Why does the USA not use a 3 pin plug?

asim1999

It's not as simple as that though. As nice as this would be, it won't happen, and even if it does, it will take years to implement. It's much more than just swapping out the actual power outlets and power cables. Each country would have to retrofit their current electricity grid to fit the spec. 

Your so smart. Damn.

Why should it matter now though? Its going to be much more expensive to change all the plugs now. One of the reasons US wont change to metric.

We've lived this far with it, its been good so far hasn't it?

Your so smart. Damn.

*You're <3

I appreciate the flattery. While yes, I did know all of this off of the top of my head, all of the information can easily be found using Google. 

Why should it matter now though? Its going to be much more expensive to change all the plugs now. One of the reasons US wont change to metric.

We've lived this far with it, its been good so far hasn't it?

I agree. It's of no concern trying to make a universal plug. There's no real reason for it other than ease of use, and even at that, most people don't travel to different regions of the world. The likelihood of your *average* American going to Europe is slim, and vice versa. 

COMIC SANS

One of the reasons US wont change to metric.

Ehh, the US converted to the metric for a lot of things but wont switch everything ever like the MPH (miles per hour) because thats a lot of cars that will have to be changes and a lot of people don't know how to convert. Medical, engineering, ect.. they do a lot in metric instead of standard. I love metric and is hell of a lot easier to learn than standard. 

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

Ehh, the US converted to the metric for a lot of things but wont switch everything ever like the MPH (miles per hour) because thats a lot of cars that will have to be changes and a lot of people don't know how to convert. Medical, engineering, ect.. they do a lot in metric instead of standard. I love metric and is hell of a lot easier to learn than standard. 

Yep. Next time you are in the doctor see if they have blood measured out by the cup...

I can vouch for engineering, we are pretty much exclusively metric everywhere I have dealt with.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

well its a UK standard as well. this is cos all the plugs are connected in a parallel circuit. Also the Australia plugs look like the face of a demented ghost from a horror movie...

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

we should have one internationnal plug, that's all. It's annoying to have this kind of difference between countries.

Imagine trying to convince the US to switch to 240V...

"But at 115 we're using less electricity!" "Yes, that's why it takes you 8 times the amount of time to do the same thing..."

Europe!

Over sized plugs that take up way too much space!

Imagine trying to convince the US to switch to 240V...

"But at 115 we're using less electricity!" "Yes, that's why it takes you 8 times the amount of time to do the same thing..."

Over sized plugs that take up way too much space!

No, we need a new concept that can be use internationaly, won any outage, anything. The future my Friends!!

"Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength" Arnold

Why doesn't America have on/off switches for wall plugs. Australia does...

plug.jpg

We have buy them separately

2akbqjq.jpg

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

we should have one internationnal plug, that's all. It's annoying to have this kind of difference between countries.

Different voltages, different plugs.

It's safer that way.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

2 pin plugs are only in old houses. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

It's quite stupid that we have US powerplugs for our computers, it's literally the only plug I know of that is meant for another country but forced upon other countries.

So many things I could write here... things like this.

It's quite stupid that we have US powerplugs for our computers, it's literally the only plug I know of that is meant for another country but forced upon other countries.

Waaaaa

b_adp_plug_ss409.jpg

What is this

web_psucable.jpg

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Waaaaa

b_adp_plug_ss409.jpg

What is this

web_psucable.jpg

I am saying that the power supplies always require an US cable.

If I didn't know these cables existed, how would I be typing this in the first place?

I am saying that the power supplies always require an US cable.

If I didn't know these cables existed, how would I be typing this in the first place?

They don't require us cables at all. they just come with them. The cable is swap-able after all. 

muh specs 

All parts black

They don't require us cables at all. they just come with them. The cable is swap-able after all. 

Whatever makes you happy man. <_<

Whatever makes you happy man. <_<

I have a bin of these cables. They are cheap. I'm sure most in the UK have a pile of UK ones. 

muh specs 

All parts black

well this whole international standard thing is annoying have to carry a ton of UK to 2-pin adapters when going on holiday: at least 5 lol:

Mum's HTC Wildfire S

Dad's Galaxy S5

My Xperia SP

My iPad 3 ( yeah 30 pin is still the best lol)

Mum's Kindle

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro