Ubisoft Blames AMD for performance issues in AC: Unity

jameyscott

While they aren't blaming them directly.  They are saying it's only an issue on the AMD platform, which just plain isn't true.

"We are aware that the graphics performance of Assassin's Creed Unity on PC may be adversely affected by certain AMD CPU and GPU configurations."

The problem isn't AMD, its drivers, or CPUs.  The problem is it's a bad port.  

The article is pure clickbait. They're stringing together something that didn't happen, claiming AMD fired back at Ubisoft's comment through WCCFTech, lool.

and if you're sitting here saying the problem isn't AMD, why did you post the article with that title?  :huh:

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

You should only point the finger when it's called for. It's not, in this case.

Erm...well...I'm not the one who started this thread am I? ;)

I'll admit that I probably should've analysed the source more thoroughly, so you're right on that part. But don't go pointing your finger at me for just commenting about it and getting possibly annoyed. That is not called for!

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

everyone be sure to inform TB that his poor performance is being caused by his SLI'd AMD 980s and his AMD i7 3960x

He'll be happy to know the cause.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

-op-

Fuck you Ubisoft! Piss off! Get your shit together

#boycottubisoft

AMD should take them to court

My meme is needed.

ubisoft keeps on digginattachicon.gifLinus digging.gif

Oh..

Also.. that image (replace linus with the XB/PS logo) and then they can all wear them and boycott UBI-CROCK

guys..guys..guys...... ubisoft is not digging anymore. this isnt watch dogs. they are fucking drilling to china with a tunnel drill. you know.. those long ass things they use to drill tunnels for subways and stuff. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

The article is pure clickbait. They're stringing together something that didn't happen, claiming AMD fired back at Ubisoft's comment through WCCFTech, lool.

and if you're sitting here saying the problem isn't AMD, why did you post the article with that title?  :huh:

That was AMD's response when emailed by WCCFTech.  

What would you like me to change the title to.  Clickyclickbait?  Ubitsoft yet again full of crap?  

You can see it as clickbait if you want, and I can see where you are coming from.  But saying "We are aware that the graphics performance of Assassin's Creed Unity on PC may be adversely affected by certain AMD CPU and GPU configurations."  instead of "We are aware of the issues currently on the PC's version of Assassin's Creed Unity", to me they are blaming AMD.  That's just the way I see it.

You can see all of my reviews posted in the Member Reviews Section! 

Erm...well...I'm not the one who started this thread am I? ;)

I'll admit that I probably should've analysed the source more thoroughly, so you're right on that part. But don't go pointing your finger at me for just commenting about it and getting possibly annoyed. That is not called for!

I wasn't. I was saying you shouldn't point the finger at Ubisoft when it's not called for, lol. I don't know how you got that out of it, but okay.

That was AMD's response when emailed by WCCFTech.  

What would you like me to change the title to.  Clickyclickbait?  Ubitsoft yet again full of crap?  

You can see it as clickbait if you want, and I can see where you are coming from.  But saying "We are aware that the graphics performance of Assassin's Creed Unity on PC may be adversely affected by certain AMD CPU and GPU configurations."  instead of "We are aware of the issues currently on the PC's version of Assassin's Creed Unity, to me they are blaming AMD.  That's just the way I see it.

I solely believe that that's being misinterpreted, but it's okay.

Wow. That was the dumbest thing Ubisoft could ever have possibly done other than outright say "fuck the customer, they don't know what is good and isn't"

This absolutely made my day.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I wasn't. I was saying you shouldn't point the finger at Ubisoft when it's not called for, lol. I don't know how you got that out of it, but okay.

We're talking about what a PR from Ubisoft said.  Someone who is supposed to choose their words very carefully as not to step on toes.  Oh, who am I kidding.  We're talking about Ubifsoft's PR here! 

You can see all of my reviews posted in the Member Reviews Section! 

Definition of "Working together" per Ubisoft.

AMD: Can we get access to the Games Works library cus optimization is impossible. We have said this before, and having to repeat ourselves sucks.

Ubisoft: I can call Nvidia, but the answer will be no.

AMD: Awesome. Your game is a piece of crap anyways, and this would be just one of the reasons it also sucks on Nvidia hardware.

Ubisoft: It is AMD's fault, but have someone look into that draw call thing. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/946542-AMD-Graphics-Cards-Compatibility-with-Assassin-s-Creed-Unity?s=9f546ef91d1aca615e955dc09c8aa2f5

There you go.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

Well my apologies, I must've misinterpreted what you were saying. My bad. Please forgive me. :blush:

In any case, doesn't it sound to you like Ubisoft is blaming AMD? Maybe they stuffed up their wording, but it sounds like that to me...and others here.

