X-8 Featuring White Lightning. An 8 core Hackintosh...

ALXAndy

@ALXAndy

does it compromise windows, if I have a hackintosh Dual boot?

I heard that components might have flashed bios (like R9 290 Mac edition, I believe it has a special BIOS) but I did not do big researches before, as I was not really interested

I have a mate, who has a Mac, I try OSX there, unless I get drunk, then I will try it drunk lol

Is it?

Is there a database about the supported/easy to set up parts for a hackintosh?

I don't know about Dual Boot mate as I went 100% mac.

Nicholas knows his onions, he will steer you right :)

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

I don't know about Dual Boot mate as I went 100% mac.

Nicholas knows his onions, he will steer you right :)

Not a fan of onions but they do go great with curry :P

\

I have to disagree with you nothing goes with curry

Gravy where it needs to be, while you are drunk they are the best food ever!

I have to disagree with you nothing goes with curry

Gravy where it needs to be, while you are drunk they are the best food ever!

I can't get drunk so I wouldn't know

\

I can't get drunk so I wouldn't know

and what about the dual boot  PC? how stable the windows is ?(compared to itself)

and what about the dual boot  PC? how stable the windows is ?(compared to itself)

OSX won't affect Windows. They are totally different entities.

In theory you could unplug your Windows hdd, put in another, install OSX then choose the boot drive by pressing F12 at bios and picking the corresponding drive... But I'm sure Chameleon or Clover would pick up a Windows drive and draw you a pretty menu :D

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

Windows will be as stable as windows will be, if all the driver are install and there are no problems then it will run perfectly. If there are problems with windows, it will only affect windows. I have been dual booting Windows 8 Pro and OS X 10.9.4 for over 4 months and haven't had a single problem. The reason why I am currently not dual booting is because there is no Maxwell support yet.

\

Windows will be as stable as windows will be, if all the driver are install and there are no problems then it will run perfectly. If there are problems with windows, it will only affect windows. I have been dual booting Windows 8 Pro and OS X 10.9.4 for over 4 months and haven't had a single problem. The reason why I am currently not dual booting is because there is no Maxwell support yet.

OSX won't affect Windows. They are totally different entities.

In theory you could unplug your Windows hdd, put in another, install OSX then choose the boot drive by pressing F12 at bios and picking the corresponding drive... But I'm sure Chameleon or Clover would pick up a Windows drive and draw you a pretty menu :D

I see

Is there a compatible component database somewhere?

If I would buy a new PC, (current PC is FX8320..) then can I go X99, or Z97? It would be a Micro ATX board (small, but there is SLI :) )

I see

Is there a compatible component database somewhere?

If I would buy a new PC, (current PC is FX8320..) then can I go X99, or Z97? It would be a Micro ATX board (small, but there is SLI :) )

This is the guide I normally use for builds but there are boards that are not on there that do work like mine: http://www.tonymacx86.com/443-building-customac-buyer-s-guide-september-2014.html

Currently X99 is not naively supported by OS X but we are expecting support since OS X Yosemite is coming in 4 days and on the 16th at the Apple event they might be announcing Haswell-EP CPUs for the MacPro and other things like Maxwell support etc.

\

This is the guide I normally use for builds but there are boards that are not on there that do work like mine: http://www.tonymacx86.com/443-building-customac-buyer-s-guide-september-2014.html

Currently X99 is not naively supported by OS X but we are expecting support since OS X Yosemite is coming in 4 days and on the 16th at the Apple event they might be announcing Haswell-EP CPUs for the MacPro and other things like Maxwell support etc.

so basically wait till 16th, and hope for the best :D

I will take a look what PC I can create. are there AMD GPUs that work with a hackintosh (with relatively small modification and hassle) like the 290, or it does not worth it?

so basically wait till 16th, and hope for the best :D

I will take a look what PC I can create. are there AMD GPUs that work with a hackintosh (with relatively small modification and hassle) like the 290, or it does not worth it?

On the 16th with the release of Yosemite there is going to be support for 290/290X since there was support in the Yosemite 10.10 Beta 1. My HD 7950 which is now in my brothers pc worked out the box with OS X 10.9. I didn't need to modify anything.

\

SLI doesn't do anything on a MAC. It just sees two separate cards. You can use both, but not combined in SLI.

Fact is you don't need SLI on a MAC. Everything you can play is OGL so runs better any way. Borderlands 2 and Tomb Raider are about as big as it gets and my 480 has no issues with either.

Haswell is a good idea, but personally I would look for either a SBE ES chip or IVBE ES chip. I paid £100 for my 8 core Ivy, and I saw plenty of Sandy chips the same selling on Ebay too. There are a couple of MATX boards for X79..

If you want a Gaming and General use system than a i5 is more than enough.

