Cable Broadband Speeds 'Beat' Fibre - UK

A report just came to light from Ofcom UK suggesting that Fibre is slower than cable. WTF?

The article from the BBC claims that the average cable speeds were 43.3 Mbps compared to 42Mbps for Fibre.

Apparently this number has changed because so many consumers have decided to swap from cable to fibre, having less load on the system.

Note: Virgin have stated "they too have used fibre to cabinets, then cable to homes."

From me, that 43.3Mbps is bull s**t. I struggle to get 18Mbps let alone 43.3Mbps.

All I can really say is, What the Hell? 

Yes, less people using traditional coper will lighten the load for others and too be fair, it't only a marginal lead, but still. *EDIT: I thought fibre would have been much further ahead of cable*

Full details of this report can be found here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29475570

Thanks for reading.

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

Damn! that's one HUGE difference right there... :mellow:

Details separate people.

I call massive BS. I get up to 76 down 20 up with BT Infinity (fibre) and some people near the town area can get double what I have. Where the fastest broadband you can get is about 30 down 10 up. Keep in mind that I don't even live in a big town.

20 down .9 up and can get infinity.....our internet is a joke really

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

I call massive BS. I get up to 76 down 20 up with BT Infinity (fibre) and some people near the town area can get double what I have. Where the fastest broadband you can get is about 30 down 10 up. Keep in mind that I don't even live in a big town.

i have the same as you its ace

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

I know. I'm not with Infinity yet, my BT plan needs renewal soon so I will upgrade, but I thought the leap between standards would have been much larger. I get around 18Mbps down (I pay for upto 16Mbps, shhh. and an un-specified up of around 0.9Mbps.) 

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

I can get 100Mbps over copper, still not 100% sure why anyone's bothering with FTTP. Surely it'd be better from a business perspective to save money by having copper as the "last mile" infrastructure between the property and the exchange, and spend the money instead on running fiber to more exchanges to enable faster speeds for more people. What's the reasoning behind running the fiber right to people's homes, especially since it requires new equipment and everything.

What I'm getting at is that at the moment fiber really is no faster than copper as far as the bandwidth you can get to your home as a consumer. Getting fiber to your house doesn't actually enable you to access faster speeds than you could potentially get over copper, it's the connection to your exchange that matters. As far as I can tell it's about future-proofing, and since the exchanges and other infrastructure are still the bottleneck this neck-and-neck relationship between copper and fiber is exactly what I would expect. For the time being, it is completely irrelevant whether your home connection is copper or fiber since you're not going to be able to get more than 100Mbps from your ISP anyway.

I can get 100Mbps over copper, still not 100% sure why anyone's bothering with FTTP. Surely it'd be better from a business perspective to save money by having copper as the "last mile" infrastructure between the property and the exchange, and spend the money instead on running fiber to more exchanges to enable faster speeds for more people. What's the reasoning behind running the fiber right to people's homes, especially since it requires new equipment and everything.

There are advantages with going pure Fiber. Having a Synchronous connection is one (Same upload as download), and lower latency. Additionally, Fiber supports MUCH HIGHER limits. 1Gbps Internet isn't gonna be done over Copper unless there are serious innovations in the coming years.

With that in mind, FTTN is 100% acceptable for consumer Internet at this point in time. I have a 150/15 DOCSIS 3.0 connection, which is FTTN and Coaxial Cable for the "last mile". It's fast and kickass. Sure I'd prefer GoogleFiber but hey you can't have everything.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Right so lets fix what Ofcom have said here.

Cable has been around for a lot long so it has had more time to develop as a technology, it makes sense that it is "faster" for now. In a few years time FTTC/FTTH will completely take over.

Once BT implements vectoring technology into existing fibre optic exchanges it will boost average download speeds into the hundreds. At the moment my download speed on FTTC is 80Mb, when vectoring kicks in I expect that to go even higher. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

What do ISPs do so wrong to only get ~42Mbps on fibre...jeez.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

There are advantages with going pure Fiber. Having a Synchronous connection is one (Same upload as download), and lower latency. Additionally, Fiber supports MUCH HIGHER limits. 1Gbps Internet isn't gonna be done over Copper unless there are serious innovations in the coming years.

With that in mind, FTTN is 100% acceptable for consumer Internet at this point in time. I have a 150/15 DOCSIS 3.0 connection, which is FTTN and Coaxial Cable for the "last mile". It's fast and kickass. Sure I'd prefer GoogleFiber but hey you can't have everything.

