Ubisoft explains the lack of French accents in Assassin's Creed Unity

In an interview with Alex Amancio, creative director of the game, he said the following: 

"The idea is that the Animus is translating everything into the language you’re playing in. That’s why, since you’re an Anglophone, you’re hearing all the dialogue and cinematics in English," Amancio said. "It would really make no sense for there to be a French accent because that would mean that this French character is trying to address you in accented English. Everyone in the game is not trying to speak English for your benefit.”

Alex also said that all the non game-related elements will be in french.

"The only lines that are going to be translated into English are gameplay-related elements that we need to convey to the player." He explains. “Those parts will be in English. Everything else is in French. You’ll really have the immersion of walking around in Paris and hearing everyone speaking French.”

Most parts of the game are in french except the game-related elements. These are in "perfect" english. I'm not sure what to think of it.

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/15/ubisoft-discusses-the-lack-of-french-accents-in-assassins-creed-unity

It makes sense. I completely agree. You know what I like it when they do not translate the different languages. If you don't understand them then tough. Read the subtitles. In that respect Inglorious Basterds was amazing. (I am slightly biased as I speak English, German, French and Italian along with the Swiss German dialect.)

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

I too say tough shit to those who don't know any of the languages. 

Immersion is key. Either you don't know French and thus feel out of place, or you know French and maybe it adds to the experience. Either way, its adding to the experience. 

Pickup a damn dictionary and start translating if its too difficult to keep up with what that street card vendor just yelled at you because you smashed through his setup while trying to escape from the guards. 

Mais je veux un accent français . . . Seems like since unity takes places in France they should speak French.   TO translate the small french sentence: But I want french accents.

Why not just have all the speech in french and have english subtitles? Would make it a bit more immersive.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

Why not just have all the speech in french and have english subtitles? Would make it a bit more immersive.

You will not reach the mass market with subtitles.

As a French I'm curious about the french voice acting for once (generally it's pretty bad).

The Animus has an automatic translator and I would expect it to be in a fully functional form in AC Unity. ACII-ACIII had a buggy translator from what I remember. Therefore I would expect the game to be in fully fleshed out English.

im fine with the game in french but they could have just installed a translator into the Animus 

This makes sense, I expect that the majority of the audience is English speaking and not bilingual with French. I can understand why having everyone speak French would be immersive, but there is a point where the fact that you can't understand shit actually makes it less so. 
I would have preferred French accents though. Having the animus translate properly would mean that everyone would be talking an an Aussie accent to me, which would be incredibly annoying. ACII had Italian accents even though the dialogue was in English, it was translated so you could understand, but not so regional that it seems out of place, which worked well.

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

I agree so much! I will always, repeat ALWAYS hate Crisis for this crap. If you want north Koreans, then FIND SOMEBODY WHO SPEAKS KOREAN!! Don't put in American actors, make them speak English with an offensive Asian accent.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

It makes sense. I completely agree. You know what I like it when they do not translate the different languages. If you don't understand them then tough. Read the subtitles. In that respect Inglorious Basterds was amazing. (I am slightly biased as I speak English, German, French and Italian along with the Swiss German dialect.)

I agree with your sentiment yet come away with the exact opposite conclusion: The original language should be respected but I would have preferred that this games would keep everything but the "modern" cinematics in french with subtitles instead. Having him translate everything is a good compromise but a compromise nonetheless: It should have been all French with subtitles.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I agree with your sentiment yet come away with the exact opposite conclusion: The original language should be respected but I would have preferred that this games would keep everything but the "modern" cinematics in french with subtitles instead. Having him translate everything is a good compromise but a compromise nonetheless: It should have been all French with subtitles.

Agreed! Subtitles aren't some disease. Its far better to have original language and then have subtitles. Anybody who have watched a dubbed movie knows that.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

Since when has Assassin's Creed taken good ideas and done them right? There is no immersion in AC games, they're Arkham games but with good stories.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Ubisoft... you own a studio IN MONTREAL!  How can you not have french accents when your studio is basically based in a Quebec city!

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

How about if a game is set in France everyone speaks french and there are just subtitles at the bottom. Same if it was set in America, Japan, Russia, Italy or werever. I would be pretty down with that but I watch a lot of foreign films so I am used to reading subtitles. It is educating though to listen to lots of foreign dialect. But I guess Ubisoft doesn't want to harm their potential profits by using their how dialect because Ubi is a french company at the end of the day. Someone should try it out and see what happens.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

How about if a game is set in France everyone speaks french and there are just subtitles at the bottom. Same if it was set in America, Japan, Russia, Italy or werever. I would be pretty down with that but I watch a lot of foreign films so I am used to reading subtitles. It is educating though to listen to lots of foreign dialect. But I guess Ubisoft doesn't want to harm their potential profits by using their how dialect because Ubi is a french company at the end of the day. Someone should try it out and see what happens.

anyone that watched anime would be okay with this... not like devs make characters faces very pretty anyways.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

you want me to READ

what the hell is wrong with you !!!!!!

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

anyone that watched anime would be okay with this... not like devs make characters faces very pretty anyways.

I watch anime which is probably why then. Also lots of Asian films.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard