Cable Broadband Speeds 'Beat' Fibre - UK

In this particular context, I actually beg to differ. Coaxial Cable is still a copper core. In this case, anyone specifically referring to DSL/Dial-up will use Copper Pairs. "Traditional Copper", or "Copper" used in a generic sense is a perfectly acceptable term for both.

I don't mean to start an argument, but while both technically have copper in them, if anyone in the telcom industry says copper they mean copper pairs. Especially if you say traditional copper.

Coaxial cables are not always copper as well, copper clad aluminum is common, and while rare (and stupid) there are even all aluminum coaxial cables.

Seeing these speeds justs reminds me of the irking fact that 20 mbps over here can only be had for about 125 dollars (estimate) per month on fibr.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

The key words being used AVERAGE. Average, Average, Average. Geez people. You may get higher than the average speed or you may get lower. 

Below is my speed which only because available to me a few months back. I live in the Countryside (Lake District) and not a big city.

3810349629.png

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

If considering the properties of cable vs fibre, fibre wins. ISP's just need to sort things out on their end. So, the article shouldn't read "Cable Beats Fibre", it should read "ISP's Making a Mess of Fibre". Either way, I don't believe that 40Mb/s is the right figure, so the whole thing is doubtful. Hopefully, there will be changes in the future, so there is no reason to discourage people from laying fibre infrastructure, which could potentially push faster internet.

Paragon [ Intel i7 4770k @ 4.2GHz | 16GB @ 1866MHz Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 | ASUS Z87-Pro | Zotac AMP GTX 1080 Ti | Corsair H100i GTX | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD | 2 x Crucial M500 240GB SSDs | Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD | EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G2 | Corsair Carbide 300R ] (Backup Storage: Seagate Expansion 5TB USB3.0 HDD)

ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q }

I get  110/25 for $50 a month through cable RCN

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles

100Mbps connection is $8/month here...

Gigabit is $18/month.

>romania

>internet

Lies are all I see.

Personal responsibility, personal responsibility, personal responsibility, personal responsibility, personal responsibility, personal responsibility, personal responsibility, personal responsibility, personal responsibility.

>romania

>internet

Lies are all I see.

What?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

keep in mind you still get what you pay for... you could get 43.3 Mbps on cable because that's what you pay for.... or you could get 42Mbps on Fiber.... because you guessed it, that's what you pay for. Here, if I wanted I could pay for the 250Mbps Fiber connection if I really wanted it. Nothing provides the same or anywhere close to the same upload speeds as Fiber btw. Also latency is much better with less attenuation than on copper. Also if a company claims to provide fiber optic lines, they dont always provide it directly to your house. The one in my area however has a fiber line straight to the box in my house :D

Processor: AMD FX8320 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO 2.0 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz

Graphics: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair Carbine 500R Drives: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD & Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD

Anyone know any european companies that can make a private domestic fiber network in my residence? Pls let me know.

Personal responsibility, personal responsibility, personal responsibility, personal responsibility, personal responsibility, personal responsibility, personal responsibility, personal responsibility, personal responsibility.

Where is that happening?

In Canada we almost solely use cable for the last mile and I've never heard of that before.

EDIT: just thought I'd add this, if a company has oversold their available bandwidth, they've oversold their bandwidth. It doesn't matter if it's fiber, cable, DSL or dialup.

Not true, depends where in Canada. Canada is a big place ;)

Bell Aliant in NS offers Fibre-OP right to your fiber modem ;) from there it switches to Ethernet cables of course. It's my guess that Bell does this for Bell Canada as well.

BTW: http://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/canada

Processor: AMD FX8320 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO 2.0 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz

Graphics: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair Carbine 500R Drives: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD & Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD

Anyone know any european companies that can make a private domestic fiber network in my residence? Pls let me know.

Is there a reason why you want a fiber LAN?

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Bell Aliant in NS offers Fibre-OP right to your fiber modem ;) from there it switches to Ethernet cables of course. It's my guess that Bell does this for Bell Canada as well.

BTW: http://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/canada

That's right, but FTTP is pretty rare in Canada. If you're in a city you're most likely to get cable, and if you're in the country side you're more likely for a dsl or some form of radio based connection.

Bell (atleast in cities) does as Rogers and does FTTN than cable to the premise.

Also, Ookla's data says it's near to 24Mb/s.

http://www.netindex.com/download/2,7/Canada/

;)

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

BTW: http://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/canada

While you are correct in that some areas are getting FTTH, I think his statement, as a generalization of Canada's ISP infrastructure, is still accurate. Even in the heart of Ontario, Bell and Rogers do very few FTTH installs. In Bell's case, almost every package they label as "Fiber" is actually VDSL, which is FTTN, with copper pairs for the last mile.

Not saying you're wrong of course :P But neither is he technically either.

And Eff you with your Bell-Aliant being less douchey then "mainland" Bell! :P

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

While you are correct in that some areas are getting FTTH, I think his statement, as a generalization of Canada's ISP infrastructure, is still accurate. Even in the heart of Ontario, Bell and Rogers do very few FTTH installs. In Bell's case, almost every package they label as "Fiber" is actually VDSL, which is FTTN, with copper pairs for the last mile.

Not saying you're wrong of course :P But neither is he technically either.

And Eff you with your Bell-Aliant being less douchey then "mainland" Bell! :P

yeah sadly I can't get it at my apartment because of that fact.... the building owners don't want them to rewire the building for fiber. So there's a downside :P

The only other company to offer internet in my area is Eastlink and they advertise as cable internet but it's actually FTTN then copper to the home (I believe, haven't found any proof but the salesmen claim that)

yeah sadly I can't get it at my apartment because of that fact.... the building owners don't want them to rewire the building for fiber. So there's a downside :P

The only other company to offer internet in my area is Eastlink and they advertise as cable internet but it's actually FTTN then copper to the home (I believe, haven't found any proof but the salesmen claim that)

Advertising as Cable Internet is technically correct, since DOCSIS 3.x Cable Internet (As well as VDSL) are both FTTN. As an ISP, you can't provide a DOCSIS 3.x connection without FTTN because it's necessary for the required bandwidth.

But speaking personally, FTTN can be quite good. Obviously not as good as Fiber, your latency won't be as low, but it's still as good (Generally lower even) as traditional copper internet. But I'm running 150/15 Mbps FTTN over DOCSIS 3.0 and it's FAST. My latency is pretty good too, though I don't do much multiplayer gaming anymore, so latency and ping aren't as important for regular browsing or streaming.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

and here i am in the corner, still using 350Kb/s as the fastest possible speed for my location...

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

Is there a reason why you want a fiber LAN?

My country is pretty awful and we have almost no fiber coverage, and even the fiber we have is not pure fiber in most cases, they're usually crappy fiber/copper mixups in certain occasions. 

My current speeds are of 3mbps and I live 3 minutes away from the center of my city, which is the country's 3rd largest and most populated.

I can probably afford it, so I'd figure to get some knowledge about this and ponder on spending some money on the QoL that would be a fiber LAN.

Doesnt America class Broadband as like 0.5mbps? or something silly like that

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

My country is pretty awful and we have almost no fiber coverage, and even the fiber we have is not pure fiber in most cases, they're usually crappy fiber/copper mixups in certain occasions. 

My current speeds are of 3mbps and I live 3 minutes away from the center of my city, which is the country's 3rd largest and most populated.

I can probably afford it, so I'd figure to get some knowledge about this and ponder on spending some money on the QoL that would be a fiber LAN.

It sounded like you meant you wanted your LAN (local - as in running from router to your computers) to be fiber. For the record, it would be extremely impractical, expensive, and a huge PITA. Fiber connectors are extraordinarily picky, unplug it for even a second and there is a good chance it will be too dirty to carry a good connection until you clean and scope it.