X-8 Featuring White Lightning. An 8 core Hackintosh...

ALXAndy

Because it is red and black and would need some serious work to put right. Then there's the sound card, and the horrid ribbon that comes out of the end.

I thought about painting it but those blower fans are nigh on impossible to find and if I fuck it I fuck it, no going back. Then I have to buy an aftermarket cooler for it costing £60, etc, etc.

The duct cost me about £4, now I have a place to mount the last of the SSDs.

I see

so it is a stock cooler?

Would not it be wise to mount a hidden fan to blow at the card from one of the covers?

I heard horror story from its loudness

Better directional airflow for blower design coolers

Well of course there is that too. I'm not done yet. The end will be capped with a 100mm fan (Scythe Jiu Slim). Blowing air directly at the GPU.

Plus it's clean. Like, hospital operating table clean. And that's what I wanted from the beginning of the project :)

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

I see

so it is a stock cooler?

Would not it be wise to mount a hidden fan to blow at the card from one of the covers?

I heard horror story from its loudness

It's stock yes. It resides in a MAC dude. IE - it will never have to break a sweat.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

The SSD's look really nice mounted there

They need work. They are both a bit chipped which is fine because I can touch up black but one has the Intel logo damaged so I have contacted the seller and he's digging through them as we speak for clean ones :)

Good news. The seller came back and accepted my offer, which was I pay him £10 he sends me a clean drive.

So then I gots three SSDs, and, apparently you can run three in RAID 0.

Now to find a hiding place for the third one.....

Good news. The seller came back and accepted my offer, which was I pay him £10 he sends me a clean drive.

So then I gots three SSDs, and, apparently you can run three in RAID 0.

Now to find a hiding place for the third one.....

Oh god xD

\

Oh god xD

I doubt it will do the GB/PS my RAID 0 4 drive stripe does, but hey, 500 or more and I beat any modern drive (well, 600 would about do that).

I think I'll just hide it on the back side or maybe find a way to mount it. Either way, should be fun :)

Problem solved.

intel.jpg

Bought three. They're from Extreme Edition CPUs, all black. Obs quite small so I will cover up the black areas in Dinoc, then put on those. Should look rather nice.

this is getting better every time I come back. He had 2 ssds and now 3.

CPU-- AMD FX-8320 (Stock), Motherboard-- ASUS M5A99FX PRO R 2.0, RAM-- Team 8gb 1600Mhz, GPU-- Sapphire 7870 GHz with OC Edition, Case-- NZXT Tempest 210, PSU-- Corsair CX600m, HDD, 1tb Seagate & 2tb WD External, Monitor-- Dell S2240M IPS Display, Keyboard/Mouse-- Some Logitech keyboard and some Dell mouse, Speakers-- Logitech Z533

this is getting better every time I come back. He had 2 ssds and now 3.

Sadly I have no space for 4.... hahaha.

Three should give a substantial boost over two. I run four Corsair 60gb Novas in my other rig and they're 220mb R and four hit a gb a second. If I hit 600 I'll be happy, 'cause you can't buy a drive that fast for £45.

Speed is the issue here, not space. I have two 2tb drives coming for the hot swap bays, so it's literally for OSX :)

raid2drives.jpg

Not bad, and that's only two.

Well that's that horrible ribbon cable sorted.

1.jpg

I don't even want to go into it. Splitting 40 wires... Ugh, took about two hours :S

/Roy Castle/ Dedication is what you need....

So here's what I did yesterday. The replacement ribbon came. Cost me about £3.

1.jpg

Note I removed the middle connector.Separate.

2.jpg

Test. Now at this point everything was working.

3.jpg

Here is the MOLEX output I wired the other day.

5.jpg

And tape up.

6.jpg

Then I braided it and guess what? mic doesn't work. Very, very strange :(

I don't care now though.

Oh yeah, third SSD came (replacement for a really scuffed up one) and...

3drives.jpg

Which kinda drove away the disappointment of the mic socket.

Today I hope to finish the duct up.

And so I began to make the end cap for the duct. Note how the duct end is angled? well this means that the fan in the end is aimed right into the blower, feeding it with the cool air sucked in by the front 120mm fan.

DSC00248.jpg

It will need trimming and tidying once the glue has set but it fits very nicely.

More soon...

Sort out the fan for the end of the duct.

DSC00250.jpg

Got SSDs? that would be affirmative...

ssds.jpg

OK so the glue set which allowed me to clean the edges and fascia.

endin.jpg

Please note, the entire thing is still covered in the protective film hence all the lines and dirt etc.

OK, so I masked it up and drew the line. I didn't want to do this before as it flexes etc I wanted it to be true.

DSC00255.jpg

I've now cut it off and pumped in a bead of glue from the back side to give it strength. I should be able to clean it all up tomorrow and possibly fit it.

Decided to push on a bit. Obviously it's still not finished. I have graphics to make and a fan controller knob to fit, plus I am not happy with the skull placement so I will be moving him.

It's night time here now so pics are obviously a bit ropey, but I think it speaks for itself rather well.

1.jpg

3.jpg

Now whilst the blue LED on the Firewire card kinda annoys me as it's out of place it does tend to set off the glitter on the vinyl very well.

2.jpg

So how is this £4 fan doing its job? well let's say (and I truly mean this honestly) that the 290 used to idle at 52c.

4.jpg

gputemp.jpg

13c drop. Not to be sniffed at that. Plus it does look kinda amazing, if I do say so myself.

Idle at 52? mine idles at freaking 65!

Pentium G3258 @ 4.2GHz | Asus R9 290 | MSI Z97s SLI Plus | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1600MHZ | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | 250GB 840 Evo |Evga Supernova 750W | Win 7 Home Premium | Corsair Obsidian 800D |

i5-2450M @ 2.50 GHz | 8GB RAM | 500GB 5400rpm HDD | Nvidia gt630m | Win 8.1 Pro |

Idle at 52? mine idles at freaking 65!

It's a small case dude. It has a good fan in the front (basically an earlier version of the air penetrator minus the fancy pattern thing like my side fan has (that curved grille).

So it only sits about 3" back from that, fresh air. Then it's now sealed in a duct being fed that same air, only now at an angle forcing it directly into the fan.

But 39c? that's now idling lower than my top Titan Black which idles at 42c.

Finished...

DSC00274_zpsc3cc422c.jpg

DSC00268_zpscdec01bb.jpg

DSC00270_zps7ab5916b.jpg

DSC00269_zps5e439d29.jpg

DSC00275_zps58863887.jpg

Software is all done via a UEFI boot loader. Now have Win 8.1 and OSX Yosemite all set up (posting from OSX as we speak :D )

Finished...

Hehh, I nearly believed you :D ( I am sure there will be more cutting/modifying/upgrading down the road :D

It is really hard to say that it is a budget build nice one!

Dayumn! that sparkly vinyl looks nice, and also Dayumn! the rest of the build looks nice.

Pentium G3258 @ 4.2GHz | Asus R9 290 | MSI Z97s SLI Plus | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1600MHZ | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | 250GB 840 Evo |Evga Supernova 750W | Win 7 Home Premium | Corsair Obsidian 800D |

i5-2450M @ 2.50 GHz | 8GB RAM | 500GB 5400rpm HDD | Nvidia gt630m | Win 8.1 Pro |