4K Blu-ray discs arriving in 2015 to try fight streaming media

Dietrichw

All the matters is that the discs and burning process is the same which according to this press release it should be. 

Yeah that's basically what I was wondering, I just hope the discs actually stay the same and they don't come up with something new. I still wish they'd give people the option to get, say, a 4-disc version in h264 so older players can read it too though.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Can you fix all the spelling mistakes please? It's Blu-Ray, not "Blue-Ray". You can see that in the giant mega sized picture you've got there :P

My opinion is that yes, it's a bit confusing, but as long as they brand it properly with "Blu-ray UHD/4K" then it should be fine. It's like HDMI 2.0 or 3D. Your device needs to be compatible, look for the matching UHD symbols.

While the introduction of Cinavia is annoying, Blu-Ray is definitely not BS. Name any other method to get high quality, high bit-rate HD content reliably? Streaming compresses the video higher then I'm willing to sacrifice. Plus MOST people don't have super fast Internet connections. 1080p is a struggle for most people still - let alone 4K streams.

Right here. I buy every movie on Blu-Ray, then rip to my Media Server in super high quality glory.

I highly doubt your player will work with this. As the article stated, h.265 is much more processor heavy. Current blu-ray players just won't have the juice to decode it.

Can you explain how they are a waste of money? I realize that not everyone appreciates the higher quality that Blu-Ray offers over streaming, but it's definitely a noticeable difference.

Releasing 4K discs GIVES us 4K content. I don't understand your confusion. This will help drive 4K TV adoption. Most people aren't buying 4K TV's because there's little to no content for them. This helps solve that problem. About damn time too. They'll release remastered 4K Blu-Ray movies, you can be sure of that.

HDD's aren't reliable either to be honest. And Blu-Ray discs generally have a very good anti-scratch coating on them. Furthermore, all you need to do is rip them to your computer, and store the discs as a physical backup. They won't be replaced by USB flash drives. If anything, physical media will eventually die out, and streaming will become the norm. As for the speed of USB's, that's completely unnecessary with video. Even a CD is fast enough to stream a movie off of it.

Agreed. While I do love Netflix and watch a lot of streams, any movies I enjoy, I will buy on Blu-ray and watch them in the highest quality possible.

Have you tried:

MakeMKV -> Watching in VLC?

Or to save HDD space:

MakeMKV -> Handbrake -> VLC

Also, watching the Blu-Ray movies straight off the disc on a computer - yeah using Paid software makes sense, as there are license fees that someone has to pay for. Just get TotalMedia Theatre from Arcsoft: http://www.arcsoft.com/totalmedia-theatre/

It goes on sale all the time for very low prices, and damnit that's one of the best media players out there, especially for disc/menu based navigation, 3D playback, etc.

But since I rip all my Blu-Ray discs onto my server, that's really not an issue (Though I have TotalMedia anyway just in case).

I'm not using Discs anymore already for years. I even removed dvd rom from my case. If I want to install something from the other device, USB just does the job well. Also HDDs are quite reliable comparing to Discs. I'm still using HDDs which are already 4-5 years old & they just work fine, what I can't say about discs. I had lots of moments, when I wanted to write something on disc (music or just random files) & writing didn't finish succesfully & disc was corrupted. I had lots of such cases & also those cases when I just inserted disc & dvd rom couldn't open it. I'm pretty sure they are past technology & will be replaced by USBs in the future.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

Yeah that's basically what I was wondering, I just hope the discs actually stay the same and they don't come up with something new. I still wish they'd give people the option to get, say, a 4-disc version in h264 so older players can read it too though.

4 disc version? oh you mean multiple discs for a single movie. people wouldnt want they they hate anytime there is more than one for the main movie. Also its not just the H.264 its also the 4K its self since even HDMI 1.4a can only do 4K@30hz and doesnt support ann the new stuff they claim 4K BDs will. Also I really doubt most peoples BD players or TVs have anything newer than HDMI 1.3 in most cases.

My interconnection sucks 550kb (kilobye)/s, which means I can watch youtube at 720p, but not 1080p. Streaming is not really an option for me. getting DVD's and Blu-Rays is too cumbersome, having to order them and then stay home so they can arrive and  I want to watch on my tablet or main rig, and discs are not suitable for that. For my movie and series needs I've always refered to TPB or theaters, for the better movies. 

