Lynda trial *update* DO NOT DO IT

LarryBC

Anyone else having trouble with the Lynda trial from the Wan Show sponsorship? I signed up for the 7 day trail through www.lynda.com/wanshow and now I can't cancel the auto-renewing subscription.

Membership type

OTL Standard Monthly - TrialURL - podcast_youtube_wanshow_7D_2014_07_08

Expiration date

Subscription auto-renews; your next bill date is Sunday, July 27, 2014.

according to their FAQ:

How do I cancel my account?

When you are logged in, hold the cursor over your name at the top right of any lynda.com page to see the account menu. 
1. Select the my account menu located at the top of any lynda.com page.
2. Select account + billing.
3. Select the Change or cancel my membership link.
4. Select the Cancel my membership button at the bottom of the page
5. Next, if you wish, select a reason you are canceling your membership from lynda.com. 
6. Lastly select YES, cancel my account.

I have no "cancel my membership" button at the bottom of that page.

Sent an email to customer support. They sent me a reply appologizing for the technical issue and

Per your request, your membership has been canceled.

Yet, in my account it still says

Expiration date

Subscription auto-renews; your next bill date is Sunday, July 27, 2014.

Not sure if it actually is cancelled or if I'm going to be billed at the end of the trial. I'll write an update once the trial is over, but I'm interested in knowing if others are having the same issue with this *free* trial.

Anyone else having trouble with the Lynda trial from the Wan Show sponsorship? I signed up for the 7 day trail through www.lynda.com/wanshow and now I can't cancel the auto-renewing subscription.

according to their FAQ:

Sent an email to customer support. They sent me a reply appologizing for the technical issue and

Not sure if it actually is cancelled or if I'm going to be billed at the end of the trial. I'll write an update once the trial is over, but I'm interested in knowing if others are having the same issue with this *free* trial.

I haven't used the trial, as I currently have no use for the service (maybe in the future), but as long as you keep that email as proof from Customer Support, then you'll be fine. If for whatever reason they do bill you, kindly reply back forwarding (or taking a screen shot) of the original emails. Worst case, PM Slick and/or Linus.

But honestly I'd just wait until the period is up and see what happens. Could just be a website glitch. Hopefully now that you've alerted them to the bug, they'll fix it ASAP.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Did you give them any billing information?

Is this required for the trial? Just asking since I am thinking about giving Lynda.com a try, too.

Well, if you haven't don't sweat it. They probably ask you after your trial has expired if you want to stay.

Well it looks like my concerns were appropriate. My trial is over and even though they specifically told me by email that my membership would be cancelled after the trial, I was still billed on July 27th.

7fCetRD.png

To others that are considering the free trial I strongly suggest you do not. It's not really free. You have to give them your billing info to get the trial and your account is set to auto-renew once the trial is over. They give you no option to cancel it. Do not sign up for it unless you do plan on paying for at least a full month.

Motlvd6.png

"but you won''t be charged unless you continue with a paid membership after the trial." is disingeuous. They have no option to cancel. You are forced to continue with a paid membership after the trial.

KBU7ZxY.png

Interesting how the "change or cancel my membership" link only shows up after they've billed you.

Even if it's not a malicious issue (something I doubt, this is kind of the way trials are set up, I worked on AOL for a bit after all) it's still at best a huge incentive NOT to use the sponsor just to help '] out, hopefully it is an isolated mistake and all but yeah, perhaps merits looking into it.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just cancel the direct debits from your bank if you want to be sure.

never give ur billing information if u arent going to pay to some one/some website >_>!.

or use prepaid card for such things with 0 balance.

I forwarded your info to Lynda. Hopefully you will hear back soon.

It may be helpful to post your account number or something in this thread so they can refer to that when dealing with this. I'm sure we'll get it sorted out for you.

Linus

If I were you, I'd just email them and tell them that I'm going to do a chargeback if they don't fix this quickly.

@LarryBC Our lynda.com contact has let me know that this thread has been passed over to their customer service dept. This should be resolved soon.

If you don't hear from them feel free to send me a pm.

And this is why I don't do trial ANYTHING if it requires billing information in order to receive said trial, which is most things sadly.

Although I did quite enjoy my Dollar Shave Club kit, still only on my second blade out of the 4 pack I ordered, and cancellation was quite easy. When I get another jerb I will definitely be going back to them.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Although I did quite enjoy my Dollar Shave Club kit, still only on my second blade out of the 4 pack I ordered, and cancellation was quite easy. When I get another jerb I will definitely be going back to them.

