Are your parents into tech?

Sandvich

my great uncle is really smart i forget what he did but he was part of nasa

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

My brother is who got me into the Computer tech scene. My parents have to call me to help them print things. Remote desktop is a wonderful tool hahaha.

I always inform my father about new stuff on the marked. If I explain him stuff he mostly gets it with 2 or 3 tries. 

But is really likes to check new hardware I got. Like the Oculus Rift. He was really interested in what direction technology is going at them moment. He also learns quite much from me because I administrate his company network :)

My mother is not that interested in technology... As Long is her computer kinda runs she is happy...

My dad used to be a PC enthusiast back in 2004. He was a gamer few years ago too, and he still knows quote much about PCs.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

I'm 32, I've been tinkering a while, and my Mums been a single parent watching and helping me since way back when I was 14 :)

My Mum can do everything I can do,...She could do a custom build if she wanted to, and has upgraded her own hardware before (Swapped Memory/HDD's and had to tinker with Bios's and boot orders, amongst other things),... but she knows I enjoy it more, so I end up doing it. (Plus I am faster)

She removes her own virus's, malware and nasties, she recognizes unknown process's and asks me about them (not to fix it for her, but so she can fix it)

My Mum was a desktop publisher and typist for years before we had our first puter, so she wasn't a noob to begin with, but couldn't problem solve until I began showing her.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Dad likes lenses for camera's, DSLR. He knows some things about PC.

He wants 4 SSD in raid 0, said to me ....I was like  :blink:  :lol:

Mom, bookworm loves the e-reader. Sony e-reader FTW.

My parents are about as far as possible from tech. The only one in my family that's into tech besides me is my older brother.

My uncle is the owner of the company GAME in the UK, no immediate family is into tech though other than my bro who is very casual about tech, but knows nothing of how it all works.

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

My mom knows that more GB = better, but thinks SSDs are dumb because saving word files doesn't take that long. She still calls the entire Computer a CPU and refers to the case + Internals as the motherboard.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

My parents are so far away from anything tech related...

They freaked out when they saw a 2nd remote control on the table in front of the TV (it was for the receiver).

My dad is fairly tech savvy, but my mom still doesn't believe that pressing the power button on her phone just turns off the screen. She thinks it will turn off the phone.

I wish. My step dad doesn't even know how to link things into Facebook, and my mum just knows how to use the software she uses. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Hell no my mother can't even use a laptop (Not even a Mac). The only thing I've managed to teach her how to use is an iPhone and that was a bloody challenge.

My father is also useless at computers.

I got my interest from my uncle but I learnt 99% of what I know by myself. My uncle still uses Windows 2000 Professional thats how bad he got xD Took him years to get him off Windows 9x.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

I have been trying to convert my brother to actually get in to building computers instead of letting me do all the work.

I know what you mean, I'll be building my brother his new computer this month and when asked how much RAM he wanted he said, "Uh, 1TB sounds good." He thought RAM was the hard drive. -.-

PC Specs: 

CPU: i7-9700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite | RAM: 16GB's Team T-Force Vulcan 3000MHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP! Edition  | Storage: 500GB WD Caviar Blue | 1TB WD Caviar Black | Crucial BX200 240GB SSD | OS: Windows 10 64-bit  | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headphones: Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition's, HD 598 Cs | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire XT MX Blues Monitors: Acer GN246HL 144Hz, Acer G226HQLBbd 60Hz | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro.

Ahahahabsolutely not :D

My father thinks that technology and computers are "evil" being the only cause of why I'm such a failure and regrets getting me my first Amiga 500 :P

My mom just visits facebook and news sites from her tablet :o

My uncle is sort of tech person he knows enough but not enough to pay me $20 to get his computers to share information.

My parents think that tablets are large mobile phones...

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs. And the Universe trying to produce bigger idiots.. The Universe is winning"

(Gaming PC) CPU:- i5 4690k 3.5GHZ . MOTHERBOARD:- MSI G45 Z97 Gaming . CPU Cooler:- H100i . GPU:- ASUS Geforce GTX-780ti Direct CU II OC -x2 SLI . RAM:- 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 4x4GB . CASE:- Corsair 750D Obsidian Series . PSU:- EVGA SuperNova 850W Gold . FANS:- x3 Corsair AF120 RED LED, x2 Corsair AF120 (Red rings) .STORAGE:- Kingston V300 120GB (Boot Drive), x2 1TB WD Blues, x2 500GB Samsungs .

Spoiler

KEYBOARD:- Logitech G19. | GAMEPAD:- Logitech G13. | HEADPHONES:- Logitech G35. | MOUSE:- CM Storm Sentinel Advanced II. | JOYSTICK:- Saitek ST200. | RACING WHEEL:- Logitech Driving Force GT. | OTHER:- TrackIR 5 + Vector Clip | CounterStrike XXL Mousemat

Nope...

I was reminded of it as they were both standing in front of an old laptop, not knowing what to do.. because the screen was saying the cmos time was wrong (battery is completely dead, doesn't even power on without the power brick plugged in) and to press F1 to continue... They had no idea, they were looking at it as if it was some weird alien creature, approaching it slowly and afraid of touching it...

Tech is so easy to understand if you just READ what's on the screen... seriously... Nearly everything a computer wants you to do when there's a problem, is written right there on the screen... yet nobody seems to be able to read.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Dad? No. Thinks steam is a virus, Insists I should install IE (linux, dude...) Cant seem to fathom the concept of a GPU.

Mom? she's all right. She bought me a mechanical keyboard on a trip to somewhere in asia (TBH, I cant remember where.), Understands the concept of linux, what it can and cant do.

CPU: AMD Athlon 5350 (2.66 Ghz OC) Motherboard: Asus AM1m-a Memory: Mushkin Radioactive 8GB DDR3-1600 GPU: MSI R7 260 1GD5 OC Storage: Toshiba Hybrid 500GB Case: Cougar Spike PSU: Rosewill Arc 450 OS: Deepin Linux 2014

My father designs machines that etch wafers for electronics, I guess that counts.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Well my parents still use a Windows 95 computer for their business; I think that proves how tech-savy they are?

My dad is not "into tech" persay, but he does keep his devices all updated.  At this point he's basically abandoned laptops in favor of his phone and tablet.  Meanwhile I'm the archaic one with a desktop :).

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

no my parents are very far from techy whenever like a desktop icon disappear they automatically think someone hacked them or they got a virus. so im there mr.fixit guy  

Cpu: i7 4790k Mobo: Asus z97-A  PSU:Ultra Semi-Modular 850w SSD: Kingston 240gb HDD: Segate 1tb Ram: 2x8gb G.Skill ram GPU: Zotaz GTX 980 AMP! Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed 

My dad, yeah, he's a Mac guy though, from back in the day when they were on par with other systems when it came to functionality, he never really moved away from it. My mum, yeah, no. She can do the basics and isn't annoying, but that's it.

It really was my friends in early high school that got me into tech myself.
@Sandvich you should make this a poll. "Both parents, Mum, Dad, neither."

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P