Nvidia's Super Dynamic Resolution (Nobody cares?)

kraxe_tk

Nvidia just released their 900 series, GTX 970, GTX 980.  They come with SDR menu options,  Nvidia says that they will release SDR for 700 series later down.

You can supposedly make your own SDR effect.

Check it out on PC Gamer http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/09/19/nvidias-dynamic-super-resolution-is-downsampling-made-easy/

Video from PC Games Hardware https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsvG9kJkYKM

People care but Nvidia said it's very hard to work for if you are a noob don't work with it, they expect that some code masters will make engines that use these features and then people will use it.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I care.

Damit beat me to it.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

-snip-

Nobody Cares!

That is what they said about the iPhone in 2007...

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

It's called downsampling and people have been doing it for awhile, the big deal about it is that SDR is automatic and unlike manual downsampling it won't be affected by a picky scaler in your monitor. It takes a but of fiddling to downsample and different monitors will only allow higher resolutions to a certain point. Mine will allow 3200x1800 but on the downsampling thread you can see that the maximum resolution you can achieve will change depending on your monitor.

I don't think that people really understand the benefit that downsampling has, mostly because it was a badly compressed video stream showing the changes so not much of a difference was discernible. When people actually see the kind of difference it can make they will freak out. 

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

I believe it was covered in the live blogging post of Nvidia's Game24 live stream yesterday ...

So, enabling SDR will yeild better graphics on sub 4K monitors. How will it affect performance though?

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

i actually liked this

it was a bit confusing for me and i never bothered to try again

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

So, enabling SDR will yeild better graphics on sub 4K monitors. How will it affect performance though?

a LOT

just do them when ur maxing out a game and ur still over 100 fps

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I really, really hope they enable this feature on 700 series cards.  I am very happy with my current 780, but SDR is a very, very nice feature.  Especially when the 780 already maxes out many games.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

I would like that. Get sharper images, i got enough power for the time being. Well. Atleast in the games i play

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

It's called downsampling and people have been doing it for awhile, the big deal about it is that SDR is automatic and unlike manual downsampling it won't be affected by a picky scaler in your monitor. It takes a but of fiddling to downsample and different monitors will only allow higher resolutions to a certain point. Mine will allow 3200x1800 but on the downsampling thread you can see that the maximum resolution you can achieve will change depending on your monitor.

I don't think that people really understand the benefit that downsampling has, mostly because it was a badly compressed video stream showing the changes so not much of a difference was discernible. When people actually see the kind of difference it can make they will freak out. 

I wouldn't say it's that big of a difference that it would cause them to "freak out,"however downsamping is quite a bit better solution than anti aliasing to remove aliasing as it makes the line appear much straighter due to the higher internal resolution without making the textures blurrier like AA usually does.

Nvidia claimed, or somebody else may have, that their DSR technology, no not super dynamic resolution but dynamic super resolution, actually has some performance improvement over standard downsampling and that'd be interesting.

Also People make it seem like downsamping was hard on Nvidia graphics cards before.....it takes moments to make a new resolution. If this was an AMD technology sure this'd be ground breaking because at this point you have to edit your registry to make new resolutions with an AMD graphics card, I mean their driver has no special feature to add resolutions not native to your monitor. Nvidia on the other hand has this:

http://imgur.com/a/2awtH#4

And I can't imagine it being too much easier than this.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

CS: Source downsampled haha. Yeah I care about it. Something that I would gladly mess around with. I honestly didn't pay much attention to it but now it's gotten my interest.

Umm... Lots of people care?

Downsampling/supersampling is one of the best ways of getting a significant increase in image quality. It doesn't just have an anti aliasing effect but there is increased detail in the image too...

The trouble is it can be a pain in the ass to get working at the moment. I think it's pretty cool that Nvidia have implemented this in their drivers.

Also, it's called Dynamic Super Resolution, not Super Dynamic Resolution.

I use downsampling all the time and this will not only make it easier to set up but also get rid of the HUD problems most older games have.

The only problem I have with this is that it's 4K only.

Sometimes you can't run the game at 4K downsampling but at 1620p and 1440p it will run.

RTX2070OC 

I use downsampling all the time and this will not only make it easier to set up but also get rid of the HUD problems most older games have.

The only problem I have with this is that it's 4K only.

Sometimes you can't run the game at 4K downsampling but at 1620p and 1440p it will run.

It's not 4K only...

You can set the scaling factor to anything between x1.1 up to x4.

Hmm, I knew this had been a thing for a while, I didn't realise that it was such a difficult thing to do. I was confused as to why Nvidia was making a fuss about it, but I can see how it'll be cool now.

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

I wouldn't say it's that big of a difference that it would cause them to "freak out,"however downsamping is quite a bit better solution than anti aliasing to remove aliasing as it makes the line appear much straighter due to the higher internal resolution without making the textures blurrier like AA usually does.

Nvidia claimed, or somebody else may have, that their DSR technology, no not super dynamic resolution but dynamic super resolution, actually has some performance improvement over standard downsampling and that'd be interesting.

Also People make it seem like downsamping was hard on Nvidia graphics cards before.....it takes moments to make a new resolution. If this was an AMD technology sure this'd be ground breaking because at this point you have to edit your registry to make new resolutions with an AMD graphics card, I mean their driver has no special feature to add resolutions not native to your monitor. Nvidia on the other hand has this:

http://imgur.com/a/2awtH#4

And I can't imagine it being too much easier than this.

It's not really hard but it does take some doing to find out your monitors maximum resolution so there is some trial and error involved. There also is a significant difference depending on the game and how high you can push the resolution. A game like Metro LL really shows the difference that it can make. Some would argue that it hardly makes any difference but for someone who constantly notices small imperfections in traditional AA regardless of the settings it really is on a whole new level.

Metro LL @1080

ZFtpx7W.png

Metro LL @3200x1800 DS

lr4RTwY.jpg

For people new to it, actually getting it up and running is sometimes confusing and a lot of work, I personally know how to do it and once you know how it's relatively easy however it's more work than most people are willing to do and having an automatic version is handy for those people.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299