Sony Gives Up on Low-End Smartphone Market..

Calm yer titties down , it's just a rumor..

9.jpg

Sony continues to struggle in the smartphone market, and plans to drop its low-end smartphone offerings in China, Central America, South America, and additional select emerging markets. Looking ahead, Sony wants to focus on high-end devices sold in the United States, Japan and Europe, according to the unnamed sources.

Sales have been sluggish due to the rapid growth of cheap products from Chinese manufacturers, prompting Sony to lower its target to 43 million units in July. The current recalibration will likely include shaving an additional several million units off the global sales target, perhaps putting it below 40 million

sorry for the huge images..:/ cannot resize

e5cf7b29c87ca29a97d7f4e061afe80d.jpg?AWS

The Japanese company might cut its smartphone sales target again in 2014, with a Q2 earnings call scheduled for October 31. The company previously said it hoped to sell 50 million smartphones throughout the year, but that figure was cut to 43 million in July.

Through its ongoing structural reform, in which Sony has stopped making personal computers and spun off its television business, “We are finally seeing a path back to profitability in our electronics sector,” a senior executive said.

A return to the black apparently hinges on whether Sony can sell more high-priced smartphones in Japan, the United States and Europe

26a4ba7e80286195eecae21e4b176c88.jpg?AWS

Sony will lay off several hundred workers as part of halting sales of low-priced devices in China, the sources said. The firm will continue selling high-end devices through China Mobile Communications Corp., the nation’s largest mobile carrier, and others. Sony is considering similar measures to improve profits in other nations where Chinese makers have large market shares, such as Brazil and Argentina.

Sony has made its mobile sector, which is built around smartphones, a key business that is vital to its management reform. Operating profits for the mobile sector in the fiscal year ending in March 2015 are expected to be negative, after logging a ¥12.6 billion profit the previous fiscal year.

The technology world has evolved at a rapid pace, and Sony has largely been unable to keep pace with rivals. Huawei, Lenovo and Xiaomi all surpassed Sony device sales, as the cheaper Chinese rivals provide cheaper phones that have risen in popularity.

Post your comments down beloooooooowww

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/40748/sony-bows-out-of-low-end-smartphone-market-as-restructuring-continues/index.html

http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0001661340

Details separate people.

Doesn't shock me

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Good. We have samsung for that.

For low end phones? Samsungs low end phones are TERRIBLE. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Finally Sony !

They have so many phones its stupid. If they stick with Z line and Z compact, thats all they need.

Its good to have options but no need for 3 low-end, 2 mid range and one flagship from each smartphone manufacturer. It would only make sense if there was one or two competitors, not (4-6).

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Hm. They look best in my eyes. My father bought some samsung smartphone i think galaxy young duos and it's surprisingly good.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

they are bit pricy vs competition

moto and huawei pretty much dominates the low cost market

the specs they offer at the price is much better than anything else ive seen

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Now if only they could give up on the console market and move their gaming division to PC only.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

i think he was trying to say the Galaxy and Note series are poop

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I thought Sony's mobile division was doing fairly well? I guess i was wrong.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

Hm. They look best in my eyes. My father bought some samsung smartphone i think galaxy young duos and it's surprisingly good.

huawei has much better products in the same price range, they sell quad cores with ips 720p screens at the price of samsung dual cores with tn screens.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Yeah, he probably made a mistake. You can go to radishack right now and buy a boost mobile moto g for 80 bucks and have it perform better than a galaxy s3 in every way except camera. You are talking about the flagship samsung device from two years ago vs a mid range motorola phone from last year and it's better for 1/3 the cost. Samsung has always made overprice phones but the lower you go on their spectrum the worse it is. The moto g will wipe the floor with the galaxy y dous. The lowest end moto phone, the moto e would for that matter which you can pick up for 50 bucks. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Yeah, he probably made a mistake. You can go to radishack right now and buy a boost mobile moto g for 80 bucks and have it perform better than a galaxy s3 in every way except camera. You are talking about the flagship samsung device from two years ago vs a mid range motorola phone from last year and it's better for 1/3 the cost. Samsung has always made overprice phones but the lower you go on their spectrum the worse it is. The moto g will wipe the floor with the galaxy y dous. The lowest end moto phone, the moto e would for that matter which you can pick up for 50 bucks. 

s3 and moto g are mid range not very low end.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

When did they cut their tv divison? Sony tv's are some of the best out there, when it comes to price to image quality. I love my KDL48W605B, which also scored really good in reviews. And is considered to be the best budget 48 inch tv out there.

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

s3 and moto g are mid range not very low end.

Exactly my point. But you know which one costs 300 and which one costs 80 at my radio shack here? Moto g might not have low end specs but it's got about a low end price as you can get before getting into the obscure off brand phones. 

Better for them to stop selling the crappy low-end phones imo... Those things are terrible... Sony would be better suited for the mid-high and high-end parts of the market...

Now if only they could give up on the console market and move their gaming division to PC only.

Sony is betting on cloud gaming for the future. And I imagine they will make that service available for all platforms in the future including PC. Too bad cloud gaming is not going to be realistically viable in the near century or so.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Meh, even low end I wouldn't buy Sony, I just have a small part of me hating them since most of the sony products I use suck

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

Ohh no, the Chinese are taking over.   

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

I have the Z2 and I have to admit, I regret it sooooo much.

Terrible phone.  USB covers have snapped off, phone will go spastic every now and again like I'm smashing buttons all over the place when I'm just holding it and looking at the screen, and the features are overhyped to only cause disappointment.

I bought it because I wanted an alternative to Apple in terms of durability (haha) but not plasticy like the Samsungs are these days.  Don't comment back to me about how the Sammy's aren't plasticky... yes... yes they are.  They are the most plastic crap I've ever held.

CPU: i7 4770K 4.2Ghz, Mobo: Asrock Fatal1ty Z97x Killer, GFX: EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC ACX (x2 SLI), RAM: G.Skill 1600Mhz CAS 9 16GB, DSK Intel 530 120GB OS, Crucial M500 120GB, WD 1TB Blue, WD 1TB Green, PSU: Corsair AX1200i, Case: Obsidian 750D. 

SERVER HP ProLiant Microserver N54L, FreeNAS: ZFS, 8TB (4x 2TB WD Red), RAID Z2, 16GB ECC RAM, 1Gb/s Link Aggregated:  Running as NAS, Plex, & ownCloud

I'm not so sure this is a good idea. I prefer Motorola's strategy to only have like 2-3 devices. Sony should make one really good low end device, one really good high end device (around 5" or maybe even slightly less) one phablet and maybe one tablet.

Then they got the whole market covered, can do yearly revisions and get a lot of coverage (one new product released like every 4 months) in the media and they can focus on keeping all their products up to date and good design wise.

I bought it because I wanted an alternative to Apple in terms of durability (haha) but not plasticy like the Samsungs are these days.  Don't comment back to me about how the Sammy's aren't plasticky... yes... yes they are.  They are the most plastic crap I've ever held.

And plastic is arguably the best material to make a phone out of. I have no idea why people hate it so much. I don't like the feeling of the glossy plastic Samsung uses but it's functionality over "it feels premium".

I think people are too obsessed with how much it feels like their device costs and not obsessed enough with what practical implications it has.