Corsair 900D Unforgiven - The Metallica Build

I needed that after seeing you polishing all that Copper. alpenwasser !  Thanks guys, This is a great forum, everyone is so supportive.  B)

Yeah, sometimes you just can't go to sleep without having polished some copper, if

you know what I mean... ;)

The master complimenting his disciples :D

Well, if you say so *blushes*

yes that's true! I worship at the alter of the alpenwasser.

Haha, well then I shall sacrifice some copper tubing at your altar tonight. :D

•Ja, må han leva uti hundrade år!

Ha, I got that, even before entering it into the translator (although I wasn't entirely sure,

since I had to guess and deduce from German and English)!

In any case: Thanks, you too!

I already had a copper addiction before we met, but I do really respect his work!

Well thank you, the feeling is entirely mutual. :)

Ok then, enough with the touchy-feely stuff for today, let's do some metal work! :D

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

I bought some 2000 grit today to start smoothing out my window frame some more. The thing looks like a mirror, but I can still see some swirl marks when looking at the right angles.  I use a long sanding block, But I might have to switch to your random orbital.  It's pretty much impossible to sand in the same direction on all four sides, so I get cross grain in the corners.  I think I originaly only went to 1500 grit before polishing, so I go 2000 and then 3000 if necessary. then after I've spent $50.00 on sand paper I'll buy an orbital sander ha ha ha .  Most of my methods involve finding out what not to do first and waiting for luck to appear.  :P

I bought some 2000 grit today to start smoothing out my window frame some more. The thing looks like a mirror, but I can still see some swirl marks when looking at the right angles.  I use a long sanding block, But I might have to switch to your random orbital.  It's pretty much impossible to sand in the same direction on all four sides, so I get cross grain in the corners.  I think I originaly only went to 1500 grit before polishing, so I go 2000 and then 3000 if necessary. then after I've spent $50.00 an sand paper I'll buy an orbital sander ha ha ha .  Most of my methods involve finding out what not to do first and waiting for luck to appear.  :P

Quick note regarding the orbital sander: I only use it for the polishing compound for now.

I have found sanding uni-directionally and then polishing with the orbital sander gives me

the best results with regards to those very fine scratches that you can see only under certain

lighting angles (I'm usually not patient enough to get 100% of them out, but if they're all

in the same direction they're much harder to spot because they only appear when your head

and the light line up perfectly). But I can see how that would be slightly tricky with your panel.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

I bought some 2000 grit today to start smoothing out my window frame some more. The thing looks like a mirror, but I can still see some swirl marks when looking at the right angles.  I use a long sanding block, But I might have to switch to your random orbital.  It's pretty much impossible to sand in the same direction on all four sides, so I get cross grain in the corners.  I think I originaly only went to 1500 grit before polishing, so I go 2000 and then 3000 if necessary. then after I've spent $50.00 an sand paper I'll buy an orbital sander ha ha ha .  Most of my methods involve finding out what not to do first and waiting for luck to appear.  :P   

There are things you can use for your car to remove swirl marks, you should try them, they can get really tough marks out.

-Corsair 750D - MSI Mpower Z77 - 3570k @ 4.21 -Corsair H60- 8GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 Mhz- Corsair RM850 - MSI 780 Lightning -256GB SSD- 2 1TB HDDs - LG 23' Flatron - Razer Death Adder - Ducky Shine 3 Cherry MX Blue - Logitech z506 5.1-

Project - Bloody Lightning

Thanks for the input guys! I am documenting this.  I got a great shine with the 2000 grit, but the same problem in the corners because the stroke directions overlap. I haven't done any polishing yet and I want to see if I can take it out by hand.  Experimenting.  When you get to this level of polish or above, even microfiber rags put fine scratches in the surface.  Pic 1 is tarnished condition.

7me0.jpg

o7kl.jpg

This is just a little sanding and polishing.

oqux.jpg

This next pic is pre sanding. This tarnish took about 2 1/2 months and is fairly easy to return to original, but I am trying to get a finer polish

so more work will be required.

hakg.jpg

xlrw.jpg

The next pic is sanding only.  You can see the haze starting about where my knuckles are and around the corner.  Just like Alpenwasser said, you only see this at the right angles. It just disappears if you look from most angles.  I don't see this as a big problem and I think I can polish it out, but we are refining techniques here and I generally  use caveman methods because I like to suffer. ha ha 

f7kk.jpg

This concludes this evenings addition of the Copper channel -- WAKE UP DAME IT!!!   I'll polish this tomorrow night and see what happens. :) 

wowsers this is one amazing and very professional build. the attention to detail is like F1 standard.

I wish i had a workshop and CNC machines to be able to do this kinda thing as a hobby.

nice job.

got to love Asus components

As a couple others have said, it's not at all my style, but I can absolutely appreciate the amount of time, money, skill, and imagination required for building such an over the top (in a great way) build.  It reminds me a lot of something that Bill Owen would build himself: not everyone will love the look, but it commands respect regardless.  I do think the open grills look especially aggressive... I'd love to do something similar with the front of my build if I knew a good way to control dust buildup.  Speaking of which, how are you planning on tackling this issue?  Magnetic dust filters in between the fans and rad?

Thanks all - No CNC machines were killed in the making of this case! This is all hand crafted work. Thanks on the Bill Owen comment, he has always been a personal Hero of mine. The scary thing is that this build Is considerably toned down from my last build but obviously not an understated build. I love that we all have different tastes or we would all have the same computer.

