Guns in the USA.

Keen_Interest

Yes it should not go unchecked.  It should also not have any laws passed based on emotion.  The absolute worse thing you can do is pass any law at all just to say you "did something" in order to appease emotions of people.  That is simply not how a society is run.  

Instead the first thing that should be done is enforcing the laws actually on the books.  Our legal system cannot even do that and they want to pass new ones that would be 100x harder to enforce?  It just does not compute.  Change the way the ATF works and have them dealing more with FFA fraud and straw purchases than running guns to freaking mexico.  

We also gotta figure out a way to deal with the mentally ill.  We have a law that was passed in 1968 to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill but there is one big problem.  The problem is political correctness and the desire to save money means we now treat mentally ill people much differently than we did in 1968.  We no longer institutionalize most of them and mental health workers are not diagnosing the dangerous ones as such to where the laws in place would affect them.  That needs to change.  We need to get a better handle on the mental health aspect of this.  We need better treatment for those that are mentally ill and we need them in a database more readily for the NICS checks to actually deny them.  The guy that shot up the movie theatre in Colorado his shrink should have had him declared mentally unfit but they did not.  If they had it would have stopped that tragedy.  If anything that was the fault of the mental health workers that had contact with him because the laws are in place for them to take action,  they simply chose not too.  

Yeah, agreed. The proposed laws that are floating around now aren't going to change the situation. They're there to look good. The real solution will come from something that isn't so direct, there's just nothing that can be done short of a nation wide recall (which is obviously completely and utterly impossible/unconstitutional/etc in so many ways) that's going to change anything. There's already that many guns in circulation.

Yeah, agreed. The proposed laws that are floating around now aren't going to change the situation. They're there to look good. The real solution will come from something that isn't so direct, there's just nothing that can be done short of a nation wide recall (which is obviously completely and utterly impossible/unconstitutional/etc in so many ways) that's going to change anything. There's already that many guns in circulation.

Yep.  My biggest hope is that they do not stop trying to combat the mental health side because they lost on the gun control side.  Sadly it looks like that is what they are doing.  Unfortunately to me this shows me that they were more interested in gun control and less interested in actually solving the problem with is poverty and mental health.  We desperately need to improve our mental health system in this country and we need to get a handle on gangs and inner city violence and the root of that which is poverty and joblessness.  

That's fantastic.

But I'm still happy, and I still don't care. Feels good man.

Political apathy is such a great way to view issues.

if EVERY SINGLE PERSON had a gun, you'd be crazy to pull yours out!

Well, there's a reason why the worst mass shootings happen in gun free zones.

I saw a video of cops knocking down a door of a house without a warrant and I decided I will get a firearm one day to defend myself from abusive police

i3-2120|4gb 1333|GTX 650ti 1gb|Fractal R4|Corsair 430w 

I saw a video of cops knocking down a door of a house without a warrant and I decided I will get a firearm one day to defend myself from abusive police

A year or so ago my state passed a law where it is lawful to use deadly force against a cop acting illegally (ie breaking into your house without a warrant)

A year or so ago my state passed a law where it is lawful to use deadly force against a cop acting illegally (ie breaking into your house without a warrant)

What a great country we live in.......

i3-2120|4gb 1333|GTX 650ti 1gb|Fractal R4|Corsair 430w 

What a great country we live in.......

Well they passed it because there were a few legal issues that came up in the previous I think 2 years where basically a police officer abused his power and the person he abused it on was left in an awkward situation where it is a cop,  you are not supposed to resist or even defend yourself against a cop or you get in even worse trouble.  So all they really did was define that if a cop is acting unlawfully they are to be treated as any other person attacking you or breaking into your property etc.  

Man, if a person who's job it is to enforce the law broke into my house I would DEFINITELY want to kill them. There's clearly no situation where that would happen without reason.

........ Murrica

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

I think every one has the right to defend them selfs.

In the USA its taken a little bit out of context. When a gun law is tearing down the mentality of a country its really gone to far. When the goverment has to hire guards to guard the schools from a gun massacre.

Even if the government of America decides to put a ban against people owning guns (unless for specific reasons etc etc). Would they have to retrieve all the guns the people own?

It would be next to impossible to do that wouldn't it

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

I think every one has the right to defend them selfs.

In the USA its taken a little bit out of context. When a gun law is tearing down the mentality of a country its really gone to far. When the goverment has to hire guards to guard the schools from a gun massacre.

Not quite sure what you are trying to say.  Nothing is being torn down here.  We had a tragic event.  It was unfortunate.  Some people got real emotional and tried to pass unconstitutional laws.  They were swatted down.  Life goes on.  As bad as some people try to make things out in the US you should realize we are still talking about less than 1/2 of 1/2 of 1/2 of 1/2 of 1% of the population murdered each year by a firearm of any kind.  Its a media created frenzy because they have 24 hour news cycles now and need something to report on.  

Even if the government of America decides to put a ban against people owning guns (unless for specific reasons etc etc). Would they have to retrieve all the guns the people own?

It would be next to impossible to do that wouldn't it

They could have an armisits (sorry, can't spell it) So that people could turn in weapons without fear of prosecution, but I doubt many people would hand their guns over..

They could have an armisits (sorry, can't spell it) So that people could turn in weapons without fear of prosecution, but I doubt many people would hand their guns over..

We actually have a lot of those in the US.  They are done on the city level though not national level.  Here is what happens.  They call them gun buybacks.  Old people take non functional guns to get 200 bucks.  The police then bring out guns they confiscated in tax seizures and claim those were teh guns turned in.  In reality its all old revolvers that are falling apart and single shot shotguns duct taped together.  

I've learnt not to discuss this subject with Americans... I once commented on YouTube about removing guns and stuff - got 10 people that were raging at me, 9 of them were from the USA. 

Personally I don't think weapons should be allowed in that extent, but just as we in the Netherlands have our things we want to keep that others think of is crazy, I bet that's the same for Americans.

Feel free to disagree, I think I've had the worst people after me already ;)

So many things I could write here... things like this.

I've learnt not to discuss this subject with Americans... I once commented on YouTube about removing guns and stuff - got 10 people that were raging at me, 9 of them were from the USA. 

Personally I don't think weapons should be allowed in that extent, but just as we in the Netherlands have our things we want to keep that others think of is crazy, I bet that's the same for Americans.

Feel free to disagree, I think I've had the worst people after me already ;)

Well I think many americans simply get annoyed at people in other countries trying to tell us what we should and should not be able to do.  I imagine none of the australians here would not appreciate if I made a statements on what they should and should not be able to do in their country.  

Well I think many americans simply get annoyed at people in other countries trying to tell us what we should and should not be able to do.  I imagine none of the australians here would not appreciate if I made a statements on what they should and should not be able to do in their country.  

Normally I would react to your comment by saying some things that would make people mad at me, especially Americans... I am not making this up, I've had this happen to me before ;)

So besides this little headsup I won't say anything about the weapons.

So many things I could write here... things like this.

You may not do it personally, but I don't think any nationality is free of people that try to tell others how to live..

• 2 years later...

2 year bump

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

2 year bump

Why?

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

2 year bump

7329b4cf_threadNecromancy.jpg

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Don't revive dead threads please

Why not? Interesting poll?

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

There's probably several (dozen) of similar threads here, more-or-less prone for flame wars, but still less-so than threads about religion(s).

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

iirc it against coc

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com