And TV is just not enjoyable to watch, the screen is too far away, repositioning it is not really convient, I haven't actively watched anything on TV for a few years now, just side glancing at whatever my siblings or parents are watching.

Bluray is only good for high gb programs and games imo

It seems to me that you're essentially reaping the benefits of Blu-ray without paying for them or using them yourself. Where do you think all those high quality HD movies on TPB come from? They are either direct Blu-ray rips, or re-encodes of direct blu-ray rips.

To solve your issues with watching on a tablet, you only need to do the following: Buy a blu-ray, rip it to your computer using MakeMKV, then if necessary, re-encode lower quality versions using something like Handbrake for devices that can't handle the raw MKV file (Most newer tablets and phones should be able to handle it).

If you remove Blu-ray from the equation, then your TPB rips will be gone too - replaced with shittier, more highly compressed streams or digital downloads.

Blu-Ray has a ton of sound files in them, take 1080p, on 25gb bluray more than 50% is sound. For people with proper home theatre surround systems streaming doesnt afford you the same quality.

100% agreed here. TrueHD or DTS-HD MA is fucking amazing. And I don't even have that great of a sound system (Logitech z5300 connected to an HTPC). Even with my relatively low-end setup, I can tell the difference. Now imagine I had a $2000 sound system with proper HDMI passthru? That'd be even more kickass. Most streams have 2.0 sound, with highly compressed 5.1 at best.

I consider Blu-rays nothing more than physical backups of my digital copies, haha. The thing I hate most is you buy a BR and they come with adverts and trailers which you often can't skip, and then they play a "copyright warning" notice too. Fuck that, I just extract the video stream, audio tracks and subtitles I want package it in a nice MKV container and slap it on my NAS.

And back to the subject at hand, streaming is always gonna win this battle. H.265 will cut down on bandwidth costs for 1080 content and enable easier 4k streaming too. Digital distribution is only going to get better, and can adapt much quicker than all other platforms.

You should rip it to your NAS. That's the best way to view Blu-Ray's :) As for h.265 winning over blu-rays, I don't think we're there yet. Most major cities are still not fully fiber, let alone smaller cities or countries with bad backbones.

I like Blu Ray I just don't like how there's an artificial price minimum on decent Blu Ray movies, $30 for a movie and $70 for a TV show season is bunk.

Man wherever you're buying your Blu-Rays... just stop! I get mine mostly through Amazon. Their regular prices are decent, but they have sales CONSTANTLY that are amazing. I picked up All 8 Harry Potter movies, the LOTR Extended trilogy, Alien & Predator Collection, the Planet of the Apes complete collection, Firefly the Complete Series, and a few other random movies, all in Blu-Ray, for $150 CAD, shipping and taxes included. That's over 20 freaking movies. Each movie averaged under $10. You can pick up seasons of TV on Blu-Ray for $20 a season (Or less sometimes). You just gotta watch out for those sales man.

The people who say DIE BLU RAY DIE probably have never had the pleasure of a proper home theatre with a proper TV or projector and actually enjoyed the image quality that a Blu Ray disc can afford and sure, ripping to a 4TB drive is what I do anyways but for many people, they'll buy those few movies to enjoy at home and I still do that. 

Bond 50th all in Blu-Ray, all on my 130" screen, nothing quite beats how awesome a viewing experience it is and until streaming replaces that we are "stuck" with BR discs and BR rips to HDDs. So I say, deal with it. 

100% agree. I have my server loaded with 12TB (9TB Usable since it's a software RAID 5 like setup) of HDD space for all the HD glory of my Blu-Ray collection.

It's funny how this forum is all about the premier gaming experience with 60+ fps, 4K resolution, full quality and AA, etc.  But when it comes to watching movies, DVD quality and highly compressed streaming is just fine.

Agreed. People are picky about certain things, but then just "don't give a shit". It's funny that many who complain about discs and think streaming is better, are probably some of the same that complain that you no longer "own" your games and that online DRM is "shitty".

True. It also doesn't help that people think resolution is the only metric for image quality. On average a 1080p stream is 2 Megabits per second. An average 1080p Blu-Ray is around 30 Megabits per second. Even though its the same resolution the image quality is far superior. The same thing applies to the audio quality as well. Then when you consider that 4K is a quadrupiling of resolution compared to 1080p... Blu-Ray is going to be the way to go for 4K content especially considering how horrible internet speeds are in North America.

