Microsoft to merge all sepearte version of Windows into one

GoodBytes

Will my phone be compatible with desktop applications now?

Yeah that would be awesome. We'll have to wait for intel to get more into phones first though.

Finally, and while they are at at I hope they add in automagic sync between PCs as well, making all devices stay up to date neatly.

Cheers,

Linus

IKR? This seems like it would actually take more people to integrate each OS together and make it actually work.

Well that's not really that new. For some reason Barnacules still talks highly of them as an employer, but they're actually quite shitty: their "culture" is aimed at basically working you to the fucking bone, setting incredibly aggressive deadlines but not paying a dime of overtime and other practices like that.

The sad part is that so many people want to be in software development and IT fields it's overly saturated so this kind of labour abuse has become "industry standard" Working at places like Valve or Google is a rarity.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Pretty obvious direction if you ask me. Metro being introduced on Windows 8 after tablets was a clear indication.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

IKR? This seems like it would actually take more people to integrate each OS together and make it actually work.

Exactly what I'm thinking, and I'm tired, so that's saying something.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Satya you better kill bing and XBOX projects and focus on PC GAMING! Otherwise soon mantle will be on Linux! Games will be on Linux, because of Steam OS and good bye windows. Who would need that creepy OS? 

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

So does that mean using a surface for a server would be a bad idea? :P

I would totally go around hosting a mass game server on a Surface.

Windows 9 will be sh*t.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Here we go, now we're on the path to getting a UI that's designed for touch-surfaces on desktop PC's.

About as annoying as many sites these days being designed with mobiles in mind and barely take up half of a single moniter. Twitter and Youtube come to mind in that regard, fucking mobiles and tablets, jesus christ, wish I could just go back and live in the years before the iPhone over and over again.

I don't know how to feel about this because it isn't properly explained by Microsoft.

Microsoft, you failed with your original plans for the Xbox One because you aren't bothering with explaining anything and you're repeating that same thing, right now, with this decision.

What are you merging? Windows Desktop with mobile? Desktop with Server? Server with Mobile? Desktop, Server, and Mobile? Why are you doing this? What does this mean to us consumers? If I buy Windows 9, will that one license be valid on my surface, desktop and server as well? Will I need to have a Windows account because of DRM? Will a single Windows 9 installation have the option for desktop or server?

You're pulling a Xbone right now. I thought with Nadella on board we would start seeing actual thinking going on with the company, but it's pretty apparent that you're still idiots.

It's not a very well written article, but it sounds to me like they are trying to making all the different windows devices i.e phones, tablets, laptops compatible with each other so developers only have to code for one os and it will work on any windows devices including xbox <-  freak, no more exclusives?????.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if windows server maintained a separate developer team (because its intended use is quite different), but still used the front end from windows X.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I don't know how to feel about this because it isn't properly explained by Microsoft.

Microsoft, you failed with your original plans for the Xbox One because you aren't bothering with explaining anything and you're repeating that same thing, right now, with this decision.

What are you merging? Windows Desktop with mobile? Desktop with Server? Server with Mobile? Desktop, Server, and Mobile? Why are you doing this? What does this mean to us consumers? If I buy Windows 9, will that one license be valid on my surface, desktop and server as well? Will I need to have a Windows account because of DRM? Will a single Windows 9 installation have the option for desktop or server?

You're pulling a Xbone right now. I thought with Nadella on board we would start seeing actual thinking going on with the company, but it's pretty apparent that you're still idiots.

So your basing your decision that MS are failures and idiots on a poorly written article taking it's info from a financial address?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Windows on ARM is possible. Windows RT is just that. It could point that "Windows RT" will be be open like the x86 version that we use.

As for Windows Server I think it will still be sold separately, but Windows Server team will be same as the current Windows (which, that, was probably already the case).

I think what Microsoft meant, is Windows Phone, Windows, and Windows RT.

But what about programs, will Windows programs run on ARM?

Yeah, probably.

i'm a potato

Has anyone used Windows Server 2012? Having the Windows 8 interface on a server is really annoying.

Yes its quite irritating but luckily I barely have to touch my server

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

i think it's more or less talking about mobile and desktop

Processor: AMD FX8320 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO 2.0 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz

Graphics: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair Carbine 500R Drives: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD & Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD

Anyone else seeing horns on the new CEO's head? I am.

And now we know why they randomly laid off 18000 people.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Ok so they will merge all their shit into one big piece of shit.

Ok more seriously this is cool but I feel this should have be done way before.

Has anyone used Windows Server 2012? Having the Windows 8 interface on a server is really annoying.

2012 R2 yes.

It's not that bad. I find it better to use then Windows 8.1 for some reason.

Here we go, now we're on the path to getting a UI that's designed for touch-surfaces on desktop PC's.

About as annoying as many sites these days being designed with mobiles in mind and barely take up half of a single moniter. Twitter and Youtube come to mind in that regard, fucking mobiles and tablets, jesus christ, wish I could just go back and live in the years before the iPhone over and over again.

They said they will merge the OSes not the UI. People often assume that what they see is the OS but that is not true (just look at any linux distro where you can swap out a UI for another or just not even use a GUI at all.) The UI is the method of interacting with the OS. So they will have one OS that will present a different UI based on the form factor of the device or input method being used (a UI for KB/M and a UI for touch screens). The user won't have to select, it will just use the correct one automatically.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

This seems like a terrible idea.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

This seems like a terrible idea.

It's not, anyone with programming background such as myself will tell you it makes life a hell of a lot easier. Why manage several different branches of code among small teams, when you could have one big team collaborate on just a single branch of code. The idea behind this is to simply create a master source that works universal across all platforms. The operating system can easily detect what platform it is running on (x86, ARM, etc) and can execute only the code necessary for that particular platform. It is a brilliant idea and a logical step towards better maintaining cross platform source. Canonical plans on doing the very exact same thing with Ubuntu, so this practice has already been adopted in the field of operating systems.

It's not, anyone with programming background such as myself will tell you it makes life a hell of a lot easier. Why manage several different branches of code among small teams, when you could have one big team collaborate on just a single branch of code. The idea behind this is to simply create a master source that works universal across all platforms. Specify what the source should be compiled for (x86, ARM, etc) and the compiler directives will handle the rest. It is a brilliant idea and a logical step towards better maintaining cross platform source.

It may be good from a coding standpoint. But it will be very difficult to create a UI that will fit all of the different platforms running the os. Different types of users will use the os in different ways, and it will be difficult to make them all happy with a one size fits all approach.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|