X-8 Featuring White Lightning. An 8 core Hackintosh...

ALXAndy

:huh: Beats....

Any who, if you need help let me know.

Solo HD were free. Studio were £21 and pro were £28 (and they're an awful lot of headphones for £28). Tours were £13 a set Powerbeats the same. And I tell you what? you can't tell them from the genuine ones.

Any way, enough digression. Let me try this and if it doesn't work you can add me over Adium (quack) and I can use the PC to talk to you on there.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

Solo HD were free. Studio were £21 and pro were £28 (and they're an awful lot of headphones for £28). Tours were £13 a set Powerbeats the same. And I tell you what? you can't tell them from the genuine ones.

Any way, enough digression. Let me try this and if it doesn't work you can add me over Adium (quack) and I can use the PC to talk to you on there.

Sure I guess, if you have a mic I don't mind dealing with you using speakers :)

\

Sure I guess, if you have a mic I don't mind dealing with you using speakers :)

I have an old Microlabs mic somewhere..

Just building the stick now.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Sorry got a bit mixed up there :D

Enjoy !

Update.

Wot? no pics? no.

That's because now it's software time so there's nothing to see. However, some of you may find these updates coming over the next few days useful.

So last night Nicholas and I met up on Skype. It was a bit awkward, because I had to fire Skype up, put on my headset, then put X8 up on the desk right in the way and pull out the keyboard and mouse so I could work on X8, leaving Skype running on my PC..

So far it's been a bit of a no go. We tried Niresh but that just locked up immediately so we spent a couple of hours setting up a VM on my desktop and then loading Mavericks before building the stick with Unibeast.

It won't install. After a lot of digging and trying different things we discovered that in Verbose mode (-v) it gets to a certain point before continually stating "Can not find root device". If I leave it it simply repeats the message over and over.

Now there are many causes for this. However, they all seem to be either USB support is somehow dropped for the sick (which may be the culprit, given I am getting errors on socket 14) or it could be that it simply can not find the hard drive.

Thing is I suspect the latter. The reason is that the hot swap bay is connected to the motherboard by two SATA connectors. Inside that bay there are LEDs and status lights and I have a feeling that there is some sort of controller in there that may possibly be standing in the way of the hard drive itself, which is on a separate SATA controller.

So, at some point either today or tomorrow I need to open X8 up and remove the hot swap bay from the equation completely, and, leave it open so I can play musical chairs with the SATA ports and the hard drive.

I will no doubt finish the floor pan whilst I'm at it, and, make the 'table' that the forthcoming SSD will mount to (I am saving this for the launch of Yosemite right now..).

So that's about it. No pics, but if you're setting up a Hackintosh there could be some good pointers in there.

Yup, I also done some digging and I think I have worked out all the boot flags that we will need to use for the install and the post install. Time will tell :P

GA-X79-UD3

For the install: UseKextCache=Yes(Not use if we will need yes or no) npci=0x3000 cpus=1 GraphicsEnabler=Yes -f -v

Post install: cpus=1 npci=x2000 -v -x UseKernelCache=No GraphicsEnabler=Yes

\

OK. So using UseKextCache=Yes(Not use if we will need yes or no) npci=0x3000 cpus=1 GraphicsEnabler=Yes -f -v.

DSC00104.jpg

DSC00105.jpg

DSC00106.jpg

DSC00107.jpg

And then cpus=1 npci=x2000 -v -x UseKernelCache=No GraphicsEnabler=Yes

I get...

ScreenShot2014-10-07at053330.png

All booting OK but I still have to use the memory stick or I get "Can not find bootable media".

So far I've checked Ethernet and it works perfectly. I can bum around in OSX fine too. Not tested the sound yet but will later.. However...... Safari is just flicker heaven. The page continually flickers and flashes.

Obviously this is very early on in the install process so I'm sure we can sort it out :)

Pm incoming....

OK so an update.

Nicholas and I have been fighting this thing for three days now.

I can get OSX on there, that's not the issue. I can even get the GPU working properly to the point it almost runs Unigene Valley. It begins to build the screen, I get a FPS count, then it CTD. However, this CPU is being a royal pain in the jacksy.

Every time we try and install Voodoo to get it running it refuses to install and then on reboot the installation is dead.

I have other means I am going to try later when I get back home, but I may end up having to run it from one CPU core (for now). TBH? even on the one core it's perfectly snappy enough.

However, I will most probably be changing the GPU as I just managed to buy a Powercolor Radeon R290 4gb for £130.

At that price even if it does not work with OSX I will keep it to one side as a stand in. Great GPU at silly money.

OK so an update.

Nicholas and I have been fighting this thing for three days now.

I can get OSX on there, that's not the issue. I can even get the GPU working properly to the point it almost runs Unigene Valley. It begins to build the screen, I get a FPS count, then it CTD. However, this CPU is being a royal pain in the jacksy.

Every time we try and install Voodoo to get it running it refuses to install and then on reboot the installation is dead.

I have other means I am going to try later when I get back home, but I may end up having to run it from one CPU core (for now). TBH? even on the one core it's perfectly snappy enough.

However, I will most probably be changing the GPU as I just managed to buy a Powercolor Radeon R290 4gb for £130.

At that price even if it does not work with OSX I will keep it to one side as a stand in. Great GPU at silly money.

