X-8 Featuring White Lightning. An 8 core Hackintosh...

ALXAndy

I will just leave this here:

http://youtu.be/eYj8ciqAPcA?t=40s

:D

I think if I can create some anchors in the back side of the case to tie wiring to I may pull it off.... But most of the back side has enough to run like one wire through, not 46 !

Now somewhere in this room in a padded envelope I have a Mugen hood scoop I bought for the TVR build that I could possibly paint......

Forgot to say - the rig fires perfectly. Now obviously the way I did the wiring is pretty fool proof but the PCIE connectors were lame. The 8 pins were just 6 pins with extra 2" ground wires so I had to remove those and run my own grounds.

Any way, yeah, all alive. It's all about the cabling now....

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

:D

I think if I can create some anchors in the back side of the case to tie wiring to I may pull it off.... But most of the back side has enough to run like one wire through, not 46 !

Now somewhere in this room in a padded envelope I have a Mugen hood scoop I bought for the TVR build that I could possibly paint......

Forgot to say - the rig fires perfectly. Now obviously the way I did the wiring is pretty fool proof but the PCIE connectors were lame. The 8 pins were just 6 pins with extra 2" ground wires so I had to remove those and run my own grounds.

Any way, yeah, all alive. It's all about the cabling now....

Sweet, hold you that you make fast progress compared to me :P

\

Dude, you want to see the state of my fingers.

I made the classic idiotic mistake when removing wires. DON'T EVER PUT YOUR THUMB ON THE RELEASE SIDE OF THE HOLE WHEN YOU PULL THE WIRE.

Basically PCIE/PSU wires are all the same. They have a U channel which is like a pair of razors. I was being sloppy and pulled the wire, now I have a deep gash right on the tip of my thumb. It refused to stop bleeding, so I had to resort to drastic action and tape up the end of my finger with electrical tape. I would have super glued it, but it just wouldn't stop bleeding long enough.

Not only that but melting the ends down has resulted in my thumb also being burnt. It's in a right old bloody state lol.

Gonna chill for part one of today. Hopefully watch Man U lose, then watch Spurs and Southampton whom both appeal to me so win win no matter who loses :D

But yeah, I think this will be the last build of this sort of magnitude from me for a while. The last build I did that was this thorough was in 2010 and it took four years for me to want to do another :D

BTW... Techy bit.

I found the Nvidia drivers. They are listed as just being Quadro drivers but obviously they work? I heard about people hacking Quadro drivers to run GTX 480s on the PC many moons ago.

I may have to flash one of the bioses on the card to the Asus ENG one. Apparently that card is fully supported by default.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

Dude, you want to see the state of my fingers.

I made the classic idiotic mistake when removing wires. DON'T EVER PUT YOUR THUMB ON THE RELEASE SIDE OF THE HOLE WHEN YOU PULL THE WIRE.

Basically PCIE/PSU wires are all the same. They have a U channel which is like a pair of razors. I was being sloppy and pulled the wire, now I have a deep gash right on the tip of my thumb. It refused to stop bleeding, so I had to resort to drastic action and tape up the end of my finger with electrical tape. I would have super glued it, but it just wouldn't stop bleeding long enough.

Not only that but melting the ends down has resulted in my thumb also being burnt. It's in a right old bloody state lol.

Gonna chill for part one of today. Hopefully watch Man U lose, then watch Spurs and Southampton whom both appeal to me so win win no matter who loses :D

But yeah, I think this will be the last build of this sort of magnitude from me for a while. The last build I did that was this thorough was in 2010 and it took four years for me to want to do another :D

BTW... Techy bit.

I found the Nvidia drivers. They are listed as just being Quadro drivers but obviously they work? I heard about people hacking Quadro drivers to run GTX 480s on the PC many moons ago.

I may have to flash one of the bioses on the card to the Asus ENG one. Apparently that card is fully supported by default.

Yes, the GTX 480 should work out of box with OS X since there are supported drivers by default. Yes the web Driver should be Quadro drivers for the CUDA support. I'm not sure about flashing the Bios on the GPU. Also please flash your Motherboard to the latest non-beta bios. 

