[Updated 8/11/14]Asus ROG Swift PG278Q 1440p G-Sync Monitor coming the week of August 25th in North America!

ChrisxIxCross

Wow, can't wait till it hits the stores in North America. 500EUR=670$. I don't get why ASUS charges 800$ for a 1440p TN panel at 144Hz but the Acer 2160p TN Panel at 60Hz only costs roughly 670$.

That's 500 GBP not Euros. Even so, the non-VAT 416.66 GBP equates to about $700 which is what this monitor should be in the US. For once, imports seem better if customs duty wasn't applied.

It is 1.180$ here in Denmark. Also I just saw this in the product page:

Does this mean that I wouldn't be able to hook up 2 monitors on the sides for simply productivity and not surround gaming?

Does this mean that I wouldn't be able to hook up 2 monitors on the sides for simply productivity and not surround gaming?

Looks like you can, but these monitors ONLY have a displayport. And nvidia graphics cards only have 1 dp port. It does sound like adding more monitors to second/third SLI card does not work, but who really knows. As for daisychaining: Running these monitors in like 60hz, might work, but again, it's not properly stated. This monitor really is an odd one, with very little compatability. 

I just hope new graphics cards will drop the DVI ports, and only have multiple DP's and maybe 1 HDMI port.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I won't be buying this. 800 USD is kinda steep for a TN panel with Gsync enabled. It wouldn't fit on my desk anyways. If there was something more reasonable on the market at around 400$ I would be interested. At 800 dollars though it's out of the realm of someone with a modest budget, like me.

I can wait a couple years, when the technology drops in price.

Why is there no ETA for Europe?

FFS

Been waiting for months.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

Not sure why everyone is ripping on it because it is a TN panel. Every review out seems to indicate that it is one of the highest quality TN panels to date. It will still have some flaws but the overall quality is still there, this isn't a cheap TN panel. The price tag is mostly due to the hype and technology involved with the display. You always pay more for cutting edge stuff, this is the first quality GSync monitor which again every review site indicates as a future standard (gsync,adaptive sync, freesync). You pay the premium to get it now.

I'll probably grab 1. 

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

Not sure why everyone is ripping on it because it is a TN panel.

I'll make it simple for you: Because they are utter morons and they get off by saying it.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

Why is there no ETA for Europe?

FFS

Been waiting for months.

eta for EU is August 29th http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-070-AS

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

3 retailers have it available here in Switzerland ATM, but they are overcharging, going to wait a few more days.

So it only has 1 display port and no hdmi's. Does a display port to hdmi cable exist? Would like to play the xbox one Halo Master Chief Collection on this when it comes out in November.

FYI, im not getting this just for Halo, but for PC gaming now and would like to also use it with my xbone down the line.

So it only has 1 display port and no hdmi's. Does a display port to hdmi cable exist? Would like to play the xbox one Halo Master Chief Collection on this when it comes out in November.

FYI, im not getting this just for Halo, but for PC gaming now and would like to also use it with my xbone down the line.

Yes of course there are plenty to choose from on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_11?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=hdmi%20to%20displayport&sprefix=hdmi+to+dis%2Caps%2C256 You might also be interested in the XIM4 which allows for keyboard/ mouse on xbone - http://store.xim4.com/XIM4-COMING-SOON_p_13.html

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

Yes of course there are plenty to choose from on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_11?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=hdmi%20to%20displayport&sprefix=hdmi+to+dis%2Caps%2C256 You might also be interested in the XIM4 which allows for keyboard/ mouse on xbone - http://store.xim4.com/XIM4-COMING-SOON_p_13.html

Holy crap, you could rape console players so badly using a mouse and keyboard LOL.

Looks like they only support resolutions up to 1080p =(.

Is that G-Sync module going to be able to support an HDMI connection though? ...I'm not sure. 

Has anybody tested it? 

Holy crap, you could rape console players so badly using a mouse and keyboard LOL.

Looks like they only support resolutions up to 1080p =(.

