[RUMOR] Mojang to be acquired by Microsoft (Update3, It's Official)

Rafy

Please for the love of everything, let this be true. Keep the same staff and everything, just MAKE THEM Code the game to C#. We don't need more MC updates. MAKE THOSE FUCKERS LEARN A NEW LANGUAGE 

Minecraft isn't making as much money as it used to. Remember, Mojang themselves only get 30 bucks per sale, and get no percentage of server buyable items.

But they also sell merch.

Please for the love of everything, let this be true. Keep the same staff and everything, just MAKE THEM Code the game to C#. We don't need more MC updates. MAKE THOSE FUCKERS LEARN A NEW LANGUAGE 

Unless they use the mono framework, C# is not multi platform, what happens to the people that bough Minecraft for Mac or Linux?

So they're essentially trying to pull a Halo again.

Halo is about to come out as Mac exclusive ---> Buy Bungie, make it Xbox exclusive instead

Minecraft is coming out on PS4 ---> Buy Mojang, make it Xbox exclusive instead.

I hate Microsoft so bloody much.

If Mac had become the default gaming hardware, we would all be on OpenGL right now, decades ahead of shitty awful spaghetti-coded incompetent DirectX.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

So they're essentially trying to pull a Halo again.

Halo is about to come out as Mac exclusive ---> Buy Bungie, make it Xbox exclusive instead

Minecraft is coming out on PS4 ---> Buy Mojang, make it Xbox exclusive instead.

I hate Microsoft so bloody much.

If Mac had become the default gaming hardware, we would all be on OpenGL right now, decades ahead of shitty awful spaghetti-coded incompetent DirectX.

Everyone,listen to this guy!

@ the folks talking about making it come to C#, the mobile version of the game (which is optimised to the point that 32 chunk render distance on infinite worlds runs 1080P 60FPS on a nexus 5) uses C++ and runs natively on Windows.

I find it likely that when the mobile version reaches parity with the PC version, they could just bring that over to PC as a highly optimised version. It's already multi core capable (up to like 8 cores).

Also, in 1.8 I'm fairly certain they already added multi threaded chunk loading as well as the cave filing algorithm (back ported from the mobile version).

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

According to TheVerge, Notch spearheaded this deal and was the one who contacted Microsoft. All I see is the death of future PS3/PS4 builds of Minecraft and an almost certain case of Games for Windows Live integration for minecraft, which I think would kill it.

Its surprising though that Notch would do this after being 'creeped out' by Oculus's purchase from facebook.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Microsoft could port it to C# which would run faster (C-based language + DX12) would make the game run smoother. Also their experience with servers would be helpful to hopefully stop stuttering/lag during online play.

But I also wouldn't want to see ads in my game I paid for... See: Skype.

That wouldn't help the OS X and Linux users at all. OpenGL would be needed, and MS does not like it one bit. :(

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

That wouldn't help the OS X and Linux users at all. OpenGL would be needed, and MS does not like it one bit. :(

Oh I know. People complain about Java, but at least it meant Minecraft ran on any x86 OS on day one.

If they port it to C++ and OpenGL that would be outstanding.

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

I updated the OP, according to Reuters the deal will be announced Monday and it will be for 2.5 Million USD

If this actually legit.. I'm absolutely pissed, they've already ruined Skype.. what will they do to Minecraft -.-

-Tony

Notch:  $2 billion?  Honestly, I'm offended.

MS:  How about $2.5?

Notch: OK. 

Satan's buttcrack 4790K - MSI mpower ultramaxextreme AC - 16gb G.skillz Trident 2400 - ZLoLtac GTX 980  - Corsair H110 Overkill - Oculus Rift DK2 - Asus vg248qe7the144hzone

Maybe Microsoft is only buying the Minecraft franchise. Or maybe there's some agreement that Microsoft can't make it Windows Phone/Xbox exclusive, they need to do PC/PS4/iOS/Android as well. Or both. Hopefully.

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

getting rid of java, all of my yes, but lets me realistic in here, if they bought it, they cease to support other platforms that isn't the xbox (unless mojang has some sort of legal binding to support a platform MC is on), maybe they keep pocket edition, (or just kill it and re made it for WP only) and i expect there's would be a chance to end support for the PC version, and they can do all of this simpling making MC2

we know microsoft, has a very shitty history with pc games in the last 10 years

Microsoft isn't going to stop support for platforms that are generating money for them. They even support Office suite on iOS and Android so I don't see why they wouldn't support this game on those platforms.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Could this be considered revenge for the fact that some of the money brought in by the Blu-Ray player, that's used on the Xbox One, goes to Sony? 

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

Notch posted on reddit the other day that he bought an $80k watch. Maybe he needs more nice watches.

Whatever, it's his money & company but I really wish he wouldn't settle Minecraft to a company dedicated to "embrace, extend, extinguish".

Microsoft could port it to C# which would run faster (C-based language + DX12) would make the game run smoother. Also their experience with servers would be helpful to hopefully stop stuttering/lag during online play.

But I also wouldn't want to see ads in my game I paid for... See: Skype.

yup sounds like a great plan for them. port to C# and kill off linux and mac support entirely. monetize the fuck out of the game, kill the community, and let the game die. sounds like a great way for it to end

Exactly, it would be so much better if it wasn't in Java (which let's face it, isn't designed for 3D shizzle anyways)

except java allows the game to be linux and mac without them having to that much harder. java has its place and when you wanna do multiplatform development like this, native C++ isnt very viable. especially given how it started as a one man operation. i agree java isnt the best platform or language to work in/on. but it does work for deploying to multiple platforms easily.

Wait, according to your second update, Microsoft is buying Mojang to boost Windows Phone sales?

Are they that fucking stupid?

Joost van Dreunen, Chief Executive of research firm SuperData, said the price tag ”seems like a lot for a title that has certainly not peaked but is certainly not in its initial frenzy."

He doubts that Minecraft can really help Windows phone sales: “Minecraft itself has done very well on the iOS platform, but it’s better on the iPad, the screen is bigger," he said. "I don’t see why this could drive handset sales.”

Markus Persson, the game's creator and co-founder of Mojang, said last year that Windows phones are so insignificant in terms of market share that they are not worth developing for.

"Because it's tiny," Persson wrote in an email to Reuters last June, when asked why his company only made mobile versions of its games for iOS and Android, but not Windows Phone.

"Both Symbian and Blackberry have more users than Windows Phone," wrote Persson, referring to Nokia's discontinued operating system and the fading Canadian smartphone pioneer.

If Notch actually said that, then I would have no idea why he would sell Mojang. He knows it will be a failure yet he supposedly wants to go through with it? They are both idiots in this manner.

So, Microsoft had the need to let 18,000 employees go, yet they have $2 billion laying around to buy up a game dev?  :huh:

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

This could be entirely coincidental but about this time last year Notch cancelled 0x10c, could it be because he did not want to have to give it to Microsoft? I mean, it makes sense right? He could revive the project and release it on his own independently after the Microsoft acquisition especially since all the reports so far have him leaving Mojang afterwards.  

So apparently Minecraft is worth more than Oculus. LOL.

WTH? Who still plays minecraft? I guess some people do but is that worth 2.5 BILLION dollars?

that's $2,500,000,000. Dafuq?

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Wait, according to your second update, Microsoft is buying Mojang to boost Windows Phone sales?

Are they that fucking stupid?

If Notch actually said that, then I would have no idea why he would sell Mojang. He knows it will be a failure yet he supposedly wants to go through with it? They are both idiots in this manner.

How is Notch the idiot here. He's a diabolical genius. Giving away Mojang for two and a half billion, when he knows it won't do a thing for Windows Phone sales. :P

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.