The microsoft-minecraft deal is official!

That $2.5B isn't just for Minecraft, the game, Mojang, the studio and the $97M per year. It's for the fan base who will follow it right into M$' hands. They've sold 50 million copies. Assuming 80% were unique, and 50% of that are still playing regularly, that's 50 * 0.8 * 0.5 = 20 million active players of MC.

Then tell me, what happens when that fanbase doesn't want to be in Microsoft's hands? What happens if, in theory, 50% of them leave(PC, Playstation, Linux, Mac)? Then when Microsoft makes changes to help recoup costs with the sudden lack of playerbase by using draconian practices, more even leave?

I can only see this going one of two ways.

1. Microsoft actually commits to keep improving Minecraft, they even port it over from Java to C++ and keep up with modding support. Every platform is equal and treated the same and fairly.

2. Microsoft slowly kills off the other platforms that they can't control(PS, Linux, Mac). Then they monopolize their platforms and then Mojang becomes like RARE.

God forbid it's the second one, but it's more then likely the second one due to Microsoft's track record.

This doesn't change anything yet - Mojang are still the company that made minecraft, still the same employees. Microsoft just now owns the company. They might just see it as a long term investment.

The founders are already gone. Chop off the head and the body dies.

Source m8?

The source has been there since I posted the article 

Already been multiple posts about this.

I was the first one to post it

Thanks Microsoft. I see that buying other games that were coming to PC (and to customers who give you money), like Tomb Raider, Halo wasn't enough screwing over of PC Gamers who run Windows. Now you are going to screw them over with delays, non releases  with Minecraft on PC as well. Thanks a ton. I will go out and buy Windows 9 and a 1.7ghz AMD CPU/AMD 7770 POS box right now. NM I will never buy a MS product again, and neither should anyone else with a brain.

They gave us Windows which makes PC Gaming possible. The only things in their history that show poor treatment of PC gamers is Games for Windows Live. If that's enough to say they are "the worst for PC Gaming" why isn't Ubi or EA since they both also have crappy DRMs? At least EA had the decency to no make it dual-layered like Ubi.

MS didn't even write their version of DOS which they put on IBM's. They bought it from someone else. Windows was reverse engineered from Mac prototypes (and it sucked big time initially and for quite some time) which Jobs reverse engineered from Xerox PARC. Even the damn term WINDOWS comes from PARC. This is well before MS Windows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxEmJu8OSug

MS didn't even write the original DirectX (they bought it) and it was a massive POS, and John Carmack wrote an open letter to MS telling them what a turd it was. It wasn't until DX 9 that he thought DX was worth a damn, and any game could be put on OpenGL that can be put on Windows. Playstation has run a proprietary API with OpenGL libraries for ages now and it has always been just as good or superior to the DX versions. 

THIS is why we hate MS. BS, outright lies, astroturfing, and people being so naive and stupid, that they believe those lies. MS has NOTHING to do with gaming on PC, except for forcing us to buy DX upgrades as new OS's for 100 dollars every few years, holding back new API features (which are also seen on OpenGL) for YEARS, due to game developers having to target majority share (example: there are ZERO Direct X 11.2 games in existence on PC), and buying PC titles and withholding them or delaying them on PC.  They then resort to illegal activities like astroturfing to sell that they are GOOD for PC gaming, and GOOD for the customer. They get busted astroturfing Xbox, their Nokia phones, IE, paying off bloggers, but it doesn't matter because they have paid advertisers and BS artists on all tech/gaming forums to tell you how awesome they are and upvote each others comments.

MS is the worst thing to ever happen to PC gaming and always has been. Most of the HUGE games that grew PC gaming like Doom, Quake, Half Life and Unreal were OpenGL. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_OpenGL_programs

Want PC gaming to get better? Stop buying MS products. All you are doing is keeping console exclusives alive, and on Xbox that means PC games that are bought up by MS and then kept off freakin PC.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Look at all the kiddies who think they understand corporate business better than MS,  make lots of assumptions and then get pissed about things that haven't even happened. :rolleyes:

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I was never really into minecraft or the company. But.... Yea I got nothing. Let just hope Microsoft doesn't mess them up to much.