I did read something about the 480 Lightning card had some problems but there is only one way to find out  ;)

\

Already flashed the board dude. Had to for PCIE 3 support :)

I'm pretty sure I can run a stock bios on the Lightning should I need to. It has a bios switch, from there I can simply flash a stock Asus bios onto one and then switch :)

Build time.

Was pretty painful tbh. The wound I had on my thumb had closed and stopped bleeding. Then by freak accident I picked up the hot swap bay and something inside it was very sharp and went right into the wound on my thumb. I yelped, it had gone in pretty deep and it started to bleed profusely again. Quick thinking I sprayed on some cold Iodine and stemmed the bleeding. Then I wrapped it in tape and tissue. It hurt like a fly sliding down a razor blade using his balls for brakes, but I had to continue.

So, here is the case with the panel mounted and everything sort of hanging loose. You can see the rear fan now.

1_zpse94b0070.jpg

Time to fit the hard drive.

2_zpsc996916e.jpg

Here is the mess of wires I was talking about around the back.

3_zps65d588d1.jpg

There's about 5mm if that on the outer edges. The panel bulges out offering a small area to go thicker but for the most part this was the hardest wiring I've ever had to do. All of it needed to be forced into the areas where the side panel allows more room.

As you can see here, it was hard. Front panel now on.

4_zpsf73c8cc1.jpg

Fit the hot swap bay.

6_zpsd169dbd1.jpg

And turn the case around.

5_zpsde10c52c.jpg

Remember Mr Skull? well here he is all wired and set.

7_zpsaeaf6106.jpg

OMG, bad-ass.

8_zps39696bc2.jpg

Problem is there's now even more mess to contend with.

9_zps1d620d4d.jpg

OK, so with everything all wired and connected it was time to fit the side. I did some final management and used a few ties. Then I laid it on the floor and evenly pressed the panel in.....

10_zps4c886870.jpg

WOOHOO ! she fits !! I'm still not sure how lol.

11_zpsee7faee6.jpg

And finally time to spin it around again and set it to one side so I can mod the PSU box.

12_zps1c4a57e7.jpg

Still a ways to go......

Fucking looking great man, i'm really jelly of your setups and mods.

Case - £28

Acrylic - £20 (two A3 5mm sheets and two yet to be seen A4 3mm sheets)

Braiding - £15

Two Silverstone fans with controllers - £29 (the most expensive part of the build).

Skull - £3.

Asst LEDs - £6

Spray paint - £9

Asst logos and stickers - £6

I'm proving a point here. Yeah, my thread hasn't been nominated for build of the week or any other award, so what? It didn't cost thousands of pounds/dollars and any one could do it.

That's what modding is all about. Not some dude with $9000 worth of tools at his disposal.

When my thumb stops throbbing I have an appointment with the Dremel and the final two panels (one for the floor, one for the 5.25 bay). 

BTW for those wondering..

Xeon and board - £159.

GPU - free.

PSU - £40.

Cooler - free.

Hard drive - free.

Total cost of the build? £315.

Now put that in MAC terms? £2500.

Case - £28

Acrylic - £20 (two A3 5mm sheets and two yet to be seen A4 3mm sheets)

Braiding - £15

Two Silverstone fans with controllers - £29 (the most expensive part of the build).

Skull - £3.

Asst LEDs - £6

Spray paint - £9

Asst logos and stickers - £6

I'm proving a point here. Yeah, my thread hasn't been nominated for build of the week or any other award, so what? It didn't cost thousands of pounds/dollars and any one could do it.

That's what modding is all about. Not some dude with $9000 worth of tools at his disposal.

When my thumb stops throbbing I have an appointment with the Dremel and the final two panels (one for the floor, one for the 5.25 bay). 

BTW for those wondering..

Xeon and board - £159.

GPU - free.

PSU - £40.

Cooler - free.

Hard drive - free.

Total cost of the build? £315.

Now put that in MAC terms? £2500.

If I could only get as lucky as you :P

\

It's not about luck dude. Those Xeons shouldn't even be eligible for sale because you sign a NDA with them. So they're not worth much to sell on.

The board? yeah, that was killer luck. £59 delivered is less than half price.

The last total mod build I did (N-Fenix) was less than £250.

