Google announces Android One - ~100 dollar smartphones

LAwLz

post-216-0-97585200-1410775717.jpg

Google just announced that they will be working with companies to bring super cheap smartphones to countries such as India.

Google says that a lot of entry-level phones are still too expensive for people in countries such as India and the Philippines and are now trying to fix this issue with Android One.

They will be working closely with phone and component manufacturers to bring prices down while not compromising on the user experience. Some key aspects of these new phones will be:

• Affordable (~100 dollars or maybe less)
  • Not cut corners on processing power (I suspect quad core A7s for now, but maybe quad core A53 in the future). This particular One (pun intended) will have a 1.3GHz quad core CPU from MediaTek.
  • High quality front and rear facing cameras (interesting to see two of them on such cheap devices).
  • Expandable storage (why the hell do budget phones get this but not high end ones? Come on Google...)
  • Dual SIM cards
  • Replaceable battery
  • FM radio
  • Stock Android (to ensure quick updates directly from Google, just like a Nexus) with Android L confirmed.

The minimum specs for Android One phones will be:

• 4.5" display
  • 1GB of RAM
  • 5MP rear and 2MP front camera
  • Quad core processor

The three devices announced today appear to have the same specs, which are as follows:

4.5" IPS screen with a resolution of 854x480

1.3GHz MediaTek quad core CPU (probably Cortex A7, so slightly better than the Moto G)

1700mAh battery

and the rest of the stuff listed above (cameras, 1GB of RAM and so on).

The hardware manufacturers will be allowed to add additional software to the phones, but the "core software" will be stock Android. If I read that correctly, it will be like with the Motorola phones. Stock Android but with some extra apps added (and hopefully removable).

On top of that, Google has made some changes to their own apps to suit these markets a bit more. One of these changes is an "offline" version of YouTube which allows you to store videos locally. Just save the video and you'll be able to rewatch it multiple times without using any additional data (Google please add this to the stock YouTube app already).

Google is also teaming up with the mobile operator Airtel to provide users with 200MB of data a month for the first 6 months, for free. It is not 100% clear if this is just 200MB of general data, or only for data from Google (like software updates or downloading apps from the store).

It looks like it will be an additional 200MB of data on top of your regular data plan, but these 200MB will only be usable for software updates as well as downloading apps on the Play Store. General web browsing will use up your standard data cap.

The first Android One phones are made by Micromax, Karbonn, Spice and MediaTek and will retail at 6399 India Rupee (about 105 US dollars).

Other hardware partners that are on board are Acer, Asus, HTC, Lenovo and Qualcomm, among many others.

Video:

Source: Google's Blog

context (2014 june 25)

stock android

gets updates just like nexus and GPe phones

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Claiming the title I see :P

Now I am curious to see the specs

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Claiming the title I see :P

Now I am curious to see the specs

http://www.nextpowerup.com/news/12739/snapdeal-launches-karbonn-sparkle-v-android-one-smartphone-in-india.html

here is an example of one being launched in india

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Why do all companies only care about the US -.-

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

• Not cut corners on processing power (I suspect quad core A7s for now, but maybe quad core A53 in the future).
  • High quality front and rear facing cameras (interesting to see two of them on such cheap devices).
  • Expandable storage (why the hell do budget phones get this but not high end ones? Come on Google...)
  • Dual SIM cards
  • Replaceable battery
  • FM radio
  • Stock Android (to ensure quick updates directly from Google, just like a Nexus) with Android L confirmed.

The minimum specs for Android One phones will be:

• 4.5" display
  • 1GB of RAM
  • 5MP rear and 2MP front camera
  • Quad core processor

Affordable (~100 dollars or maybe less)

this seems like basically IPhone 5-ish grade specs to me. This running Android for 100 bucks seems like a really really good deal. Not just for dev. countries, but also for people that dont want to spend 600 dollars on a mobile phone, like students...

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

this seems like basically IPhone 5-ish grade specs to me. This running Android for 100 bucks seems like a really really good deal. Not just for dev. countries, but also for people that dont want to spend 600 dollars on a mobile phone, like students...

sounds more like an iphone  4s  excluding the screen and gpu

too bad we wont see these in other countries

Those are some nice minimum specs at a very affordable price. Hopefully we'll be able to see these phones state side.

I approve.

COMIC SANS

Not bad. Though 1GB RAM is no no. I have Moto G 11 months now. It just can't handle decent browsing. Either crashes the browser or slows down to halt. But yeah, direction is good.

So this is even better than Moto G & E.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

wtf? It's targeted at low cost phones and starting in India.

And India too.

Come on,I'm not expecting these phones to come out in Eastern Europe.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

One this, one that, everything is naming to become One

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

• Dual SIM cards
  • Replaceable battery
  • FM radio

What the hell?  I think you miss quoted.  surely these features that many people have wanted must only be available on a bajillion dollar fone that can't be brought to market because it would break the lawz of physics (or some such BS)

And India too.

Come on,I'm not expecting these phones to come out in Eastern Europe.

Huh? Why are you even talking about the US? The program is designed and carried by a US company for developing nations. Just because it isn't where you yet are doesn't mean it won't be ever.

If English isn't your first language I understand, but what you're saying currently makes no sense.

One this, one that, everything is naming to become One

This. Why is everything the one? Are they trying to convince us that its the device to end all devices or something? Because I call BS right there. I predict that in under a year all of the "one" devices will become outdated. Everyone needs to chill and come up with a logical naming system. So help me, if I start seeing things named the One 2 or One Two, well, lets just say entire marketing teams might suddenly go missing.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

I will buy one simply because I don't need a £500 phone.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Huh? Why are you even talking about the US? The program is designed and carried by a US company for developing nations. Just because it isn't where you yet are doesn't mean it won't be ever.

If English isn't your first language I understand, but what you're saying currently makes no sense.

Because everything is cheaper there.

Why the hell do I have to pay 50% more just because I live in Eastern Europe,even though the average income here is ~$500 a month?

Because everything is cheaper there.

Why the hell do I have to pay 50% more just because I live in Eastern Europe,even though the average income here is ~$500 a month?

You don't, read the OP:

The first Android One phone is made by Micromax, Karbonn, Spice and MediaTek and will retail at 6399 India Rupee (about 105 US dollars).

Would you rather that, or $400+ for a Nexus phone or even more for something else like a Galaxy? The whole point of the scheme is to increase access to smartphones. They're being sold at or below cost, you can't ask for much better than that.

This is actually pretty good, I'm thinking close to a moto g

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

Not bad, what's the resolution for the screen?

would love to see a 5" screen if it's 1080x1920.

This. Why is everything the one? Are they trying to convince us that its the device to end all devices or something? Because I call BS right there. I predict that in under a year all of the "one" devices will become outdated. Everyone needs to chill and come up with a logical naming system. So help me, if I start seeing things named the One 2 or One Two, well, lets just say entire marketing teams might suddenly go missing.

That's what worries me. "One" might sound cool now, but it will be a nightmare to name the successor.

Not bad, what's the resolution for the screen?

would love to see a 5" screen if it's 1080x1920.

You're in luck, because it actually already exists!

This is actually pretty good, I'm thinking close to a moto g

Yes but worse, it has a mediatek chip instead of the Qualcomm, probably worse build quality, worse screen, no water repellant nano coating, no gorilla glass confirmation. And probably no support after android L from the manufacturers or custom rom devs, unless Google keeps them updated but the nexus line only had 18 months of updates so...

Also lacks features like moto assist, moto alert, moto migrate and the camera features like slow mode.

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

Praise the lawd for vanilla Android sub 100USD phones!

Still, I've seen sub 50USD android phones in the market so... Yeah... Hopefully this will be the gamebreaker at the low end of things...