Is Minecraft/Mojang making that much money now? I think if MS was going to make a move on Mine craft it should have been long time ago. I'm sure the mine craft hype has died down quite a bit.

They may very well have tried, as well as other companies. Maybe they weren't ready to sell until now.

Yeah everyone is just hating on Microsoft for no reason. It's not like they have bought great gaming companies in the past and then completely ruined them!

All the distrust for Microsoft is totally unjustified!

/sarcasm

Oh well. I have already bought Minecraft which is the only interesting Mojang game anyway. I will be really pissed if they start neglecting some version in favor of another. Sadly I wouldn't be surprised if that happens, for example the Xbone version getting better updates or getting them sooner than PC.

We will just have to wait and see how this turns out. Maybe it will be the best thing ever.

Look at all the kiddies who think they understand corporate business better than MS,  make lots of assumptions and then get pissed about things that haven't even happened. :rolleyes:

Shhhhhh! Seeing them rage is funny!

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

EA is may not be the most liked company but they are one of the biggest PC supporters in the industry.(They were also the first to support Mantle)

Microsoft is a split up company there is the Windows team that cares for PCs but not for gaming and than there is the Xbox team that only cares for Xbox.

Minecraft is owned now by the Xbox team and they don't give two shits about PC gaming.

Where are the PC versions of Forza 5/Horizon 2,Killer Instinct,Halo 3,Reach,4,5,Master Chief Collection,new Zoo Tycoon,new Fable,Quantum Break,Tomb Raider 2 ect. ?

Where was the day 1 XboxOne controller and Kincet 2 support ?

Where is crossplay that even Sony offers?

When is the last time they mentioned PC at E3 in the last 5 years ?

That makes sense though, an Xbox centric team caring noyl about Xbox but that isn't their goal. At least it isn't if they want to make money. Minecraft is pretty much to the point of running dry in sold copies. There isn't going to be a massive amount of profit in that anymore but the community can help generate income for Microsoft by keeping them around. This isn't about PC Gaming as a whole this is about the PC version of one game. Alienating the largest community on the PC is probably not something they will do.

-snip-

I'm not going to read this because it seems like a bunch of pointless rabble. Regardless of whether they created the first version of Windows or really anything doesn't matter. Gaming is possible on Windows, we want to play games and it works. It doesn't necessarily need to be better, OpenGL has 0 driver overhang but what dev is going to make Linux ports of the games to take advantage of that? Don't bite the hand that feeds, there aren't other options right now so no one uses them. If SteamOS turns out to be all Valve promised than Windows will die out, till then. Be thankful you can even play your games.

I'm curious to think why people have an idea that Microsoft will do something to Mojang. Why do they have to do anything to Mojang? Can't it be like the Oculus-Facebook merge?

This doesn't change anything yet - Mojang are still the company that made minecraft, still the same employees. Microsoft just now owns the company. They might just see it as a long term investment.

Finally, someone on this forum with a decent grasp on finance. Yes, $2.5b seems like a bit much, but remember that Microsoft's got enough money in the bank to be something-billion dollars in the red every year for 25 years. If Mojang were a publicly-traded company, their stock prices would be skyrocketing right about now. Microsoft has the resources necessary to keep Minecraft ever-expanding, whereas Mojang seem to be overwhelmed with the player base they already have. Have some faith, people.

Thinking of building a rig soon

I believe this gif is entirely appropriate for this news.

flushing-money-o.gif

This is a terrible idea on so many levels with so many influences.

That makes sense though, an Xbox centric team caring noyl about Xbox but that isn't their goal. At least it isn't if they want to make money. Minecraft is pretty much to the point of running dry in sold copies. There isn't going to be a massive amount of profit in that anymore but the community can help generate income for Microsoft by keeping them around. This isn't about PC Gaming as a whole this is about the PC version of one game. Alienating the largest community on the PC is probably not something they will do.

I don't think they will abandon the other versions but it wouldn't surprise me if they start selling now DLC for the PC version and put in microtransactions in the game.

And I bet the XboxOne version is now the priority instead of the PC version.

RTX2070OC 

I'm not going to read this because it seems like a bunch of pointless rabble. Regardless of whether they created the first version of Windows or really anything doesn't matter. Gaming is possible on Windows, we want to play games and it works. It doesn't necessarily need to be better, OpenGL has 0 driver overhang but what dev is going to make Linux ports of the games to take advantage of that? Don't bite the hand that feeds, there aren't other options right now so no one uses them. If SteamOS turns out to be all Valve promised than Windows will die out, till then. Be thankful you can even play your games.

Well I read the post you made and in no way did you refute any of my true statements. You claimed we couldn't game without Windows. That is absurd. Both in the past when their API was absolute GARBAGE or non existent and not used (was  garbage up until the mid 2000's) and now.

"Gaming is possible on Windows". Gaming is possible on any OS and on multiple API's. Playstation has no problem getting the same games Xbox does and they look no worse (look better due to superior hardware). You are comparing shader libraries and effects which are damn near the same.

"Don't bite the hand that feeds". That literally makes no sense. The hardware partners are Steam OS partners and Nvidia, Intel, AMD are also partners in the Kronos group that owns OpenGL. A free OS, lowering the price of a gaming computer by 100 dollars (and several hundreds of dollars as the years go by), by avoiding the "Microsoft gaming tax" just means people could spend that money on better or new hardware and it mean an initial gaming computer is now a more affordable purchase. MS doesn't "feed" anyone, except themselves. OpenGL can work on Windows just as well as it does on Linux. 

"Be thankful that you can even play your games". What exactly am I supposed to thank Microsoft for? Paying 100 dollars every couple years for a API upgrade, that is no better than a free API  just so I can game? That API not even being used and game ports being worse than they would on current OpenGL, because MS refuses to give Windows 7  DX11.2?  Delayed Tomb Raider from their own freakin customers? Possibly delayed Mine Craft that will probably not be mod friendly? Them keeping Halo off the PC, when it was originally a PC game?  Them attempting yearly fees to charge PC gamers just to be able to play games on the PC (Games for Windows Live)? Them charging people a monthly fee to play online on their console?

How about original IP's? There is Forza....and Forza and that is about it and it is kept off PC. The one good PC game I can think of was Flight Simulator which they could care less about, since they put their money into buying PC titles like Tomb Raider/Minecraft and then delaying and keeping them off PC. The other successful IP's are PC franchises MS bought.

PC Gamers owe Microsoft nothing, get charged hundreds of dollars for a monopoly API that has no reason to exist, and after paying that fee, are then screwed out of games, or have games delayed from the same people who sold them the OS, while also being screwed out of their games being on a modern API due to MS withholding API patches from majority share. Microsoft should be thankful for the stupidity of PC Gamers, for being naive enough to go along with this monopoly for this long, and falling for the astroturfing to promote it on forums like this. Without their stupidity and continued support of the same company (people who buy a Xbox AND a copy of Windows are the ultimate idiots) that is screwing them over, then this monopoly would have never taken off and MS would have avoided gaming all together. 

We owe MS? Literally the funniest thing I have ever read. MS is the most hostile company towards PC Gaming in existence. No wonder MS is going to DRM. They are openly hostile to PC gaming, run a corrupt monopoly, illegally resort to astroturfing on ALL their products, from phones, to Xbox, Windows and IE, and then after doing illegal and shady activity, want people to purchase their OS....

G'luck with that MS. Windows 9 will be the most pirated OS ever, IF people are forced to use the damn thing to play games, due to artificial limits they put on their past OS's not getting an API patch...

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

I don't think they will abandon the other versions but it wouldn't surprise me if they start selling now DLC for the PC version and put in microtransactions in the game.

And I bet the XboxOne version is now the priority instead of the PC version.

i dont think xbone will get special treatment really over pc. BUT windows phone will get extreme priority over any other edition because with minecraft on windows phone they will sell more windows phones...idiots, but ya i am fully expecting either a monthly subscription fee to come along or micro transactions or more than likely both. just so they can monetize the living fuck out of the game and ruin it