Lights Dim When Powering on My PC

EarthboundHero

So my house is old, like over 100 years, and the electricity (According to my uncle) hasn't been updated since the 50's. I have one outlet that has 2 3-pronged outlets, and another that has 2 2-pronged outlets. Anyways whenever I turn on my PC, the light in my room dims. Is this unsafe? I feel like my house is going to burn down. Does anyone else have this issue?

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

its fine

edit. as long as u dont flip the breaker

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

It's a brownout, you might short something but it "should" be safe. Your computer is drawing so much power that the other components aren't getting the same flow of power as when your computer is off.

Your PC is sucking up a lot of power. Either upgrade the electrical system or move.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

So my house is old, like over 100 years, and the electricity (According to my uncle) hasn't been updated since the 50's. I have one outlet that has 2 3-pronged outlets, and another that has 2 2-pronged outlets. Anyways whenever I turn on my PC, the light in my room dims. Is this unsafe? I feel like my house is going to burn down. Does anyone else have this issue?

it is safe how many watts should your pc draw

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

That means that the circuit giving power to your PC and lights is weak. This could potentially cause an issue to your PC if you have too much stuff plugged in to that circuit, because your PSU might not get enough power.

So basically, dont plug anything that uses lots of power (such as a microwave or heater) into the same circuit as your PC when the PC is on.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Do you want to know what's wrong? WIRING FROM THE 50's. Which means that the fuse breaker is probably old as fuck as well, and... Yeah. It's just a giant clusterfuck of no. For the love of god, get someone in that house to fix ALL of the wiring up. My grandma's house has most of the wiring done up again (other than the attic, that's still 50's original), and it's so much nicer. She only has a few outlets that are grounded upstairs, but for her that's fine.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I wish I could move, but my grandpa owns the house so my mum gets a really good deal on it. And both my mum and grandpa are too cheap to upgrade the electricity. Guess I'll just have to be careful.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

One question what is with the member title it seems to take it too far

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

see if you had uk wiring from the 50s you'd still be fine. 240v for the win, wiring that old is a fire hazard though. best to look into getting it updated

One question what is with the member title it seems to take it too far

I'm a diabetic, and as far as I know there isn't a diabetics club here on LTT. So I figured why not make one. Plus, I couldn't think of anything else.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

I'm a diabetic, and as far as I know there isn't a diabetics club here on LTT. So I figured why not make one. Plus, I couldn't think of anything else.

k i am pre-diabetic  but why? Its like a scitsophrenic making the delusional club of ltt or the bipolar club of ltt

Or even worse the huntingtons desiese club look it up its bad and odds are 14 people that regestered for this forum have it

It might be OK if you don't do anything stupid like 4way SLI or something.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

My house was built in the late 1980s and having a hairdryer and an iron going at the same type dims the lights for a bit and then flips the breaker. 

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless

My house was built in the 40s, the lights dim when either the hair dryer/air conditioner goes on, it's fine as long as you don't trip a breaker.

There are a number of things that could be going on. If you can you might wish to check the amperage on that circut there is a chance that the circut is overloaded which could be dangerous. It could also be a fault with something in the powersupply drawing too much power on startup. How old is the computer and how big is the power supply?

JayzTwoCents has this issue with his 5960X (or something heavily overclocked on X99, can't remember what), triple 980s OC'd, million fans, custom watercooling, 4 monitors setup. The thing draws like 800 watts so it can cause that to happen in an older house.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||