X-8 Featuring White Lightning. An 8 core Hackintosh...

ALXAndy

Cheers fellas.

So tonight I tried to play COD AW and it ran out of ram and rudely crashed lol. So I ordered 8gb of this stuff.

71JnVeLCo6L_SL1500__zps6db1e0e4.jpg

Now I could have just moved over to the Titan Black SLI rig but this one is so quiet and uses about 1/4 the power. I'm saving the TB rig for this.

_571_zps648cac23.jpg

65" 4k :D

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

You are going to use your other rig to do real ice melting simulation at 4k :P . On topic that is a huge monitor/tv. I dont know which one it is.

CPU-- AMD FX-8320 (Stock), Motherboard-- ASUS M5A99FX PRO R 2.0, RAM-- Team 8gb 1600Mhz, GPU-- Sapphire 7870 GHz with OC Edition, Case-- NZXT Tempest 210, PSU-- Corsair CX600m, HDD, 1tb Seagate & 2tb WD External, Monitor-- Dell S2240M IPS Display, Keyboard/Mouse-- Some Logitech keyboard and some Dell mouse, Speakers-- Logitech Z533

You are going to use your other rig to do real ice melting simulation at 4k :P . On topic that is a huge monitor/tv. I dont know which one it is.

Hisense 65" 4k. It's not a TV mate it's a monitor, there is no tuner. They're becoming very popular.

Edit forgot to add.. I didn't need the Kingston in the end so I cancelled the order. I did some poking around in some old boxes as I was clearing stuff out and found some old ECC ram so I simply threw in 8gb of that. No more crashing on AW :D

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

Hisense 65" 4k. It's not a TV mate it's a monitor, there is no tuner. They're becoming very popular.

Edit forgot to add.. I didn't need the Kingston in the end so I cancelled the order. I did some poking around in some old boxes as I was clearing stuff out and found some old ECC ram so I simply threw in 8gb of that. No more crashing on AW :D

Just you know, when you happen across 8gb of ECC RAM, so just chuck it into your rig, as we all do. lol

Pentium G3258 @ 4.2GHz | Asus R9 290 | MSI Z97s SLI Plus | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1600MHZ | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | 250GB 840 Evo |Evga Supernova 750W | Win 7 Home Premium | Corsair Obsidian 800D |

i5-2450M @ 2.50 GHz | 8GB RAM | 500GB 5400rpm HDD | Nvidia gt630m | Win 8.1 Pro |

This is....

Beautiful.

CPU: AMD Athlon 5350 (2.66 Ghz OC) Motherboard: Asus AM1m-a Memory: Mushkin Radioactive 8GB DDR3-1600 GPU: MSI R7 260 1GD5 OC Storage: Toshiba Hybrid 500GB Case: Cougar Spike PSU: Rosewill Arc 450 OS: Deepin Linux 2014

WWHHHAT...I've never seen a monitor that big.

CPU-- AMD FX-8320 (Stock), Motherboard-- ASUS M5A99FX PRO R 2.0, RAM-- Team 8gb 1600Mhz, GPU-- Sapphire 7870 GHz with OC Edition, Case-- NZXT Tempest 210, PSU-- Corsair CX600m, HDD, 1tb Seagate & 2tb WD External, Monitor-- Dell S2240M IPS Display, Keyboard/Mouse-- Some Logitech keyboard and some Dell mouse, Speakers-- Logitech Z533

WWHHHAT...I've never seen a monitor that big.

Well basically it does not carry a tuner, so it's a monitor :D

Should be here Monday with any luck.

Well basically it does not carry a tuner, so it's a monitor :D

Should be here Monday with any luck.

I'm ready for the pics!

Dude why not the 5960X?

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Dude why not the 5960X?

hahaha. My 8 core Xeon was £100. The board it sits in was £53.

The 5960x costs about five times that much, then the sickening prices of DDR4.

It does what it needs to with aplomb dude. Lovely little rig.. It cost £450 all in.

hahaha. My 8 core Xeon was £100. The board it sits in was £53.

The 5960x costs about five times that much, then the sickening prices of DDR4.

It does what it needs to with aplomb dude. Lovely little rig.. It cost £450 all in.

WHAT! INSANE PRICE, can we swap :(

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

WHAT! INSANE PRICE, can we swap :(

only if i can keep my 980 :)

Holy fuck this was a nice build, not really fond of the cable management on one of the SSD's to be honest but the rest looks amazing.

You were saving a lot of money on the build, but then are going to spend over 1500 on the monitor, which does looks amazing, truth be told.

So many things I could write here... things like this.

I like what I see so far, keep it up :o

badges badges badges badges badges badges badges badges badges badges badges badges badges

Holy fuck this was a nice build, not really fond of the cable management on one of the SSD's to be honest but the rest looks amazing.

You were saving a lot of money on the build, but then are going to spend over 1500 on the monitor, which does looks amazing, truth be told.

