Why do you need a better CPU?

I have a fx-4130 oced to 4.1 ghz and I haven't noticed any problems with it.  I tend to have 30 tabs open, youtube/streaming on twitch, and playing a game at the same time, but I haven't had the cpu load go above 70%.  Why is it that everyone says you need to get an i5-4670k or some better cpu for gaming?

I have a fx-4130 oced to 4.1 ghz and I haven't noticed any problems with it.  I tend to have 30 tabs open, youtube/streaming on twitch, and playing a game at the same time, but I haven't had the cpu load go above 70%.  Why is it that everyone says you need to get an i5-4670k or some better cpu for gaming?

The only reason is that you will have a better experience, but I would say you should upgrade your graphics card before cpu. It is what determines game performance more than anything. (not that your cpu doesn't affect it just that its not as big of an impact)

This is my opinion, it doesn't mean I'm right and is liable to change at any time. I may offend of which I apologize in advance.

(Our lord and savior: GabeN)

The i5 will have better single-threaded performance, so you may get performance gains in certain games.  Not to mention the i5 has better moduling.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

Because in games especially when using a high end GPU, you will be bottlenecked by a weaker CPU

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Also Intel tends to have better single core performance.

This is my opinion, it doesn't mean I'm right and is liable to change at any time. I may offend of which I apologize in advance.

Because in games especially when using a high end GPU, you will be bottlenecked by a weaker CPU

this is true, but his cpu isn't that bad. He should be fine to play any modern game with a good gpu to match.

for me would be all for self satisfaction.

I know that is why I bough one of the new processors from intel. X99 platform.

Why is it that everyone says you need to get an i5-4670k or some better cpu for gaming?

Its not that you "need" it for gaming… most of the time. But there are some games out there that really strangle a CPU, and the i5 will always come out far ahead of the FX-4130 in any CPU-bound situation. To put it another way, you don't need it until you do.

There are some very recent games with rather intense CPU workloads, such as Watch Dogs, that I very much doubt you would get to 60 FPS using an FX-4130 at any overclock. And if you are trying to game on a 120/144 Hz monitor, you can often hit CPU limitations even in games that were fine at 60 FPS.

Your CPU is a bottleneck. It has horrible single core performance, which basically means you get 10-20% less fps in games than you would with an i5. If you have a decent graphics card the games you play may still be playable, but you are not getting the full performance out of your graphics card because your CPU is bottlenecking its potential.

Also your CPU does not have to be at 100% to give reduced performance. It can be a bottleneck even below 50% usage.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Your CPU is a bottleneck. It has horrible single core performance, which basically means you get 10-20% less fps in games than you would with an i5. If you have a decent graphics card the games you play may still be playable, but you are not getting the full performance out of your graphics card because your CPU is bottlenecking its potential.

Well, no. That depends on the game. In a given game, the CPU is capable of X framerate and the GPU is capable of Y framerate. There's only a bottleneck if X < Y (and its less than your preferred framerate). There's still a lot of games out there where an FX-4170 will get you to 60 FPS just fine, and in that case the i5 won't make any difference. A lot of newer games push the CPU pretty hard, though.

Well, no. That depends on the game. In a given game, the CPU is capable of X framerate and the GPU is capable of Y framerate. There's only a bottleneck if X < Y (and its less than your preferred framerate). There's still a lot of games out there where an FX-4170 will get you to 60 FPS just fine, and in that case the i5 won't make any difference. A lot of newer games push the CPU pretty hard, though.

A CPU doesnt render frames.

A CPU doesnt render frames.

I didn't say it did. It "allows" the GPU to render those frames, though. And as long as its fast enough to allow your preferred framerate, its fast enough.

My point is there is no blanket percentage that will be taken off the top of your performance if you have a particular CPU, which is a really popular idea in tech forums. Sometimes a slow CPU will matter a lot, sometimes not at all.

@TS if you're happy with your cpu and doesn't feel the need to upgrade nor want eye candy right now why not just keep it? save more money until you can go all nuts on a new rig.

Live your life like a dream.

No, thats not how it works.