290/X support in 10.10

\

OK so one to hold onto for the future then ! That's pretty cool :)

I will be ready about 4:30 pm UK time dude. Should have a couple of hours spare.

OK so one to hold onto for the future then ! That's pretty cool :)

I will be ready about 4:30 pm UK time dude. Should have a couple of hours spare.

Sounds good.

\

Install just all out failed..

Nicholas.. Just quick before I go out.

I got it installed again. I did the tutorial I showed you and....

It works ! all I have to flag is npci-0x2000 and -v and I can boot in.

All we need to do now matey is install a boot loader and permanently put the flags in. The only issue is monitor going to standby without ncpi=0x2000.

Edit. We may also need to do the sound card.. The Voodoo CPU part has installed this time though without coming up with that error.

Nicholas.. Just quick before I go out.

I got it installed again. I did the tutorial I showed you and....

It works ! all I have to flag is npci-0x2000 and -v and I can boot in.

All we need to do now matey is install a boot loader and permanently put the flags in. The only issue is monitor going to standby without ncpi=0x2000.

Edit. We may also need to do the sound card.. The Voodoo CPU part has installed this time though without coming up with that error.

Okay, I think I will be able to fix it

\

Woopda !

ScreenShot2014-10-08at163615_zpsddcbcc1c

I think this has changed too...

ScreenShot2014-10-08at163645_zps898b3b37

It's now reporting the MAC as a 3.1

OK so after many hours of messing around Nicholas and I could not get the onboard sound working. As a stroke of luck I had only just bought this..

scard.jpg

As a headphone amp for my PC. It worked straight away, phew ! so now there is sound. There is also this..

ScreenShot2014-10-09at134203.png

And this..

ScreenShot2014-10-09at134837.png

*Note. I'm only running 1280x1024. Hence the scores will be different if you are running higher.

So then I made the floor pan for X8..

DSC00111.jpg

And my SSD conversion kit (it's MSATA) also arrived, which quickly ended up looking like this.

DSC00113.jpg

iSSD !

This all looks so good, I especially like the braided psu cables!

Pentium G3258 @ 4.2GHz | Asus R9 290 | MSI Z97s SLI Plus | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1600MHZ | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | 250GB 840 Evo |Evga Supernova 750W | Win 7 Home Premium | Corsair Obsidian 800D |

i5-2450M @ 2.50 GHz | 8GB RAM | 500GB 5400rpm HDD | Nvidia gt630m | Win 8.1 Pro |

This all looks so good, I especially like the braided psu cables!

Hey thanks man !

There's actually still loads to do. Right now I am making a stand for the iSSD which will contain 10 white LEDs and should all light up. I've taken two sheets of 5mm Acrlyic, white and black, and have sandwiched them together to make a stand that the SSD will sit on. Then there are two angled brackets it mounts onto once done and it should all glow.

Obviously I've got to braid some more wiring for that too..

Then there's the PCIE exhaust fan that I had planned from the beginning. I was going to use a 92mm fan but ended up having to move the GTX 480 down a slot so a 92mm won't fit, so instead I have another San Ace or a small fan I took from an old Sky HD box... I want to get that waste heat out basically.

Nicholas installed HWmonitor today and we were loling at the CPU's power draw. 13 watts at idle, idle temp was 31c. Load temps are around the late 40s... I think I broke it though by updating it haha the joys of OSX :D

But yeah, keep an eye on the thread. I ain't quite done yet ;)

Edit. I still have to stitch all of the cables too. They look a bit hoopty atm..

OK so update. Here is something I've been working on for the past couple of days.

1_zps3af3cd10.jpg

To make that I had to cut two pieces of acrylic, then put them together in a glue sandwich before sanding and cleaning and polishing the edges.

2_zps45a99bdf.jpg

Like so, and then drilling ten holes through the black side only.

3_zpsdffa1b5e.jpg

And the sides, pre fab.

4_zpsd93fc909.jpg

OK so time for some LEDs. I don't even want to get into how long this took, nor how utterly mind numblingly boring it was.

5_zps3859723c.jpg

OK so test fit.

6_zps39961ffa.jpg

Good shit, then glue.

7_zps03dc2f2c.jpg

And put to one side to set. I also made a SATA braid cable/extension/converter thing.

8_zps196e5ef6.jpg

So not much left to do now... I also ordered a fan for the side intake.

9_zps10ed3aca.jpg

LEDs, which is kinda nice.

11_zps813be8cf.jpg

But the real reason I bought it is this.

10_zps18d149a5.jpg

Which should work on the outside of the case. I am going to bondo/filler the Aerocool logo and repaint it in white...

Update. So as of now the MAC is sitting with a cover over it whilst I figured out how I can hook it up.

In the end I found this.

kvm.jpg

Which has three USB sockets (so keyboard, mouse and sound card) and two inputs from the PC. This way I can just hook my stuff into the KVM and use both computers with one set of peripherals.

My monitor has three inputs so I will simply plug both BPM and X8 into the monitor and switch inputs.

Right now the SSD stand is setting. I have glued on the side parts so theoretically it should be ready to mount once the glue sets and I can clean the edges. Here it is being tested.

1-10.jpg

And the side the SSD will mount to.

2-9.jpg