Why mount a radiator on the top?

If hot air is being exhausted out the top, why put a radiator there?

Where else would you put it? On the side panel? 

I have actually seen someone do that.

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

Not all PCs have top exhaust. It's the wise thing to do but you could do it the opposite way. If in fact the hot air exhaust through the top, then yes, it's not the most efficient place to mount the radiator since you want the coldest air running through it - "not the most efficient" : strictly speaking of rad heat exchange efficiency.

The thing is if you mount it on the bottom, then you heat up the inside intake of your case, which heat up your components, which in turn will exhaust more heat to the radiator until an equilibrium is reached. You'll probably end up running your components hotter then than if you mount it on the top. 

The most efficient way would be to mount it in a separate cross flow compartment in your case, but not many cases have that.

Spoiler

you could put it on the front, i also agree that the top is bad in that way

CPU: i7 8700k Motherboard: MSI Z370 Krait Gaming RAM: 4x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro (2 white, 2 black) GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor Case: Corsair Crystal 570x White HDD: 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm Sata 3 SSD: 240GB Corsair Force 3 + 500GB Samsung 970 Evo Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series™ H150i PSU: Corsair RM750i OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown Monitor: Samsung S24C570L 1080p 23.6" + AOC AGON 240Hz 1080p Sound: HyperX Cloud Headset Black/Red + Logitech Z213 Speakers 2.1

Hot Air Rises

Edit: Oh a Rad. Disregard What I said. I thought you just meant fans in general.  

Case:Define R4 | MOBO:ASRock z75 Pro 3 | CPU:i7-3770k 4.0GHz | CPU Cooler:H100i | GPU:970 Strix | RAM:Hyper X 16GB | 

Peripherals:ATH-M50x Limited Blue Edition | K95 RGB | M65 RGB | Blue Yeti MIC | (3x)1920x2080 Acer Monitors

Please no...

I guess it's better than an external radiator. 

I once thought about it but it would make closing my case extremely difficult and I don't want to deal with that lol.

That is when I wanted to install a second rad in my old core 2 quad loop.

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

Cause its usually the only place in most cases where you can mount a dual radiator. Some people put them on the rear exhaust if its a single rad. The tubing is usually not long enough on an AIO to reach the front or bottom case intakes.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Depends on what setup you have and how much you care about 1 - 3 degrees Celsius better or worse temps. 

The common reason for top mounted rads, is short tubing on AIO's or working with convection, hot air rises.

In builds with CPU + GPU's water cooled you can have all the rads as intakes (fresh air over the rads) and a single rear exhaust fans for example, won't matter.

Some people just want to maintain a certain airflow path in their case, for example front intake rad, top exhaust rad.

Cases like the Obsidian's from Corsair have less airflow restriction at the top. 

There are a thousands of reason why one would go for a certain rad setup. 

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

My radiator is on the top because my front fans pull cool air in, hot air is exhausted out of the back and sides, and the radiator pulls the coolest air from the top. That helps the radiator cool the CPU faster since once you start using liquids to move heat away from the CPU, the air cooling across the radiator becomes a thermal bottleneck anyway.

Plus the top is where there's room for the thing in the first place. Big-ass H100i radiator won't fit anywhere else in my case.

Git Gud.

there shouldnt be too much hot air anyway if you have a loop imo. All the heat is in the loop and the rad... other components might be 30-40 which is negligable (the vrm might get hot but its at the very top so whatever).

I have a H60 so its mounted in the rear push pull exhaust. honestly there are pros and cons to different ways of mounting radiators, including fan configurations. its just a matter of what works best in your scenario.

Hot Air Rises

Edit: Oh a Rad. Disregard What I said. I thought you just meant fans in general.  

hot air doesn't rise in a PC case unless you have atrocious air flow.  Air will ALWAYS go where it is pushed, unless it's allowed to sit and do nothing for long periods of time.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

hot air doesn't rise in a PC case unless you have atrocious air flow.  Air will ALWAYS go where it is pushed, unless it's allowed to sit and do nothing for long periods of time.

You should point out that, that is your opinion. Neither of us knows what actually happens, it's all fine to make conclusions up but it's not OK to claim another reasonable conclusion is incorrect based on your own conclusion that isn't backed up by anything but words at this current time.

You should point out that, that is your opinion. Neither of us knows what actually happens, it's all fine to make conclusions up but it's not OK to claim another reasonable conclusion is incorrect based on your own conclusion that isn't backed up by anything but words at this current time.

???

What?

If you're pushing air around, how is it going to have time to "rise"?  If you're simply pushing it or pulling it in a direction, it's only going to continue going in that direction.

Hot air naturally rises because it is less dense than cold air, but if you have a fan pushing that air in a different direction, it will never rise. It's simple lol.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

To send the hot air out of the case faster.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.