Oh absolutely but the thing is..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XEON-E5-8-Core-1-6-2-3Ghz-2665-2650L-2660-2640-2630-2620-ES-LGA-2011-20Mb-/131150715450?pt=UK_Computing_CPUs_Processors&hash=item1e89311a3a

It costs the same as an I5 and let's face it, Unix loves cores. Far more than Windows tbh.

BTW Nicholas I forgot to ask.. I broke HWMON by updating it so when I'm set up later in the week could you connect in and fix it for me please? I need to see temps...

Ed. That's my CPU BTW. That's where the guy I bought it from originally got it from. So we know it will work 100% (look at the CPUZ shot it shows IVBE)

Oh absolutely but the thing is..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XEON-E5-8-Core-1-6-2-3Ghz-2665-2650L-2660-2640-2630-2620-ES-LGA-2011-20Mb-/131150715450?pt=UK_Computing_CPUs_Processors&hash=item1e89311a3a

It costs the same as an I5 and let's face it, Unix loves cores. Far more than Windows tbh.

BTW Nicholas I forgot to ask.. I broke HWMON by updating it so when I'm set up later in the week could you connect in and fix it for me please? I need to see temps...

I will see what I can do.

\

Thanks dude. It should be easily fixed by uninstalling the one I put on and just setting up the one you sent me :)

Roll on 16/10/14 :D

pc290.jpg

Got it today. Tested it in the PC, works amazingly well.

Roll on 16/10/14 :D

[pure sex]

Got it today. Tested it in the PC, works amazingly well.

wooo, I like this idea

as my first GPU was ATi, I am more keen on one of them

OK so today I had one job to do. The side fan.

Yesterday I wired and braided this fan.

1-12.jpg

Yet somehow when I was finished it did not work. I was a bit frustrated so I put it to one side. Today I broke it all back into pieces and probed it, and it turns out I had a break in the negative line somewhere. I still don't know where because all of my solder joints were fine :S

Any way, I probed the fan.

2-11.jpg

And all was well :)

Here are the white LEDs I fitted.

3-7.jpg

And ready.

4-5.jpg

noice, I still can't get over how nice that braiding is...

Pentium G3258 @ 4.2GHz | Asus R9 290 | MSI Z97s SLI Plus | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1600MHZ | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | 250GB 840 Evo |Evga Supernova 750W | Win 7 Home Premium | Corsair Obsidian 800D |

i5-2450M @ 2.50 GHz | 8GB RAM | 500GB 5400rpm HDD | Nvidia gt630m | Win 8.1 Pro |

Yeah it's really nice. Soddy thing is it's making me want to do a lumo build like B-negs but I don't have any more hardware :D :D They do the same camo braiding but in lumo pink and orange, it's gorgeous !

Hopefully I will get my fan and guard tomorrow, so I'll just whip off the filter and guard and then set to work. I may still use the Aerocool fan but I think I want it to be clear....

I'm baaaaaaaack.

kyles-cousin-kyle_zpscc7a18a7.jpg

OK, here's what I been up to.

Wired up the secondary power button. God knows, I've needed it.

1-13.jpg

Made a power header splitter from a fan splitter. (the one in OP)

2-12.jpg

Connected it up.

5-4.jpg

And then I set about installing Yosemite. God, what a finicky git it was.

So, short step by step.

Download Yosemite from App store.

Download the latest Unibeast.

Format USB stick with MBR.

Install Unibeast, build stick.

Reboot PC.

Set up USB stick in bios to boot.

Then type.

-v cpus=1 npci=0x2000 kext-dev-mode=1 (important for Yosemite it seems) GraphicsEnabler=Yes

Then go ahead and install, graphics @ 640x480 flashy heaven.

Reboot. Booting from USB stick type the same string as above. Crashes when setting up the account, reboot.

And in !

Find and install the Bonaire Radeon 8000 driver (two kexts, I now use Kext Magician)

Reboot.

Same string again.

When screen goes black remove and then replug the monitor cable.

Install the Rampagedev 10.10 driver (kext wizard or his own tool) install the Rampage kexts (voodoo, fakesmc etc and the CPU driver).

Reboot.

Now boot with -v npci=0x2000 kext-dev-mode=1

Install Clover EFI version. None of the others work. Add flags as per Rampage.

Annnnnd.

ScreenShot2014-10-18at163238.png

All I need to do now is learn how to write some perma boot flags for npci and kext-dev-mode.

Job done, not bad for a rank amateur. 

Wow, this is sweet.

Haven't seen you in a while ALXAndy, how is stuff?

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Yeah good thanks. I got banned for calling some one a rude word, but it's ok, he was the rude word :D

Remember kids - don't be afraid to stand up for what you believe in nor calling a spade a spade. Even if moderators need their fix.

Side fan fitted.

3-8.jpg

And the finished grille.

4-6.jpg

Rig pics coming soon as it's almost finished now :)