Sharp 14inch and 15inch 4K monitors

GoodBytes

I think 4k is an exaggeration,that's 3k lol.

still awesome how mobile devices are getting 3K panels,hope the cost isn't insane.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

you would have to squint to see size 72 font on that XD

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Sharp shows off 14 and 15.6-inch 4K (3200x1800) IGZO panels.

sharp-igzo-qhd-plus.jpg

No info on price and availibility outside of Japan. Japan on June 28th.

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/05/sharp-3200-1800-igzo/

I'm finding 100-140 PPI is enough for monitors, I'll pass until they are forced on me. 

Main Rig: i5 760 @ 4.0GHZ Asus p7p55d-e, 8GB Corsair Vengance @ 1600 Mhz. Samsung BX2231 X 3 (5760x1080)

EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked +150/+500, 128GB Crucial M4, 1TB WD Black

Xonar DX, AudioEngine A2, Astro Mixamp, AudioTechnica ath-m50 & ath-ad700

Wow talk about a high ppi rating.  :o

I know right? This is actually pretty ballin'

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

That's pretty cool.... Now make an 8K monitor.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

That's not a 4K resolution that's qHD+. Still a very good PPI number for a desktop monitor, I only hope Microsoft optimizes Windows for small high res displays.

I'm finding 100-140 PPI is enough for monitors, I'll pass until they are forced on me. 

I don't agree with that, once 4K becomes a desktop standard everything will get better optimized for such a high PPI.

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

I don't agree with that, once 4K becomes a desktop standard everything will get better optimized for such a high PPI.

Why not keep the PPI and just have bigger monitors?

Main Rig: i5 760 @ 4.0GHZ Asus p7p55d-e, 8GB Corsair Vengance @ 1600 Mhz. Samsung BX2231 X 3 (5760x1080)

Why not keep the PPI and just have bigger monitors?

I'm not sure how it is with you, but I want my monitor close to me so the 27" one I have right now is already almost too big, so to keep the form factor but still increase resolution we need higher PPI.

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

you would have to squint to see size 72 font on that XD

Methinks a system setting would certainly require a change, there!

Issues will crop up in apps that don't recognise that setting, though.

I'm not sure how it is with you, but I want my monitor close to me so the 27" one I have right now is already almost too big, so to keep the form factor but still increase resolution we need higher PPI.

Incorrect we don't need more PPI. Text would just take up more pixels / real estate, keep the PPI nominally the same you are able to actually increase the real estate and increase productivity. 

I do not see the point oh that sort of res on such a small screen other than as a technical exercise. 

Maybe one of the next big questions will be instead of at what point does FPS not matter, but instead, at what point does resolution not matter?

I can absolutely see a need for 4k HD on large TVs and even on 27"+ monitors to maintain sharpness especially in workstation scenarios. Gaming 4k displays could result in incredibly smooth graphics and no need for . But 14"? what do you need that many pixels for on such a tiny little screen? portable 4k tablet/bluray player?

Just my thought, there must be a market for them if they're being produced.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

Incorrect we don't need more PPI. Text would just take up more pixels / real estate, keep the PPI nominally the same you are able to actually increase the real estate and increase productivity. 

It makes text look sharper, I think that is a huge feature.

The retina display is a good example, because it also doubled the pixel density of the older iphones and they didn't do it to get more realestate, but to make text and everything else look sharper:

iPhone-5S-iPhone-6-K%C3%BCnftig-nur-noch

The pixel density increase when going from a 27" 1080p display to a 27"4K display will be a doubling in ppi as well so this is a perfect example.

EDIT: by increasing the ppi you decrease the size text has to be to be readable and therefore increase the screen realestate if you don't care for sharper text.

#KILLEDMYWIFE

You've got to look at how the software uses the extra pixel real estate, though. The iPhone was designed with a high PPI screen in mind, so all the icons and content have been scaled up to be higher resolution - and the way apps are executed means the image rendered re-scales based on the app's design. Windows is not like that; whilst the OS itself has a setting to allow the UI to scale in such a way, individual applications do not necessarily use this setting - and just look really small with high resolutions.

It makes text look sharper, I think that is a huge feature.

The retina display is a good example, because it also doubled the pixel density of the older iphones and they didn't do it to get more realestate, but to make text and everything else look sharper:

iPhone-5S-iPhone-6-K%C3%BCnftig-nur-noch

The pixel density increase when going from a 27" 1080p display to a 27"4K display will be a doubling in ppi as well so this is a perfect example.

EDIT: by increasing the ppi you decrease the size text has to be to be readable and therefore increase the screen realestate if you don't care for sharper text.

Using an example that uses a spy glass to zoom in on text, that if you had in your hand would be unreadable. Thus the text was too small in the first place. I hate to burst you bubble but your point isn't very good. If not completely moot.

Please try this for yourself, go to the new york times on your phone, navigate to the desktop version of the site, and try and read anything. As long as your not on a phablet. 

The only reason to increase resolution on small form factors is to increase the sharpness and clarity of media formats like video and games, even then you reach a point that is negligible to the human eye at a point just like refresh rates. 

On a side note trying to consume 4k content on a 13.3 - 15inch laptop considering the bandwidth, power, and space needed to use this content, is just silly if not just a waste. 

Lol 4k...Its the same size as my GS4 screen... :P

Had to edit cause wasn't good enough for the eye expert.. Lmao

Actually the human eye can detect quite alot..The US navy did a study on pilots by running 200 frames a second of the same picture except for 1 frame which was different..And the pilot could tell what that 1 frame was out of the other 199..In 1 secondSo basically he could see 200fps..

No, basically he could see a crisper image due to temporal aliasing or severe contrast. 

Not to mention when using "studies" you should be citing your source or your just kind of talking. 

Refresh rates DO hit diminishing returns relatively quickly after 60 HZ, not to say you can't tell the difference in 60hz, 120hz, 200hz etc.

But I also didn't mention any specific refresh rates so ..... thanks for the tangent. 

"A lot" is not quantifiable data.

BBC High Frame Rate Study

k thnx

Actually the human eye can detect quite alot..The US navy did a study on pilots by running 200 frames a second of the same picture except for 1 frame which was different..And the pilot could tell what that 1 frame was out of the other 199..In 1 second.So basically he could see 200fps..Now i know we are not pilots but it makes you think the whole no one can see more the 60fps is kinda BS..

Because the human eye doesn't see in terms of FPS like we think of. 

Evolution wise we would benefit from our brain being able to notice a sudden change in what we are seeing even if its only for a flicker of a frame in a movie.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Yup, and even if we can't see it.. like we can't identify it, assuming we care, we can feel something is wrong.. like a frame is different than other, even taught we can't identify it.

We have a kick-ass brain and eyes... thank you Mr. Brain and Mr. Eyes you are awesome... then again, its my brain that says this... so might be a bit bias. :P

Ill think about it when there's a graphics that can run games on it that doesn't cost a soul

Not nearly 4K, but this would be perfect for running 1600x900p on a 14" laptop display, as it's 4x the resolution and everything auto-scales perfectly.  Too bad it's too late for the ThinkPad T440   :(

We need to keep the same size monitors(21"-30") and just raise the resolution. It'll increase the screen real estate, plus I don't feel like sitting 10 feet away from my PC monitor.