How overpriced is alienware? Price comparison

Mao_Zedong

I decided to look at every computer alienware has, and look at the price of the best alternative I could find. these are the results. I have custom desktops, but if you want a prebuilt, just add around $100 for ncix. I am using both the cheapest and most expensive options available.

First if the cheapest Alienware Aurora Gaming Desktop. It is $1500, but you can get a similar pc for $1200 here: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DdhKK8

Second is the most expensive version of the Alienware Aurora Gaming Desktop. It is $5480, but you can get a similar pc for $4416 here http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pNfhFT

Next is the cheapest Alienware X51 Gaming Desktop. It is $700, and to get one custom it is $697 here http://pcpartpicker.com/p/C9gzhM (i couldn't find the silverstone raven rvz01 on pcpp, but it is $85)

Next is the most expensive Alienware X51 Gaming Desktop it $1487 is but you can get a similar one for $1202 here http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dJc4YJ (i think it may have been an incompatibility, but the case is $85)

The first laptop is the cheapest Alienware 14. it costs $1100, but you can buy the lenovo Y410p for $920. It has a bigger hdd, faster cpu, and better screen, though the keyboard isn't rgb.

Second is the most expensive Alienware 14. I couldn't find another with that cpu, so this is a slightly below max model. It costs $2200, and you can get an msi gs60 ghost (buy two 512gb SSDs) for the same price. The msi will have more storage space and is much thinner and lighter, the alianware has a very slightly better cpu and gpu, but is has less storage.

Next is the cheapest Alienware 17. It costs $1500, but you can get an asus G750JM for $1279. The asus has slightly better specs, the only disadvantage is that it doesn't have an rgb keyboard.

Next is the most expensive Alienware 17. It costs $4350, but you can get a sager NP9570 for $3484. The sager can also be upgraded some.

Finally is the Alienware 18s, there are no other 18" laptops that i know of, but you can get a sager NP9570 with dual gpus if thats what you need.

most of the alternitives could be replaced with sager laptops, but its good to have variety, and sager isn't perfect (though better than alienware).

Please like this post as it took quite a few hours to make. If you want me to add anything, tell me below.

link does not work on the most expensive aurora

person below me is a scrub

Well, this isn't exactly unknown. And RGB keyboards are just gimmicky. Sorry, but I think they are. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

This is a post I like. More evidence that Alienware is bad.

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

Alienware Laptop = Alright Value

Alienware Desktop = WTF WHY U SO EXPENSIVE

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

It's DELL, what did you expect...

xD

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

lianware in my opion are just another prebuilt computer company no diffrint than dell or hp exept they offer much better systems. honestly i had a friend who bought the top of line alianware and i wasent all that impressed with the cable managment in the computer. i ended up ripping it apart and redoing it for him. his came with a clean os on it thank god so its not as bad as dell or hp with their shit they load on their pcs.

It believe they are owned and ran by Dell actually.

alianware in my opion are just another prebuilt computer company no diffrint than dell or hp exept they offer much better systems. honestly i had a friend who bought the top of line alianware and i wasent all that impressed with the cable managment in the computer. i ended up ripping it apart and redoing it for him. his came with a clean os on it thank god so its not as bad as dell or hp with their shit they load on their pcs.

Dell owns the company and mass produces them, which is why cable management sucks in them. They used to be their own company but the original owner sold the company to Dell and then started OriginPC.

They use the cheapest parts that they can so they can make more profit, which is why even though the prices are close together on the lower end of the spectrum when compared with equivalent PC's, you're not necessarily getting higher quality components when compared to custom PC's.

Alienware Laptop = Alright Value

Alienware Desktop = WTF WHY U SO EXPENSIVE

Alright value... I don't think so the same spec laptop as mine at the time of purchase from them was £500 more expensive.

Its odd, dell laptops have amazing value, desktops from dell are ok, then there is alienware which ends horridly, it leaves a horrible stain in dells name. I am bias to dell however, i do have a lot of contacts in Dell and ive been in multiple focus groups from them, mainly focused on laptops where ive drilled it into their skulls to stay the hell away from TN panels, use 6 cell batteries and in the most recent focus group I thought it would be a great idea that the customer should have the ability to pay a fee to have no bloatware on the system, 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

If you're paying for looks, there's plenty of stylish cases out there, and for the money you buy these at you could just hire a case modder or something.

Personally I think pre-built Gaming PCs are stupid. I have never had a more satisfying moment in my life than the first time I built a PC and got it running, and if I can do it anyone can. Knowing that you're gaming on something you built yourself makes the PC gaming experience just that much sweeter in my eyes.

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

the laptops are alright, lots of laptops are that way, but the desktops are prebuilds so what do you expect 

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

I know I am gonna catch shit for it but stuff like the case design and lighting cost some money. In a lot of these comparisons it does not take into account that extra cost for things that would be considered mods in a self built case. They do not make up for the the extra cost I know but it is part of the cost. Also it is being built and shipped to you so you have to add cost to that. I think I heard on the WAN show that Slick used to charge $100 for labor on a build and companies like NCIX add about $50 to the parts price (I know both of these examples do a better job building computers than alienware but it is part of the cost) and you have to consider things like better packaging to get a full computer to your door. And the rest is basically because they can, they have spent a lot of money advertising their brand making it recognizable to the lay-man who just wants to buy something to game with.

If you're paying for looks, there's plenty of stylish cases out there, and for the money you buy these at you could just hire a case modder or something.

Personally I think pre-built Gaming PCs are stupid. I have never had a more satisfying moment in my life than the first time I built a PC and got it running, and if I can do it anyone can. Knowing that you're gaming on something you built yourself makes the PC gaming experience just that much sweeter in my eyes.

Is it bad that I built my first rig in the dark and dropped it twice? 

Probably still runs well. My step brother has it now.

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Lmao I'm interested as to why you did it in the dark to begin with.

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

now dell is fine, but not for gaming and the desktops are meah, if your office buys the pc for you then i suggest dell, just dont buy the xps 8700 for gaming like i did.

dell laptops are great, depending on my needs i would get one, and dell monitors are amazeballz, it just alienware that is a little shit stain on dells name

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

I know I am gonna catch shit for it but stuff like the case design and lighting cost some money. In a lot of these comparisons it does not take into account that extra cost for things that would be considered mods in a self built case. They do not make up for the the extra cost I know but it is part of the cost. Also it is being built and shipped to you so you have to add cost to that. I think I heard on the WAN show that Slick used to charge $100 for labor on a build and companies like NCIX add about $50 to the parts price (I know both of these examples do a better job building computers than alienware but it is part of the cost) and you have to consider things like better packaging to get a full computer to your door. And the rest is basically because they can, they have spent a lot of money advertising their brand making it recognizable to the lay-man who just wants to buy something to game with.

I addressed that in the first section, this is my quote "I have custom desktops, but if you want a prebuilt, just add around $100 for ncix."

Lmao I'm interested as to why you did it in the dark to begin with.

You know what? I have no idea to this day. 

I actually miss that rig. So much effort went into it trying to get it to work. (Mainly because it was in the dark, but hey.) I miss my old 6870. 

And then look at the aurora gaming rig logic, they have a cpu liquid cooler with a k series processor, ya ya i do not think the r9 270 is gonna be bottlenecked by a stock frequency core i7...

person below me is a scrub

I would buy an Alienware desktop, only to rip out the parts and put in my own. Their cases look great (if you like that aesthetic).

But only if I had money to throw away.

How to Post Topics, the Right Way / The Ultimate Build Parts List

"4 words. DON'T BE A DUMBASS" ~@Swndlr