X-8 Featuring White Lightning. An 8 core Hackintosh...

ALXAndy

Those tools are fine. The rotary tool lasted me two years and the motor was still good I just broke the chuck. I use a drill for drilling holes :D hammer is just one of the functions of it dude it's just a drill :)

The workbench is ok but the top is made from MDF rather than proper timber. It doesn't matter though, it still more than serves its purpose :)

I've upgraded my rotary tool now but only because of the chuck mech and even my new one was only £35.

What rotary tool you got now and i got one of the wireless mouse. :D

Steve

What rotary tool you got now and i got one of the wireless mouse. :D

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/209051-x-8-featuring-white-lightning-an-8-core-hackintosh/?p=3044274

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

Hey, I was thinking of getting a rotary tool (planning some modding) but i can't find that black and decker other than in america (I live in Bristol)? Also thanks for telling me how 'cheap' or at least reasonable it was, now i might have to only wait till xmas for a long enough break, sweet!

Pentium G3258 @ 4.2GHz | Asus R9 290 | MSI Z97s SLI Plus | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1600MHZ | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | 250GB 840 Evo |Evga Supernova 750W | Win 7 Home Premium | Corsair Obsidian 800D |

i5-2450M @ 2.50 GHz | 8GB RAM | 500GB 5400rpm HDD | Nvidia gt630m | Win 8.1 Pro |

Hey, I was thinking of getting a rotary tool (planning some modding) but i can't find that black and decker other than in america (I live in Bristol)? Also thanks for telling me how 'cheap' or at least reasonable it was, now i might have to only wait till xmas for a long enough break, sweet!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0001OZHF8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's where I got mine. Lovely case it comes in too ;)

@

Damikiller37

Yup that's it thanks man !

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

BTW guys on the subject of Rotary tools.

These are essential for acrylic. I've only just moved onto my second one in over a year of use.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-719813-Diamond-Cutting-6-Piece/dp/B000T9XUBI/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413114461&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=diamond+coated+cutting+disk

They're uber sharp and thin and they go through one pass ! For metal I use these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fibreglass-Reinforced-Cutting-Dremel-2615042632/dp/B0002SMOD6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1413114554&sr=8-6&keywords=dremel+reinforced+cutting+disc

Ten are about £5 on Ebay.

Apparently it's fully supported. I've seen it in people's boot diagnostics.

I've ordered it. At that price it would be rude not to tbh. I don't really want to risk any more than that on an old hard drive. If it works cool, if not I'll just buy a cheaper USB2 drive :)

Looking nice! thumb.gif

@alpenwasser can you link me to your stitching guide please?

Sure thing:

Discussion thread:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/30316-cable-lacing-tutorial-upd-2013-oct-05/

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Killer thanks !!

Will tackle that bit when I grow some more patience :D

what are the benefits and the problems owning a Hackintosh?

I see that it is cheaper, and it is not easy to set up, but does it deliver the Mac feeling, with the possibility of a dual boot?

I see that it is cheaper, and it is not easy to set up, but does it deliver the Mac feeling, with the possibility of a dual boot?

Yes they normally are a lot of cheaper, They can be very easy to set up if you have the right hardware. The system will run the same as a mac if you have good hardware i.e. an SSD etc. Yes you can dual boot multiple OSs.

\

does it worth the hassle to set a PC up for Hackintosh/dual boot, if you are not in need of a OSX for work?

@Nicholas Marzio

does it worth the hassle to set a PC up for Hackintosh/dual boot, if you are not in need of a OSX for work?

@Nicholas Marzio

Well if you don't need OS X I would say it isn't worth the hassle to set it up because it can be hard to do. If you, like me, code in Xcode and use other OS X software then yes it's worth it because  you don't have to go buy a Mac.

\

From what I can gather you can run Windows on a MAC any way now. Either the normal way? or via VM.

The MAC feeling is all about the operating system and for the true pedant, the peripherals. However, more and more people are using their own peripherals which Apple now fully supports it would seem.

The OS itself is a flavour of unix, which in turn is very similar to Linux et al. The only difference I see is about twenty thousand gallons of polish that has been slowly and carefully applied to OSX. This is made much easier for Apple because their hardware is picked and chosen by them so they only need to concentrate on, for example, five GPUs and a small handful of CPUs.

If they stuck to IVBE for example for their Power Macs then that's one CPU you need to support there. Regular old IB chips and Haswell chips in the laptops too..

The issue I have always had with Linux is setting it up. It can take days upon days as installing a driver is not quite as simple as it is on Windows (IE going and finding it and installing it) you usually need to obtain it via your terminal (or command prompt) with a string of code that only makes perfect sense to the guy writing it or some one who can actually write and understand code. For the layman it can be fucking annoying and incredibly time consuming.

Most recently I took my old Powerbook 17" with its 2gb ram and 1.67ghz G4 CPU and spent nearly four days installing Linux which, according to the penguin lovers, was 'much better' yet in the end was actually slower than OSX.

OSX is what it's about. SImplicity refined and then doused in polish. It works, when you ask it to, when you want it to. You don't load up, for example, a CPU monitor to find that only 50% of your CPU is being utilised.

So for day to day shit? OSX pisses on Windows. For video editing? same again, because every app on the MAC is set for unified hardware so eliminates millions of different hardware configs from the equation.

That's why a Hackintosh needs to be very carefully chosen so that it meets that criteria...

HTH !

@ALXAndy

how does it better in day to day shit?

I am not complaining with my okayish £400 hardware at windows, multimonitor was easy to set up, but I have not used another os rather than Windows (Linux few times, briefly, and OSX maybe twice?) so I might not know the other side of the things

so it will need a special (eg carefully chosen parts). I see

how does it support multi monitor with different resolution monitors?

Well ever since Mavericks was released there is so much more support for hardware. The main things that you need to check is that the motherboard has:

• Compatible NIC
  • Compatible Audio Codec (USB bypass is always an option)
  • Support Chipset (Most are)
  • If using iGPU, a supported CPU with an iGPU + Motherboard (I.e. HD4000)

And then there is other things such as GPU support which has gotten rather large lately.

Edit: I'm going to eat now will fill in details later.

\

@ALXAndy

how does it better in day to day shit?

I am not complaining with my okayish £400 hardware at windows, multimonitor was easy to set up, but I have not used another os rather than Windows (Linux few times, briefly, and OSX maybe twice?) so I might not know the other side of the things

so it will need a special (eg carefully chosen parts). I see

how does it support multi monitor with different resolution monitors?

You open it up and it does what you want it to do first time every time. Windows has gotten a lot better over the years but basically back in the days of Win 98 you would start crawling after a couple of months and need to reinstall.

OSX is very slick and very clean.. It's hard to explain really but if every game released on OSX I would switch forever in a heart beat and never look back. Apple have never charged $400 for an operating system either, their dual licenses used to be like $20-$30 or now completely free.

It's also a lot less prone to bullshit. Viruses, phishing scams, malware, adware... It's almost (I dare say completely rid of) rid of all of that shit. People always attack what is the most popular....

Another issue with Windows is how useless most of the inbuilt apps are. Like wordpad.. Thanks but no thanks. Imovie is a lovely app, as are all of the Apple apps as you may know if you've ever used an Iphone or Ipad.

@ALXAndy

I am using Win 7 for years now, and now a win 8.1 and it seem stable enough so far ( 3 weeks)

I am a student so I can get 8.1 pro for £50 that I am believe the same as OSX

I do not get them, as I grew up in the internet, I know what not to do

calculator and notepad. I do not use any more of them as yes, they are horrible. Even Xbox live needs some polish. but there are programs, that helps

I do not want to make a heated argument like "Windows master race vs OSX Peasants" or something like that, honestly, if you, as a true computer enthusiast, can prove me, that OSX is good, I would be more than happy to make a hackintosh, as I want to try something new after all these Win years. But as I have some programs, that are windows bound (Altium, MPLab) and I need stability in Windows ( that is there without messing with stuff) I am not sure, if a hackintosh would be a good idea for everyday use(OSX) and work (Windows)

@ALXAndy

I am using Win 7 for years now, and now a win 8.1 and it seem stable enough so far ( 3 weeks)

calculator and notepad. I do not use any more of them as yes, they are horrible. Even Xbox live needs some polish. but there are programs, that helps

I do not want to make a heated argument like "Windows master race vs OSX Peasants" or something like that, honestly, if you, as a true computer enthusiast, can prove me, that OSX is good, I would be more than happy to make a hackintosh, as I want to try something new after all these Win years. But as I have some programs, that are windows bound (Altium, MPLab) and I need stability in Windows ( that is there without messing with stuff) I am not sure, if a hackintosh would be a good idea for everyday use(OSX) and work (Windows)

Well, if you are up to the challenge I am always more than happy to help you out :)

\

OSX is free now Hippy ;)

@ALXAndy

There is no argument. Windows is shit. Always was, always will be. I dare any one to stand up and actually say it's good.

What Windows is, however, is in every fucking home in the world. However, popular does not equal good, not in my eyes.

OSX absolutely laughs at it.

@ALXAndy

does it compromise windows, if I have a hackintosh Dual boot?

I heard that components might have flashed bios (like R9 290 Mac edition, I believe it has a special BIOS) but I did not do big researches before, as I was not really interested

I have a mate, who has a Mac, I try OSX there, unless I get drunk, then I will try it drunk lol

Is it?

Is there a database about the supported/easy to set up parts for a hackintosh?

Windows is shit= the only reason why I am not agreeing 100% as because my windowses at home usually run fine after some case, for months. but then again, I saw some windowses, that are just horrible.

But then again I cannot really compare