BTW.. The new Bitfenix Pandora?

http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/chassis/pandora/

See how they have used a video screen for the logo?

finished2_zpsf3dd5765.jpg

4-1_zpsc3c7ec8f.jpg

That screen cost me £18 inc from China. They say imitation is the finest form of flattery........

It's not about luck dude. Those Xeons shouldn't even be eligible for sale because you sign a NDA with them. So they're not worth much to sell on.

That screen cost me £18 inc from China. They say imitation is the finest form of flattery........

China for the win.

\

Yeah. The LEDs, the skull, etc all come from either HK or China.

There's a wait, but two weeks for stuff 1/3 of the UK price? bag it, I'll take it :D

And we draw ever closer. First up I want to mention my poor thumb...

1_zpsc72fb78c.jpg

But enough of that gay banter ! let's get right down to business.

So it was time to mark up one of the final panels.

2_zps0baa6f2d.jpg

And using the dimensions I had previously marked..

3_zps30bdc1b5.jpg

So it was back to the rotary tool to create that panel and adjust the psu box.

Just remember, the word of the day is clinical.

4_zps291e2a91.jpg

But hey, let's not get carried away. It's not done yet. I still have to make the floor pan.

5_zpsf0acea31.jpg

But man alive, I just can't get enough of this shit.

6_zps54fe5d5a.jpg

OK so here is Mr Skull..

7_zpsf88b4fc0.jpg

And around to the business end. Note the fan controller has been modded into the back of the case shell. This controls the rear exhaust.

10_zpsfe43e704.jpg

Look in the background... IT'S ALIVE !! ALIVE I SAY !!!

8_zpseea7afcf.jpg

Oh yeah. Remember those floating fans in the roof?

11_zpsf8d2883b.jpg

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.

such a nice build. your builds are always my favourites, keep it up

Intel i7 4770k @4.5ghz, Asus Maximus VI Formula, Asus Geforce GTX 780, Corsair h100i, Corsair Neutron GTX 240gb, WD Black 1tb, Corsair 750D, Corsair AX860i w/ Sleeved Cables.

I rarely leave the build logs section.

Well attempt number one failed miserably.

The Niresh boot stick failed to boot...

Gonna try building it again.

Gimme a link... Please.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Gimme a link... Please.

This?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-8-TFT-LCD-module-LCD-sys-info-display-temperature-fan-AIDA64-LCD-Smartie-/121004607232

I just used one of those, removed it from the frame and built it into the 5.25 bays then ran AIDA64. When the rig is in standby it goes into photo frame mode, once fired up it's programmed to tell me the GPU CPU temps etc :)

Bitfenix must have liked it, because Pandora uses a small photo frame.

Here's a video of me using it with my Alienware Area 51 ALX. Fantastic toy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz5K8aj7Mag

This?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-8-TFT-LCD-module-LCD-sys-info-display-temperature-fan-AIDA64-LCD-Smartie-/121004607232

I just used one of those, removed it from the frame and built it into the 5.25 bays then ran AIDA64. When the rig is in standby it goes into photo frame mode, once fired up it's programmed to tell me the GPU CPU temps etc :)

Bitfenix must have liked it, because Pandora uses a small photo frame.

Here's a video of me using it with my Alienware Area 51 ALX. Fantastic toy.

That's neat too... But I want the build. :D

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I'm on teamspeak if you need me :P

I can't speak on that dude. I forgot, I don't have a headset.

I'm on yahoo messenger...

I think I know where I went wrong. I built the USB stick using an ISO rather than the Niresh DMG, so I'm grabbing that now.

Over the summer I became fascinated with buying replica Beats, so I bought Solos, Studios, Pros, three sets of tours and some Powerbeats (oh, and a Pill) but forgot to replace my headset lmao.

That's neat too... But I want the build. :D

You'd have to fight that one out with the owner :D

Hint - she doesn't fight fair..... haha.

I can't speak on that dude. I forgot, I don't have a headset.

I'm on yahoo messenger...

I think I know where I went wrong. I built the USB stick using an ISO rather than the Niresh DMG, so I'm grabbing that now.

Over the summer I became fascinated with buying replica Beats, so I bought Solos, Studios, Pros, three sets of tours and some Powerbeats (oh, and a Pill) but forgot to replace my headset lmao.

:huh: Beats....

Any who, if you need help let me know.

\