Agreed. Blu-ray video has a higher colour depth as well. But bit-rate is so incredibly important. You just look at TPB, the most popular torrent is ALWAYS the YIFY 1.5GB (or less) 1080p rips. They're watchable, but they're crap. People just see 1080p and don't care about the rest.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I wonder if at some point we'll get movies in sd or microsd cards.

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

You should rip it to your NAS. That's the best way to view Blu-Ray's :) As for h.265 winning over blu-rays, I don't think we're there yet. Most major cities are still not fully fiber, let alone smaller cities or countries with bad backbones.

Yepp, I just meant in the long term, the way I see it the adoption of devices like Apple TV / Roku / Fire TV / Android TV will soon pack the processing power or hardware decoders required for h.265, which will not only lower [halve?] the bandwidth required for 1080p streaming, but will also make 4k streaming a practical possibility for anybody with fairly decent internet. I just see the trend continuing to move away from physical media. And I think streaming services will start to close the gap in quality over the next few years, provided that is they are allowed to.

I'll buy something on Blu Ray if I really like it.

The quality of Blu Ray is completely incomparable to streaming services... you're not going to get remotely blu ray quality movies through streaming services for a long time. And it's not just picture quality... Until Netflix has DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD I'll keep using Blu Rays too.

Any way, I am excited for this... Even with HEVC 4K content through Netflix is going to be much lesser quality than Blu Ray can provide. To see a beautiful, clean 4K source...

Is it not true that this new standard will use BD-XL discs, too? I'd imagine they would...

I mean I guess? But I'm talking regular retail price. If people only buy stuff when it's 70% off then it should just be 70% off. I'M LOOKING AT YOU SEARS AND CANADIAN TIRE.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I wonder if at some point we'll get movies in sd or microsd cards.

Possible, but I doubt it, simply because look at the retail cost of an SD card. A 32GB one is still upwards of $30+, more so if you want an actual high speed card, like Class 10. And that wouldn't even fit every 1080p Blu-Ray quality movie, let alone 4K. You'd probably need a 64GB SD card to fit 4K movies that are the same quality as Blu-Ray, even if they are in H.265. It costs them pennies to made a blu-ray disc, compared to the higher cost of SD media.

But you never know. It could work with a "Redbox" style system, where you rent a movie that comes on an SD card, and then they re-use the cards continuously.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I mean I guess? But I'm talking regular retail price. If people only buy stuff when it's 70% off then it should just be 70% off. I'M LOOKING AT YOU SEARS AND CANADIAN TIRE.

The problem is artificial inflation by the retailers.Walmart can afford to sell you that Blu-Ray at $30 a pop, even if they could sell it to you for $10 instead.

Just look at all the "Bargin Bin" prices. Even Walmart has good deals on Blu-Rays, with many being 2 for $10 or 2 for $15, or bins where any movie in the bin is $9.99, and so on. Granted these aren't new releases, but even the new releases can be had on sale for super cheap from the likes of Amazon.

As for the talking regular retail price - well if we consider that - then we might as well just give up and say "Consoles are a better deal". It's absolutely bullcrap - consoles are way overpriced in games. But the REASON they are overpriced is because we take Steam Sales for granted. We as PC gamers don't consider the retail price of a game. We instead consider the inevitable 50% off or 75% off Steam Sales. You can get comparable deals online for Blu-Rays in both Movie and TV shows.

-snip-

I should clarify, I don't dl blu-ray rips, because they are not worth the extra time it takes to download, I can dl a 720p heavily compressed 1Gb rip in 1 hour, a 10Gb Bluray rip (or higher) cost me as many hours as it is gigs. 

I simply dont't care enough for the picture quality, I know 4k is more beautiful, and the bitrate helps with the colour depth and all that. You are very right in that aspect, and I have indeed never watched something on a really good setup, but well 720p rips will do, since I mostly have the movie on my second screen (which is 1280*1024) or tablet (used to be a Surface RT, so a 720p (ish)  screen, so the res never bothered me, and I generally don't care too much for color depth (Don't watch cam's nor 480p's though) 

Ripping a bluray, then putting it on my DIY Nas would be too much of a hassle, since I don't even have a bluray player.

When I see a good reason to switch to bluray, or whatever standard, then I will, but currently the extra effort that it requirs simply doesn't justify the extra quality, at least for me (perhaps if I had a really good setup, with an IPS 4k Monitor and surround sound headphones it would justify, but currently I have neither).

And I should say that I don't watch too many movies either, and when I start watching more I need to up my storage since I currently only have 1TB of nas space and then a 2Tb extra station.

Also I don't think streaming is so awesome either, because, as you mention correctly, the quality is so much poorer, and streaming simply is not possible for me. 

Bluray is nice if you need the extra quality and don't mind more effort, but for me it just isn't that good

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Don't care. I'll stress the crap out of my connection then.

Blu-ray is such a BS system.

Anyone still uses physical discs? lol

Discs aren't reliable. They can be broken easily, or get damaged during writing, also they are more vulnerable to physical damage. Personally I think, in the future they will be wiped out entirely & replaced by USB flash drives, which are better & more comfortable & also faster. I can install windows 8.1 on my PC which takes only 4 minutes while on Disc it could take longer time. In short, I see them as a past technology like cassetes.

Blu-rays are reliable. They can not really be broken that easily, unless you really don't give a shit about your stuff. 

I love physical movies. This is amazing news for me. I've been waiting for this for a long time. I have an htpc with hundreds of ripped blu-rays on it, in it's original quality. This means that we will get 4K movies on blu-ray. I was really getting kinda scared that streaming would be replace discs for good. 

I really don't agree with Linus. Digital distribution isn't the best way for me. I want the best quality, own the movies/music myself and not have to depend on my internet connection and a service.

Blu-rays FTW!!!!!

Don't bother with streaming. If I wanted a hideously compressed piece of crap I would have stuck with VHS.

Amen to that brother!!

I should clarify, I don't dl blu-ray rips, because they are not worth the extra time it takes to download, I can dl a 720p heavily compressed 1Gb rip in 1 hour, a 10Gb Bluray rip (or higher) cost me as many hours as it is gigs. 

I simply dont't care enough for the picture quality, I know 4k is more beautiful, and the bitrate helps with the colour depth and all that. You are very right in that aspect, and I have indeed never watched something on a really good setup, but well 720p rips will do, since I mostly have the movie on my second screen (which is 1280*1024) or tablet (used to be a Surface RT, so a 720p (ish)  screen, so the res never bothered me, and I generally don't care too much for color depth (Don't watch cam's nor 480p's though) 

Ripping a bluray, then putting it on my DIY Nas would be too much of a hassle, since I don't even have a bluray player.

When I see a good reason to switch to bluray, or whatever standard, then I will, but currently the extra effort that it requirs simply doesn't justify the extra quality, at least for me (perhaps if I had a really good setup, with an IPS 4k Monitor and surround sound headphones it would justify, but currently I have neither).

And I should say that I don't watch too many movies either, and when I start watching more I need to up my storage since I currently only have 1TB of nas space and then a 2Tb extra station.

Also I don't think streaming is so awesome either, because, as you mention correctly, the quality is so much poorer, and streaming simply is not possible for me. 

Bluray is nice if you need the extra quality and don't mind more effort, but for me it just isn't that good

Oh I understand your point. I was just pointing out that the 720p rip you download more then likely came from a Blu-Ray rip :P

But frankly, I really appreciate the thought you put into your response. You've obviously put a lot of thought into it, and you've laid out your thoughts very clearly :)

I'm not saying everyone should use Blu-Ray discs. Obviously some people just don't care enough or have a good enough setup to notice. I'm just defending the statements made that blu-ray is crap or a waste of money or should die, etc.

4 disc version? oh you mean multiple discs for a single movie. people wouldnt want they they hate anytime there is more than one for the main movie. Also its not just the H.264 its also the 4K its self since even HDMI 1.4a can only do 4K@30hz and doesnt support ann the new stuff they claim 4K BDs will. Also I really doubt most peoples BD players or TVs have anything newer than HDMI 1.3 in most cases.

That's true. Personally I'd be fine with a multiple disc version if it meant not having to change the player ^^ but I can see some people having a problem with it. Unfortunately a lot of people still don't have a blu ray player, let alone a 4k tv, so I'm a bit afraid that they're pushing the first movies to market a bit too soon.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1. 100% agreed here. TrueHD or DTS-HD MA is fucking amazing. And I don't even have that great of a sound system (Logitech z5300 connected to an HTPC). Even with my relatively low-end setup, I can tell the difference. Now imagine I had a $2000 sound system with proper HDMI passthru? That'd be even more kickass. Most streams have 2.0 sound, with highly compressed 5.1 at best.

2. Agreed. People are picky about certain things, but then just "don't give a shit". It's funny that many who complain about discs and think streaming is better, are probably some of the same that complain that you no longer "own" your games and that online DRM is "shitty".

3. Agreed. Blu-ray video has a higher colour depth as well. But bit-rate is so incredibly important. You just look at TPB, the most popular torrent is ALWAYS the YIFY 1.5GB (or less) 1080p rips. They're watchable, but they're crap. People just see 1080p and don't care about the rest.

I'm agreeing so much I have to keep this going, I'll break it into 3 points. 

1. DTS is sex. It really is. If you have that kind of sound system with properly setup (and calibrated) speakers and a powerful receiver/receiver and amps; you will NEVER go back to a crappy setup ever again. HD Audio is a thing, its why theatres spend what they do on sound systems. You get immersed, and you love it. 

2. This forum (and most of the internet) are full of hypocrites. Its okay to watch shitty rips of movies in pathetic resolutions and bit rates but somehow its blasphemy to play on a console when they are doing roughly the same thing console users do - sub par quality in exchange for convenience. But hey, lets ignore that level of hypocrisy. These are guys who spend thousands on rigs with water cooling and i7s and 780 Tis and SSDs, yet they become cheap bastards when it comes to proper media. Its sad. 

3. I love YIFY for when I just need something on the go. Honestly, those 750mb-1.5gb files are beyond acceptable for device streaming at home. Either I re-encode my master files for those bit rates or I just suck up the bandwidth for it, its the same thing. But I damn well know that YIFY is not the end all be all. Very few of those torrent providers are. They are a convenience and nothing more. I hate people who think they are some glorious standard to uphold. 

To combat  streaming?  I think ISPs are doing a great job at that by themselves.  Anyway, I prefer physical media. Can't wait (even though I won't go 4K for a long time. 

I'm agreeing so much I have to keep this going, I'll break it into 3 points. 

1. DTS is sex. It really is. If you have that kind of sound system with properly setup (and calibrated) speakers and a powerful receiver/receiver and amps; you will NEVER go back to a crappy setup ever again. HD Audio is a thing, its why theatres spend what they do on sound systems. You get immersed, and you love it. 

2. This forum (and most of the internet) are full of hypocrites. Its okay to watch shitty rips of movies in pathetic resolutions and bit rates but somehow its blasphemy to play on a console when they are doing roughly the same thing console users do - sub par quality in exchange for convenience. But hey, lets ignore that level of hypocrisy. These are guys who spend thousands on rigs with water cooling and i7s and 780 Tis and SSDs, yet they become cheap bastards when it comes to proper media. Its sad. 

3. I love YIFY for when I just need something on the go. Honestly, those 750mb-1.5gb files are beyond acceptable for device streaming at home. Either I re-encode my master files for those bit rates or I just suck up the bandwidth for it, its the same thing. But I damn well know that YIFY is not the end all be all. Very few of those torrent providers are. They are a convenience and nothing more. I hate people who think they are some glorious standard to uphold. 

Lmfao. Seriously I died a little from laughing at that. I agree 100% HD audio is so fucking awesome.

As for the YIFY torrents, I agree they're very impressive for their bit-rate, but they're still pretty shitty :P I think the [PublicHD] encodes are some of the best. Very similar to what I use when I rip my own blu-rays to my media server. They use more compression, but it's fairly close. The YIFY ones are quite good for mobile devices though. I mean if you're watching a movie on a 5" screen, then you're obviously not that concerned with quality at that moment :P

Can you explain how they are a waste of money? I realize that not everyone appreciates the higher quality that Blu-Ray offers over streaming, but it's definitely a noticeable difference.

I download/Stream in 4K man, get with the times :P

Or I just go to the theater.

Processor: AMD FX8320 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO 2.0 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz

Graphics: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair Carbine 500R Drives: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD & Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD

Lmfao. Seriously I died a little from laughing at that. I agree 100% HD audio is so fucking awesome.

As for the YIFY torrents, I agree they're very impressive for their bit-rate, but they're still pretty shitty :P I think the [PublicHD] encodes are some of the best. Very similar to what I use when I rip my own blu-rays to my media server. They use more compression, but it's fairly close. The YIFY ones are quite good for mobile devices though. I mean if you're watching a movie on a 5" screen, then you're obviously not that concerned with quality at that moment :P

Its just one of those things where if you know, you know. I was lucky enough that my dad cared about having a proper HT setup at one point, so our system always sounded so good to me whether in normal movie or gaming or for sports, things like that really add to the experience. 

But thats why I spend more money on HT related stuff than I do on computer stuff. I can have the bestest PC in the world, if I don't have the proper audio and visual interface then its all for nothing IMO

I'm not using Discs anymore already for years. I even removed dvd rom from my case. If I want to install something from the other device, USB just does the job well. Also HDDs are quite reliable comparing to Discs. I'm still using HDDs which are already 4-5 years old & they just work fine, what I can't say about discs. I had lots of moments, when I wanted to write something on disc (music or just random files) & writing didn't finish succesfully & disc was corrupted. I had lots of such cases & also those cases when I just inserted disc & dvd rom couldn't open it. I'm pretty sure they are past technology & will be replaced by USBs in the future.

Well in order to replace the Disc you need to be able to hold that much data in the same amount of space just as cheaply. Also for BDs they need to be as stupid simple to use and use as secure DRM. Basically is has to be as good as or better in every category, especially cost.

But 60fps is too "documentary", we need sub 30 for that cinamatic experience!

/s

Movies are still going to be 24

Because of it's DRM system. It's literally impossible to watch Blu-ray movies on my computer unless you have paid for software to go along with the Blu-ray drive.

So it's easier and cheaper to pirate the movies or you go the more expensive route and buy a Blu-ray player.

Literally every one let's you get a digital copy.

Yepp, I just meant in the long term, the way I see it the adoption of devices like Apple TV / Roku / Fire TV / Android TV will soon pack the processing power or hardware decoders required for h.265, which will not only lower [halve?] the bandwidth required for 1080p streaming, but will also make 4k streaming a practical possibility for anybody with fairly decent internet. I just see the trend continuing to move away from physical media. And I think streaming services will start to close the gap in quality over the next few years, provided that is they are allowed to.

It can theoretically compress roughly ~50% the size of H.264 while keeping teh same quality. As I said before though you have to remember that its still 4x the pixels as 1080p so it will still take at least 2x as much as a 1080p stream encoded with H.264. I dont think were going to see decent quality wide spread 4K streaming for quite some time. The fact that a good portion of people cant stream 1080p doesnt help and the fact that not every even has 1080p currently. HD is just about everywhere now at ~720p which applies to most laptop, cheap HDTV's of a few years ago and lower end smartphones and tablets.

That's true. Personally I'd be fine with a multiple disc version if it meant not having to change the player ^^ but I can see some people having a problem with it. Unfortunately a lot of people still don't have a blu ray player, let alone a 4k tv, so I'm a bit afraid that they're pushing the first movies to market a bit too soon.

Problem is that without content why would you buy a 4K TV? Which is the issue werer having now with semi-reasonable 4K TV prices.

Its just one of those things where if you know, you know. I was lucky enough that my dad cared about having a proper HT setup at one point, so our system always sounded so good to me whether in normal movie or gaming or for sports, things like that really add to the experience. 

But thats why I spend more money on HT related stuff than I do on computer stuff. I can have the bestest PC in the world, if I don't have the proper audio and visual interface then its all for nothing IMO

I dont spend more on Home Theater system since I use a bunch of old or used stuff when it comes to speakers but a nice HTPC must accompany it all!

Blu-rays are reliable. They can not really be broken that easily, unless you really don't give a shit about your stuff. 

I love physical movies. This is amazing news for me. I've been waiting for this for a long time. I have an htpc with hundreds of ripped blu-rays on it, in it's original quality. This means that we will get 4K movies on blu-ray. I was really getting kinda scared that streaming would be replace discs for good.

Off topic question, but, what do you do with the discs after you have ripped them? Put them in a CD binder or do you have a show piece for all of them?

Literally every one let's you get a digital copy.

So then I might as well buy the cheaper digital copy off of Amazon or wherever they would sell one. Why buy a Blu-ray movie just to get a digital download that more than likely has DRM on top of it as well.