Might sound like I'm just towing the company line with this, but I legitimately think Dollar Shave Club is an awesome service.

Ordered it for three months, and now I have about 8 extra blades as I don't grow much facial hair (Taran and Luke put me to shame...) and don't need to change blades more than about once per month.

Like you said, cancellation was super easy. Really like those guys.

I got my refund. Thanks to the admins and Linus for helping out here. I thought it was kind of sketchy but they gave me 30 days of membership to apologize for the technical mishap, so all is well.

Might sound like I'm just towing the company line with this, but I legitimately think Dollar Shave Club is an awesome service.

Ordered it for three months, and now I have about 8 extra blades as I don't grow much facial hair (Taran and Luke put me to shame...) and don't need to change blades more than about once per month.

Like you said, cancellation was super easy. Really like those guys.

One thing I liked was that they did not do what far too many companies do these days, which is to include in their EULA that quote

"It may take up to 30 days to process your cancellation request"

Which in my opinion is a shitty way for a company to cut your service now, and still get away with charging you for another month of service (specifically, gold's gym did this to me, and I will never use them again because of it, since it caused an overdraft on my account). Far too many companies get away with this, there is absolutely NO EXCUSE, in this day and age, for it taking "30 days to process your request" considering that I was able to sign up with them, and immediately start using their facilities in about 20 minutes.

No, with Dollar Shave Club, they just said "Ok, we're sorry you have to cancel, would you mind telling us why?" and I told them and it was done. No BS, no sneaky was to charge me extra, just instant good customer service.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

One thing I liked was that they did not do what far too many companies do these days, which is to include in their EULA that quote

"It may take up to 30 days to process your cancellation request"

Which in my opinion is a shitty way for a company to cut your service now, and still get away with charging you for another month of service (specifically, gold's gym did this to me, and I will never use them again because of it, since it caused an overdraft on my account). Far too many companies get away with this, there is absolutely NO EXCUSE, in this day and age, for it taking "30 days to process your request" considering that I was able to sign up with them, and immediately start using their facilities in about 20 minutes.

No, with Dollar Shave Club, they just said "Ok, we're sorry you have to cancel, would you mind telling us why?" and I told them and it was done. No BS, no sneaky was to charge me extra, just instant good customer service.

Totally agree!

I had the same experience with Steve Nash Fitness World. I will never use their service again, and I make sure that, if I have a conversation about gym memberships, I mention how poorly I was treated as a customer so that others will hopefully take their business elsewhere.

Dollar Shave is awesome. Great to deal with as both a customer and an advertiser. When I run out of blades I will definitely be reupping my membership with them.

Dollar Shave is awesome. Great to deal with as both a customer and an advertiser. When I run out of blades I will definitely be reupping my membership with them.

If I needed a new razor, I'd probably go with DSC based on their commercials, but the blade value for money doesn't seem that great.

Edit: Canada doesn't seem to get the same deal, in that case - good value. :huh:

This is why I never sign up to free trials that make you give them your payment details straight away.

And this is why I don't do trial ANYTHING if it requires billing information in order to receive said trial, which is most things sadly.

Meh, Double edge razors are much better. Plus, shaving old school can be pretty fun, now shaving is a leisure. Holy crap i sound like an infomercial but what they say is really true, once you ditch the gunk in a can and the shitty cartridge razor, your face and wallet will thank you.

/r/wicked_edge if you want more info

Meh, Double edge razors are much better. Plus, shaving old school can be pretty fun, now shaving is a leisure. Holy crap i sound like an infomercial but what they say is really true, once you ditch the gunk in a can and the shitty cartridge razor, your face and wallet will thank you.

I didn't care for my double edge. Didn't get any closer or smoother than my cartridge. Still had same-day stubble, still had nicks and burns, and it took about 3 times longer. So my face didn't thank me, and wallet.. $20-$30 for a handle. Sure, the blades are a bit cheaper, but mine came with some waxy adhesive on them and didn't perform very well.

Brushed lather I can agree with, that does a better job than the canned stuff for me. Glad the DE works for you, but it won't for everyone. Maybe it's my growth or grain, but I got better results from a cartridge.

I didn't care for my double edge. Didn't get any closer or smoother than my cartridge. Still had same-day stubble, still had nicks and burns, and it took about 3 times longer. So my face didn't thank me, and wallet.. $20-$30 for a handle. Sure, the blades are a bit cheaper, but mine came with some waxy adhesive on them and didn't perform very well.

Brushed lather I can agree with, that does a better job than the canned stuff for me. Glad the DE works for you, but it won't for everyone. Maybe it's my growth or grain, but I got better results from a cartridge.

Sucks that you didn't find the right tool for you. Most people buy a blade sampler pack to see which one their face loves the most since everyone has different reactions. Buying a single brand of blades is pretty silly. As for spending $30 on a handle, it will last you all your life and you can pass it onto your grandchildren. 

And I don't think its because of the grain, I have very difficult hair growth so I just had to pick a sharper more durable blade, I guess. Try a polsilver super iridium or feathers. 

And you need to go with the grain, and then across and against, there is a nack to it and this is why i linked /r/wicked_edge. Granted, it will take 10ish minutes but i am in no rush. If you don't have the time, then fair enough

Sucks that you didn't find the right tool for you. Most people buy a blade sampler pack to see which one their face loves the most since everyone has different reactions. Buying a single brand of blades is pretty silly. As for spending $30 on a handle, it will last you all your life and you can pass it onto your grandchildren. 

And I don't think its because of the grain, I have very difficult hair growth so I just had to pick a sharper more durable blade, I guess. Try a polsilver super iridium or feathers. 

And you need to go with the grain, and then across and against, there is a nack to it and this is why i linked /r/wicked_edge. Granted, it will take 10ish minutes but i am in no rush. If you don't have the time, then fair enough

I tried 3 different brands before deciding to go back to cartridges - Derby, Feather, and Merkur. Feathers were the ones with the adhesive crap on them. I get that you want to find a perfect blade, but I felt like I was playing Russian roulette with my face. All of them skipped when shaving with the grain, irritated the hell out of my skin when across, and destroyed it when going against. "No pressure, let the blade do the work." Unless it can't, I suppose. I have thinner, fast-growing hair that grains towards my ears. I have the time, that's kinda why I got into the DE thing. I wanted the more enjoyable experience that everyone talked about, but if I can do better work in less time with a cartridge, all the better.

But maybe this could use its own thread. :huh:

I tried 3 different brands before deciding to go back to cartridges - Derby, Feather, and Merkur. Feathers were the ones with the adhesive crap on them. I get that you want to find a perfect blade, but I felt like I was playing Russian roulette with my face. All of them skipped when shaving with the grain, irritated the hell out of my skin when across, and destroyed it when going against. "No pressure, let the blade do the work." Unless it can't, I suppose. I have thinner, fast-growing hair that grains towards my ears. I have the time, that's kinda why I got into the DE thing. I wanted the more enjoyable experience that everyone talked about, but if I can do better work in less time with a cartridge, all the better.

But maybe this could use its own thread. :huh:

Hate to say it, but you're probably just terrible at shaving with a double edged razor. If you're like most people with the transition you're probably shaving as if it was a cartridge or you're not using soap.

Hate to say it, but you're probably just terrible at shaving with a double edged razor. If you're like most people with the transition you're probably shaving as if it was a cartridge or you're not using soap.

Tried for 3 weeks now with 3 different blades, with soap and cream properly applied with a brush and following a few different guides for a consistent angle, no movement, multiple passes, and pressure from the weight of the razor. Maybe I am just terrible with it, but that kind of helps illustrate my point that it might not be for everyone.

• 10 months later...

according to their FAQ:

The exact same issue I have...

As I have seen in this topic they where about ti fix this together with their tech. dept. but 1 year have passed and it is obvious they are still following this unethical practice! >:-E

The exact same issue I have...

As I have seen in this topic they where about ti fix this together with their tech. dept. but 1 year have passed and it is obvious they are still following this unethical practice! >:-E

If the cancel button is still not appearing, I would contact customer support again, and get them to verify that the account has been cancelled. Make sure that they explicitly state "Your account will not be billed" or something of that note.

If you have concerns about the service, and think there might be unethical practices, I would notify @LinusTech and share your story in detail.

Personally, I haven't used the service, so it could certainly just be a technical glitch, and not unethical practices, but if you feel otherwise, the best thing to do is share your experience with as much detail as possible.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)