Dust control - ha ha ha ha ha I'm not happy unless this thing sucks small animals off the floor. My trade is Air Conditioning and I carry a tank of dry Nitrogen on my truck. It's like having a 50 pound can of compression, so I'll just clean as I go. It only takes about 1/2 hr to clean.

The scary thing is that this build Is considerably toned down from my last build but obviously not an understated build.

Ok, now I think I need to see that! :D

I love that we all have different tastes or we would all have the same computer.

+1

Nice copper work btw. :wub:

Thanks Tonny this has turned out to be a good theme. Love them or hate them I'm trying to make it memorable.

Ok we were polishing Copper. I was going to get some 3000 grit but never got close to a place you could buy anything that fine.

I made about four passes with Mothers and it's more than good enough. This piece has a few deep scratches that I gave up

on removing after a week of sanding and polishing. Fortunately the Acrylic window I made comes out very easy so I can polish the frame.

evcx.jpg

Removing polishing residue, mainly from the window frame behind the copper. 

I put it in a 250 degree oven for about 7 minutes to drive the water out from between the frames.  

Playing with reflections!

jvat.jpg

Seems like I've seen these water blocks before? 

u1qy.jpg

You said you had to see that, well there that is in reflection. I learned how to mod on that one. 

So now you see why Metallica is much tamer! ha ha ha

blng.jpg

Anyway I'm still not sure if I'll ever clear coat this piece. when it has a lite tarnish on it,

I think it looks pretty good too.  And if I was only polishing it in the future I think it would

only take 45 minutes or so to do.

Dear lord, that is one gorgeous piece of coppery goodness :wub:

One day I need to do a scratchbuild from solid copper. Small form factor of course,

otherwise you'll need a forklift to lug it around. :lol:

Seems like I've seen these water blocks before?

Yeah, they look oddly familiar... :rolleyes:

Anyway I'm still not sure if I'll ever clear coat this piece. when it has a lite tarnish on it,

I think it looks pretty good too.

With all the scuffed up paint work I think that would fit pretty damn well with this build's

theme. Plus, as you say it's not really that much work to get it shiny again.

Ya I like them a little bit and all the Berry Manilow mods have been done to much! Ha ha

I just wanted a theme to work with and I ended up here. B)

51bs.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone - Just a small update. Trying to keep busy while I'm waiting for parts to arrive. With the exception of Sam,

I owe more to Bill Owen for helping to make this build happen than anyone else.

I needed an MnpcTech Emblem for the case to go with the others. I tried to sucker Bill into burning one off on the Mill,

but that thing stays pretty busy. So here goes.

I started by mining and smelting the Copper and Aluminum. Ya Right! I started by getting off my Ass.

uol2.jpg

When I think of MnpcTech I think of Billet Aluminum and a company name with to many letters in it that

I have to file out by hand!  But I wouldn't be happy if I couldn't get some copper in there somewhere.

I made this a two layer piece with Brass screws.

n4av.jpg  

The screws had to be turned down a little, they are still a little larger than I would like. 

When you live in a small town, compromises have to be made and it was a good excuse to put something in my drill.

t8pz.jpg

5283.jpg

At about this point ,I'm thinking I've really screwed this up and may have to start over? 

You just have to keep nibbling away and hope it gets better by the end.

ykwy.jpg

dx4y.jpg

c1ot.jpg

g4ea.jpg

hu6k.jpg

1blh.jpg

3x17.JPG

24lx.jpg

ynfj.jpg

z8kr.jpg

This Commercial Is brought to you by MnpcTech and The Metallica Build He he he   http://www.mnpctech....semodstore.html

Has anyone ever told you your work is amazing?

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

How are you going to move this Case ?

Love your Work ! 

“Strength does not come from winning. your struggles develop your strengths. 

When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength” 

Case: Corsair Obsidian 400R , CPU : Intel Core i7-3770K , Mobo: ASRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance , Cpu Cooler : CoolerMaster Seidon 120M , RAM : Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8GB , Hard Drive : Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB , Monitor : Dell UltraSharp U2312HM , GPU : ASUS GTX 670 DIRECT CU II

Thanks guys!  I do have to pull a few pieces off to move it around and it's not full yet!  Some one on facebook mentioned that I was taking pictures on a glass table and that the glass might break.  It is really a strong table, but now he has me paranoid ha ha.  It might be a concern, when I get water and the rest of the hardware in it. I'm trying to make it so heavy that it can never be stolen, I would find them in the front yard holding their back lol. 

Yes this is all going to Metallica, right after the $20,000 check clears the bank.

Ok I have a problem! I can't stop modding stuff, I need an intervention team ASAP.

7ycv.jpg

gcz8.jpg

It's got so bad, I'm starting to make light switch covers?

j603.jpg

adio.jpg

jnw7.jpg

How convenient, This Awesome SSD that Corsair provided for the build fits right in there. 

vh55.jpg

9727.jpg

It's a shame that this will most likely be mounted behind the mother board.  

Well I wasn't gonna just stick it in there, I still have Copper left. 

Epic!....

once again... <_<

:lol:

-Corsair Carbide 500r + TX-750w V2 | Asus P5Q Deluxe + Intel Core2Duo E8400 @ 3.8Ghz + 2x2GB G.Skill DDR2 1066mhz

-Sapphire HD4890 1GB DDR5 (New Edition) + 1x Intel SSD 330 120GB + 2x Seagate Barracuda 500GB SlimSinglePlate (RAID0)

Thanks a lot guys. Just taking care of bits and pieces while waiting for my water cooling gear to arrive.