Sharp 14inch and 15inch 4K monitors

GoodBytes

We need to keep the same size monitors(21"-30") and just raise the resolution. It'll increase the screen real estate, plus I don't feel like sitting 10 feet away from my PC monitor.

Yup, I agree w/ you. I actually prefer medium size monitors (about 21"-24") w/ great resolution rather than having a big screen right in front of your face. It usually gives me eyesore. 

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!
Super Budget Gaming Build: Intel Pentium G1610, Gigabye GA-H61M-DS2 rev. 3, Kingston Value RAM 4GB CL9 1333MHz, Fractal Design Core 1000, Corsair VS 450, WD 1TB, Powercolor Radeon HD 7750 1GB/GDDR5, (Optional: Asus DRW-24B1ST).
 (Total: $340 USD)

We need to keep the same size monitors(21"-30") and just raise the resolution. It'll increase the screen real estate, plus I don't feel like sitting 10 feet away from my PC monitor.

Yup, I agree w/ you. I actually prefer medium size monitors (about 21"-24") w/ great resolution rather than having a big screen right in front of your face. It usually gives me eyesore. 

Well since apparently no body actually reads anything but the heading topic I'll respond to this again.

Lets pretend the resolution is 4k for simple math.

If on your 1080 P monitor you require a size 12 font to read from 2.5 feet away, this size 12 font takes up X amount of PIxels.

If you increase the resolution of the same size monitor by a factor of 4 (4k), guess what happens to that font.

The amount of pixels X in that size 12 font has not changed. However in a 4k resolution you would percieve it as 1/4 as big 

thus to be readable you have to increase the size of that font by a factor of 4 taking up the same amount of actual space in relation to the size of you monitor as before. 

So YOU DO NOT GAIN REAL ESTATE, at least if you want to be productive. 

Here is even a little preview of what many of you apparently fail to realize, and this is on a 50 inch screen. 

and if you watch fairly often he is forced to smash his face up against the screen to read it on a 50 inch screen. 

Main Rig: i5 760 @ 4.0GHZ Asus p7p55d-e, 8GB Corsair Vengance @ 1600 Mhz. Samsung BX2231 X 3 (5760x1080)

EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked +150/+500, 128GB Crucial M4, 1TB WD Black

Xonar DX, AudioEngine A2, Astro Mixamp, AudioTechnica ath-m50 & ath-ad700

Well since apparently no body actually reads anything but the heading topic I'll respond to this again.

Lets pretend the resolution is 4k for simple math.

If on your 1080 P monitor you require a size 12 font to read from 2.5 feet away, this size 12 font takes up X amount of PIxels.

If you increase the resolution of the same size monitor by a factor of 4 (4k), guess what happens to that font.

The amount of pixels X in that size 12 font has not changed. However in a 4k resolution you would percieve it as 1/4 as big 

thus to be readable you have to increase the size of that font by a factor of 4 taking up the same amount of actual space in relation to the size of you monitor as before. 

So YOU DO NOT GAIN REAL ESTATE, at least if you want to be productive. 

Here is even a little preview of what many of you apparently fail to realize, and this is on a 50 inch screen. 

and if you watch fairly often he is forced to smash his face up against the screen to read it on a 50 inch screen.

You fail to realize that individual pixels are visible on 1080p monitors.

For me, 4K is all about having smaller pixels and therefore a sharper image.

Also, just because text is smaller, doesn't mean it is harder to read, at least with good eyesight.

The only thing that makes small text hard to read on 1080p monitors is the low ppi, with double the ppi small text will be far easier to read.

I went thru such a change when i went from my 2nd gen ipod touch to my 4th gen ipod touch: same screen size, double the ppi.

4K can be all about screen realestate increase if you set your PC up to be so. But If you just want a sharper image, 4K is a big change in the right direction.

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

You fail to realize that individual pixels are visible on 1080p monitors.

For me, 4K is all about having smaller pixels and therefore a sharper image.

Also, just because text is smaller, doesn't mean it is harder to read, at least with good eyesight.

The only thing that makes small text hard to read on 1080p monitors is the low ppi, with double the ppi small text will be far easier to read.

I went thru such a change when i went from my 2nd gen ipod touch to my 4th gen ipod touch: same screen size, double the ppi.

4K can be all about screen realestate increase if you set your PC up to be so. But If you just want a sharper image, 4K is a big change in the right direction.

Well I sure am glad you have all this experience with 2nd and 4th gen iPod touch so you can educate us on the woes of 4k. :|

Main Rig: i5 760 @ 4.0GHZ Asus p7p55d-e, 8GB Corsair Vengance @ 1600 Mhz. Samsung BX2231 X 3 (5760x1080)

EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked +150/+500, 128GB Crucial M4, 1TB WD Black

Xonar DX, AudioEngine A2, Astro Mixamp, AudioTechnica ath-m50 & ath-ad700

Well I sure am glad you have all this experience with 2nd and 4th gen iPod touch so you can educate us on the woes of 4k. :|

the change in PPI is the same so it is a great example.

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

-snip-

It does increase screen real-estate. You can't say a 50" TV will have the same negative outcomes to a 24" monitor. I suffer the same thing on my 1080p TV that is 34", I can't read text unless I am right in front of it if I use it as a monitor.

I am reading and I have had personal experience with this, I refuse to have a huge "monitor". I want a 24" version otherwise I am not going to buy a 4K monitor, I will buy a 4K TV, but that won't be affordable until 5-10 years from now anyway.

I don't think I'll ever be able to go back from a 27" monitor now that I've owned one.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Incorrect we don't need more PPI. Text would just take up more pixels / real estate, keep the PPI nominally the same you are able to actually increase the real estate and increase productivity. 

"Incorrect". In Windows, if you increase the resolution, the text uses the same number of pixels and is therefore smaller. So to utilise 4k to it's max, you need a slightly bigger display with a higher PPI. For example, the 32" 4k screen that ASUS have announced, is probably the perfect balance. I personally use 3 x 1080P screens at 3240x1920. It's a good resolution and a good size. It's made up of 23" screens and the "total screen size" is around 43". It's a little big, but to be honest, It's good due to the fact that the text is the same size as a 1080P 23" screen. If you just take a 1080P screen, make it bigger and change nothing else, the text would increase in size due to the bigger screen and you would have NO extra 'real estate' Just bigger pixels.