If the graphics card is something like a 260x/750ti or better, your performance in games with an i5 would be X, but the performance in games with the 4170 (and the same GPU) would be X-10%

So in fact the amount it bottlenecks will depend on the game, but it will bottleneck any game that can fully utilize the graphics horsepower that the graphics card has.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

No, thats not how it works.

If the graphics card is something like a 260x/750ti or better, your performance in games with an i5 would be X, but the performance in games with the 4170 (and the same GPU) would be X-10%

So in fact the amount it bottlenecks will depend on the game, but it will bottleneck any game that can fully utilize the graphics horsepower that the graphics card has.

That doesn't make any sense. If a game is not restricted by your CPU's performance, the framerate you get will be entirely what the video card is capable of rendering (thus those nice even graphs in BF4 single player CPU benchmarks). Its only if your CPU is too slow to allow that you will see any CPU-related limitation, and even then it will often fall behind your framerate cap anyway.

That doesn't make any sense. If a game is not restricted by your CPU's performance, the framerate you get will be entirely what the video card is capable of rendering (thus those nice even graphs in BF4 single player CPU benchmarks). Its only if your CPU is too slow to allow that you will see any CPU-related limitation, and even then it will often fall behind your framerate cap anyway.

Games are both restricted by CPU AND GPU performance at the same time. There is no CPU that causes 0 performance decrease from your GPUs performance.

If you get an 8350, it will be a few frames slower than a 4690. Even a 4690k is a few frames slower than a 4790k. etc...

Unless its a 10 year old game then it will be affected by your CPUs performance.

Spoiler

Game Engines work by processing data, then rendering the frame (buffer). So if your CPU isn't fast enough to process the data before the GPU is, then it is a bottleneck.

For the average person with an average mid-range GPU, anything better than a Core 2 Quad Q6600 / Phenom II X4 945 should run about anything. The problems come in where you want to play Crysis 3 with 4 GPUs @ 120Hz -- then you need a better processor.

I use a Lenovo T440: i5 4300U, 8GB RAM, 128GB Samsung 840 Evo, 14" 900p display and an external 23" 1080p passive 3D monitor. Extended 6-cell battery with internal 3-cell. Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (I only use open-source software -- haven't paid for a single program yet).

Me because of star citizen and I like being able to be lazy and have stuff running in the background, as for 4670k or better that's pretty much the forum trend running at the moment.

If you don't need to upgrade, don't upgrade.

Games are both restricted by CPU AND GPU performance at the same time. There is no CPU that causes 0 performance decrease from your GPUs performance.

If you get an 8350, it will be a few frames slower than a 4690. Even a 4690k is a few frames slower than a 4790k. etc...

Unless its a 10 year old game then it will be affected by your CPUs performance.

I gave the BF3/BF4 single player example above: http://www.techspot.com/review/458-battlefield-3-performance/page7.htmlhttp://www.techspot.com/review/734-battlefield-4-benchmarks/page6.html

Tomb Raider behaves similarly: http://www.techspot.com/review/645-tomb-raider-performance/page5.html

I am aware these are extreme cases, but these are relatively new games where the FX-41xx will perform within the margin of error of an i5 under controlled conditions. Sometimes all you need is a bare minimum to get GPU-determined performance. Step back 1-3 years and there's actually quite a lot of games that will perform similarly.

I'm not trying to argue that the FX-4170 isn't slow; I know many newer games in the same vein as Watch Dogs are going to be noticeably bottlenecked with that chip. What I said was that anytime CPU performance is making a difference, the i5 is vastly superior.

So, which should I upgrade first?  Gtx 660 or the fx-4130?

Depends what you play. If it's MOBAs and strategy games, go for a new CPU. If it's graphically demanding titles like Battlefield, then definitely GPU.

I use a Lenovo T440: i5 4300U, 8GB RAM, 128GB Samsung 840 Evo, 14" 900p display and an external 23" 1080p passive 3D monitor. Extended 6-cell battery with internal 3-cell. Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (I only use open-source software -- haven't paid for a single program yet).

So, which should I upgrade first?  Gtx 660 or the fx-4130?

both need an upgrade, you should look for a core i5-4460 and a cheap H97 motherboard and then grab a GTX 970

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR