ASUS Reveals Upcoming 4K Monitor

Glad to see the ball is starting to get rolling on this 4K thing...

Still it'll cost like $4000 no doubt

4K for $1500 and it's 32"? No thank you...call back when it's under $500 and it's under 27", thanks.

Because it's stupid having a huge 32" monitor on your desk. 30" and above(in my opinion) is a TV in my eyes. Also, what if I want 3 of them? I'd much rather have 3 24" monitors as opposed to 3 32" monitors.

Well then you're lucky and can get that now... I really don't get why 32 inch is so crazy and having three 24 inch monitors is normal :p

Have you ever worked on a high resolution monitor? Trust me it's awesome.

Having three of those would be crazy but you don't need three, one is already as much realatstate as FOUR 1080p monitors.

My dream desk would have one of these and a landscape 1080p auxiliary display. 

You'd need some pretty heft graphics horsepower to drive games at this resolution, even without AA. But I guess if you can afford good graphics cards you can afford this beautiful monitor.. :)

16:10 would indeed have been a better choice! I'll stick with my 27".

Corsair 900D |ASUS  Maximus V Formula | i7 3770K | 16 GB Dominator Platinum 1600Mhz | Asus GTX 780 |

Intel 520 Series 180Gb SSD | BeQuiet 860W PSU | GPU, CPU, MOBO watercooled with 2x480 rads, 12 BitFenix Spectre Pro total | Acrylic Tubing from Primochill | Icemodz RGB-LEDs | Aquacomputer pump, flow control and fan/liquid control | 27" Dell U2711

Build-Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/88573-the-red-beast-900d-780-liquidcooled-first-build/

You'd need some pretty heft graphics horsepower to drive games at this resolution, even without AA. But I guess if you can afford good graphics cards you can afford this beautiful monitor.. :)

4K has 4 times the pixel density of a single 1080p so it's basically 4 times more demanding than 1080p or around 25% more demanding than 3x1080p (5760x1080).

So pretty demanding but not as demanding as having 3x1600p (7680x1600) which is 33% even more demanding that 4K.

Don't feel I could enjoy a 32" monitor.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

I did some pixel density calculations and this is what I got using the most common screen sizes and their respective resolutions:

24" 1080p - 91 PPI

27" 1440p - 108 PPI

30" 1600p - 100 PPI

This one is ASUS' 4K:

31.5" 2160p - 139 PPI

Looks like it has the biggest pixel density jump so far for desktop monitors. Still, nowhere near to smartphones and ultrabooks though.

What 4K would be like on a 24" screen for kicks:

183 PPI

Wtb smartphones with 4k res just for the sake of making tv's look like crap

That would look ridiculous! (in a good sense xD)

You couldn't even read subtitles on that! :P

thats why have option to set dpi in first place.

Yeah that is true, but I still see no point in having 4k on mobile phones. 1st make it available in 23' monitors, they are really lacking in resolution!

Well then you're lucky and can get that now... I really don't get why 32 inch is so crazy and having three 24 inch monitors is normal :P

Have you ever worked on a high resolution monitor? Trust me it's awesome.

Having three of those would be crazy but you don't need three, one is already as much realatstate as FOUR 1080p monitors.

My dream desk would have one of these and a landscape 1080p auxiliary display. 

You obviously don't understand what I'm talking about.

In 10 years from now, 4K will be the norm(hopefully) and there will be monitors at 24" with a 4K display and people WILL have 3 or more of them, possibly doing Eyefinity with a AMD 13970.

It's better to create products for all around usage. I don't have a use for a 32" 4K TV, but I do have a use for a 24" 4K Monitor.

Wtb smartphones with 4k res just for the sake of making tv's look like crap

I can't wait for my 4K watch.

I'd drop $1400 on one of these...maybe more if I saw one on display :) or unboxed by Linus...but then again I'd have to spend another $1000 on a PC to fully use it!

Can't wait until these become the norm.  If you have the money please buy!  It'll help drive the competition up and the price down.  

A lot, if not most of our systems probably wouldn't be able handle 4k resolution, lest not playable framerates.

for gaming yea u might need titan slis to get decent frames but at least its an incentive to make powerful GPU's that would be supported. nvidia and AMD will have to step up their game now. im guessing when nvidia does an 880 that it would be a decent experience

For those of you discussing the pixel density, this 31.5" 3820x2160p display is effectively 'retina' quality, even for us eagle-eyed users. It is a desktop monitor and the user will naturally sit farther away from it than one's laptop/tablet/phone displays (even if you try to sit close to it). The ONLY reasons you'd want a 24" 4K monitor is to use it on a smaller desk or prefer the smaller backlight (though you will sit closer to the 24" anyways, effectively minimizing this change).

Either way, this monitor will look brilliant compared to any 1080p/1440p displays and is well worth a high price (think 4 x 1080p IGZO monitors...4 x $350 = $1400). 

I'm hoping Asus reveals built-in software to enhance usability like Sharp showed on their 4K monitor (split screen into 2, 3 or 4 sections to have multiple windows open).

for gaming yea u might need titan slis to get decent frames but at least its an incentive to make powerful GPU's that would be supported. nvidia and AMD will have to step up their game now. im guessing when nvidia does an 880 that it would be a decent experience

I'd guess we'd probably need at lest (minimum) 6 GB if not 8 or 10 GB of VRAM for decent playable framerate.

I'd guess we'd probably need at lest (minimum) 6 GB if not 8 or 10 GB of VRAM for decent playable framerate.

6 seems like the minimum to me 8 is great 10 is for thse 2 games that destroy VRAM

You would be surprised what you can attain even with just a single 680.

Main Rig: i5 760 @ 4.0GHZ Asus p7p55d-e, 8GB Corsair Vengance @ 1600 Mhz. Samsung BX2231 X 3 (5760x1080)

EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked +150/+500, 128GB Crucial M4, 1TB WD Black

Xonar DX, AudioEngine A2, Astro Mixamp, AudioTechnica ath-m50 & ath-ad700

http://www.asus.com/News/L9xTPmmMwTlPMq5l 2160p, 140 PPI, 10-bit IGZO panel, 176 degree viewing angle, 8 ms response time.

Didn't Linus always want one? I hope he gets one (this one). Would love to see 4K benchmarks.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

I use a 32" TV as my main monitor, so I'd love to upgrade from 720p to 4k  ^_^

On the other hand, I probably can't afford it, so I don't have a vote to cast. :(

I use a 32" TV as my main monitor, so I'd love to upgrade from 720p to 4k   ^_^

On the other hand, I probably can't afford it, so I don't have a vote to cast. :(

I use an 32" 1080p tv to this Monitor would be the Best thing then i don't have to use AA ever again.

I think I will get one Next Year togethter with a Maxwell GPU..

RTX2070OC 

That's a lot better than sharp's $5500 price-tag