Well, that explains why the game is not running well on NV cards.

BTW, next on Ubisoft's blaming game:

Nvidia

Microsoft

Sony

Obama

Two revolutionary dance tones

Well my apologies, I must've misinterpreted what you were saying. My bad. Please forgive me.

In any case, doesn't sound to you like Ubisoft is blaming AMD? Maybe they stuffed up their wording, but it sounds like that to me...and others here.

"rest assured that AMD and Ubisoft are continuing to work together closely to resolve the issue, and will provide more information as soon as it is available."

If you look at it from a rational and non-biased point of view, there's nothing in there that says "It's AMD's fault". There's been early-access games that have said similar things like this (Warframe being an example, since they had an issue with PhysX way back when and worked with Nvidia to resolve it) and no one interpreted it as blaming the vendor. It's a bug that didn't get squashed during alpha/beta.

Well, that explains why the game is not running well on NV cards.

BTW, next on Ubisoft's blaming game:

Nvidia

Microsoft

Sony

Obama

Soon they'll start blaming their NPCs. One by one. That way they they'll never run out of options :lol:.

LOL

you have won the internets for the day. and probably tomorrow morning as well. infact you can just go to the fcc and fill out the paperwork to just own the damn thing. god damn that made me laugh so hard. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

"rest assured that AMD and Ubisoft are continuing to work together closely to resolve the issue, and will provide more information as soon as it is available."

If you look at it from a rational and non-biased point of view, there's nothing in there that says "It's AMD's fault". There's been early-access games that have said similar things like this (Warframe being an example, since they had an issue with PhysX way back when and worked with Nvidia to resolve it) and no one interpreted it as blaming the vendor. It's a bug that didn't get squashed during alpha/beta.

You make a good point. :)

Are we good now? :)

You make a good point. :)

Are we good now? :)

Well I never spoke ill toward you so.. lool

Well I never spoke ill toward you so.. lool

Yeah, well maybe you should be asking me that question LOL, in which I'd reply "We're all good mate!".

There's also nothing in this article that says Ubisoft is blaming AMD. Clickbait article is clickbait.

The Ubisoft PR rep said: "We are aware that the graphics performance of Assassin's Creed Unity on PC may be adversely affected by certain AMD CPU and GPU configurations. This should not affect the vast majority of PC players, but rest assured that AMD and Ubisoft are continuing to work together closely to resolve the issue, and will provide more information as soon as it is available"

While it might not actually say it's AMD's fault it is implying that it only suffers from issues with AMD hardware which isn't the case.

I'm also curious why (well what excuse they have) for Black Flag looking so much better then Unity even if comparing Black Flag running on a 270x vs Unity on 780ti or 980 both with high end overclocked I7's.

Personally I don't really care as I only liked Black Flag for the pirate theme otherwise Assassins Creed is a rather boring series IMO.

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

Though I agreed, Kitguru got this segment:

"It should be kept in mind that Assassin’s Creed Unity is one of the first games to feature hundreds of NPCs [non-player characters] is many scenes, which requires tremendous amount of both CPU and GPU processing horsepower. An unknown engineer (presumably from AMD) explained to Wccftech that ACU suffers from bottlenecks of the current DirectX 11 application programming interface, which means that many problems cannot be solved easily at all."

(http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/ubisoft-accuses-amd-hardware-of-assassins-creed-unitys-poor-performance/ <= Article)

I think Ubisoft bit off more than they can chewed with the current DirectX,so they ended up giving up half way on the optimisation.

I want AMD to bitchslap Ubisoft now.

AMD's response is pretty much a bitchslap

The below statement in the opening post was AMD's response

"The game (in its current state) is issuing approximately 50,000 draw calls on the DirectX 11 API. Problem is, DX11 is only equipped to handle ~10,000 peak draw calls. What happens after that is a severe bottleneck with most draw calls culled or incorrectly rendered, resulting in texture/NPCs popping all over the place. On the other hand, consoles have to-the-metal access and almost non-existent API Overhead but significantly underpowered hardware which is not able to cope with the stress of the multitude of polygons. Simply put, its a very very bad port for the PC Platform and an unoptimized (some would even go as far as saying, unfinished) title on the consoles".

Ubisoft was probably trying to frame this as an AMD issues because of their contract with Nvidia. Which I assume is in jeaopardy now as they continue to hurt Nvidia's reputation :P .