Do customer reviews influence your purchase?

mlbguy4life

I'm sure everybody enjoys seeing product reviews, overviews and unboxings on Youtube, but what about the written customer reviews from retailer websites???  I'm sure that there is always gonna be a dud or a lemon out of a big pile of a certin product. But here latley I've read so many bad reviews about items not working or being DOA and about poor customer service after recieving a defective product, that it's really lowering my confidence about buying anything. I think that the reviews are biased towards negative reviews because if you get a defective product that your probably going to rant and rave about it, but if whatever you buy works properly , you'll probably just cary on with your business and not even take the time to post a review. Also I'm pretty sure that if you go to a website and it says that they have 12 reviews, that they have probably sold alot more than 12 items.  So yeah, basically, I really don't feel confident in buying anything computer related, because of the bad reviews, and on top of that , because of all of the bad customer service horror stories.....

What about you?????

CPU: i7 4790k OC'd @ 4.6 ghz COOLER: Corsair H105 (SP 120mm Quiet Edition Fans) MOBO: ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 RAM: Kingston Hyper Fury 16GB (2x8) 1866mhz

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB HDD: WD Blue 1TB GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750w 80+ Gold Fully Modular CASE: Fractal Arc Midi R2

OPTICAL DRIVE: Samsung DVD Burner OS: Win 7 64bit   Please do some research of your own before asking questions. Google and Youtube are your friend.

I'm sure everybody enjoys seeing product reviews, overviews and unboxings on Youtube, but what about the written customer reviews from retailer websites???  I'm sure that there is always gonna be a dud or a lemon out of a big pile of a certin product. But here latley I've read so many bad reviews about items not working or being DOA and about poor customer service after recieving a defective product, that it's really lowering my confidence about buying anything. I think that the reviews are biased towards negative reviews because if you get a defective product that your probably going to rant and rave about it, but if whatever you buy works properly , you'll probably just cary on with your business and not even take the time to post a review. Also I'm pretty sure that if you go to a website and it says that they have 12 reviews, that they have probably sold alot more than 12 items.  So yeah, basically, I really don't feel confident in buying anything computer related, because of the bad reviews, and on top of that , because of all of the bad customer service horror stories.....

What about you?????

I rarely go based on customer reviews, more often i look up reviews of big names (ttl, linus, elric and so on) and even then im still sketch for certain things but for the most part i just take the plunge and stick to reputable brands. I have yet to have any serious problems that i couldnt get warrantied and even got one thing replaced on warranty after i voided said warranty and had blatantly told them i did lol

Depends on the review. A negative review that looks to have been written by a 12 year old, or someone who knows little about PCs, no. A negative review by someone with proper spelling and grammar, who actually seems to know something? I'll take that into consideration.

Positive reviews are pretty much the same.

I completely ignore customer support stories, I'm one of those guys who will pay an extra $30 for an in-store warranty so I can just deal with them in person. CS people, with the exception of NCIX who are awesome wherever you are (So far), seem to be a lot more useful when you're able to hit them. Though that is true for many people.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

A lot of people give 1 star for a doa product and then forget to revise their review when they get a working piece of hardware or they just criticize the retailer instead of the product. Individual buyer reviews can be pretty unreliable so I just browse forums/youtube

Build Logs

Project "Oh No" | Ice Pack | Secondhand | MicroP

yea and no. My steps of research, Product website, Tech youtubers then newegg reviews then individual reviews from tech websites then finally forum opinions. All these stages have to pass before i buy something Im not familiar with. 

I will look at them to see a pattern, if there are 200 reviews of 500 total that say the LEDs died within a month I clearly can see that the product is something I probably want to avoid. However if the comments are more subjective then I still read them but I care less as its personal opinion. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

I take them into account but I don't base a purchase on them. I'll look around for video reviews and try and find reviews from reliable sources after looking at the customer reviews.

Depends, I mostly read a few of them, and if a flaw gets mentioned a lot / something I was worrying about, I'll get another product.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Depends of whether or not the review is well written by a highly educated individual.

A lot of the reviews on MyAnimeList are of a very high standard and indicate tertiary education levels, so I feel comfortable trusting them.

Head-fi also has a lot of really good user reviews, I like to trust those as well.

Some communities fare better than others due to the average intelligence levels of their users.

Also, I stay away from the reviews on sites that directly benefit from the reviews on that site, for logical reasons ;)

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

They're the only reviews I care about...

Edit: Beside Linus' of course

What about you?????