Synchronous connection is nice, but it's not something most people care about so again, from a business standpoint it's not exactly a priority. I too get FTTN and that's what I'm saying - just because you have FTTP doesn't automatically mean you're going to get faster speeds because we're still below the maximum bandwidth for copper as far as individual connections go - nobody gets >100Mbps really. I would expect the speeds of both cable and fiber to be almost exactly the same for this reason, and that is what we see.

Synchronous connection is nice, but it's not something most people care about so again, from a business standpoint it's not exactly a priority. I too get FTTN and that's what I'm saying - just because you have FTTP doesn't automatically mean you're going to get faster speeds because we're still below the maximum bandwidth for copper as far as individual connections go - nobody gets >100Mbps really. I would expect the speeds of both cable and fiber to be almost exactly the same for this reason, and that is what we see.

I agree with you, except I'm not sure what you mean by

"nobody gets >100Mbps really"

I have 150Mbps, and I damn well get it. Obviously not every site can support that kind of speed. It depends on the web server that I'm connecting to at any given moment. But I'm not in the UK so I don't know if your national infrastructure has some inherent limits in it?

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

just because the average is lower does not mean that fiber is slower. Its all at the isp's end to deliver the speed. Fiber is not as physically limited as copper is when it comes to data transfer rates.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I have 150Mbps, and I damn well get it. Obviously not every site can support that kind of speed. It depends on the web server that I'm connecting to at any given moment. But I'm not in the UK so I don't know if your national infrastructure has some inherent limits in it?

I meant more that it's incredibly rare. I've never heard of anything >120Mbps on a consumer line over here and nothing above 150 anywhere else in the West (though I appreciate some can get connections like yours).

just because the average is lower does not mean that fiber is slower. Its all at the isp's end to deliver the speed. Fiber is not as physically limited as copper is when it comes to data transfer rates.

The point is more that fiber's increased bandwidth is irrelevant if the speeds provided by the ISP are still lower than the maximum for copper. Since both copper and fiber can do 100Mbps, it is largely irrelevant at this point which one you have.

I meant more that it's incredibly rare. I've never heard of anything >120Mbps on a consumer line over here and nothing above 150 anywhere else in the West (though I appreciate some can get connections like yours).

True, here in Canada most people - even in cities, are still on 16Mbps DSL or ~24Mbps DOCSIS 2.0 Cable.

However, the major cities are rolling out 150, 250, and 500Mbps connections. The first two are FTTN, but I believe the 500Mbps connection is pure FTTH. With that in mind, using "Channel Bonding", there is "no theoretical maximum" for the number of channels used. Of course, there is the practical limit in how much speed the physical copper can take. You'd have to run multiple copper lines to overcome the physical limitation.

I'm guessing this "research" was conducted by someone invested with the cable cos. This is why I loathe any research that wasn't 3rd party. It'd be like government investigating itself.

True, here in Canada most people - even in cities, are still on 16Mbps DSL or ~24Mbps DOCSIS 2.0 Cable.

However, the major cities are rolling out 150, 250, and 500Mbps connections. The first two are FTTN, but I believe the 500Mbps connection is pure FTTH. With that in mind, using "Channel Bonding", there is "no theoretical maximum" for the number of channels used. Of course, there is the practical limit in how much speed the physical copper can take. You'd have to run multiple copper lines to overcome the physical limitation.

Man, the UK is falling behind I fear. When I'm King, I'll make this a priority.

Man, the UK is falling behind I fear. When I'm King, I'll make this a priority.

On average, your high speed is faster then ours though. Remember, Canada is huge... REALLY HUGE! So there are millions of us living in rural areas all over this huge landmass, and most of them only have dialup, or if they are very lucky, they have access to shitty Satellite or Shitty Fixed Wireless internet.

Just imagine if your entire country was the wilderness of Scotland xD

They cap cable off at 20mbps in UK. Anything above is marketed as the one and only savior fibre. 

Bullshit.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

They cap cable off at 20mbps in UK. Anything above is marketed as the one and only savior fibre. 

"Marketed", being the key word there. But it's not true Fiber. In most cases, you're getting FTTN (Fiber to the Node), with Cable or DSL going "the last mile". Not always the case, and I'm not sure about adoption rates of VDSL and DOCSIS 3.0 compared to North America, but I'd be very surprised.

On average, your high speed is faster then ours though. Remember, Canada is huge... REALLY HUGE! So there are millions of us living in rural areas all over this huge landmass, and most of them only have dialup, or if they are very lucky, they have access to shitty Satellite or Shitty Fixed Wireless internet.

Just imagine if your entire country was the wilderness of Scotland xD

Yeah, the land is so cheap though. I'd buy a load, move out there and build a house if not for the internet troubles that come with doing that.

100Mbps connection is $8/month here...

Gigabit is $18/month.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case.