You can't get a bigger resolution on the console anyway so no harm done.

Is that G-Sync module going to be able to support an HDMI connection though? ...I'm not sure. 

Has anybody tested it? 

How do you define support? G-sync only works on displayport, and g-sync monitors only comes with displayports at this moment. Both Nvidia and AMD has said g-sync and adaptive sync will not come to hdmi any time soon. Would be nice to see HDMI adopt adaptive sync as well. But I agree with Linus: G-sync is prett much dead now that adaptive sync is an industry standard.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

How do you define support? G-sync only works on displayport, and g-sync monitors only comes with displayports at this moment. Both Nvidia and AMD has said g-sync and adaptive sync will not come to hdmi any time soon. Would be nice to see HDMI adopt adaptive sync as well. But I agree with Linus: G-sync is prett much dead now that adaptive sync is an industry standard.

Oh. I was just replying to the guy above who was wondering if a HDMI/DP adapter would work. I guess not ...?

Oh. I was just replying to the guy above who was wondering if a HDMI/DP adapter would work. I guess not ...?

It should work fine consoles have amd hardware and dont support gsync so it shouldnt matter. 

It should work fine consoles have amd hardware and dont support gsync so it shouldnt matter. 

Yes but they don't have DP connections. AMD graphics cards with DP will work fine (obviously you won't get G-Sync in this case). 

founds this:

http://rog.asus.com/339252014/gaming-monitors/faq-rog-swift-pg278q-27-inch-g-sync-gaming-monitor/

Can DVI/HDMI be converted to DP via adapter?
  • DVI-DL does not have the bandwidth to support 2560 x 1440 at 144 Hz.
  • We do not recommend using an HDMI to DP adapter as this is not qualified or supported in Nvidia drivers.

Could somebody explain the benefit of a 120/144Hz panel if my frame rates are in the 30-60 range (console)? Is there any point? 

For instance, if I am getting 30 fps on a 60Hz monitor - I will be getting repeating frames. 30x each second...(right?).

If I get the same 30 fps on a 120Hz monitor, there will be even more repeating frames - 90x each second in this case. 

So why does having a higher refresh rate make the motion appear smoother when fps doesn't change? Won't we just see repeated frames (lag/stutter)?

What's the deal with the 240Hz panels saying they make sports broadcasts appear smoother...? How?  :wacko:

Could somebody explain the benefit of a 120/144Hz panel if my frame rates are in the 30-60 range (console)? Is there any point? 

For instance, if I am getting 30 fps on a 60Hz monitor - I will be getting repeating frames. 30x each second...(right?).

If I get the same 30 fps on a 120Hz monitor, there will be even more repeating frames - 90x each second in this case. 

So why does having a higher refresh rate make the motion appear smoother when fps doesn't change? Won't we just see repeated frames (lag/stutter)?

What's the deal with the 240Hz panels saying they make sports broadcasts appear smoother...? How?  :wacko:

I'm surprised that you're here yet you don't have a basic understanding of how refresh rates work on PC monitors...

You are talking about high Hz TVs. Monitor refresh rates are completely different from TV refresh rates.

Once an TV's refresh rate goes above the rate of the content you're watching or game you're playing, it starts performing tricks to produce a higher frame rate. It interpolates new frames between the frames transmitted to the display, it fills in the spaces by generating the best "middle" frames to stick in the cracks. These new frames are made by combining and processing the data of the frames surrounding them, generating the images the TV thinks it should draw between the images it's told to draw by the media.

PC monitors truly update the screen X times in a second and they do not have interpolation.

It does not make lower framerates look better, 60 fps at 60hz and 60 fps at 120hz on a PC monitor look exactly the same.

Right...I had heard of interpolation. Thanks for clearing that up. 

It makes sense now...60fps @ 60Hz will look the same as 60 @ 120Hz because even though it is repeating frames on the 120Hz monitor, it is doing it at twice the speed. Each frame will still be on screen for ~16ms.

Thanks...I had confused myself.