I look at both

I look at review like Linus, Anand, Toms Hardware etc for the technical details, what its specs are like, what its display is like, how it compares to other devices in its category or with other similar kinds of things

Customer reviews are great to figure out the overall experience, from packaging, delivery, customer service and perceived value

There is a massive dichotomy between a tech pro review, and your average joe

For example,.... an $80 tablet, to Linus, would be a massive pile of poo, with terrible build quality and low performance... and he would just  be like "compared to the iPad or surface pro this thing is poo" ... this is useful information sure

But for a 14 year old kid, who reviews the tablet he saved up for with his pocket money... it might well be the best device he owns, and his 5 star reviews shows how it positively effected him

These HAVE to be used together to  create your buying decision....if you only read one aspect you are not getting the overall picture

Like 99% of people find a 720p smartphone screen to look fantastic, yet a Cnet review might give a new phone a con because it does not use a 1080p screen, this looks like a negative, yet customer reviews might say "great screen"

It is up to you, which side of the fence you sit, One one side, the professional will be alot more harsh on small issues, but will give you tons of technical information, specs and statistics that as a tech person you will find useful but they sometimes gloss over the whole feeling of the phone

On the other side a consumer might not be very techy and may not be able to tell you what processor was in their new phone, but they can tell you that they play angry birds on it, that it lasts 3 days of normal use, and that the metal body felt great

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

In my case and this is not including that i want or need the item, customer reviews count for 45% of my purchase, research on the products counts for the other 55%.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Linus, Youtube, Reviews from Customers. In that order. 

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Of course they do, but the thing is that when you go on Newegg looking at the latest (for the sake of argument,) ASRock boards and find that one of them has a 2 or 3 egg rating based on 3 reviews, you want to check those reviews, because they might be legit reviews from people who actually know what they are talking about who have genuine issues with the product, but often enough they are all by people who have no idea what they're talking about and/or are complaining about subjective issues ("It didn't have this thing I thought it would have" or "It has things I don't use" or something stupid like that. if there are only these kinds of reviews on the product, do some research and if you fail to find a reputable source condemning it as bad, that gives you every reason to consider the product for purchase in your next build/project/whatever.

It cuts both ways. Always actually look at the reviews before making assumptions.

If the reviews are fairly even (good and bad) I might stay away from the product/item.  If the reviews are mostly bad, again I'll stay away from the item.  If the review are mostly good, I will look into the item more.

Only for less known companies such as Cryorig

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2

I read a wide range of reviews from tech reviews to Newegg Customer reviews. Of course the 0/5 on a DOA is dismiss-able, but if there is quite a few(10-20) of DOA reviews, then it effects my purchase.

I look at both

I look at review like Linus, Anand, Toms Hardware etc for the technical details, what its specs are like, what its display is like, how it compares to other devices in its category or with other similar kinds of things

Customer reviews are great to figure out the overall experience, from packaging, delivery, customer service and perceived value

There is a massive dichotomy between a tech pro review, and your average joe

For example,.... an $80 tablet, to Linus, would be a massive pile of poo, with terrible build quality and low performance... and he would just be like "compared to the iPad or surface pro this thing is poo" ... this is useful information sure

But for a 14 year old kid, who reviews the tablet he saved up for with his pocket money... it might well be the best device he owns, and his 5 star reviews shows how it positively effected him

These HAVE to be used together to create your buying decision....if you only read one aspect you are not getting the overall picture

Like 99% of people find a 720p smartphone screen to look fantastic, yet a Cnet review might give a new phone a con because it does not use a 1080p screen, this looks like a negative, yet customer reviews might say "great screen"

It is up to you, which side of the fence you sit, One one side, the professional will be alot more harsh on small issues, but will give you tons of technical information, specs and statistics that as a tech person you will find useful but they sometimes gloss over the whole feeling of the phone

On the other side a consumer might not be very techy and may not be able to tell you what processor was in their new phone, but they can tell you that they play angry birds on it, that it lasts 3 days of normal use, and that the metal body felt great

Cnet has a video of the top 5 worst phones. If I remember, alot of them were "low resolution peices of crap blurry unusable screens at 3.5"". 720x480 doesnt look bad imo. Not as sharp as 720,1080,and qhd, but not terrible.

Yes to an extent.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Nearly all the 1 star reviews I see are people saying it didn't work on my Mac.

So I take them with a grain of salt and try to find smaller youtubers who review them.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

I do tend to read reviews to get an idea of the quality and features, but I don't put much stock in (text based) reviews by the average person when it comes to subjective matters like how good a monitor looks or how great an audio solution is (eg: Beats reviews on Amazon).

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

Yes and No, I always look first if Linus, Techoftommorow, and others did a review on it first. If not or it was more of a ''overview'' I'll go to the reviews but, most of the time I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. 

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

They influence my purchase when it comes to buying actual PC Components for my system. If a motherboard gets terrible reviews and is ripped apart by dozens of people with detailed explanations to back up their claims then I will shy away from that said product. But it's a bit different when it comes to games and movies for me. I tend to ignore reviews entirely for entertainment media because it's a subjective opinion whether they're good or not.

To some extent, yes, but the biggest factor would by the utility of the product for its price.

I usually find some way to try out the product before finalizing my decision.

As for my recent big purchase, which would be my PC, I went full theoretical and based the decision on available resources and needs...

No regrets there...