Why does the USA not use a 3 pin plug?

asim1999

Oh....good to know...... It was built in the early 1900's I think.

Probably knob and tube wiring then. I imagine someone has upgraded all the wiring since it was built.

Only smaller stuff like phone chargers and deal lamps, external hard drives, and speakers don't. All the higher wattage stuff does. Dryers and ranges use a 220-240 volt plug

*ding ding ding*

Although my brick for my hard drives is grounded.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Probably knob and tube wiring then. I imagine someone has upgraded all the wiring since it was built.

I think I remember seeing some kind of weird looking tube around the wires when we put in a ceiling fan.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

post-37262-0-66762000-1414090812.gif

hehe

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

I think I remember seeing some kind of weird looking tube around the wires when we put in a ceiling fan.

You mean something like this?

672709.jpg

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

I must say that the US Plug design is really bad. I got shocked by one, because the Plug already caries power when it is half way in. 

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

You mean something like this?

672709.jpg

It appeared to be some kind of cloth or denim....... not plastic

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I must say that the US Plug design is really bad. I got shocked by one, because the Plug already caries power when it is half way in.

There's something to be said for paying attention to what you are doing.

It's prob already be said already, but eh whatever I'll post. Most devices don't need it such as televisions and phone chargers. For things of more bulk, we have 3 pronged solutions like for the fridge and PC.

There's something to be said for paying attention to what you are doing.

The outlet was hard to reach, so I tried to plug it in without seeing, what I am doing. I still think, they should be able to improve it to make it safer. 

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

It's prob already be said already, but eh whatever I'll post. Most devices don't need it such as televisions and phone chargers. For things of more bulk, we have 3 pronged solutions like for the fridge and PC.

Yup, we have 2-pin plugs for certain devices too

0_big.jpg

The outlet was hard to reach, so I tried to plug it in without seeing, what I am doing. I still think, they should be able to improve it to make it safer.

Makes sense. I've been in similar situations, but I hold it by the cord at the base of the male connector when working like that.

we should have one internationnal plug, that's all. It's annoying to have this kind of difference between countries.

So unlikely. It took decades for the UK to have the standard it has now. Before, we had around 15 different plugs last century, and the adapters were huge.

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

We do:

765px-NEMA_simplified_pins.svg.png

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

The US uses a 3 plug on just about everything that is 125-110VAC since its in the NEC (National Electrical Code). when you get to 220-240VAC that is a 4 prong plug like for washers and dryers. If its a 2 prong device, its still grounded since neutral is connected to the grounding wire on the grounded conductor. The reason why there is a lot of 3 pronged devices is because The grounded prong is the first to be grounded, then the neutral, then the "HOT" wire is last to make contact with the contacts on the outlet. its not rocket science guys. Different countries have different Electrical codes so thats why everyone is different. Even a lot of wire colors are different for every country.

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

EU plugs are best. And the 230V rail. Suck it 'Murrica with your puny 115V!

In the US its actually ~120 v phase to neutral or 240v phase to phase. Each phase is 180 degrees out of phase with each other. Airgo, we use a split phase system. Every household still has 240v available.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

In the US its actually ~120 v phase to neutral or 240v phase to phase. Each phase is 180 degrees out of phase with each other. Airgo, we use a split phase system. Every household still has 240v available.

But most appliances use 120V as it is, what comes out of the general plug. Our PSUs are more efficient :D

REMEMBER TO QUOTE SO I GET A NOTIFCATION! Add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Shroomster/ Review(s) more to come

But most appliances use 120V as it is, what comes out of the general plug. Our PSUs are more efficient :D

Yes, the standard plug is 120v. That doesn't mean we don't use 240v. We have quite a number of appliances that use 240v, such as air conditioners (central system), electric/induction cooktops, ovens, electric vehicle car chargers. 

We have 240v plugs that look like this:

NEMA_6-15R.jpg

Depending on the voltage and amperage draw, we use different sockets to prevent plugging a 120v appliance into a 240 outlet and vice-versa.

Yes, the standard plug is 120v. That doesn't mean we don't use 240v. We have quite a number of appliances that use 240v, such as air conditioners (central system), electric/induction cooktops, ovens, electric vehicle car chargers. 

We have 240v plugs that look like this:

NEMA_6-15R.jpg

Depending on the voltage and amperage draw, we use different sockets to prevent plugging a 120v appliance into a 240 outlet and vice-versa.

Yes, I know. I was talking like lamps and such. I know you have 240V as well. It is though mostly used for those large draw stuff you know :D

REMEMBER TO QUOTE SO I GET A NOTIFCATION! Add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Shroomster/ Review(s) more to come

Yes, I know. I was talking like lamps and such. I know you have 240V as well. It is though mostly used for those large draw stuff you know :D

I actually have a 240V plug that I run my computers off of in my office room, along with an APC PDU, yes I am the oddball person that takes advantage of the increased efficiency of switched mode power supplies!

Oh....good to know...... It was built in the early 1900's I think.

You're probably fine then. It doesn't really matter how old the wiring is as long as its all copper. Its the 1970's you need to worry about, contractors suddenly started using aluminum because it was cheaper and where I live entire neighborhoods burned down as a result.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

In the UK all appliances normally use a 3 pin or only work with a 3 pin (except bathroom appliances that would be dangerous with 230v)

Must be a pain in the backside with multiple sockets

Here in the UK we have one no-hassle simple standard that IMO should be for the whole world as well

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

I actually have a 240V plug that I run my computers off of in my office room, along with an APC PDU, yes I am the oddball person that takes advantage of the increased efficiency of switched mode power supplies!

Oh, really. Nice. It does quite bit of difference in the long run.

we should have one internationnal plug, that's all. It's annoying to have this kind of difference between countries.

It's not as simple as that though. As nice as this would be, it won't happen, and even if it does, it will take years to implement. It's much more than just swapping out the actual power outlets and power cables. Each country would have to retrofit their current electricity grid to fit the spec. 

Here's a few examples that I know of off of the top of my head:

Japan runs on 100 volts. 

The United States runs on 120 volts.

The European Union runs on 230 volts. 

That's a big difference. As of right now, it's simpler to just have multiple plugs. Another concern would be money. The world's economy is pretty terribad right now, and for the time being, it's only going to get worse. It would take billions of Dollars/Euros/Yen/whatever to make a universal plug even possible, and it's just something that most countries can't afford, nor is it a need for concern. 

COMIC SANS