[Updated 8/11/14]Asus ROG Swift PG278Q 1440p G-Sync Monitor coming the week of August 25th in North America!

ChrisxIxCross

Asus is trolling as always :(

What a joke.... Lol you think if the see how much people changed their mind about this monitor, theyll keep the 649$ price tag? xD 

jk, i know it will never hapopen....   :unsure: 

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

Viewing angles are still pretty bad, that's just inherent to the TN technology. Usually I wouldn't mind that much, but for a 27'' screen it will definitely be noticeable, even if you look straight at it or if you are just slightly off angle.

ah, well i've never owned a high end TN or IPS before :( just stuck choosing  between them, i've been advised to go IPS Asus monitor. at £400.

this monitor, the Swift ROG one, is completely useless for me. £720 to start with. I bought a 290 a few months back so G-sync will be useless and im not a competitive gamer, i dont need the 144hz. im quite OK with 60hz right now.

only play dota, time to time bf4, COD, counter strike and single player games. and i still kick ass :D:D:D

Wow, that's bullcrap. I was super excited thinking they lowered the price. I can afford it if it's $800 but if they lower it then that's even better. Oh well, I guess the best comes with a price. :)

If I was in the US.. I would buy it in a heartbeat.. I miss my old 120Hz monitor that I sold to get an IPS monitor.. even when the quality is a lot better, I regret that deeply..

Right I love Ips and Pls panels but when it comes to gaming and applications that feature a lot of motion I just can't help but feel how sluggish they are. I plan on using two monitors the Swift for gaming and the other for media. I don't understand all the hate people are throwing I mean you can have the best of both worlds if your desk is big enough. No one is telling you to get rid of your older monitor / not to buy an Ips

I'm waiting for a massive price drop to around $500 like the older version of the PB278Q. It was $800 in February and in June it was $500. Either that or wait for a G-Sync 4k monitor to come out.

I'm waiting for a massive price drop to around $500 like the older version of the PB278Q. It was $800 in February and in June it was $500. Either that or wait for a G-Sync 4k monitor to come out.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-065-AC

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

Even though I'm kind of let down they briefly screwed up offering $649 US for the thing... I admit I check my usual Canadian sites every single day for the possibility of pre-order...

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

And $1000 where I live!

(if it will ever be available)

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

ah, well i've never owned a high end TN or IPS before :( just stuck choosing  between them, i've been advised to go IPS Asus monitor. at £400.

this monitor, the Swift ROG one, is completely useless for me. £720 to start with. I bought a 290 a few months back so G-sync will be useless and im not a competitive gamer, i dont need the 144hz. im quite OK with 60hz right now.

only play dota, time to time bf4, COD, counter strike and single player games. and i still kick ass :D:D:D

Even VA panels are heaps better than a TN one. People who defend TN on these forums don't get it, viewing angles don't magically fix themselves, it's a flaw with TN panels. It's bad enough on a 24" monitor, I could only imagine how bad those angles would be on larger monitors. I really don't get hardcore PC gamers sometimes. They spend top dollar for the best cards, but go with crappy monitors because of milliseconds instead of caring about the monitor as a whole. For what Asus wants for this thing, there is no reason not to get their own brand of 1440 IPS monitors instead if you want something from them.

If you need 1ms to not suck at a game, it's not the game, it's the player. Those with more sense would get a real monitor.

Would you say all G-Sync monitors are not a "real" monitors?

Currently there are no G-Sync IPS or VA panels.

I wonder if the price drop will cause some corners to be cut on the release, idk how else they would achieve that high of a price drop

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

Even VA panels are heaps better than a TN one. People who defend TN on these forums don't get it, viewing angles don't magically fix themselves, it's a flaw with TN panels. It's bad enough on a 24" monitor, I could only imagine how bad those angles would be on larger monitors. I really don't get hardcore PC gamers sometimes. They spend top dollar for the best cards, but go with crappy monitors because of milliseconds instead of caring about the monitor as a whole. For what Asus wants for this thing, there is no reason not to get their own brand of 1440 IPS monitors instead if you want something from them.

If you need 1ms to not suck at a game, it's not the game, it's the player. Those with more sense would get a real monitor.

boom shakalaka. you couldnt be more right about dem gamers. i Deffo dont need 1ms, use 5ms at the moment, i really dont see it giving me any advantages. i was originally gonna buy the Asus IPS, or Dell. i think im sticking with that decision. Also i got an AMD card. so G-sync can fuck off, i aint paying £150 more for something i cant use.

thanks for the advice!

For me, being colorblind as a blind bat, I don't need the color reproduction that comes with more expensive panels. I've also never had a interest in larger screens, unless it's a TV, so I'm happy with the viewing angles on my TN since I only ever sit right in front of it. I have a TV for movies. I agree with the response times, I haven't noticed a difference between 1 and 5ms (and I'm pretty sure no one can). I've got no reason to spend more on an IPS or VA monitor, and that's part of the reason I'm not going to spend $650 on a g-sync monitor. It's too much money for something I don't really need, like IPS or VA.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

Im guessing its that other 1080p model? If it is that's a terrible deal lol. 

I also adjusted the poll since your not in the US. 

not really, the benq xl2420z is only $30 less or something like that.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

I'd rather an IPS with adaptive-sync @ 1440p :P

Processor: AMD FX8320 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO 2.0 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz

Graphics: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair Carbine 500R Drives: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD & Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD

There is no price drop! The thread title really needs updating.

Updated

There are a few problems with this argument.

1. There are currently no Gsync monitors in anything other than TN (that will, of course, change)

2. Absolutely no other panel besides TN can do 3D Vision (this will not change)

3. This monitor can do 144hz, there is no VA or IPS monitor on the planet that can reach that. Even the overclocking monitors tend to top out around 120 on average, some VERY few can go higher.

4. Speaking of the overclocking monitors even the ones that can reach 120hz can't do it without significant quality loss and there is still a question of whether or not it harms the lifespan of the monitor (at least that was the case the last time I checked).

So you are right about color reproduction, viewing angles, and response time (to a point at least) there are reasons for people to look at a TN panel over the better panels.

3. This monitor can do 144hz, there is no VA or IPS monitor on the planet that can reach that. Even the overclocking monitors tend to top out around 120 on average, some VERY few can go higher.

The eizo 240Hz is a VA panel, not TN. 

People who defend TN on these forums don't get it, viewing angles don't magically fix themselves, it's a flaw with TN panels.

I really don't get hardcore PC gamers sometimes.

I think I discovered your issue.  It is not often that what can be considered a "hardcore PC gamer" would be playing games while sitting 2 feet to the left or right side of their monitor.  I would wager (though I have no scientific data) that most hardcore PC gamers play their games while sitting directly in front of the monitor.

So your confusion or disbelief of how people can defend TN panels probably stems from the fact that while playing PC games, the so-called hardcore gamers do so in a way that causes TN panels' flaws to be quite irrelevant.

If it was 4K 120Hz G-Sync IPS (good IPS though) I would pay £2000 for it though.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Yep over 1K in Australia... Hopefully I can source at that cheaper price from the US sources like other gear

yeah pc case gear has it for 1000, I truthfully think if it was at 700 in australia i would consider it.

in its current price point your better off getting a 30inch ips for abit more.

especially since you can get a aoc 144hz g sync 24" for pretty much half the price

Its all about those volumetric clouds

The eizo 240Hz is a VA panel, not TN. 

Huh. Well. I did not know about that one. Interesting. Though, to nitpick, it's not really a 240hz panel. It's a 120hz panel that doubles frames. Still interesting though.