Does the Corsair line of RGB Products NOT have 16.9 Million Colors? (Only 512 to be exact)

imdavidh96

A user did some tests and maths and foud that it he was having trouble with it making all the 16 millions combinations

and many other people have also confirmed this is happening

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133172

Testing each color was a matter of clearing every key (turning their background color to off) then making a simple fade from 255 of that color (0 on the other channels) to 0, running it over 10 seconds and counting the unique steps of brightness it produced. If a light could produce a full 256 levels of brightness I shouldn't be able to count them in real time. I could.

Testing each channel produced the same results: 8 steps of brightness each. 8 * 8 * 8 = 512 colors. That leaves us a whole 16,776,704 colors short of the advertised color range.

and fro other users who reversed engineered the usb data found this:

Yeah, my reverse engineering shows 3 bits per LED, i.e. 8 brightness steps including off. OP is thus right in saying 8*8*8 = 512 possible colors.

This was discussed on the WAN show.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

This was discussed on the WAN show.

He probably didn't watched it yet. but Linus already posted the document right?

Corsair RGB keyboards allegedly only producing 512 colours

Source 1: forum.corsair.com

• Users of the keyboards have reported seeing noticeable steps when adjusting colours of the keys.

• The keyboard is advertised as supporting 8bit (2^8=256 colours) colour giving 16.8 million. However, it is found to only support 3bit (2^3 = 8 colours) colour giving 512 combinations

• According to forum users the issue is either because they are constrained to the USB protocol that only supports 3 bits per channel or because the  three Panasonic A32181 LED matrix ICs they used to control the keyboard is only able to give individual LEDs 3 bits of control per channel.

• This may be fixed in a future software patch. There has been no comment from Corsair about the issue besides “I'll have to ask our engineers for a better explanation.” - CorsairJames 9 days ago.

My Current PC Codename: Scrapper

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

That's fine, but I just wanted to point out.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

A user did some tests and maths and foud that it he was having trouble with it making all the 16 millions combinations

and many other people have also confirmed this is happening

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133172

and fro other users who reversed engineered the usb data found this:

your display probably also do not show all those colors, I have calibrated mine with the spider pro 4, and still it only show 98% of the RBG color range, if you have a wide gamut monitor off course it's a little diferent.

Corsair RGB keyboards allegedly only producing 512 colours

Source 1: forum.corsair.com

• Users of the keyboards have reported seeing noticeable steps when adjusting colours of the keys.

• The keyboard is advertised as supporting 8bit (2^8=256 colours) colour giving 16.8 million. However, it is found to only support 3bit (2^3 = 8 colours) colour giving 512 combinations

• According to forum users the issue is either because they are constrained to the USB protocol that only supports 3 bits per channel or because the  three Panasonic A32181 LED matrix ICs they used to control the keyboard is only able to give individual LEDs 3 bits of control per channel.

• This may be fixed in a future software patch. There has been no comment from Corsair about the issue besides “I'll have to ask our engineers for a better explanation.” - CorsairJames 9 days ago.

Its just marketing... Linus has said countless times that you can only distinguish very different colors... common guys...

Okej, i understand it is marketing, and for me they are allowed to make there product look 10% better then it actually is but 512 colors is only 0,003% of 16.000.000 :P

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Hope Linus sees this and puts it on the Wan Show.

If he doesn't, questions need to be asked....

Did you not pay attention to any of the above posted comments? It was already featured on the WAN Show

Did you not pay attention to any of the above posted comments? It was already featured on the WAN Show

:) I admit to my sin, i didn't read all of the comments. I'm halfway through the Wan Show.

Will edit my comment.

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Marketing aside, it's still more colours than any mechanical keyboard provides on a single keyboard. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Hopefully someone gets the ball rolling and files a class action. I'd get in on that.

Hopefully someone gets the ball rolling and files a class action. I'd get in on that.

That would be stupid, useless, and an insult to all involved. I would not get in on that.

first the tramp stamp and now this....

come on corsair.....

Some of the comments here are somewhat disappointing- I'm referring to those pertaining to such as "it's alright, it's just marketing", "You would not notice it anyways" and "Linus has already covered it". Are we going to let Corsair get away with false advertising? Even if you don't notice it, it's yet deceptive and people should know the truth. I personally want this to become a really big deal so no other company dare try such an advertising campaign without first properly ensuring that their product advertises what it does.

On an other note- if Linus has addressed this during the WAN show (I've not seen it yet) and if he does not strongly disagree with Corsair or poke around since he is channeling that product on his videos, that will end my viewership for the very least. That is me taking a stance on this matter...

PC in Profile

Some of the comments here are somewhat disappointing- I'm referring to those pertaining to such as "it's alright, it's just marketing", "You would not notice it anyways" and "Linus has already covered it". Are we going to let Corsair get away with false advertising? Even if you don't notice it, it's yet deceptive and people should know the truth. I personally want this to become a really big deal so no other company dare try such an advertising campaign without first properly ensuring that their product advertises what it does.

On an other note- if Linus has addressed this during the WAN show (I've not seen it yet) and if he does not strongly disagree with Corsair or poke around since he is channeling that product on his videos, that will end my viewership for the very least. That is me taking a stance on this matter...

Linus was no overly critical of Corsair because the led device with 16 million colours gag has been around for a long time. If Corsair is gonna get punished for this then every company that has ever done the same will too, he gave the example of a Razer mouse on the show.

This isn't really an accuse for me though, just because no one bother to check before doesn't really mean it's "okay to keep doing it." I think it's weird however, that Corsair delayed their product so long and released in this state.

Edit: Linus CES '14 coverage of the keyboard, where he mentions the limitations of past RGB and how Corsair's keyboard is different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-GjMH8kQlc#t=79

@Shalashaska- I completely agree with you. Being "Corsair" does not give them the right for falsely advertising their products for something that it is not. At the end of the day, nothing changes the fact that it is yet deceptive advertising, and after watching the WAN show, I am rather disappointed in Linus for not slamming Corsair hard enough on it.

Linus is on the forefront for tech reviews and his words can change the way a company operates. Him giving a nod sort of allows other companies to be alright with it; we should never be alright with deceptive marketing and we should get what we paid for.

PC in Profile

The website explicitly states 16.8 million colors.  If they're not delivering that, then they shouldn't promise it.  

Satan's buttcrack 4790K - MSI mpower ultramaxextreme AC - 16gb G.skillz Trident 2400 - ZLoLtac GTX 980  - Corsair H110 Overkill - Oculus Rift DK2 - Asus vg248qe7the144hzone

@Shalashaska- I completely agree with you. Being "Corsair" does not give them the right for falsely advertising their products for something that it is not. At the end of the day, nothing changes the fact that it is yet deceptive advertising, and after watching the WAN show, I am rather disappointed in Linus for not slamming Corsair hard enough on it.

Linus is on the forefront for tech reviews and his words can change the way a company operates. Him giving a nod sort of allows other companies to be alright with it; we should never be alright with deceptive marketing and we should get what we paid for.

You expect someone whom takes their income from advertisements (read: he's payed to do reviews meaning they will be biased, dishonest and more. you just have to read through the varying "omg i love this product" to figure out how it really performs).

You expect someone whom takes their income from advertisements (read: he's payed to do reviews meaning they will be biased, dishonest and more. you just have to read through the varying "omg i love this product" to figure out how it really performs).

Sdw275V.gif

Are you certain of what you just posted? O.o

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Let's be clear about this: Wether you can notice it or not - it remains false advertising in order to achieve a higher price.

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK