4K Blu-ray discs arriving in 2015 to try fight streaming media

Dietrichw

i hope there will be a remastered version of the 5th element barmy.gif

Mmmmm Leelooo  in 4K :D

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Blu-ray won't be replaced until the entire world has affordable access to Fiber internet. 

Where I live there only is fiber(and for real cheap,like $10/month)...but no streaming services.

So...we pirate everything.Well...almost.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Mmmmm Leelooo  in 4K :D

multipass in 4K   :P

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Nice, I like 4k

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

nope

i just play it off my PS3

got it connected to my receiver

I consider Blu-rays nothing more than physical backups of my digital copies, haha. The thing I hate most is you buy a BR and they come with adverts and trailers which you often can't skip, and then they play a "copyright warning" notice too. Fuck that, I just extract the video stream, audio tracks and subtitles I want package it in a nice MKV container and slap it on my NAS.

And back to the subject at hand, streaming is always gonna win this battle. H.265 will cut down on bandwidth costs for 1080 content and enable easier 4k streaming too. Digital distribution is only going to get better, and can adapt much quicker than all other platforms.

I like Blu Ray I just don't like how there's an artificial price minimum on decent Blu Ray movies, $30 for a movie and $70 for a TV show season is bunk.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

The people who say DIE BLU RAY DIE probably have never had the pleasure of a proper home theatre with a proper TV or projector and actually enjoyed the image quality that a Blu Ray disc can afford and sure, ripping to a 4TB drive is what I do anyways but for many people, they'll buy those few movies to enjoy at home and I still do that. 

Bond 50th all in Blu-Ray, all on my 130" screen, nothing quite beats how awesome a viewing experience it is and until streaming replaces that we are "stuck" with BR discs and BR rips to HDDs. So I say, deal with it. 

It's funny how this forum is all about the premier gaming experience with 60+ fps, 4K resolution, full quality and AA, etc.  But when it comes to watching movies, DVD quality and highly compressed streaming is just fine.

Main rig: i7 3770K @ 4.54, Sapphire R9 290, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Mushkin Redline 2133, Lian Li PC-P50R, Seasonic 860xp Platinum, Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB

freeNAS server: AMD Athlon II 170u 20W, 5 x 3TB WD Red in raid-z1 (12 TB)

media centre: AMD A10-5700, crucial M4 (boot), running XBMC,4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD green + 2TB green in FlexRAID (17 TB)

4k lel

We DONT have TV's monitor or 4K content yet, why would they release 4K discs. 4K discs with 1080p content onthem?

We have all of those things. "lel"

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

The people who say DIE BLU RAY DIE probably have never had the pleasure of a proper home theatre with a proper TV or projector and actually enjoyed the image quality that a Blu Ray disc can afford and sure, ripping to a 4TB drive is what I do anyways but for many people, they'll buy those few movies to enjoy at home and I still do that. 

Bond 50th all in Blu-Ray, all on my 130" screen, nothing quite beats how awesome a viewing experience it is and until streaming replaces that we are "stuck" with BR discs and BR rips to HDDs. So I say, deal with it. 

True. It also doesn't help that people think resolution is the only metric for image quality. On average a 1080p stream is 2 Megabits per second. An average 1080p Blu-Ray is around 30 Megabits per second. Even though its the same resolution the image quality is far superior. The same thing applies to the audio quality as well. Then when you consider that 4K is a quadrupiling of resolution compared to 1080p... Blu-Ray is going to be the way to go for 4K content especially considering how horrible internet speeds are in North America.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

I hope my blue ray burner will work with these. I'm NOT upgrading my whole optical media ecosystem again for a software change.

The disc it self is the same. They are just using the 4 layer ones which a newer drive should already be able to handle. The main change is the codec.

I consider Blu-rays nothing more than physical backups of my digital copies, haha. The thing I hate most is you buy a BR and they come with adverts and trailers which you often can't skip, and then they play a "copyright warning" notice too. Fuck that, I just extract the video stream, audio tracks and subtitles I want package it in a nice MKV container and slap it on my NAS.

And back to the subject at hand, streaming is always gonna win this battle. H.265 will cut down on bandwidth costs for 1080 content and enable easier 4k streaming too. Digital distribution is only going to get better, and can adapt much quicker than all other platforms.

hmm?

i never got any adverts or warning on my BR movies

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

The only issue I really see here is that HVEC is still not all that defined and its ecoders are relatively new. Not even half the features available in H.264 are available in it yet which mead these 4K BDs will likely be very low level. This means once the encoders progress there should be plenty of room open for recompression. I would just like to be able to use a decent encoder already and switch away from H.264 as this codec has been in development for forever. I really don't think its actually ready but with companies pushing 4K as the next best thing it is needed.

True. It also doesn't help that people think resolution is the only metric for image quality. On average a 1080p stream is 2 Megabits per second. An average 1080p Blu-Ray is around 30 Megabits per second. Even though its the same resolution the image quality is far superior. The same thing applies to the audio quality as well. Then when you consider that 4K is a quadrupiling of resolution compared to 1080p... Blu-Ray is going to be the way to go for 4K content especially considering how horrible internet speeds are in North America.

This. 4K streaming off YouTube alone is enough to cripple most internet connections and router abilities, and while routers will always get better our nations bandwidth isn't so fast to catch up. 

My 25 Megabit 1080p rips look far better than those 2-5 rips, because theres just more there. There is less missing compared to the original file, its sharper, the colours are better, more information is retained. You notice these things on a large screen. Its why I prefer having BD25/BD50 rips because thats the best way to retain that original quality, and if you have a media PC then having a 4TB (or multiple 4TBs) and a Blu-Ray drive is hardly out of the question.

Till such a time that streaming can handle the 25+ Megabit streams of a Blu Ray file (to say nothing of a 4K Blu Ray file) then physical media will stay alive. 

me

only way i can get DTS-HD or TrueHD

also in terms of quality i couldnt find a streaming service that offers the same thing as blu ray

True true, very true!

But you have to keep in mind most people couldn't care less because they stream their music or buy low quality loss files off of online store.

4k lel

We DONT have TV's monitor or 4K content yet, why would they release 4K discs. 4K discs with 1080p content onthem?

Umm you could have one right now if you wanted. They are available to purchase. The thing is that without content thee is almost no reason for the average consumer to buy a 4K TV. Also likely by the time this comes out 4K tvs will have gotten significantly cheaper once again.

Discs aren't reliable. They can be broken easily, or get damaged during writing, also they are more vulnerable to physical damage. Personally I think, in the future they will be wiped out entirely & replaced by USB flash drives, which are better & more comfortable & also faster. I can install windows 8.1 on my PC which takes only 4 minutes while on Disc it could take longer time. In short, I see them as a past technology like cassetes.

It'll be quite a while as it has to be as stupid proof and secure as a disc for it to replace it.

Because of it's DRM system. It's literally impossible to watch Blu-ray movies on my computer unless you have paid for software to go along with the Blu-ray drive.

So it's easier and cheaper to pirate the movies or you go the more expensive route and buy a Blu-ray player.

Well yea you pay for that when you get the player generally. The codecs to play the content on it on built into say windows for the most part but your correct its handling the DRM. But including that in the OS at a price increase for the very small percentage that use it just wouldn't be feasible or smart

Of course its cheaper to just pirate something. I mean your not paying for it. As for the bluray player I still prefer using my HTPC AMD there is a bunch of thing you can do with software that a standalone player can never hope to do.

All of my 2TB blu ray movies are pirated bdrips :)

And probably mostly done incorrectly or at least not fully correctly. But the discs and Lear how to encode them yourself.

I like Blu Ray I just don't like how there's an artificial price minimum on decent Blu Ray movies, $30 for a movie and $70 for a TV show season is bunk.

Price premium over what exactly? If its DVD there is actually a much higher cost in producing the BD it self. If anything the DVD is being sold for too much. Actually why do were even sell DVDs anymore I mean now finally most people have at least one HD TV. Oh wait I know most people still connect their old ass DVD player to their 1080p TV over non a digital connection that's why. And people wonder why BD never took off the ground like DVD did.

It's funny how this forum is all about the premier gaming experience with 60+ fps, 4K resolution, full quality and AA, etc. But when it comes to watching movies, DVD quality and highly compressed streaming is just fine.

Couldn't agree more.

hmm?

The on there the amount depends on which studio its from. Personally I like my Japanese anime BDS where you pop it in and the movie starts up.

hmm?

Really? The last one I played on a standard Blu-ray player I couldn't believe the myriad of shit I had to navigate through before the film started. I'll take Wreck-it Ralph as an example.

1. Language Menu

2. Walt Disney Pictures Home Entertainment Logo

3. Disney FastPlay Logo

4. The Little Mermaid 3D Trailer

5. Monsters University Teaser Trailer

6. Planes Trailer

7. all films and promotions

8. Disney DVD Logo

9. Warning Screen

10. The commentaries and interviews

11. FBI Anti-Piracy Warning/Homeland Security Investigations Special Agent Screen

12. Walt Disney Pictures Logo

13. Walt Disney Animation Studios Logo (Wreck-it-Ralph variant)

I got this from Youtube, it's for the DVD version but It's identical for the retail Blu-ray.

And probably mostly done incorrectly or at least not fully correctly. But the discs and Lear how to encode them yourself.

Even the standard scene rips are far superior quality to streamed content, or the sort of encodes you get from stores like iTunes / Google Play. But forget them, there are a huge amount of p2p groups that have highly experienced and skilled encoders. They are great at dialling in the x264 settings in order to get the most optimal quality to filesize ratio. These groups have a reputation for producing the highest quality encodes. The sad truth is that in terms of Movie digital distribution, the pirates are way ahead of the legal alternatives.

Doing the actual encoding yourself takes a lot of time, it's seriously CPU intensive, plus there's quite a lot of trial and error involved with dialling in the settings if you want to do them correctly. x264 has a bunch of tools you can use to optimise the compression, you're seriously looking at a huge time investment to do an encode properly. 

Really? The last one I played on a standard Blu-ray player I couldn't believe the myriad of shit I had to navigate through before the film started. I'll take Wreck-it Ralph as an example.

1. Language Menu

2. Walt Disney Pictures Home Entertainment Logo

3. Disney FastPlay Logo

4. The Little Mermaid 3D Trailer

5. Monsters University Teaser Trailer

6. Planes Trailer

7. all films and promotions

8. Disney DVD Logo

9. Warning Screen

10. The commentaries and interviews

11. FBI Anti-Piracy Warning/Homeland Security Investigations Special Agent Screen

12. Walt Disney Pictures Logo

13. Walt Disney Animation Studios Logo (Wreck-it-Ralph variant)

I got this from Youtube, it's for the DVD version but It's identical for the retail Blu-ray.

well Disney are assholes  :P

the movies i have are the Alien quadrilogy , Thing ,5th element and dark city

as an example when i put 5th element it shows languages chapters etc

i just select play or what ever then the movie just stars

maybe it because all my movies are old :|

People need to get one thing straight. Blu Ray isn't going anywhere. 

me

only way i can get DTS-HD or TrueHD

also in terms of quality i couldnt find a streaming service that offers the same thing as blu ray

This guy has nailed it on the head........... Pretty much every 4K streaming service uses compressed audio and video format. I for one can defiantly notice the difference in audio quality between DTS-HD on my Blu ray player and ACC or MP4 audio from a streaming service and I believe high audio quality is important for a great movie experience. I brought a 5.1 surround sound system before I brought a HDTV as I believed it to hold greater value in the movie experience than crisp picture quality. 

Because of it's DRM system. It's literally impossible to watch Blu-ray movies on my computer unless you have paid for software to go along with the Blu-ray drive.

So it's easier and cheaper to pirate the movies or you go the more expensive route and buy a Blu-ray player.

But lets not forget it's illegal (in most countries) too.........................

All of my 2TB blu ray movies are pirated bdrips :)

Where would you find these pirated Blu ray rips if there wasn't Blu ray in the first place for it to be ripped from??????????????? 

Cpu: Intel i5 4690k @3.5 Ghz*cooled by Corsair Hydro H105* | Case: NZXT H440 Black/Green | Motherbord: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK Black Edition Ram: Avexir Venom 16GB
Video Card: Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX980 4GB | Power Supply: Corsair TX850 | SSD: Samsung 500GB 850 Pro SSD: Samsung 500GB 840 Pro 
Monitor: ASUS 27" ROG Swift G-Sync 144mhz | Keyboard: Logitech G710+  | Mouse: Logitech G700s| Headset: Logitech G35 | Speakers: Logitech X530 5.1
NAS Set-up: Netgear ReadyNAS 104 "populated by 4 x 2TB Western Digital Red in RAID 6"

In Berlin at the IFA trade show the Blue-ray Disk Association is mostly done defining the new version of its physical media technology that can handle 4k content. The association will start licensing out the technology in the spring or summer 2015 along with new Blu-ray players to play the new version of Blu-ray. Along with 4k resolution video the new standard will offer higher dynamic range, color gamut, and even 4k at 60fps. The disks are pretty much identical with 50GB capacity but with the changes being how the data is written and read as it is now compressed in H.265/HEVC instead of the old H.264?AVC. HEVC takes more processing power to encode video giving the reason why people will need a new player as the decoding hardware was designed for the less demanding old codec on old Blue-ray players. This also might mean it can be possibly added as a software update to consoles that have the extra power already, and the new players should have backwards compatibility with old Blue-ray disks 

They need to rebrand this as it will get very confusing for consumers if you have two types of Blue-ray

Can you fix all the spelling mistakes please? It's Blu-Ray, not "Blue-Ray". You can see that in the giant mega sized picture you've got there :P

My opinion is that yes, it's a bit confusing, but as long as they brand it properly with "Blu-ray UHD/4K" then it should be fine. It's like HDMI 2.0 or 3D. Your device needs to be compatible, look for the matching UHD symbols.

Don't care. I'll stress the crap out of my connection then.

Blu-ray is such a BS system.

While the introduction of Cinavia is annoying, Blu-Ray is definitely not BS. Name any other method to get high quality, high bit-rate HD content reliably? Streaming compresses the video higher then I'm willing to sacrifice. Plus MOST people don't have super fast Internet connections. 1080p is a struggle for most people still - let alone 4K streams.

Anyone still uses physical discs? lol

Right here. I buy every movie on Blu-Ray, then rip to my Media Server in super high quality glory.

I hope my blue ray burner will work with these. I'm NOT upgrading my whole optical media ecosystem again for a software change.

I highly doubt your player will work with this. As the article stated, h.265 is much more processor heavy. Current blu-ray players just won't have the juice to decode it.

I'm going to be honest. I've never bought a blu-ray in my life (waste of money). Went straight from DVD to streaming media.

Can you explain how they are a waste of money? I realize that not everyone appreciates the higher quality that Blu-Ray offers over streaming, but it's definitely a noticeable difference.

4k lel

Releasing 4K discs GIVES us 4K content. I don't understand your confusion. This will help drive 4K TV adoption. Most people aren't buying 4K TV's because there's little to no content for them. This helps solve that problem. About damn time too. They'll release remastered 4K Blu-Ray movies, you can be sure of that.

Discs aren't reliable. They can be broken easily, or get damaged during writing, also they are more vulnerable to physical damage. Personally I think, in the future they will be wiped out entirely & replaced by USB flash drives, which are better & more comfortable & also faster. I can install windows 8.1 on my PC which takes only 4 minutes while on Disc it could take longer time. In short, I see them as a past technology like cassetes.

HDD's aren't reliable either to be honest. And Blu-Ray discs generally have a very good anti-scratch coating on them. Furthermore, all you need to do is rip them to your computer, and store the discs as a physical backup. They won't be replaced by USB flash drives. If anything, physical media will eventually die out, and streaming will become the norm. As for the speed of USB's, that's completely unnecessary with video. Even a CD is fast enough to stream a movie off of it.

Don't bother with streaming. If I wanted a hideously compressed piece of crap I would have stuck with VHS.

Agreed. While I do love Netflix and watch a lot of streams, any movies I enjoy, I will buy on Blu-ray and watch them in the highest quality possible.

Have you tried:

MakeMKV -> Watching in VLC?

Or to save HDD space:

MakeMKV -> Handbrake -> VLC

Also, watching the Blu-Ray movies straight off the disc on a computer - yeah using Paid software makes sense, as there are license fees that someone has to pay for. Just get TotalMedia Theatre from Arcsoft: http://www.arcsoft.com/totalmedia-theatre/

It goes on sale all the time for very low prices, and damnit that's one of the best media players out there, especially for disc/menu based navigation, 3D playback, etc.

But since I rip all my Blu-Ray discs onto my server, that's really not an issue (Though I have TotalMedia anyway just in case).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I can rent a HD movie (albeit lower quality) for like $6 new release. To get the same value I'd have to watch a Blu Ray like 5 times, which isn't going to happen.

Plus TV shows are free since I don't feel bad downloading them when I pay $120/mo for cable.

Yeah dvds are overpriced too.

Price premium over what exactly? If its DVD there is actually a much higher cost in producing the BD it self. If anything the DVD is being sold for too much. Actually why do were even sell DVDs anymore I mean now finally most people have at least one HD TV. Oh wait I know most people still connect their old ass DVD player to their 1080p TV over non a digital connection that's why. And people wonder why BD never took off the ground like DVD did.

Couldn't agree more.

The on there the amount depends on which studio its from. Personally I like my Japanese anime BDS where you pop it in and the movie starts up.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I highly doubt your player will work with this. As the article stated, h.265 is much more processor heavy. Current blu-ray players just won't have the juice to decode it.

I said burner ;) it's a usb burner that I use with my pc and I think an i7 can cope with h265 ^^

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I can rent a HD movie (albeit lower quality) for like $6 new release. To get the same value I'd have to watch a Blu Ray like 5 times, which isn't going to happen.

Plus TV shows are free since I don't feel bad downloading them when I pay $120/mo for cable.

Yeah dvds are overpriced too.

basicaly your not in the market to be buying DVDs and BDs then, as in your not the one they are trying to market/sell to. This is hows it kinda always been for movies and then there was the genius who though about selling older tv series and DVD boxsets and that took off.

I said burner ;) it's a usb burner that I use with my pc and I think an i7 can cope with h265 ^^

The burner wont care what the content on the disc is or even the format of the disc as that is all handeled by software on the PC. All the matters is that the discs and burning process is the same which according to this press release it should be. Last I heard about this though is that they basically had to use the quad layer discs. the reason being that H.265 can compress stuff up to about 50% the size that H.264 can (range from my understanding is more 40-60% ish projected). Either way 4K still have 4x the pixels that 1080p does not double so the storage needs to be twice as big (roughly).