It's been sorted. The heat shrink was stiff so I just warmed it up with the heat gun and bent them around. I had to any way to get the side back on :)

It's been sorted. The heat shrink was stiff so I just warmed it up with the heat gun and bent them around. I had to any way to get the side back on :)

Ah great.

So many things I could write here... things like this.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update.

I got annoyed that the R9 290 did not work properly in OSX. So annoyed that I put it up for trade, and, am currently in the process of trading it for a GTX 770 2gb with the Titan cooler.

It's obviously less powerful but still a fine 1080p card and hopefully it should work 100%, including all games.

Fingers crossed !

Right. So there's been a change of plan. Basically my Purple Monster is going to be powering a 4k screen so I want as much grunt as possible. As thus I have decided to fit the 770 to the BPM to take care of physx. It can also drive the 1080p monitor, leaving the Titans to the 4k one.

So what about X8? well, for ages and ages now I have been wanting to put a professional workstation card in. Enter the Quadro FX 4800 1.5gb.

header_productshot1.png

Quadro_FX4800_back_med.png

So how does it fare in real world terms? well, basically it's about as powerful as a GTX 285, only with double the vram. However, what's far more important is that not only is it a Quadro (meaning amazing drivers..) but it's also fully supported by OSX and has been for years. This should mean that I get excellent performance in Photoshop, Silouette studio, Final Cut and so on.

It was quite expensive at £85 but tbh? more than worth it. It turns the MAC into the fully pro grade workstation I wanted it to be from the beginning.

Right. So there's been a change of plan. Basically my Purple Monster is going to be powering a 4k screen so I want as much grunt as possible. As thus I have decided to fit the 770 to the BPM to take care of physx. It can also drive the 1080p monitor, leaving the Titans to the 4k one.

So what about X8? well, for ages and ages now I have been wanting to put a professional workstation card in. Enter the Quadro FX 4800 1.5gb.

header_productshot1.png

Quadro_FX4800_back_med.png

So how does it fare in real world terms? well, basically it's about as powerful as a GTX 285, only with double the vram. However, what's far more important is that not only is it a Quadro (meaning amazing drivers..) but it's also fully supported by OSX and has been for years. This should mean that I get excellent performance in Photoshop, Silouette studio, Final Cut and so on.

It was quite expensive at £85 but tbh? more than worth it. It turns the MAC into the fully pro grade workstation I wanted it to be from the beginning.

Sweet a continuation of this build. Would the 770 really do much for the titans for 4k. Thou I hope you quadro works the way you want it to!

The 770 won't do an awful lot, will look really nice with the Titans though :D

The Quadro will be more than enough for the MAC. I don't game on it any way so the 770 is equally wasted in the MAC than it is in the PC..

Talking of which the 770 is in the MAC as I type on it. Worked perfectly straight away thank god.

Lesson learned, no more AMD for me ever !

Edit. I've had to remove the duct for now too. The 770 is bigger than the 290 was. I may leave it out now considering it was designed for the 290 to keep the idle temps down. The SSDs are on top of the PSU box so it doesn't look too bad. Got a new SSD to go in too.

• 4 weeks later...

Update !

So basically when I built X8 I did it on the cheap for two reasons.

1. I didn't know if I would use it enough to justify high priced hardware and -

2. I did not know how well OSX would work with my hardware.

As such I did not want to take any risks, only to end up with another Windows PC that couldn't even beg at the feet of the purple monster.

So. Today I decided to change things up a little. First up I wanted a new case that had 3.5 bays. I cut them all out of the cheap case to make room for cooling. So, after a lot of deliberation I chose this, the RV05.

2_zpse4c277e6.jpg

Note - I'm going for absolute silence. The RV05 has a fan controller which switches the fans through high, low, and medium. This is good... It also has a rotated layout, so cooling is bottom to top.

1_zps39ec9daf.gif

There are two 180mm Air Penetrators in the bottom. This is fantastic, as I can run them virtually silent.

OK, next up, the cooler on X8. Again, this was a bit of a womble job because I did not want to spend out on a cooler if the rig wasn't going to get used. Now? hah ! the MAC is on for around 17 hours a day and I rely on it for pretty much everything other than heavy gaming. The Quadro has been an absolute pleasure to own, so I wanted to show off how gorgeous it is. So for a cooler? I wanted silence. Ed. The cooler on X8 is fine at idle, but once the cores start warming up it becomes annoyingly whirry. It's literally the only sound the rig makes but it's highly irritating.

corsairh55_zpse25fbcb3.png

H55, £29 refurb from Scan. Can't really ask for more. I could probably run this thing with no fan, but, now that I know the MAC is sound I have ordered two of these.

noiseblocker-eloop-bikfpnb_zpse23f18b9.j

One for the rad which is going in the top, and the other for the back to get more of the heat out. They weren't cheap, but, will look stunning in the rebuild.

So that's about it :) will update as and when I rebuild.

Just got an email from Scan telling me that my order has been delayed due to a warehouse issue.

In other words, something I ordered doesn't actually exist in stock.

Oh goody.....