Google backs an undersea cable to boost internet speed

99vw

The internet is quickest when you have a direct connection to the sites you're trying to reach, but that's a daunting challenge in the Pacific -- undersea network cables can cost hundreds of millions of dollars. It's therefore good to hear that Google and a host of telecom giants (China Mobile, China Telecom, Global Transit, KDDI and SingTel) are backing FASTER, a $300 million fiber optic cable that runs between Japan and the US.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/11/faster-undersea-cable/

It's always good to see progress on things like this.

They musta fired a LOT of employees to do this, as well as buying twitch

Diamond 5 in League :)

I love how their official map of the project seems to have been drawn in paint.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

Construction of FASTER will begin immediately and the system is targeted to be ready-for-service during the second quarter of 2016

wow  thats fast !

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

if they could do me a favor and run one to my house that would be great

There are literally thousands of these cables already. Why is it special when Google does it?

because google wont throttle our signals?

corsair 600t, msi z87-g45, intel 4770k, 16g patriot viper low-pro ram, asus direct cu2 780, crucial 256gig ssd, seagate baracuda 1tb,

As someone who is so close to Google fiber I can honestly say I know the feeling.

The existing cables belong to companies that have nothing to do with residential ISPs. They would not benifit in any way by throttling any connection that goes over their networks.

As someone who is so close to Google fiber I can honestly say I know the feeling.

i just moved from a place they were projected to be installing it

corsair 600t, msi z87-g45, intel 4770k, 16g patriot viper low-pro ram, asus direct cu2 780, crucial 256gig ssd, seagate baracuda 1tb,

The companies/organizations that control the undersea cables don't throttle anything. The cable has a physical capacity, ISPs can buy capacity on that line (although I'm pretty sure there are more middle-men ISPs and that regular ISPs don't buy direct capacity to those undersea cables) But anyways, they buy capacity on that line, and when their subscribers are saturating all the capacity the ISP has purchased, the ISP can either buy more capacity, costing the ISP money, or they can throttle users. Most ISPs just throttle users because they're greedy cheap arses.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

There are literally thousands of these cables already. Already multiple existing cbales that go from the US to Japan. Why is it special when Google does it?

Fiber

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

Oh yes be happy and rejoice, for dark days lie ahead. A dark storm is creeping closer silent but deadly.

No but srsly nowadays google has their fingers everywhere when they succeed with this ( they will), then they will be in complete control of everything. The time I get completely suspicious is if google somehow teams up with facebook.

Fiber

What are you trying to say? All undersea cables are fiber optic...

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Google.. Google everywhere. Skynet is just around the corner... Oh wait http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/24/5835708/google-x-labs-artificial-intelligence-elon-musk-terminator

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Omg that's great, as much as google is such a big company and basically could say fuck you I'm charging you this much for this. I still love them.

Project Restomod (In progress)

The time I get completely suspicious is if google somehow teams up with facebook.

Are you fucking serious? Facebook is literally Google's biggest rival.

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

There are literally thousands of these cables already. Already multiple existing cbales that go from the US to Japan. Why is it special when Google does it?

There are thousands of Gigabit ethernet or coaxial cables, but the proposed cable could carry up to 58 terabits (it's a compound cable).

What are you trying to say? All undersea cables are fiber optic...

That's not remotely true. They're mostly coaxial and twisted copper. The only really big fiber cables run from NY to London, LA to Beijing, and Orlando to Paris.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

There are thousands of Gigabit ethernet or coaxial cables, but the proposed cable could carry up to 58 terabits (it's a compound cable). 

You think the highest capacity submarine cable can carry 1gbps?

The cable this article is about is nothign special at all. It doesnt deserve a news article. I just dont understand why people think Google has invented something new with Google fibre or this article.

You think the highest capacity submarine cable can carry 1gbps?

The cable this article is about is nothign special at all. It doesnt deserve a news article. I just dont understand why people think Google has invented something new with Google fibre or this article.

No one is saying Google is inventing anything new. They're just being charitable(rare these days). Of the existing submarine cables, the biggest supports about 5 terabits. This will support 10x that.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/11/faster-undersea-cable/

It's always good to see progress on things like this.

I love diving under the sea:)

Stop reminding me about it:P I just miss it so hard:( But I can only dive ealiest next summer:(

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

ThatD-be-great.jpg

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

That's not remotely true. They're mostly coaxial and twisted copper. The only really big fiber cables run from NY to London, LA to Beijing, and Orlando to Paris.

So this map of tons of fiber optic cables is a lie?

SeaCableHi.jpg

So this map of tons of fiber optic cables is a lie?

SeaCableHi.jpg

A lot of that map is coaxial, and the red flag that this isn't the most well-learned source is the use of terabytes in bandwidth instead of terabits.