the day the entire company loses its mind.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I hate Mac and all of Apple product, but I still have to say that they'er not overpriced. For the argument that said you'll have to pay a lot for little spec, I think same goes for water cooled PC. Finally it come to what is the look you wanted if you want the "apple" look you have to pay a premium to get a mac or if you wanted watercooling look you also have to pay similar price to get that.  

To all of you who are saying "OMG MACS ARE OVERPRICED!" I'm gonna have to disagree with you on some of the models. The Macbook Air, for an extremely light, thin, and decent performing laptop, is worth it's price. Sure you might be able to get a Windows PC that's cheaper and beats it in raw performance, but most of them have shitty 5400rpm Hard drives and weigh more. The 13 inch Macbook pro Retina, which may look expensive at first, is actually worth the price of $1300 because it is relatively light (Not as light as the Macbook air) and has a 2560 x 1600 display, which I have seen in person and looks gorgeous. And again, what everyone said about the 5k iMac not being overpriced is true

Life.exe is missing

*The following uses information from US, non-education pricing*

Are Macs overpriced? 

Since the latest news is about the iMac 5k and people are just making ignorant comments about Linus's video, let's talk about that first. Being the hardware person I am and most of the LTT forum are, let me just show you a spec chart to convince you with unbiased information.

iMacs

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QT0v7YTa1ugi8W6dzSAbBEw2Uodehp8KHGI_IhuUwDs/edit?usp=sharing

iMac 21.5in Base Model Conclusion: 

iMac 27in

***NOT FINISHED***

Based on the first "conclusion", I have to say you're an idiot. Do you have any idea what a single tile 5K IPS monitor costs??? The only comparable monitor costs as much as the baseline 5K iMac and doesn't include a high-endish system!

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

Didn't Linus say something about this before on a WAN show?
On launch, new Apple stuff isn't really overpriced, for the build quality and hardware that's in it.
But because Apple doesn't adjust their pricing much, after a year or two, it's not worth it anymore.

Or something like that.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

But, unlike Dell's 5K monitor, Apple's iMac has a processor, a GPU, a hard drive, ALL INTEGRATED INTO THE COMPUTER.

That was the point of me posting that lol

OP Said that it was mad overpriced, which it isn't. It's pretty damn awesome.

//ccap

Overpriced.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

the macbook air is priced pretty competitively in comparison to the same price point of Windows laptops. The only thing though is the same priced Windows laptops tend to have much better and higher res screens.

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless