My school is putting metal plates into the walls

Firearm2112

remove the teacher so that he can't discriminate.

He or she, musn't favour one sex over another.  :P

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Meh, I couldn't get connection in my old school anyway. Damn it 3! Why must you save me money but at the same time have terrible coverage?

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Surely telling students not to use their phones in class and would be far more cost efficient?

Yeah cos' school students/young adults (whatever the PC term is these days) are known for doing what they are told, like; do homework' don't talk, don't run in corridors, etc.

IDK about your school but the one my son went to had a no-phones on the premises (subsequently changed after a while to a much more realistic no-use of phones during class time) policy .  According to my son that was pretty routinely circumvented.

"This too shall pass"

Oh if I was a parent, I would so sue the school system for this, its a safety hazard, they are effectively cutting you off from your children via cell phone contact, which could be argued to be an endangerment.

Why would that be a problem?

Aren't schools deemed to be in loco parentis during school hours whilst the pupil is at school?

<Mode Right wing old duffer>

Too much suing thesedays.

</Mode>

"This too shall pass"

Aren't schools deemed to be in loco parentis during school hours whilst the pupil is at school?

</Mode>

Modern education in the UK. It's always  the school's fault. Everything, everywhere.

It's a result of too many people smoking weed and as a result, being too stoned to raise their children properly.

Then, when the little shits kick off it's the school's fault for not providing for their precious little babies.

He or she, musn't favour one sex over another.  :P

hah, good one.

</Mode>

it is a legitimate safety hazard, they can't contact the police/ambulance call for help, nothing. They are essentially cut off from all outside help, treated like prisoners. "I remember the early days when we didn't have cellphones at all!" well yeah... maybe, but now we do, and this is abit crazy...

you are dying you say? no problem! let me just leave you alone for abit, il throw myself out the window and call for help, i'l tell them to pick me up while i'm at it..

I like this idea. Now not only can the teachers teach without students fiddling with there cellphones but the school also seconds as a bomb shelter, innovative thinking going on at that school.

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

You all sound like James Comey complaining about google and apple encrypting data saying that it will prevent them from finding lost children. Before the advent of Cell phones the FBI somehow managed, guess what, your teachers and you will somehow manage in the case of an emergency like you would have with out cell phones fifteen years ago, it will just be a little less convenient.

it is a legitimate safety hazard, they can't contact the police/ambulance call for help, nothing. They are essentially cut off from all outside help,

1904tydzkpp7xjpg.jpg

No they aren't . What happened to the teacher (or a pupil she[or he] trusts) going along to 'the school office' and using the landline?

"This too shall pass"

1904tydzkpp7xjpg.jpg

No they aren't . What happened to the teacher (or a pupil she[or he] trusts) going along to 'the school office' and using the landline?

Go all the way to the office? Isn't is common having a landline in each of the classrooms?

Go all the way to the office? Isn't is common having a landline in each of the classrooms?

No idea about now, there wasn't when I was at school, but I haven't been a school pupil for 34 years (and I didn't notice at my eldest son's parents evenings that sort of thing). Youngest son went to a special school were the teachers all had alarms around there necks and there was a landline in every room but that (I think) was very unusual as was the teaching ratio; between teachers, teachers assistants, carers etc and with pupils being off or away for hospital appointments, in my son's class there were often six adults to four pupils,very definitely not usual.

"This too shall pass"

</Mode>

While I agree with you that there is too much suing these days, I for one would not feel comfortable leaving my child at a school (if I had one) knowing that I had to go through the school to contact that child directly. I would want direct contact with my child at all times.

While yes, as a parent, all you have to do is call or go up there and they have to let you see the child, I would still prefer direct communication as opposed to having to go through the school.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

my school has cell jammers in the ceilings of the hallways, i only get signal when im in the auto shop.... outside the garage. 

Are school has those too, about 3-5 per hallway, of course this year my locker is pretty much right next to them, which would explain my Moto X going from 100% to 24% pretty consistently and my GS3 going from 100% to 0% (That thing had battery issues already though)

They're on the ceiling they say Cisco on them and they're white and skinny/long, It's either a jammer or a Wifi repeater.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

Signal jammers are illegal in the UK.

Well thats odd because ive been to a few schools, and colleges which talk about jammers openly.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

In other news, a school's wifi recently stopped working and now nobody can figure out why it stopped working.

I can imaging the poor IT dude trying to explain why its stupid and that he will now have to put wifi access points in every single room.

Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate Wants you! Join now!

UOLTT Basop | Misc Freelancer & Origin M50

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

-Groucho Marx

I for one would not feel comfortable leaving my child at a school (if I had one) knowing that I had to go through the school to contact that child directly. I would want direct contact with my child at all times.

The only time I ever wanted contact with my eldest it didn't bother me one iota that I had to go through the (at that time he was at Primary) school (had to tell him to go next door as I wouldn't be at home when he finished school) .

But everyone is different, if it would bother you that your child couldn't phone you at work to tell you he/she didn't want fishfingers for tea (anything more serious than that the school would [should] know about and allow contact), whilst in class (remember breaktimes Lunch time etc is usually spent in the playground NOT a classroom), so be it.

"This too shall pass"

The only time I ever wanted contact with my eldest it didn't bother me one iota that I had to go through the (at that time he was at Primary) school (had to tell him to go next door as I wouldn't be at home when he finished school) .

But everyone is different, if it would bother you that your child couldn't phone you at work to tell you he/she didn't want fishfingers for tea (anything more serious than that the school would [should] know about and allow contact), whilst in class (remember breaktimes Lunch time etc is usually spent in the playground NOT a classroom), so be it.

Eh, I would just want to be able to contact them in case of an emergency.

That being said, I don't want kids lol.

cyberbullying-solution.jpg

What if most people can't change their laptop into a different one? :(

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

I would just want to be able to contact them in case of an emergency.

In what way would contacting the child directly be any better, in an emergency, than contacting them via the school?

If it's an emergency wouldn't the school organise, transport[1], the day off WHY?

In which case the school would HAVE to know.

[1] I remember once feeling so unwell that it was decided I should go home.  A teacher (must have been on a break or something) gave me a lift home and ensured I was in the house before they left.

"This too shall pass"

What if most people can't change their laptop into a different one? :(

It's not saying change your laptop (to ASUS) it's saying just close (i.e swich off the internet) the laptop

"This too shall pass"

It's not saying change your laptop (to ASUS) it's saying just close (i.e swich off the internet) the laptop

I know I was joking  :P

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

In what way would contacting the child directly be any better, in an emergency, than contacting them via the school?

If it's an emergency wouldn't the school organise, transport[1], the day off WHY?

In which case the school would HAVE to know.

[1] I remember once feeling so unwell that it was decided I should go home.  A teacher (must have been on a break or something) gave me a lift home and ensured I was in the house before they left.

I've actually been there before. My dad couldn't pick me up for some reason, and I had missed the bus (the school hadn't relayed his message to me until after the bus's had left for some reason) and I got a lift home from the very attractive english teacher. That right there is why. Direct communication is better than a proxy because the proxy might be a lazy ass administrator from michigan (or was in my case) that forgets to do their job until it's too late.

Cyber bullying only really gets bad if people post bad rumors about you or revealing information onto the internet.

This just stops people from sitting in locker rooms texting O.o , Why?!

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

that must be pretty thick steel to stop signals

Its all about those volumetric clouds

No idea about now, there wasn't when I was at school, but I haven't been a school pupil for 34 years (and I didn't notice at my eldest son's parents evenings that sort of thing). Youngest son went to a special school were the teachers all had alarms around there necks and there was a landline in every room but that (I think) was very unusual as was the teaching ratio; between teachers, teachers assistants, carers etc and with pupils being off or away for hospital appointments, in my son's class there were often six adults to four pupils,very definitely not usual.

only found in specific places like the office and whatnot, not each classroom, probably depends on the school itself but i am willing to bet that a school with a landline phone in each classroom is an exceptional minority, so much that might not even find one.

in a practical sense it won't be an issue in 99,95% of the cases. But that's not really the issue, it's a matter of principle.