Flight attendants want to bring back gadget ban during takeoff and landing

Switch your mobiles back into flight mode folks..Because we're ready for take off..

in-flight-calls.jpg

Frequent travelers might be happy that the FAA now allows the use of phones during takeoff and landing, but the biggest union of flight attendants (60,000 strong) in the country sure isn't. The union's lawyer has just attempted to get the FAA's decision overturned in the Court of Appeals, arguing that the FAA should've followed standard procedure by notifying the public first and allowing people to comment before issuing any ruling.

lots of people have stopped paying attention to pre-flight safety demos and emergency announcements ever since the gadget ban was lifted

Problem started with the flight attendants being concerned, because people have stopped paying attention to pre-flight safety demos and emergency announcements ever since the gadget ban was lifted. They're worried about mobile devices turning into projectiles during turbulence, as well something which has already happened in at least one incident.

mobile_786254c.jpg

Flight attendants are worried about mobile devices turning into projectiles during turbulence.. (a fair statement)

FAA did ask for and receive public feedback (around a thousand responses) and argues that phones are no more dangerous than books flying around the cabin, lucky for us , the choice still remains with the companies , they have to 'make the final call' *ba dum tiss*

that the union would be alright with the compromise as  if the gadgets remains switched on during takeoff and landing, but they have to be stowed away or kept on pocket until the plane's safely up in the air..

BONUS: ( pre flight safety checks)

310952928.jpg

Leave your thoughts & definitely all the rants possible down below....

http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/11/flight-attendants-faa-gadget-ban-takeoff-landing/

Updates courtesy @snowComet : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232939-flight-attendants-union-challenges-faa-decision-allowing-passengers-to-use-electronics-in-all-phases-of-flight/

Details separate people.

Problem started with the flight attendants being concerned, because people have stopped paying attention to pre-flight safety demos and emergency announcements ever since the gadget ban was lifted. They're worried about mobile devices turning into projectiles during turbulence, as well something which has already happened in at least one incident.

This! It should be banned during take off, turbulance and landing. Simple as that. They are 100% correct to request this. We know people won't pay attention to something like safety demos unless you MAKE them. This might be an unpopular opinion but your average citizen is an idiot, proven again and again.

As long as I can use it after the plane has taken all I'm fine with the law coming back.

though not like I plan to fly anywhere anyways..

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

my only issue is with phones is that planes are noisy enough

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

People on the phones are annoying enough in open spaces, they'd drive me mad if it was in a plane. Seriously, your call can wait.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

People on the phones are annoying enough in open spaces, they'd drive me mad if it was in a plane. Seriously, your call can wait.

Calls are still prohibited. The FAA law says use of mobile phones and tablets is acceptable but must remain in the airplane mode.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

The old "reason" is that electronics interfere with the plane signal, totally not true.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Makes perfect sense to me. If you can't stay off your phone for 10 minutes to listen to things that might save your life, you shouldn't be able to use the fucking thing.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I though you weren't allow to use your gadget during takeoff and landing, i thought it was 10000 ft and above that you were allowed to use your gadget. Meanwhile i'm still waiting for TWA to come back.

This! It should be banned during take off, turbulance and landing. Simple as that. They are 100% correct to request this. We know people won't pay attention to something like safety demos unless you MAKE them. This might be an unpopular opinion but your average citizen is an idiot, proven again and again.

i do agree people sometimes tends to be idiotic, though i have only traveled 6 or 7 times on plane i know the safety precautions like the back of my hand by now

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Funny, because unions are irrelevant and need to die.

I dare someone to ask me why

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Calls are still prohibited. The FAA law says use of mobile phones and tablets is acceptable but must remain in the airplane mode.

Sorry you're right. After I posted it I remembered people don't use their phones for calls anymore :P

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

As someone who has a personal record of 12 flights in a single day, but usually a flight a week and on occasion a flight or 2 daily, the awesomeness of being able to use electronics during takeoff is just about the best thing ever. Usually I'm on the iPad doing crosswords, but reading and movie watching are common things I like to do gate to gate. I do listen to the safety demonstration, but since I'm on a first name basis with pretty much every flight attendant on my more common routes, I don't think they care.

You'll be interested to know this law only applies to domestic flights. International flights are still subject to the old law.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

i do agree people sometimes tends to be idiotic, though i have only traveled 6 or 7 times on plane i know the safety precautions like the back of my hand by now

I agree that there are plenty of people that fly on a weekly basis that know the safety so well that they could be instructing it, but that doesn't mean they should be talking on their phones, chatting etc. or distracting others in any other way. Just chill out for a bit, relax and wait for the demo to pass. :)

No one pays attention anyway, this is a pointless reason. The attendants will even joke 'please pretend to give your attention for 5 minutes.'

Unless you are actually a first time flier then everyone already knows the oxygen falls from above when pressure drops, that life jackets are under your cushion, try not to panic and use the nearest exit. If someone actually didn't know I'd think they could put down their phone for ten seconds and listen, and that's all they'd need for the rest of their flying life.

I don't like people talking on their phones EXTREMELY LOUDLY in the plane, I just don't want to have to turn my 3DS off anymore. Dangit unions just let this be.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

i didnt know the ban was lifted either way people need to know about the safety stuff, its for our own good anyways

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

yep, it may be repetitive but you got to make sure that people listen to the safety demo, 

Anyone think i adding a poll to this being a good idea? (leave your question & suggested answers quoting this post or Send me a PM)

Details separate people.

Kind of let down by all the agreement in wasting everyone’s time on a airplane

They definitely need major changes, but I'll ask you just out of interest.

Why?

Yes, while this is true fro safety reasons phones and other devices should be put away, if you want to go with that logic things like books, magazines, non mechanical children's toys, trays, cups, and anything with any sort of heft to it should also be forced to put away. And if you want to go that far lets go overboard. Since it's hard to predict turbulence, none of those things should ever be out ever on a plane. Also people need to not be allowed to leave their seat, they could trip and fall during turbulence. And they must be strapped down with 58 point harnesses. All of them.

Why? :P

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900X – Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi  – RAM: 4 x 16 GB G. Skill Trident Z @ 3200mhz- GPU: ASUS  Strix Geforce GTX 1080ti– Case: Phankteks Enthoo Pro M – Storage: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo, 1TB Intel 800p, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB & WD Blue 1 TB PSU: EVGA 1000P2– Display(s): ASUS PB238Q, AOC 4k, Korean 1440p 144hz Monitor - Cooling: NH-U12S, 2 gentle typhoons and 3 noiseblocker eloops – Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB Mouse: G502 Rgb & G Pro Wireless– Sound: Logitech z623 & AKG K240

Fuck that. If that plane goes down, I die. It's simple as that. I don't care about your "safety demo".

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.